Round The Way Girl [BOOK 1]

By AimlessThoughts

He is the CEO of one of the biggest companies in America. He's all about his work and business. He doesn't ha... More

Author's Note.
Intro
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Epilogue

Chapter Nine

77.5K 2.4K 542
By AimlessThoughts

Chapter Nine: "Opposites Attract"

Akira:

I didn't have anything else to say to Chresanto after that. He didn't speak to me. We barely said anything to each other for the next few days. To be honest, I didn't mind it. Yet, a part of me was worried. Yup, you heard me right. I'm worried about him. He's basically been walking around like a zombie. I didn't get the remarks from him I always got. Whenever I threw an insult out there, I didn't get anything back.

It's almost like whoever this Kimmie girl is opened a door to sadness for Chresanto. I've gone to Kyle for answers, but he won't tell me anything. I'm barely speaking to Chresanto, and Kyle isn't speaking at all. Makes me feel so uncomfortable around them. Yet I have to say, no one can hide emotions like Chresanto. When we're out in public together he's smiling and everything. You wouldn't think anything was wrong. Of course that doesn't fool me. I learned something about Chresanto in this past month. When he's feeling something..he knows how to hide it. His eyes don't mask the emotion he's feeling. They drain it. His eyes show a blank look when he's feeling something.

Like a poker face. He's very good at it. I sighed and stared at myself in the mirror. My hair was down and curled nicely. It was pinned so that all my hair was swept to the right. I had some light makeup on my face with some bright red lipstick. I had some very expensive looking earrings in my ears. They dangled, the diamonds in the twinkling in the light. I brought my chin up slightly. I began to admire the necklace on my neck. It had some beautiful dark red rubies.

I ran my hands down the side of my body admiring myself in this gown. I'm going to a benefit ball with Chresanto. It's supposed to be a big thing. It happens every year and many people are gonna be there. Not only will Sally be there, but a bunch of other business men and women, along with celebrities.

The gown was bright red, like my lipstick, strapless and long. It trailed down to the ground, there were slight horizontal ruffles at the bottom. Touched the ground but was easy to walk with, the back trailed a small bit. I wore some red heels with it. Red was my color. At least that's what Chresanto said. I wanted to get something blue, but he stopped me.

"You look better in red. Just something I've noticed." Were his words. Something in that one sentence made me feel a sort of way. Not only because those were the first words he'd said to me in a while, but he noticed. He pays attention.

I found myself smiling and playing around with my fingers. I wonder what I have to do to get him to trust me. It can't be this hard.

"Akira," A voice called out to me. It wasn't Chresanto, It was Kyle. He stood in my doorway leaning against the door frame looking at me with a torn expression. I nearly rushed over to him, like a worried mother.

"What's wrong?" I questioned, my brows furrowing and he avoided eye contact with me. Almost like he was nervous. He glanced out in the hallway once before looking my way.

"I can't say anything to you about Kimmie...it's not my business to say. But...Chresanto needs to talk to someone. If not me, than you. If you just give him a little push I'm sure he'll say something. You're the first person to challenge Chresanto in a while." Kyle spoke quickly and softly. It all was being thrown at me so fast I wasn't sure what to say back. It wouldn't matter because I didn't get a chance. Chresanto was soon standing behind Kyle with a scowl on his face. Well, for a moment. He looked over at Kyle blankly before looking at me. He looked me up and down about three times before muttering and walking back down the hallway. I sighed and looked down at the ground for a bit before looking up to see Kyle still there.

He gave me a slight nod before leaving, having me stand there by myself. I strolled over to my bed and grabbed my gold purse before walking out my room to see Chresanto and Kyle exchanging some words. They looked over at me at the same time and that's when I got a good look of Chresanto. I have to admit he looked......handsome. He wore a nice jet black suit, white undershirt with a matching black bow tie. He's clearly spicing it up. I've only seen him wear a necktie.

"Are you gonna stand there and drool over me or are we gonna leave?" He spoke bitterly. I ripped my eyes from him. I wasn't drooling. I was just looking at his outfit. When I looked up at him again I rolled my eyes. I walked past them, bumping shoulders with Chresanto. It was not on purpose. Bumping shoulders with him caused me to stumble slightly, and nearly fall to the ground. He was sturdy. It's like my shoulder bump had no effect. I thought I was gonna fall onto the ground and meet the carpet floor, but I didn't. I was caught. Someone's strong arms were wrapped around me. One arm around my waist and the other on my arm. I looked up to meet Chresanto's amused expression.

First real smile I've seen him wear in the last few days.

"You are so clumsy." He said. He grinned but the grin left as fast as it came. He dropped his arms from my body and I cleared my throat. I walked over to the staircase and looked at Chresanto.

"Are we going?" I questioned a bit harsher than intended. I didn't wait for a response. I began walking down the stairs, holding my dress up to keep from tripping. I exhaled slowly, relieved as I reached the bottom of the stairs. I spun around and looked to see kyle walking down the stairs, Chresanto walking behind him at a slower pace.

Once Kyle left it was how it was before. Silence. No words shared. I didn't say anything. He didn't say anything. The limo came and we hopped in. The ride was quiet and long. I almost asked, 'Are we there yet?' to the driver. My question was answered when the limo came to a gentle stop. I could hear the chatter of paparazzi from outside and physically hear the snaps as pictures were being taken.

Chresanto was the first to step out the limo, the camera flashes becoming brighter. I scoot forward and grabbed Chresanto's hand that was out for me. I stepped out the limo and my eyes widen. The flashes were so much. Chresanto and I ignored the questions being shouted at us as we walked down the beautiful red carpet.

"How much did that wedding ring cost?!" Someone called out. As a reflex I glanced down at my hand. I nearly forgot I had it on. When we got into the building we walked past security. We walked through some double doors and into a glamorous ballroom where there were many people. Some talking, others drinking and a few couples dancing.

I was blown away. My eyes swept over the whole place. I took in everything from the chandeliers to the many tables where people sat. Some faces were familiar, as in I've seen them on TV. Chresanto walked me over to a table where there was a nice piece of decorated paper with our names on them.

'Mr & Mrs. August' I stared at the paper for the longest time. We're not even 'married' yet. So seeing people refer to me as Mrs. August was a tough hit. Some people are really buying this. Some people are really seeing Chresanto and I together.

I took my seat, not minding Chresanto who didn't sit yet. He looked like he was looking for someone. I'm guessing he's looking for Sally. We'll have to put on another wonderful show, which I'm sure is just...great. Ugh. I placed my purse on the table and sat there looking around. I wasn't looking at anyone in particular, I was just processing the fact that I'm here.

I looked back at my hands which were resting in my lap.

"Akira," Chresanto called taking a hold of my hand. I stood up right away and looked at him with confusion. He clearly understood the questioned I asked him through my eyes. All he did was sigh and smile slightly. A weak, but real, smile.

"I have people you need to meet. Some of my business partners have been eager to to meet you." He explained. I nodded my head and gulped loudly. Let's do this. We didn't even need to walk up to people. They were walking up to us. Most of the men were in their late 30's? All of them had wives and the wives were very friendly to me. They smile, gave me a hug and complimented me. We were asked the same question over and over again.

How did we meet. I can say that I've already explained it about 7 times. I'm starting to get tired of it myself.

"It was so nice to meet you," I said to Caroline as her and her husband Matthew walked away. Matthew is Chresanto's accountant. He asked me if Chresanto and I were gonna join our accounts soon. I brushed the question off with a awkward laugh and shook my head.

"Well they're nice," I commented to Chresanto. I looked up at him and he nodded.

"Matthew and his wife are good people. I can honestly say that Matthew is one of the people I can trust with my money." Chresanto admitted, though he wasn't looking at me as he spoke. We had been offered wine earlier and I denied it. I'm not here to get drunk. Chresanto accepted it. He drank that wine so fast, and I'm hoping that's his last for the night.

"Chresanto!" A voice hollered from behind us. We spun around and there stood a man that looked no older than Chresanto. They could be the same ange. Beside him was Sally. Sally gave us both a smile. I smiled back and looked up at Chresanto. He wasn't smiling. He was staring with an icy expression. His eyes were focused on the man that stood beside Sally. This man clearly wasn't with Sally because I know what Sally's husband looks like, so who is he?

"Chresanto, how are you old buddy?" The guy said, but it wasn't long before his eyes fell to me. The corner of his lips turned up even more.

"Justin, we don't need to act like we're friends." Chresanto said bluntly, his grip around my waist tighten which caused me to look back up at him.

Justin ignored Chresanto completely. I had his attention.

"So you're the wonderful Akira." Justin said stretching his hand out. I managed a strained smile and shook his hand. Justin is white with dark brown hair that is gelled up. He had amazing blue eyes and some slight green in there. The contours of his face are very rigid. Nice jawline and a nice smile, but it was one of those sneaky looking smiles.

"Nice to meet you Justin." I spoke, my voice coming off softly.

"Let me say," Justin began, releasing my hand, "Chresanto is very lucky to have you. I was worried that Chresanto wouldn't be able to take good care of such a wonderful woman like you."

I didn't know how to respond. I was surprised by his statement. He's just like Chresanto. Honest and slick with it.

"It's nice seeing you Sally," I said waving slightly. She beamed our way and nodded.

"It's nice seeing you too." She said. She looked so weary and tired. I couldn't explain the look on her face. I stepped away from Chresanto who opened his mouth, ready to question me. I put a hand up telling him to wait.

"I'm gonna go talk to Sally alright?" I explained. Chresanto nodded and didn't protest. I walked over to Sally and led her away from Chresanto and Justin.

"Sally..are you alright?" I questioned. I kept my voice gentle. I can say that I'm truly concerned.

"Yes of course I am." She answered quickly. Too quickly.

"I don't believe that," I admitted, "It's clear in your eyes. Something is bothering you. Is everything alright?"

"We're not even friends." She snapped defensively. I shrugged my shoulders and nodded my head.

"Yeah, we're not friends. But that doesn't mean you can't talk to me." I noted looking at her directly.

She seemed a bit torn. She looked up at me and then the ground and back at me again.

"Have you...have you ever felt like people expected something out of you? Like they said you should be a certain way? It can be so hard. Having people's eyes on you at all times. No matter what you do you'll be judge. It starts to crack you. You get put under pressure and it makes become stressed," She paused and ran her fingers through her hair.

"My husband and I..." She trailed off and shook her head, the sad look in her eyes disappearing.

"I don't need to tell you anything, you don't know me. I doubt you'll understand." She said suddenly, putting up an affront. I didn't retaliate or snap back. She doesn't have to tell me so I'm not gonna push her.

"It's alright Sally, you don't have to tell me. but can I tell you something?" I nearly whispered narrowing my eyes at her.

She nodded her head and crossed her arms over her chest, "Sure."

"I know just the way you feel. But I learned that since they'll judge you no matter what you do, might as well do what you love. Might as well be happy. I'd rather be judged and happy with myself than judged and in a depressing state. So I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life or anything...but make sure you're happy. That's all that matters." I finished.

I was waiting for her to say something back. Her arms slowly unfolded themselves as she gawked at me.

"You...you are so interesting," She blurted out. I raised my eyebrows at her, but she continued.

"I remember when I first met you, how angry you got at the fact that I was calling your thing with Chresanto fake..but you're still kind to me. The fact that you could get so angry but still be this sweet.," She chuckled, "You're so different from Chresanto. He'd remember what I said and hold me to it."

"Opposites attract." Was all I could say about it.

"Well, I still don't know. We'll see. You're a wonderful girl and I would hate to figure out that you've been lying to me this whole time." She stated before giving a pained smile and walking away. I spun around to see Chresanto and Justin speaking. It looked like a very intense conversation that could get physical at any moment.

I took a few steps closer to them so I was in hearing range.

"You really think you're gonna get this deal? Sally doesn't believe you and Akira are a thing. Even if you two are together, I'm gonna get the company." Justin snarled at Chresanto.

"Keep thinking that Justin. I have this deal in the bag. Akira and I are happy together so do me a favor? Don't think you have any right to say anything about my relationship." Chresanto hissed.

"It doesn't matter," Justin sneered, "When this is over I'll be above you for once, I'll have the eHarmony AND I'll have your fiance."

I watched Chresanto's hands ball up into fists as him and Justin glowered at each other. I rushed over taking Chresanto's closed fist and opening it to entwine our fingers. I held his hand and looked up at him with a small smile.

"Is everything okay?" I said looking at Justin. Justin nodded, smiling widely at me.

"I'll see you around Akira. Chresanto." Justin said dismissing himself quickly. I didn't let go of Chresanto's hand as I looked up at him and he looked at me.

"Calm down okay? You don't want to do anything that will end you up in the papers. Don't let him get to you either. Let's go sit. They are starting to serve the food." I said quietly. He nodded vigorously and squeezed my hand. We walked to our table and took our seats. Our seats were rather close together and as everyone else was finding their seats and the people at our table were arriving I realized I was still holding hands with Chresanto. I looked down at our hands and a flutter happened in my heart.

I looked away, my face heating up as I blushed. I slowly pulled my hand away from him, making him look my way. It was a quick glance. He looked away a second later.

They brought the food out and we began to eat. There was conversation all over the place. Everyone was talking. Everyone but me. I didn't have much to say. I was enjoying the food. Every once in awhile someone will ask me a question and I'll answer but that's it.

They started playing the music again and couples started to walk to the dance floor to dance. I want to dance. I glanced over at Chresanto who was in a conversation with someone. I looked away from him and grabbed my purse opening it and pulling out my phone. I checked for any calls or messages. I didn't get any. I sighed and put it away.

"Hey, Akira." Chresanto said to me. I looked over at him and he nodded towards the dance floor.

"Let's dance." He said. Before I could say anything he had me on my feet and was leading me to the dance floor. We stood there for a moment before he wrapped his arms around my waist and I put my arms around his neck. He put his hand on the small of my back and pushed me closer to him. I caught my breath but didn't say anything. We started moving side to side to the music. I didn't know where to look. Should I look at him? Should I look at the ground?

"I never told you..." He begins trailing off till he had my attention, "I never told you...but I think you look really...really..good tonight."

I giggled, "Well, thank you. I guess you were right. I do look better in red."

He chuckled and nodded, "I'm always right."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes and shaking my head.

"And there's the ego, I was waiting for it." I admitted laughing slightly, "You've been so...quiet lately."

He cleared his throat and looked down at the ground for a long moment.

"I don't know what's bothering you....but you know you can tell me right?" I nearly whispered, "I mean...being a guy that's always working and alone-"

"You don't know anything about me." Chresanto retorted quietly, finally looking up at me. I nodded my head.

"That's my point. I don't know anything about you. You're so closed off and reserved." I spoke in a hushed tone.

"I wouldn't say that." He replied gently.

"But I would and so would everyone else. You think money can fix everything, you think you're above everyone and you don't seem to care for anyone's feelings. It's not a good look. That's probably another reason Sally doesn't want to sell you the company." I noted.

Chresanto and I were staring into each others eyes intensely. In a sort of way, I was lost in his eyes. His beautiful brown eyes had my lost for a moment.

"I am who I am." Was all he had to say in return. I wasn't planning on going on with the conversation. The song changed and I knew this song.

'Could' by Brian McKnight. My mom would play this song all the time. We danced in silence. It was very peaceful and though I didn't know if we should keep eye contact, we did keep eye contact.

"Is Sally watching us?" I questioned looking around the ballroom.

"I don't know." Chresanto answered not seeming to care either way. Which surprised me. Without thinking I moved even closer to Chresanto resting my head on his shoulder. He was clearly thrown off, and hesitant. His arms wrapped around me even tighter and I can honestly say in this moment....

Chresanto isn't as bad as I thought he was.

We stayed like that for a good four or five songs as others couples did. It was very calming dancing with Chresanto. I can honestly say I had a good time.

*~*~*~*

"Chresanto!" I called out as we walked into the house. I closed the door behind me as he walked through the lobby to the living room.

"Akira let it go!" He exclaimed at me. I followed him to the the living room.

"No! Chresanto I will not let it go. Whether you like it or not, you're gonna tell me who Kimmie is!" I hollered at him.

"Akira I already told you...I don't have to tell you ANYTHING. Let it go! Leave me alone. Kimmie is none of your business. If you're mad about that than go cry to your mom or something." He said relentlessly.

That hit a nerve. Go cry to my mom? He took a step to walk away and I rushed to get in front of him. I nearly tripped on my dress but it didn't matter to me.

"I can't. I can't go cry to my mom! that's why I'm trying to figure you out Chresanto! You don't know how good you have it! You don't know at all! It has nothing to do with your money. It's not your money I want. It's the family you have. Kyle told me. You have your father, your mother, your grandparents, a sister, a brother and aunts and uncles. Yet you have chosen to ignore those people! So don't you dare sit there and tell me to go cry to my mom. My mom, Joy and liberty are the only family I have. My mom wants nothing to do with me and there's nothing I can do about it. My father left. He was there for a good 3 years of Joy's life but when I came along, he left. He didn't want me. He could handle Joy but I was too much. Yet you DARE sit here and ignore that family of yours? I'm sure your mother loves you and I'm sure your father loves you. So how DARE YOU. How. Dare. You." I finished tears burning my eyes, but none fell.

We stood there in silence. Chresanto stared at me and for once I could see the compassion in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry about all that but I just can't face my family. I can't see them." He said cooly.

"Why?!"

"Because I can't live with the guilt!" He shouted, louder than I've ever heard him shout. It became quiet as we stood there glaring at each other, no one was backing down.

He sighed and quickly took a seat on the couch, keeping his eyes on the floor.

"K-Kimmie was my little sister." He said. That caught my attention. I didn't move from my spot but my eyes stayed on him.

"She was 5 years old, like Liberty. If I showed you a picture you would see why I called Liberty Kimmie. They really look alike. Kimmie was just like Liberty. Happy, outgoing, sweet and very sweet. I..." He paused for a moment taking a breath, "I did everything for her. She was my little sister and I'm her big brother. I loved her more anything. She brought happiness in my life. If she wanted the moon and I could buy it I would." He chuckled but it was a bitter chuckle.

"It didn't matter where I was or what I was doing...I would drop it all if she needed me. She was my sidekick, always by my side. I'd bring her to work and everyone loved her. It was just fun having her around. Then there came a day. It was 3 days after Easter cause I remember she was talking about an egg she hid and never found cause she forgot where she placed it. She was sitting in the backseat with her booster seat. My mom was in the passengers seat. We were driving to Chuck E. Cheese because one of Kimmie's friends were turning 6. When I was driving I guess I looked away from the road...I don't remember what i was doing. I was probably distracted but that made such a big difference, that changed everything. The light turned red and I wasn't looking so I kept going. In the middle of the intersection another car crashed into the side of mine." He sucked in a deep breath and I couldn't hold back the tears. They welled up in my eyes as I stared at him. He didn't look up.

"The car was small compared to mine. I had a Range Rover and the other car was small. It hit the right side, so my mom's side. It crashed into the back right side of my car, but the impact was crazy, the driver was speeding. I blacked out as soon as the car hit us. I woke up in the hospital and for a go three hours after waking up I didn't remember anything. After I remembered the first thing I asked was where is Kimmie and my mom? They told me my mom is fine. But when I asked them about Kimmie...they couldn't look at me. They would lower their heads. That's when I knew it.That Kimmie was dead. But I had to hear it myself. I told the doctor to tell me. I told him tell me because I wanted to know." He said.

"Chresanto stop, stop. You don't have to say anymore." I said as I blinked tears ran down my cheek, but I was ignored. He went on talking.

"I thought I could handle it. But I couldn't. I broke out in tears and I didn't care who saw me cry. My little sister only got to live 5 years of her life and It's all my fault. She was gone and there was no way of getting her back. There's nothing the doctors could do. They said she died on impact..so she had no chance." Chresanto suddenly stood up staring at me with watery eyes.

"It's all my fault. It's ALL my fault. I don't want to hear anyone say it wasn't because It was. I wasn't paying attention to the road and I ran a red light. What kind of brother am I? Huh? I was suppose to protect her! I was suppose to watch out for her and make sure she was safe. What kind of big brother am I ?! A awful one. I couldn't fucking protect her! Kimmie died because of my stupidity. I was stupid. SO STUPID. My mom's legs got messed up and she was in a wheelchair for 8 months before she could even use crutches. I barely got hurt. Not much happened to me. So my sister is gone and my mom was crippled. My mom can walk perfectly fine now, but that was a tough time for her. For all of us. The funeral was awful. I couldn't stand to be there. I felt like everyone was staring at me with hate. I felt like everyone was blaming me. I know they were. I blame myself. I was told by the family that they didn't blame me. But I know it's a lie. So that was the last time I saw the family. Kimmie's funeral was the last time I spoke to my family. That was 2 years ago. I can't face them. I always feel like they all have a secret hate for me. If I could go back in time. I would do ANYTHING to prevent that day. I'd rather have it be me then Kimmie." He stopped for a moment clenching his fists and his jaw clenched also. He blinked and a few tears fell. He paced around a bit mumbling something to himself.

"I was suppose to protect...I was suppose to protect her. She was so young! It's all my fault. It's all my fault!" At the end of that sentence he threw a hard punch at the wall, making me cover my mouth with my hand. Though the anger was on his face, tears kept falling from his cheeks. There was a dent in the wall. It wasn't a hole, but he did damage. That's when I walked over to him and with no words pulled him into a hug. He basically crumpled in my arms as he buried his face in my shoulder. His arms wrapped around me and pulled me closer to him. I could feel his tears as they wet my shoulder but I didn't care.

"I'm sorry I'm such an awful person." He mumbled softly.

"You're not an awful person." I responded. We stood there like that for so long, and I didn't care how long we stood there for.

Chresanto is broken. He's not rude, mean, or self centered. He's broken. It's about time he stops pretending he's been fixed.

--------------

Comment & Vote!! :D It means a lot to me! :DD

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 159 19
What will happen when a handsome, rich, cold, billionaire CEO of kim corporations fell in love with his beautiful yet kind hearted secretary whose bf...
786K 20.2K 25
" Love is two people playing pretend in order to have an excuse for being stupid." Landon Marks is CEO of the Fortune 500 company "Mark It". He has...
67 0 8
Emily is a college student that takes pride in her school work, she rarely ever goes out to parties. She likes to keep to her self and has a few real...
586 1 20
May got this new job in a new city far from her passed she works for a huge shipping company now with the CEO an when she meets him her heart pounds...