Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three: "A Crumbling Foundation"

Chresanto:

We manage to escape from Kaela when we climbed onto the ferris wheel. Though Akira and I didn't speak much. We sat there in a comfortable silence. She sat beside me, leaning into me while my arm was wrapped around her shoulder. She stared up at the transparent ceiling of the carriage. I found myself closing my eyes as time went on.  I wasn't asleep, I was just thinking.

Akira and I getting married for real? It would be just like how everything is now....but real? Although a part of me wants to, another chunk of me shudders at the thought of marrying anyone. I felt Akira shift beside me. My eyes opened and glanced at her. Her eyes were also closed, and she breathing was very even. Did she fall asleep?

I chuckled, closing my eyes once again. It wasn't long before we had to get off the ferris wheel. I shook her gently till her eyes fluttered opened. She quickly sat up, stretching her arms out, a small yawn leaving her lips.

"You're tired already?" I teased. She showed me a wear smile. I slowly stood up in the rocking carriage. I hopped out before lending Akira a hand.

"Are you guys finally done with the Ferris wheel?" A familiar voice chimed from the distance. I sighed, closing my eyes. i was pretty sure we had lost her.

"Did you wait for us this whole time?" I questioned, my brows furrowed. Kaela's smile didn't waver as she nodded. She skipped forward and grabbed my arm, dragging me forward. I removed my arm from her grip, looking behind me at Akira whose attention was on her phone. She pressed a few buttons before shoving it into her pocket. She looked up to meet my eyes and chuckled, before making her way towards me. Without a word, she walked up to me, pushing Kaela to the side. I noticed Akira's suddenly aggressive response to Kaela. Honestly, it's not bothering me. I find it kind of.....hot.

"Chresanto," Kaela voiced walking around to my other side, though she didn't grab my arm like I expected. When we get back to the house, I think we have somethings to discuss." I glanced at her, rolling my eyes.

"Like what?" I questioned as Akira pointed out a stand selling food.

"Why I left years ago. You never gave me a chance to explain myself."

"I don't care," I retorted, "It's not going to change anything."

She snickered, shaking her head at me. "I really think it will. Just give me 10 minutes. Let's speak as adults, and stop with this petty stuff. right Akira?" She leaned forward to throw Akira a fake smile.

"Sure," Akira voiced after some time, "If you're gonna speak like adults then there is nothing wrong with that." Akira stared up at me. She nodded at me, showing a sort of weary smile. As we approached the food stand, her attention was diverted.

She loosened her grip on my arm, before letting on completely. She practically ran to the stand. She resembled an excited six year old child. I shoved my hands into my pockets, laughing at her behavior.

"Chresanto," Kaela called, "So you'll talk with me right?" I was hesitant as I brought my steps to a slow stop.

"Okay, sure." I answered kindly. I forced a smile onto my lips before looking towards Akira. She was waiting in line, looking at the order board. I stayed in my place, watching from afar.

"You really like her?" Kaela suddenly voiced from beside me. I ignored the statement, although it didn't come off as rude. It was a sincere questioned. I glanced over at Kalea whose attention was now on her phone. She was scrolling through something, reading rapidly. As I kept my gaze on her, I began to notice the small things.