Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine: "Opposites Attract"

Akira:

I didn't have anything else to say to Chresanto after that. He didn't speak to me. We barely said anything to each other for the next few days. To be honest, I didn't mind it. Yet, a part of me was worried. Yup, you heard me right. I'm worried about him. He's basically been walking around like a zombie. I didn't get the remarks from him I always got. Whenever I threw an insult out there, I didn't get anything back.

It's almost like whoever this Kimmie girl is opened a door to sadness for Chresanto. I've gone to Kyle for answers, but he won't tell me anything. I'm barely speaking to Chresanto, and Kyle isn't speaking at all. Makes me feel so uncomfortable around them. Yet I have to say, no one can hide emotions like Chresanto. When we're out in public together he's smiling and everything. You wouldn't think anything was wrong. Of course that doesn't fool me. I learned something about Chresanto in this past month. When he's feeling something..he knows how to hide it. His eyes don't mask the emotion he's feeling. They drain it. His eyes show a blank look when he's feeling something.

Like a poker face. He's very good at it. I sighed and stared at myself in the mirror. My hair was down and curled nicely. It was pinned so that all my hair was swept to the right. I had some light makeup on my face with some bright red lipstick. I had some very expensive looking earrings in my ears. They dangled, the diamonds in the twinkling in the light. I brought my chin up slightly. I began to admire the necklace on my neck. It had some beautiful dark red rubies.

I ran my hands down the side of my body admiring myself in this gown. I'm going to a benefit ball with Chresanto. It's supposed to be a big thing. It happens every year and many people are gonna be there. Not only will Sally be there, but a bunch of other business men and women, along with celebrities.

The gown was bright red, like my lipstick, strapless and long. It trailed down to the ground, there were slight horizontal ruffles at the bottom. Touched the ground but was easy to walk with, the back trailed a small bit. I wore some red heels with it. Red was my color. At least that's what Chresanto said. I wanted to get something blue, but he stopped me.

"You look better in red. Just something I've noticed." Were his words. Something in that one sentence made me feel a sort of way. Not only because those were the first words he'd said to me in a while, but he noticed. He pays attention.

I found myself smiling and playing around with my fingers. I wonder what I have to do to get him to trust me. It can't be this hard.

"Akira," A voice called out to me. It wasn't Chresanto, It was Kyle. He stood in my doorway leaning against the door frame looking at me with a torn expression. I nearly rushed over to him, like a worried mother.

"What's wrong?" I questioned, my brows furrowing and he avoided eye contact with me. Almost like he was nervous. He glanced out in the hallway once before looking my way.

"I can't say anything to you about Kimmie...it's not my business to say. But...Chresanto needs to talk to someone. If not me, than you. If you just give him a little push I'm sure he'll say something. You're the first person to challenge Chresanto in a while." Kyle spoke quickly and softly. It all was being thrown at me so fast I wasn't sure what to say back. It wouldn't matter because I didn't get a chance. Chresanto was soon standing behind Kyle with a scowl on his face. Well, for a moment. He looked over at Kyle blankly before looking at me. He looked me up and down about three times before muttering and walking back down the hallway. I sighed and looked down at the ground for a bit before looking up to see Kyle still there.

He gave me a slight nod before leaving, having me stand there by myself. I strolled over to my bed and grabbed my gold purse before walking out my room to see Chresanto and Kyle exchanging some words. They looked over at me at the same time and that's when I got a good look of Chresanto. I have to admit he looked......handsome. He wore a nice jet black suit, white undershirt with a matching black bow tie. He's clearly spicing it up. I've only seen him wear a necktie.