Hero's Journey

By SkyAngel_

Kagon of Pik is a hero that goes wherever adventure takes him. All he wants in life is action and a heroic j... More

Hero
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author's Note, Please Read
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Tag ^_^
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Author's Note:
Chapter 49
Author's Note
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
New Book Cover!
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
IMPORTANT!:
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
Copyright
Critique

Chapter 35

19 2 8
By SkyAngel_

The great opening of the cave yawns wide like the maw of a great beast or lion. Steady drip drops plop on to the rough stone ground made smooth by many a miner's footstep.

"This is not a good idea, Kagon." Delia says, shifting from foot to foot.

Kagon grins as wide as the miner's cave. "Keep quiet, writer Delia. This will be as easy as gooseberry pie."

"We don't know anything about this beast, we're not even sure what it looks like!" The scribe gives the older man an exasperated look.

Kagon only shrugs off Delia's concern.

He's driving me insane. Delia innerly laments.

"How about you stay outside and catch up on your writing. Now that we've both shared our stories from when we were apart I'm sure you have much to write about."

Delia shakes her head. "No, I'll come with you. The last time you left me alone outside a cave I was frozen in a block of ice and that was when we knew what we were facing. I can only imagine what would happen now."

"So be it." Kagon says. "Just don't wander off."

At that the hero ventures into the cave after whatever terrifying foe he is to face, his scribe following closely after.

Both Delia's and Kagon's footsteps echo throughout the cave with every step, causing Delia to throw nervous glances over her shoulder and grip the torch she holds harder.

Kagon places a hand on her arm, causing her to jump.  "Don't be a coward, Delia!  Nothing will sneak up on me!"

Kagon's booming voice vibrates and echoes loudly throughout the cave, causing her to visibly wince.

"You should keep your voice down." Delia whispers. 

Kagon's boisterous laughter seems almost sinister as it echoes back.  "Let the beastie find us!  It will only make my job easier!"

Delia sighs in frustration, the hero causing irritation to flash through her like a spotlight of burning sunlight. "You're going to get yourself killed one day, Kagon!" She shouts, her own voice bouncing back to her lips.

Even in the small amount of light Delia's torch offers she can still make out Kagon's twinkling sky blue eyes. "If I die then it better be a glorious death!"

The girl's fingers twitch at her side with her want to strangle the cocky man. However, all anger rushes out of her when she hears what echoes back.

Die, die, die.

The voice isn't Kagon's.

"Finally some action!" The blond cracks his knuckles.

Delia feels like a bowl filled shallowly with liquid fear.

Kagon brandishes his beautifully crafted sword.  The gold seems to glow a bright yellow in the blackness surrounding them, slightly illuminating the tunnel around them along with the torch Delia bears.

Delia looks from side to side, feeling as if there is evil within every stretching shadow. She lightly touches her side, nearly expecting to have a weapon sheathed around her waste. She only touches fabric.

"Kagon." Delia swallows fretfully. "You saw that I can fight, lend me a knife or something. I don't like being without a weapon, not here."

"I can protect you. You shouldn't have to fight even if you can. It's not fit for a young lady." He answers simply. "Not to mention, you have to hold the torch."

Even after everything, even after I killed someone, a Shadowlander, for survival he still won't let me fight by his side....

Suddenly there's a snapping sound to their right. Immediately Kagon kicks into action, shoving Delia behind him and getting into a defensive stance.

From behind him Delia leans down and picks a sharp stone from off of the slick, rocky floor.

Then, it happens. In one deadly movement some creature tosses a gigantic spear from the shadows.  Kagon and Delia both duck on instinct, the torch falling from her grip and sputtering on the ground.

The long rod of the spear sticks securely into the wall behind them. If they wouldn't have ducked they would of been impaled.

"Step into my blade's glow so I can see you, you yellow-bellied weakling!" Kagon taunts. "There is no honor in a battle fought from the shadows."

Delia bites her lip fearfully, trying to stare into the darkness surrounding the dim yellow light Kagon's blade offers. All her eyes are met with is utter oblivion. It is far too dark to see anything beyond the light. Even the sputtering torch she dropped has long since been extinguished from the wet, dripping spears of stone above them. Without its steady warmth a chill comes over her, causing goose-pimples to arise on her skin.

Out from the darkness comes a chorus of quiet, malignant sniggering that only adds more goosebumps to Delia's collection.

"Is there more than one?" Delia asks in horror.

"That's what it seems like." The hero says. "That or the monster has more than one head."

That's just great...

The thought has hardly a moment to process as another spear is thrown. Once again the pair barely dodge the weapon.

"Fine, have it your way. I'll go in after you then!" Kagon shouts, angrily.

"Kagon--"

He cuts her off. "Stop your fretting, lass."

At that he moves closer, the light his sword casts eliminating the darkness as they traipse closer.

Chhh

Hearing the scuffle of small feet behind her, the writer wheels around, but there is nothing at eye level. Just when she is to shift her gaze lower something yanks Kagon to the ground.  He lets out a strangled holler that is swiftly quieted as his head hits the hard, wet stone floor.

"Kagon!" Delia shouts, wanting to run over to see if he's okay.

However, Delia stops herself, knowing that if she did it would leave her wide open for an attack. And it's not like she can defend them both if she too is incapacitated.

"Stay back!" Delia shouts, seeing the flash of greedy, glittering eyes and sharp teeth from the shadows.

The writer backs up, her heel lightly kicks the hilt of Kagon's fallen sword and she swiftly ditches the rock, grabbing the sword's hilt instead. The weapon is heavy, too heavy for her liking, but she has no problem holding it upright.

"Stay back!" Delia warns again, waving the blade out in front of her threateningly.

In the corner of her eye she sees Kagon's unconscious form move.  No, something is dragging it.

"Don't touch him!" Delia cuts an arc through the air and Kagon's body doesn't move any further.

They're at a stalemate.

At least that's what Delia thinks until a sharp weapon is aimed and launched directly at her.  It nearly slams into her shoulder, but Delia quickly moves to the side.  Even so, she still felt the spear slice her arm.

Liquid oozes from the wound, running down her arm and down Kagon's golden sword, marring it's perfect surface.  Delia seethes, not daring to grab her shoulder when even a moment's pause can have her speared.

The writer goes to stand in front of the hero, protecting the incapacitated man from getting himself impaled.  If they threw a weapon at her she didn't doubt they'd take advantage of his state and do the same to him.  Except he couldn't dodge like she had.

They have stealth on their side.  If I attempt to fight them head on it will only end in my and Kagon's death.  Better to temporarily retreat for now.  Delia curses beneath her breath. Sticks and stones, this wouldn't of had to happen if he would of just listened to me.

"Leave and we will be gone in peace." Delia tries to compromise.

A chorus of sniggers erupt from the gloom and Delia knows leaving in peace is impossible.

Fates, this can't be happening. Why didn't you train me in fighting Kagon! All this sword to me is a cudgel for all the swordplay I know!

Unsure what to do the girl turns her head back and forth wildly. From every side darkness eats away at the light the golden blade provides. Just from that she knows she's surrounded at all sides. So she does what any sane person, untrained in fighting would do.

"Help! Help!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 389 26
[𝐖𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐨𝐧, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐤𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐮𝐬: 𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜 𝐛𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐲 𝐮𝐬.] Qu...
242 19 8
The kingdom of Istamid is under the tyrannical rule of dragons, but there are still places where the dragons' presence isn't felt so strongly. One su...
21 9 14
"You will be reborn as hope, My boy Milagro, Oh sorry its Kaan now." "What Reborn!!?" What is this stupid god of tales saying. *** Kaan born to bring...
127 8 6
When the land of Verdun has lost all sense of hope, a warrior princess, Kara, and her charismatic companion, Darnel, run away in search of the infamo...