The Alpha Is My Key

By neary17

He was supposed to love me, with all of my flaws, all of my scars. He was destined to save me. But, he left m... More

Chapter 1
me trying to be...i have nothing. god, pathetic. hello. like me.
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Quick Update! (no such thing if you know me)
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Covers...
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Hold the pitch forks! (my witty attempt at recreating frankenstein in taimk)
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
my back is sweating real bad rn.
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
FOUR
Chapter 22

Chapter 14

9.7K 216 31
By neary17

Janie's POV

Here we were again, the cat chasing the mouse. Quite a dangerous game when werewolves were involved. As of right now, I was laying in his bed, on the brink of unconsciousness, struggling to fight the warm feeling that surrounded me. Brendan's arm was wrapped around my waist, and his snores rung gently throughout the room. The dark blush covering my cheeks was probably distinctive even in the dark.

Four Hours Earlier

My feet padded across the house, as I heard Brendan coming up behind me. Going out the door hadn't worked out so well for me, it was almost if Brendan could see what I was about to do from miles away. By now, I had passed the kitchen, dining room, living room, and I think I just ran around the kitchen counter again. I could never be sure in this maze of a house.

"Janie! Hey, oh gosh, Janie!" I could only hear amusement in his voice, but I knew underneath there was a simmering anger somewhere underneath the playfulness. Wether it be about me trying to get outside, or that boy touching me, something made him blow steam. Rushing up the stairs, I looked for anywhere to hide from Brendan, hoping he wouldn't be able to hear me. Opening the first door, I shut it quickly behind me, and turned around in horror when I realized just who's room I landed in.

Diving under the covers, I curled into a ball and let a small giggle slip. I was basically playing hide and seek with the "big bad werewolf." How could you not see it as funny. It felt really good to not have to worry about someone actually hunting for you. Being happy felt really good. Hands wrapped around me and the covers pooled at my waist as I was lifted up by none other than my mate.

How had he gotten in here without me hearing him? Curse him and his sneakiness.

I squirmed in his grasp, still laughing at the fact we had just done something without me having the pounding urge to run away. And by the look in Brendan's eyes, he came to the same realization. He sighed and pulled me onto his lap. I quickly noticed that his easygoing behavior had ended. Turning myself so I was facing him, I frowned at the slight scowl on his face. Even though I hadn't known him for long, I knew how much I cared for him. Even though the thought terrified me, I knew deep inside I couldn't avoid it.

"Janie, I want you to know that I will protect you forever, and I'm sorry if anything I've done before has contradicted that. You are my soul mate, and I will cherish you forever. However, when Joey touched you-" I cut him off.

"Who's Joey, Brendan?" He looked down at me, smiling.

"Joey's my brother and beta. He just so happens to be a hormonal guy with no mate so I want to keep you from him, for a while at least. When he gets used to you, he should be fine." He mumbled something under his breath, and it resembled something like, damn hormones.

His eyes snapped up to mine and he continued with what he was saying before I interrupted. "As I was saying Janie, I understand that it's not my place, but there's something in my bones that hates me seeing you with anyone other than me. I know that's selfish, but I want you all to myself." I blushed at this, feeling something within me grow at the fact he just affirmed that he loved being around me.

"But seriously, I need you to hear me when I say this. I will not hesitate to keep you under lock and key if you keep on running from me. I was placed on this Earth to love you and only you. That job gets kinda hard when the one person I'm supposed to cherish forever keeps leaving me. I can help you and keep you safe Janie when you are with me. If you are out in the dark wandering the woods, there's no telling what could happen to you."

Ducking my head, I mumbled why I had wanted to go outside the last time.

"What baby? I need you to speak up." Brendan tilted my chin up, making my gaze bore into his beautiful eyes.

"I just wanted to feel the grass Brendan. It's been so long since I've felt it under my feet." Instead of laughing at me, his face spread into a big smile.

"But," the smile faded.

"That gives you no right to look at me the way you did. Not only did it make me feel like your prisoner, but it reminded me so much of what I have been trying to escape the whole time." He nodded in shame. That of course, lasted a quick second before mischief filled his eyes.

His arms wrapped around my legs and he carried me, bridal style, all the way down the stairs and out the door. Squealing for him to put me down the entire time, I sighed in relief when he finally lowered me to the ground and smiled when I realized his intentions. Lowering myself down, I twirled blades of grass between my fingers, letting a laugh escape as I looked up at the setting sky.

His head appeared above me (an: this autocorrected to Apple pie) and his dazzling teeth seemed to blind me. Oblivious to what made him so happy, I asked him what happened.

"Your laugh. It's the best thing I've ever heard in my life." My smile accompanied his. My laugh made him feel like that?
He then stretches beside me and we watch the sun change to an array of colors, both of us lost in our own thoughts. It's was one of the first sun sets I've seen in about ten years. Crazy, I know. It was usually dark by the time I finished working.

"Janie, you will never have to fear me. I am nothing like your past, and I truly want to help you get better, and accept that yes, you had a crappy past, but you are here now, with me." Unknown to him, but as soon as he said this, I think I finally realized that I loved my mate.

Later, we ended up back in the room I woke up in, and Brendan was tucking the covers under me. I kept trying to swat his hands away, claiming I was not a child, but he wouldn't listen. He told me he would be in his room if I needed anything, and I was grateful that he wasn't pushing me to sleep with in the same bed as him. Fatigue soon flooded my mind and body, and as soon as Brendan said goodnight, I was in dream land.

I awoke sometime in the middle of the night, dying of thirst. Remembering my way to the kitchen, I slowly dragged myself out of my warm bubble of a bed and made my way to the door. As soon as I made a step towards the hallway, I stepped on something squish-able, and I swear I almost had a heart attack right there and then. Flickering my bedroom light on, my heart melted as I saw Brendan with his face shoved into a pillow and drool coming out of his mouth.

Breaking into a grin, I stepped over him, and returned with my drink only to find that space previously occupied, empty. Walking inside, I was shocked to find him lounging on my bed, playing with a thread on the quilt. He heard me lurking in the doorway like a true creep, and gestured for me to come over with him. I guess I then found myself in his arms, listening to him sleep. And I guess I kinda really liked it.

One Week Later

Things had been going great between me and Brendan. We learned a lot about each other in just a short span of time. For example, I learned he hates lobster and carrots, and his favorite color is green. I had a feeling why that was his favorite color. Although every night he left me for his own bed, somewhere later that night, he would be back, snuggling up against me.

Today, he wanted me to start meeting members of the pack, and while at first mention, I shied away from the topic. And on top of that, when he told me it would be his mom, imagine how freaked out I, a shy, socially challenged girl would feel. Over the past few days, Brendan has been soothing me, telling me it was no big deal, I felt relaxed then, but as soon as he removed his comforting touch, I was a ball of nerves.

I was about to meet the current Luna and mother of my mate today in a borrowed pair of clothes, as my few pieces of clothing had not been brought over. In my mind, this could not go any worse.

Stepping into his mother's house was like a breath of fresh air. While I was coming to terms to living in the enormous pack house, this home gave off a more welcoming feeling, and I instantly felt a little more a peace. I was still a little apprehensive over Brendan's hand around my waist, but for now, I was ok.

I was, at least, until I saw two identical toddlers racing around the corner, each still wobbling from just figuring out the concept of walking, let alone running. Before I had a small seizure over these two babies hurting themselves, a older woman came right behind them, looking like she was trying her hardest to keep them still. Stifling a smile, I watched as Brendan scooped the two trouble makers shook each of their hands like they were adults. At that, I had to laugh.

"Janie, these are my twin nephews, Harrison and Jay. And this amazing person-" he said while gesturing to the woman that now kissed his cheek, "is my mother." I gulped. This was the mother of the guy I loved. Well, he didn't know that, but still.

"Hi sweetie, I'm Olivia, this goon's mother." Instead of reaching out for my hand, she enveloped me into a hug, and while I was shocked at first, I found myself smiling at his kind woman. She was gently pulled back by my mate as he set the children on the ground.

"Mom, remember what I told you, on the phone this morning?" Brendan whispered to her. Well, more like a softer tone than his normal voice. Her features flashed with recognition, and she winced slightly. Turning to me, she said quietly,

"I'm sorry Janie, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I'm just a natural hugger." I smirked, my mom used to be the same way. I shook my head, accepting her apology, although there was nothing wrong with what she did.

"No, Mrs. Courter, I don't mind it at all." Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the little devil himself smiling.
Olivia smiled sadly at me, and I realized she was probably still devastated about her husband, and here I was, bringing up his name when she told me to call her Olivia.

The look was gone as fast as it arrived, and she then grabbed my wrist and pulled me to what I assumed was the kitchen. Handing me a glass of iced tea, she motioned for me to sit on one of the chairs. But before I could, Brendan pulled me back and shot a look over my head towards his mother.

"I'm sorry Mother, but Janie and I have somewhere to be. We will make sure to come by again." Her lips instantly turned into a pout.

"But Bren, I barely got to talk to her, this is so not fair!  You better bring her back soon, or you may just find yourself not invited to pizza nights anymore." He fake gasped and drew a hand to his chest as if he had been wounded. I would have to ask him about that later.

"Sorry Mom!" He called over his shoulder as he led me to the back yard. I struggled against his grip, wanting to go back inside and talk to the lovely woman that obviously wanted company. Hoping Brendan would get the hint, I was disappointed when he kept on leading me deeper and deeper into the forrest.

"Brendan, what are we doing? Let's go back to your mom's house." He simply shook his head and kept on walking, only replying,

"It's a surprise." No matter how many times I pestered him for information, he never cracked, and we continued the same conversation for a full five minutes until he came to a stop in a middle of a clearing. There had to be a least thirty candles lit, and just them alone brought my hands to my mouth in awe.

Brendan let go of my hand and stood in the middle of the circle of fire, and held out a single white rose, and looked me dead in the eyes.

"Janie Reynolds, will you do me the pleasure of going on a date with me tomorrow night?" I was too shocked to answer in words, but the head nod said enough to him.

***
I don't have much to say bc I am totally exhausted, this is my longest chapter, and I really really love the shipping going on here.

But in other big news, I made a Twitter for The Alpha Is My Key!

It's @ _TAIMK and it's a space where you can get in touch with me and ask me questions you may have! I would love it if you guys hopped on over there :)

Comment and vote, and maybe throw a little sharing in there...

-Neary17

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 212 22
A couple weeks before my wedding some woman I've never met texted me out of the blue saying that she was going to be taking my place as the bride. Wh...
520K 9.7K 24
Aria is loved by her family and pack ever since she was a kid. But since her brother died, they all blamed it on her. Making her the servant and "pun...
17.9K 970 33
Right from the beginning, I was the unfortunate one. I had to sacrifice my needs because of destiny. I endured a lot and almost lost who means the mo...
891K 25.7K 25
In a freezing cold winter day, Promise never thought that she would end up having her car tire pop right outside her old pack's border line. She woul...