It's Not That Easy

HollisMayer

Complete. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.' No truer words have ever been spoken, and Addyson Grace... Еще

It's Not That Easy
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Together Again
Chapter 2 - Zingers
Chapter 3 - Fireworks
Chapter 4 - For Your Own Protection
Chapter 5 - Learning New Tricks
Chapter 6 - Spilling the Beans
Chapter 7 - Kickin' It
Chapter 8 - A Gentleman
Chapter 9 - Walls
Chapter 10 - Take a Step Back
Chapter 11 - Dress for Dinner
Chapter 12 - Not Letting it Ruin the Evening
Chapter 13 - Fixing the Past
Chapter 15 - Hurt People
Chapter 16 - Pick Your Battles
Chapter 17 - Explain Yourself
Chapter 18 - Getting Comfortable
Chapter 19 - A Puzzle
Chapter 20 - Small Town Fun
Chapter 21 - A Revelation
Chapter 22 - Overwhelmed
Chapter 23 - Little Things
Chapter 24 - Real Fear
Chapter 25 - In My Dreams
Chapter 26 - Advice
Chapter 27 - A Little More in Love
Chapter 28 - Fitting In
Chapter 29 - The Bucket List
Chapter 30 - Little Steps Closer
Chapter 31 - Marking it Off
Chapter 32 - Missing You
Chapter 33 - Demons
Chapter 34 - Consequences
Chapter 35 - Time Flies
Chapter 36 - Waiting for You
Epilogue
Music

Chapter 14 - Meeting the Parents

9.1K 341 12
HollisMayer

She's got the eyes of innocence... the face of an angel... A personality of a dreamer and a smile that hides more pain than you can ever imagine. - Anonymous

Chapter 14 - Meeting the Parents

Addy's POV:

The Breda House still smells the same, like spicy warm goodness. "Mom, that smells great," Edward tells her as he opens the lid to a pan on the stove. "Is this dinner?"

"Yes, and even without knowing 'til the last minute you would be here, I made enough." The lines at the corners of Linda's eyes crease as she talks to her son. "Addy, I take it you will be staying for dinner, too?"

"Yes, Mom. She's staying."

"Good. I'm glad to see you two are finally getting along after all this time." She turns to me. "Is he behaving himself or is this just a show to make is his mom happy?"

"He's been behaving himself." He catches my eye as I talk. "In fact, he's been very nice." I feel my cheeks getting warm.

"It looks like you have enough food to feed an army." Edward tells his mom as she continues to pull food out of the refrigerator.

"Not an army, but I'm expecting Liv any minute, and of course Emily."

"My mom?"

"Yeah, she and Cooper are coming over. Your grandparents have your brothers for the weekend, so it'll be just the two of them this time."

I don't ask if I can help. I just take my place beside Linda just like I did when I was younger. She hands me a knife and a few vegetables. "It's nice to have someone who enjoys cooking to help me for a change."

"Helen likes to cook."

"I was referring to Garrett. He's hiding in the garage." Her expression is nothing less than 'good riddance', and her laughter is infectious.

Edward searches my face for a reaction as he tells me he's going to go say hi to his dad. "So, have you met her?" Linda asks as soon as he's out of earshot.

"Liv? No, I've seen her, but I haven't met her."

"No, Edward's female friend? He asked if he could bring someone home to meet us. He was so excited I half expected her to be with him today." She rambles about how Edward has never brought anyone home to meet the family, even though he was dating someone around Christmas, she didn't get to meet her. "You know I don't think he's ever had a serious girlfriend before her. Maybe they're still together, and it's getting more serious?"

I remain quiet as I begin to fill the salad bowl, not sure exactly what I am supposed to say. Unfortunately, I'm not comforted by this conversation, because it does little to settle my worries I have about Edward.

"Look who I found in the driveway." Edward announces as he walks in with the woman he was with last night, Liv. She's just as beautiful in casual clothes as she was in her formal dress, except this time she looks completely natural. Her dark hair is down and is shoulder length that shapes her face. Not one strand on her head is out of place, and her face is flawless. What little makeup she has on is perfect. She's tall and thin and graceful, and everything about her screams 'I'm a model'.

She extends her hand to me, but mine is still messy with food prep. "I'm Liv, you must be Addyson." She takes her hand away understanding why I can't shake. "Edward has told me so much about you. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you last night."

"Addy, please. Only Edward ever calls me Addyson. It's nice to meet you. Let me clean my hands. Do you want anything to drink?"

"Addy, it's just like you, playing host, but Liv knows her way around my kitchen just fine." Linda turns her head toward Liv, "Help yourself dear. I haven't opened wine, yet. If you don't mind could you grab a bottle from in there?" She points to her makeshift wine closet that my dad and Garrett built for her.

As soon as they leave the room, Linda begins telling me about Liv visiting to interview with Dillard's corporate office as a buyer for the department store chain. Why does it not surprise me that she works in fashion?

"Did you want me to start the pasta now, or are you waiting until my mom arrives?" I ask, trying to get away from talking about Liv more than I have to. She rubs me the wrong way. Maybe because of last night, but I'm not sure, yet.

"Let's wait. Everything else is finished. Let me turn the meat off." She reaches over for a potholder and then checks the meat before turning off the oven. She makes cooking for a crowd look effortless, just like my mom.

Liv returns with two bottles of wine and Edward. Her eyes bare down on me as they enter the room, and she has a half smile like she's sizing me up, trying to figure out if she likes me or not. "Addy, Edward tells me you are in medical school."

"Yes, first year. I have a long way to go."

"I guess school doesn't leave much time for a social life?" The question is friendly enough, but it makes me uncomfortable. I look to Edward for help.

"Liv, I wasn't aware until last night that you and Addy have never met. I thought you met all of Helen's friends when you came to visit."

Before she could respond, Garrett comes in with my parents following closely behind. "Addy, what a surprise. We didn't know you were coming tonight."

"I didn't know I was either." I turn to Edward and give him a pointed look that makes him laugh.

Edward's POV:

Dad asks me to pray for our meal. It's been a while since I've talked to God. In fact, I can't remember the last time, but looking over at the angel that He has graced me with, I'll be talking to Him more often.

I'm out of practice so I keep it short and sweet. I thank Him of our food, our health, our family, and our friends, and as I finish my parents chime in, "Ma per la grazia di dio. Amen."

Food moves around the table, and each person fills his plate. My eyes keep traveling to Addyson, sitting across from me, and when she finally notices her cheeks turn a slight pink.

"So, Edward. Who is the girl Aunt Linda keeps asking me about?" Liv asks in her devious tone she uses that used to get me in trouble.

"Yeah, Edward, I was expecting you to bring this young lady home with you." Mom says with an impatient tone waiting for me to answer.

"Oh, you're dating someone? Is she local or is she from Nashville?" Ms. Emily asks, and her tone isn't as intimidating as my mom's.

"She's local."

"Oh, that's good. Tell us about her. How did you meet? School? Work?"

"No, we're friends. We've known each other for a long time. In fact, we used to date, when I was in college." My dad looks up to hear my answer, but doesn't join in the conversation.

"I don't remember any girl from here going to Baylor?" Mom says, but it sounds much more like a question.

"She didn't. She's a few years younger than me. We kind of hung out, dated, whatever you want to call it, the summer before my senior year." My smile broadens and I know I resemble a lovesick puppy. "Best summer of my life."

Addyson's head is down as she concentrates on her plate, picking at her food. I can't read what she's thinking; she just looks uneasy. "Addy, you look nervous. Is there something you want to add?" Liv says making her more uncomfortable. I want to put an end to this conversation right now, until I find out if she's ok.

Liv knows the story. I told her last night, but right now I feel she's just being a bitch to Addyson. "No, I don't want to add anything." She says.

"Oh, too bad Addy. I was hoping you were going to tell us you're dating Joel." My dad teases, trying to lighten the tension with Liv at the table.

"Really, who's Joel?" Liv points her question to me.

"One of my roommates." Addyson answers.

Liv looks over at Emily and Cooper. "Wow, you guys are very understanding. I don't think my parents would approve of me living with my boyfriend." No one said a word for at least a minute. It was deathly quiet as everyone was too stunned at Liv's audacity to respond. Instead, we chose to ignore her rudeness, and continue eating.

---

"You'll have to excuse her. I think she was dropped on her head as a baby," my mom says as she closes the door behind Liv. My mom had pulled her aside and made her apologize to Addyson and her parents. "I can't believe her behavior tonight. That's not like her. She's usually such a sweet girl. Well, usually sweeter than that."

Addyson is sitting quietly in the living room away from everyone. "Are you ok?" She nods. I sit beside her, turning our knee to each other not leaving a lot of space.

This may feel very high schoolish to bring her home to meet my parents like this, but I think that's what she needs. Helen tells me that I need to use kid gloves with her when it comes to our relationship. She says it's a trust issue. Addyson needs to trust me, and right now I'm still earning it.

Addyson isn't like most 22 year olds, her heart is still innocent and may be a bit naïve, and she deserves to keep both of those qualities for as long as possible. If acting like a high school suitor helps her trust me, then by damn, I'm going to do it. "I still want to tell our parents we are dating. I want them to know about us. I want their blessing. Is that ok?"

She pierces me with her sage green eyes, "Did you mean what you said earlier? It was the best summer of your life?"

"Up until a few weeks ago, absolutely." No, pretense...no, hiding. My thumb rubs across her cheek. "Without a doubt."

Her cheeks glow pink, "Then, I think we can tell them. It kind of makes it official doesn't it?"

"Yeah, it does." It's about time.

Dad and Cooper walk in and grab a chair. "What do you two have her heads together about?" Dad asks. "It must be important. I've never seen you with such a serious face."

Before I can tell him we will talk in a little while, Mom and Emily walk in and sit down, too.

"You two look serious," my mom says, and I can't help but smile.

Now or never. "Mom, Dad, I want you to meet my girlfriend."

"I know dear. Before Liv interrupted our dinner, I was looking forward to hearing more about her," Mom says, not understanding what I said.

"No, Mom. I want you to meet my girlfriend." I lace my fingers with Addyson's and pick her hand up. I guess Liv is not the only one with the ability to stun this crowd into silence.

Ms. Emily was the first to crack. Her smile spread across her face and I could tell she was genuinely happy. "I always thought you teased her because you liked her." She looks between the two of us.

"Yes, ma'am. I'm not proud of it," meaning my behavior. "But, I've liked her for a long time."

Thinking back to what was said at the table, "You used to date?" Mom asks Addyson.

"Yes, ma'am. We snuck around to see each other. I think he was a little ashamed of me."

My hand immediately squeezes hers, and I shake my head. "No, that's not why we snuck around. I didn't want to get beat up by Mason, Holden, and Elliot. I could have taken them one at a time, but I'm sure they would have all come after me if they knew."

"That's why you used to drop my hand and stand away from me when people were around."

"That's the only reason.... I've never been ashamed of you."

Cooper looks at Addy and then directs his words to me. "Good, you're lucky to have her."

"Yes, sir. I know. Very lucky. And, with your permission, I would like to date your daughter." I'm not originally from here, but I know enough to understand that in a traditional southern family, it's important to get permission to date their daughters. Even though her family isn't exactly traditional, I know that it is still important for Cooper. He needs to know I respect Addyson.

"Addy?" Cooper doesn't finish his question. He looks as if he changes his mind on what he was going to say. "Do you think it's too soon after everything that has happened?" The tension in the room is stifling as I watch Addyson think about the question, and I wait for her answer. God, why did I have to have this crazy idea?

"I don't know. It doesn't feel too soon." Her fingers tighten sound mine. "In fact it feels right on time."

"Then, I guess if it's ok with Addy, it's ok with me."

"Ok, now that that's settled. Who wants a drink?" My dad asks, again helping relieve some of the tension in the room.

---

"So, where exactly are we going?" Addyson asks as I walk her out the backdoor of my parent's house.

"You and your impatience. Did you not learn anything from earlier?"

"Yes, I did. That's why I have to ask."

"Ha ha, funny. This, I promise, it's a very good surprise." I pick up a blanket and thermos of hot chocolate I left on the patio table. "Walk with me."

It's just after midnight as we walk the trail over to the 4th tee. It's a new moon and the only lights are the footlights from the walking track. The golf course has a few couples and families scattered about with the same idea I had.

"Star gazing?" She asks as she watches me spread out the blanket.

"Well, some, but we're here for something a bit more exciting."

She sits between my legs with her back leaning against my chest. "I used to love it when you would take me out like this. It was always so peaceful."

My lips brush her cheek. "I'm glad. I plan on making this a habit, if you let me."

"So, what is it that you want to show me?"

"You'll see." We sat looking at the stars, finding constellations. I brush her hair to one side so I have better access to her neck, when I feel compelled to kiss her.

"Did you see that?" I lean back onto the blanket, and move her beside me so we can enjoy the full effect of the light show in the heavens.

"Yes, just watch." Slowly the sky began to come alive with the Perseids meteor shower. A bright streak of light followed by another, and then another. Soon, the sky began to look like distant fireworks raining down on us.

"This is beautiful."

--

"If it's ok with you, I'd like to stay." I tell Addyson as we park in her driveway. "You need some sleep, and Joel needs a night off. Let me chase away your nightmares tonight."

She nods her head. "I'd like that." I grab my bag from the trunk. "You came prepared?"

"I wasn't sure if I would end up staying with my parents tonight. I packed a bag just in case."

She's already in bed by the time I return from changing into lounge pants. She pulls back the covers letting me climb in, and she settles in my arms. "Thank you for today."

"My pleasure." Her hand traces the tattoo on my chest, and I kiss her softly on the forehead as she fades off to sleep.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

Despite the Pain Fabiola Gomez

Любовные романы

6.1K 324 37
[Warning: Sexual Content] "I wondered if there would ever be a point when we didn't hesitate, or when my heart didn't pound so hard against my ribs w...
Just Breathe Serenity

Любовные романы

9.9K 533 42
BAILEY Everyone knows the saying, the calm before the storm. That's been my life every waking moment. Just waiting for when the tsunami finds me and...
71.2K 2.2K 16
|Winner of The Amby award In romance| 18+ Killian Graves was a feared man, a man who always took control and got exactly what he wanted, until the d...
The Tattooed Flower Lydia Carnelian

Любовные романы

55.1K 1.6K 34
Even if this ends badly, I wont regret it. Maybe all of this will be gone for me one day, but I'll still have the memories. And that might just be en...