Just Because You Are

By kimxiangel

Is it possible for a sulky, self-absorbed man and a good-humored, bubbly lady to make beautiful music togethe... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - For Your Sake
Chapter 2 - The Detour
Chapter 3 - First Impressions
Chapter 4 (Part 1) - Dreaming of You
Chapter 4 (Part 2) - Dream On
Chapter 5 - Amazed
Chapter 6 (Part 1) - The Ballet Shoes
Chapter 6 (Part 2) - The Piano Recital
Chapter 7 - Music to His Ears
Chapter 8 - When You Change Your Tune
Chapter 9 - Hit the Right Note
Chapter 10 - Play it By Ear
Chapter 11 - Fine Tuning
Chapter 12 - Whistling in the Dark
Chapter 13 (Part 1) - With Bells On!
Chapter 13 (Part 2) - Break a Leg!
Chapter 13 (Part 3) - Playing Second Fiddle?
Chapter 14 - Reaching Out
Chapter 15 (Part 2) - While the Music Lasts
Chapter 16 - LSS
Chapter 17 (Part 1) - Call the Tune
Chapter 17 (Part 2) - Clear as a Bell
Chapter 17 (Part 3) - Face the Music
Chapter 18 - It Takes Two to Tango
Chapter 19 (Part 1) - #ThrowbackThursday
Chapter 19 (Part 2) - #Unselfie
Chapter 20 - The Music Box
Chapter 21 - Invitations
Chapter 22 (Part 1) - Euphonic
Chapter 22 (Part 2) - In Sync!
Chapter 23 - Mr. Right's Wว’ de ร i
Chapter 24 - How Would You Feel?
Chapter 25 - More than Words
Chapter 26 - ...And All That Jazz
Chapter 27 - Singing a Different Tune

Chapter 15 (Part 1) - It All Started with Music

1K 13 1
By kimxiangel

“Meeting you was fate,
becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over."
- Anonymous

“Alright, let’s do this!” His face etched with a big smile, Quino excitedly hopped inside his white Lexus IS and carefully placed a pink-colored Ecuadorian rose and a medium-sized pot of pink peony on the front passenger seat.

He adjusted the rearview mirror and gazed at his reflection with utmost satisfaction. He was looking very soignée in his black tuxedo and tangerine tie. As he started the engine and held the steering wheel, he began to chant the song he was going to sing later that morning.

…We celebrate Your love, we celebrate each other
We celebrate the One who joined our hearts together,
And in this holy place of tenderness and grace
We worship You and celebrate Your love…

It was D-day for Raymund and Kate, but he felt it would also be an eventful day for him. There was something that was making him really happy…extraordinarily happy, in fact. That big, confident smile has never left his face since he went out of the moviehouse with Raffie last Monday evening.

Quino’s eyes danced with giddy pleasure as he remembered that night. That night when he listened attentively to Raffie as she animatedly shared about “The Tale of the Three Roses and a Song.”

It was the night that inspired him to come up with a brilliant idea.

(Flashback – Monday evening after watching the movie)

“Hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala na ang isang VP ng malaking kumpanya eh kasing lakas ko pala tumawa pag nanonood ng romcom film!” Raffie exclaimed as she walked along the mall side by side with Quino. They decided to have a Dimsum dinner after the movie.

“Kahit sino naman siguro maaaliw sa storyline nung movie…lalo na sa mga banat ng mga characters,” Quino quipped. “Teka…sa tingin mo ba hindi ako marunong tumawa?”

“Hindi naman. Kaso nung una tayong magkita ibang-iba lang talaga yung aura mo noon, eh. And if my memory serves me right, dito din yun sa mall na ito. Tapos kahit na nung mga sumunod na meetings natin, you’ve been really that typically reserved man – yun bang, isang tanong-isang sagot. Actually, siguro kung hindi tayo nagkasama sa mga practices, hanggang ngayon yun pa rin ang impression ko sa’yo.”

“In other words, yung first impression mo sa’kin eh masungit ako?” Quino looked at Raffie with a slightly worried expression.

“Hmmm…parang ganun na nga…pero hindi naman siguro ako nag-iisa for having that kind of idea about you, diba?” Raffie confessed candidly. “Pero natutuwa ako dahil ngayong gabi narinig kitang tumawa nang malakas.”

“Eh bakit kanina parang hesitant ka pa nung sinabi ko na sasamahan kitang manood ng movie?” Quino asked her, now looking amused at her honest confession.

Raffie laughed softly. “Kasi nga hindi ko ma-imagine na manonood ka nung ganung movie. I mean…basta, parang nanibago lang siguro ako.”

“Is that the only reason?” Quino asked her, looking unconvinced at her answer.

Raffie, who was looking straight ahead, immediately stared up at

Quino with a slightly raised brow. “Yeah, yun lang,” she simply replied.

Quino smiled a little smugly as Raffie instantly looked away from him after giving her answer. “Well, it’s an entertaining film,” he said. Then he noticed that as they passed by a flower boutique, Raffie’s eyes twinkled appreciatively at the white, pink and red Equadorian roses arranged beautifully in the display window. 

“Ang ganda ng combination ng colors!” Raffie gasped in admiration as she stopped in front of the displayed flowers.

“I agree,” Quino seconded. “Yan ba ang mga favorite colors mo, Miss Raffie?”

“Actually, pink and blue talaga yung mga gusto kong colors,” she replied. “The color combination just reminded me of Mommy’s story.” Her eyes were thoughtful now, and she looked as if she was enjoying a brief moment of recalling that story.

“Tell me about it,” Quino urged her.

Raffie smiled. “Later,” she replied. “Habang nagdi-dinner.”

Quino nodded. “What if pasok muna tayo dito, baka marami pang magagandang arrangements sa loob.”

“No, it would be better if we just go and have dinner right away,” Raffie replied, glancing at her watch. “May mga work pa tayo bukas, kailangan din nating umuwi agad.”

“Okay.”

Quino found himself rather eager to hear about Raffie’s story that as soon as the waiter had already taken their orders, he urged her again to share about it.

“Actually, true story ito nina Daddy at Mommy…nung nasa courtship stage pa sila. Ayaw kase ni Mommy noon kay Daddy. Nung nasa university kase sila, medyo may pagka-nerd daw si Dad, samantalang si Mommy naman member ng dance troupe, alam mo yun…the outgoing type. But Dad was determined to win Mom’s heart. He exerted much effort in pursuing her…but to no avail. Sabi pa ni Dad, pati sila lolo at lola niligawan nya. Tapos sinubukan pa niya na ipagluto si Mommy nung favorite nyang sinigang na bangus kaso pumalpak daw kase mommy prefers to use kamias but dad used sampalok instead. So ayun, hindi nagustuhan ni mom. Hanggang sa nalaman ni Dad yung weakness ni Mommy na nag-match naman sa talent nya – song composition. It so happened na nag-audit si Mom ng mga units sa Music kase nga gusto nyang ma-enhance pa yung skills nya sa piano. Eh yung prof ni Mom pinag-compose ng original songs yung students. Tapos ito si Dad stalker mode, napansin na medyo may struggle si Mom sa composition. So nag-volunteer sya na tumulong. One whole week daw nila yun tinrabaho, and each day they met, before they would part ways, Dad would leave three roses in between the pages of Mom’s Music book: white, pink and red palagi yung combination. At the end of the week, you know what? Dad’s efforts paid off. Ang nakakatuwa na part eh nung after their 1st anniversary Dad confessed that he had actually finished the song overnight, kaso inunti-unti lang nya yung pag-present kay Mommy para humaba yung panahon nila to spend time together…”

All throughout the time she was telling the story, Raffie sounded inspired and enthusiastic, and her eyes glinted in obvious delight. Quino could not help but admire her enthusiasm.

“Madiskarte pala si Sir Paeng,” Quino commented with a smile.

“You can say that again,” Raffie agreed. “Hanggang ngayon kilig na kilig pa rin ako pag naaalala ko yan. The hopeless romantic in me…”

“Bakit nga pala white, pink and red yung combined colors ng roses na ibinigay nya kay Tita Carmi?” Quino asked, quite curious.

Actually, he could not associate any sort of relevance between one’s affection to a person and the color combination of flowers.

For him, it’s just enough to give any kind or any color of flowers to the lady being courted. He’s not really the romantic type. He merely focuses on the need of the moment and tries to meet that need.

“Tinanong ko din yan kay Dad. He told me those colors symbolize his feelings and intentions for Mommy: white for purity, pink for respect and red for love. Dad is a certified hopeless romantic! Nakaka-proud lang dahil hanggang ngayon kahit na nagka-problema si Dad sa health nya, consistent pa rin sya sa pagiging romantic kay Mommy. May mga days na bigla na lang syang magpapa-deliver ng roses either sa house or sa school at sinu-surprise si Mommy.” 

Quino finally understood the essence of the story. It wasn’t about Paeng’s being madiskarte.

It was what many young lovers often forget.

Purity. Respect. Love.

Consistency.

Bingo!

As he gazed at Raffie’s thoughtful eyes, Quino reflected about his realizations that night. He was quite sure about his feelings for her. But how would he show it consistently?

Quino actually spent a sleepless Monday night. He wanted to do something about his realizations. And although he liked the idea of the color symbolism of the roses, he didn’t want to duplicate Paeng’s inspiring idea.

So that same night, with the help of Louie, he tried to find out what kind of flower Raffie loved most.

And the following day, he made arrangements for a nicely potted peony to be delivered to Raffie early each morning. He planned to do that as a way of saying that he wanted to see their friendship take root and grow firmly each day.

He wanted to give her the impression that he sincerely wanted to nurture their friendship.

Obviously, he seemed to have learned a lot from Paeng’s hopeless romantic ways.

(End of Flashback)

“Take it slow, Quino. Take it slow,” he reminded himself as he was nearing the Vista Classica Real Subdivision.

It was already Saturday – Raymund and Kate’s wedding. His duet with Raffie would be during the wedding ceremony, although he would also sing a couple of songs for the reception: a solo number and another duet with her.

Songs. Music. That’s where it all started.

He wasn’t expecting that Kate’s request for him to render a wedding song and his Achi Moira’s suggestion for Raffie to sing with him would actually pave the way for him and Raffie to be closer to each other. He was finding that his feelings for her was growing each day, and even if he didn’t expect to fall in-love that way, he liked how things were slowly developing in that area of his life. He liked the way their friendship was blossoming. He liked the way he was slowly building her trust.

And unexpected as it may seem to be, Quino knew very well that it was something he shouldn’t take for granted. Especially since the circumstances seem rather complicated for Raffie…and well, for her absentee boyfriend, of course.

He didn’t want to enter the picture as the bad guy…the third party.

But then he was already quite into her, isn’t he? And it only meant one thing.

He’s undoubtedly a third party.

Quino let out a deep sigh. Third party. What a spiteful truth it was!

So what about consistency?

He finally stopped in front of the Legazpi’s Mediterranean style house and instantly caught a glimpse of Raffie’s tall and slender frame, standing in the garden and talking blithely to her mother.

She looked perfectly dazzling in her tangerine gown and elegantly styled raven-colored hair. When she noticed him walking towards the gate, she beamed that amazingly captivating smile at him.

Third party na kung third party…but I won’t definitely enter the picture as the bad guy. I shall win her trust,’ Quino thought decidedly, holding the potted flowers and the pink, long-stemmed rose behind him.

*************************

Another pretty bunch of potted peony flowers…and this time, with a lovely pink Ecuadorian rose.

Raffie smiled as Quino handed her the beautiful flower. Then, while Quino and Carmi were exchanging pleasantries with each other, she excused herself for a while to get her purse in her bedroom. “Why, Raffie? Why do you feel this way?” she asked her reflection on the mirror.

She was flattered but at the same time somewhat worried because of all the attention Quino was giving her for the past days. In fact, it was the fifth bunch of pink peonies she received from him that week. Since Tuesday, she would wake up and find such adorable, potted garden plants on her bedside table.

She already had the gut feeling that it was Quino who sent her the potted flowers early Tuesday morning, but she decided not to text him immediately to ask about it. They met in Forte for their final practice on Tuesday afternoon and it was then that she asked if it was him who sent the plant. Quino told her that he did, and so she merely thanked him.

She kept telling herself that it meant nothing special. She didn’t want to assume anything.

Yes, she was convincing herself she shouldn’t assume anything. Not even after that night they almost kissed in the diner. And NOT EVEN after that unexpected kiss at the backstage.

And she never ever expected she’d receive another one the following morning…and the next day…and the day after that.

But that morning when she woke up, her eyes immediately traveled to her bedside table, as if she was already accustomed to seeing a new potted plant on top of it. She felt a twinge of disappointment when she saw that the only things arranged on top of her table were her alarm clock, lampshade, and framed photo of her and Vince.

Nevertheless, when she saw Quino coming out of his car that morning, she felt unusually happy. And then at the sight of her favorite peony plant and a pink Equadorian rose that he immediately handed her, that twinge of disappointment was overshadowed with pleasure and she felt her heart flutter in excitement.

Lord, why do I feel this way now?’ she thought, shaking her head.

Heaving a deep sigh, she took her purse and a small paperbag of her clothes, and then started to go downstairs.

********************************

“Hindi ka naman ba pinahihirapan nitong anak ko, hija?” President Andrew asked Raffie right after Quino introduced her to him. They have just arrived in the church, and so when Quino saw his father and some of their relatives, he quickly grabbed the opportunity to introduce Raffie.

“Naku, napaka-understanding at generous nga po nya, Sir, eh,” Raffie answered with a rather shy smile.

“Hmmm…is that so?” President Andrew asked, looking surprised. “So far, ngayon pa lang ako nakarinig ng ganyang feedback about my youngest son. You must really be such a gem in his music school, hija. I’m glad he found you.”

Tama ka dyan, Pa…I’m very thankful I met her,’ Quino thought in agreement. However, he protested jokingly, “Papa, is your first statement a commendation or an attack to me?”

“Well, that all depends on whether you’ll take it objectively or subjectively,” the elderly man answered, smiling lopsidedly. Then, as he saw Mylene and Reese entering the church, he immediately said, “Anyway, I’m looking forward to your song later, hija. And…maybe next time we can have dinner in our house so we could have more time to talk. Do arrange that anytime this month, Quino…for now, I think kailangan ko munang mag-excuse sa inyo. It’s a pleasure meeting you, Miss Legazpi.”

“The pleasure’s all mine, Sir. Thank you po sa invitation,” Raffie said.

“Dinner daw anytime this month…in our house,” Quino reiterated his father’s invitation with a note of anticipation in his voice. “Kailan ka free, Miss Raffie?”

Raffie pretended to think, as if trying to recall her schedules for that month.

“Sobra ka bang busy?” Quino now sounded a bit anxious.

“I-che-check ko muna mamaya kase tingin ko talaga sobrang tight ng schedule ko, eh. May musical play kase sa university next month kaya panay practices kame,” Raffie stated with a serious tone. Then suddenly, she dimpled and added, “Pero para sa dad mo…I think I can make time.”

Relieved, Quino asked back, “For dad only?”

Raffie nodded. “Syempre kase sya yung nag-invite, diba?”

Smiling widely, Quino simply agreed, “Oo nga naman…oo nga naman.”

*******************

“…Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over…and now that we are finally joined by God together as one, I believe that each day of my life would be even more meaningful and memorable because I’ll always have you here beside me as my best friend, my loving partner, and my one and only better half - now and forever. I love you so much, Babe.”

Quino smiled as his brother uttered his wedding vows with earnest emotion. It was a beautifully-made vow, and he wasn’t surprised that Raymund had spoken it while looking straight into Kate’s eyes. He was holding a copy of his vow, but it seemed as if he didn’t need it anyway.

…Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over…”

What a perfect way to describe what he himself was going through that moment!

As soon as Raymund and Kate were finished with their vows, Quino stood up and walked towards Raffie to sing their first duet for the couple.

In these holy moments gathered in Your name
love has called us here, love is why we came
Lord we’re overwhelmed with the joy that fills this place
so in these holy moments we celebrate with praise
We celebrate Your love, we celebrate each other
we celebrate the One who joins our hearts together
and in this holy place of tenderness and grace
we worship You and celebrate Your love!

Quino’s eyes were fixed on Raffie as her lovely voice resonated through the church while crooning the wedding song with passion. She was singing it as if she was praying; the emotions were very much heartfelt and the essence of the song hit him right to the core of his being.

It was then that he truly realized the sanctity of marriage and how his brother’s vow captured the exact meaning of being joined together by the Lord– for the rest of their lives.

Preparing for these moments we prayed that You would be
welcomed to the hearts of friends and family
and as we sense Your presence these words alone can’t say
how glad we are You’re here Lord to share this wedding day
We celebrate Your love, we celebrate each other
we celebrate the One who joins our hearts together
and in this holy place of tenderness and grace
we worship You and celebrate Your love!

I wonder how it feels to have someone by your side for the rest of your life…I’m happy for you, Ahia. At sana ako rin, sana maranasan ko rin yan. Pangako, susunod din ako…pag wala nang complications…at the right time,’ Quino thought as his eyes drifted from the bride and groom’s happy expressions to Raffie’s beautiful face.

After singing the song, they went back to their respective seats. He glanced at Raffie who was sitting beside the rest of the singers. She was paying attention to the ceremony officiated by the minister and her eyes looked rather charmed at the couple being wed.

It was somewhat a torture for him not to be sitting beside her since he was the best man and so he was assigned to a seat at the other side of the front pew. But at least, he was thankful that he could still glance at her from time to time and admire her from a distance.

Later at the reception, hinding-hindi ako aalis sa tabi nya,’ he vowed to himself.

******************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 335 38
!UNDER HEAVY EDITING! "Do you love her too?" "Why did you lie to me?" "I will never leave your side!" "Have I fallen for you already?" A journey alon...
9.4K 319 38
Its a cloudy day and you are rotting away in your room; like everyday. You get a notification on your phone, its your friend. Once again, its her waf...
5.1K 237 25
Y/n x straykids When y/n installs a random hookup app she never expects to make friends and fall for not one but 3 men who might not like her for her...
2.7K 139 17
A guitarist and a soccer player. Quite a pair I must say. Well, everyone will put their differences aside and co-habit in harm- Well these 2 nutjobs...