Chapter 7 - Music to His Ears

You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel."

- Anonymous

"Mommy, may schedule po pala kanina si Dad with Dr. Tan, di nyo po sinabi sa'kin...sana nasamahan ko po kayo," Raffie said as soon as she saw her mom in the veranda arranging some freshly-cut flowers in a large vase.

Carmi smiled. "I know you have classes to attend to, hija, kaya naman hindi ko na talaga sinabi sa'yo. Maaga rin kase ako nag-dismiss ng last class ko," she said. "Anak, I want you to focus more on your profession...don't worry about me and your dad. You have sacrificed enough of your career just to stay here with us."

"Mommy, don't say that...Masaya po ako na andito ako ulet at kasama kayo," Raffie said, embracing her mom.

Shaking her head, Carmi said, "I know that your relationship with Vince is suffering dahil magkalayo kayo."

Raffie got surprised. She didn't tell her mom about the things she was going through for the past few days. "I can't believe Louie would tell you about that, Mommy," she croaked. "Haaay, si Louella talaga!"

"No, walang sinasabi sa'kin si Louie, hija. I happened to overhear you talking to her over the phone yesterday," Carmi said immediately. "Hindi pa ba kayo nag-uusap ni Vince?"

When she and her husband visited Raffie in London the previous year, they got the chance to know Vince.

Although she didn't know Vince that well, Carmi had witnessed how much he respects and loves Raffie. Besides, she also saw that her daughter was really happy with him.

He seemed to be what people would say as the complete package: handsome, well-bred and warmhearted. He came from a great family background, and he even finished his degree in London College of Performing Arts.

Being the ever supportive mother that she is, she got really accommodating to Vince as well.

However, unlike Carmi, Paeng was quite frank in saying that he did not consider Vince and Raffie to be a good match.

Carmi wasn't surprised about that since Paeng was very much protective of his only child. A typical father, indeed.

But then, she wasn't sure if anybody would really measure up to her husband's expectations when it comes to their daughter's love interest.

"Oh, Mommy, let's not talk about him, okay?"

"Hindi na ba ako ang confidante mo, hija?"

"Si Mommy naman..." Raffie hesitated. She looked into her mother's concerned eyes and continued, "Actually, he contacted this morning but I wasn't in the mood to answer his call since I...well, I was about to go to my class so...ayun po, hindi ko muna sinagot."

"I understand you, hija. Pero huwag nyo patagalin yang lack of communication nyo. Pag-usapan nyo ang dapat pag-usapan."

Raffie merely smiled and held her mother's hands. She really didn't want to talk about Vince at that moment. "Kamusta nga po pala yung check-up ni Daddy? Ano po sabi ni Dr. Tan?" she asked, obviously changing the topic.