Chapter 9 - Hit the Right Note

Music has charms to sooth a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak.
  - William Congreve

TWO MONTHS LATER…

“I can’t believe this place has transformed into an incredible music sanctuary,” Moira commented as she entered the lobby of Forte School of Performing Arts. She was particularly proud to see two of her paintings hanging on the walls of the reception area.

It was Quino and Robert’s big day – the ribbon-cutting ceremony of the music school. A number of mediamen were already there, and Quino was quite in a good mood to entertain them in answering their interviews.

“Achi! I’m glad you’re here!” Quino greeted as soon as he saw his sister who was walking towards him hand-in-hand with Janna. He excused himself from the mediamen who were surrounding him.

“Where’s your ballet room, Tito Quino?” Janna asked excitedly.

“Whoa! I thought you want to have voice lessons, not ballet!..wait, kiss me first!”

The little girl obeyed at once and gave his uncle a quick kiss. “Mommy said I could learn voice and ballet here!”

Moira laughed. “O, diba may ballet classes din naman kayo every summer, so mas maigi nang dito ko na rin i-enrol si Janna…besides, I know you’re going to give me a discount on the fees,” she said with a smile.

“Sabi ko na nga ba!” Quino said, pinching his neice’s chubby cheeks. “Listen to me, princess, you may enroll in whatever classes you want, ako ang bahala.” Then he looked around him, surveying the entire lobby and staring closely at the groups of people who were arriving.

“Mommy, can I go there and have some churros?” Janna asked, pointing to the table where the chocolate fondue fountain was placed, together with some other goodies.

“Okay, honey…but don’t dip them in too much chocolate, ha?” Moira said indulgently. Then she saw Quino who seemed to be searching for something…or someone. “O, ba’t humahaba ata ang leeg mo…expecting somebody special?” 

“Si Robert wala pa,” Quino said, shaking his head and glancing at his watch.

Just then, his face suddenly lit up when he saw Raffie enter the lobby…she was looking amazingly gorgeous in her cream-colored soutache dress. Her hair was beautifully done in a classy side-swept style with glam waves. 

She was so beautiful and elegant as always.

Quino was about to approach her when Robert came from behind Raffie and offered to escort her. Raffie anchored her hand on Robert’s arm.

“Hmmm…is that Robert’s girlfriend? Maganda, ha…”

“Of course not!” Quino immediately replied, his forehead creased.

Moira raised her brows at her brother. “What kind of reaction was that?”

Quino instantly realized that his quick response surprised and intrigued his sister. Composing himself, he said in a nonchalant tone, “No, what I meant was –“

“Hey, Achi! Long time no see! You are looking incredibly ravishing!” Robert’s cheerful greeting interrupted Quino’s explanation. He extended his hand to Moira who was looking very pleased at the compliment she received.