Path to Deciduous (Sequel to...

By nada_dehni

The sequel to Road to Evergreen. The truth will set you free... but first it will piss you off. The secrets t... More

o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
F o u r t e e n
F i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
T w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e
t h i r t y - s i x
t h i r t y - s e v e n
t h i r t y - e i g h t
t h i r t y - n i n e
f o u r t y
f o u r t y - o n e
f o u r t y - t w o
f o u r t y - t h r e e
f o r t y - f i v e
f o u r t y - f o u r
f o u r t y - f i v e
f o u r t y - s i x
f o u r t y - s e v e n
f o u r t y - e i g h t
f o u r t y - n i n e
f i f t y
f i f t y - o n e
f i f t y - t w o
Sequel: Song of Abiding

f o u r

1.4K 62 0
By nada_dehni

Lesley's P.O.V

"It's all your fault." My mother's familiar voice echoes in my ears.

"I didn't know," Adam explains. I slowly open my eyes but get blinded by the ceiling light.
Where am I?

I manage to open them again and look around this time.

I'm in the hospital.

Adam and my mother are standing by the door and a dozen of flowers are placed upon the counter.

"You shouldn't have left her!" She yells and Adam looks down. "And you should've called me right away," she keeps going. I groan and both eyes dart in my direction.

I try adjusting my position but a siren pain jolts right through my arm toward my neck. I cry out. Adam directly runs in my direction and takes my hand in his. I welcome the familiar warmth and suck a breath in.

"Lis." he says and kisses my hand. "Lis, how are you feeling?"

His eyes are a shade of wild and worried green. I find myself lost within them in seconds. I never thought that I'd be able to get to see him again or even hold him. And yet here I am. It took for me to end up in the hospital for him to come back. If tables were turned, I'm not sure he would have ever came back.

"Lesley. Oh thank God." My mother starts sobbing as she holds my other hand.

"Mom, stop crying." My voice comes out raspy and I clear my throat. She frowns and I close my eyes in return, leaning my head back. I'm tired. Too tired to watch another breakdown of hers.

"Adam, you owe me ten bucks." I open my eyes as Harry walks in, a smile plastered on his face. Megan follows and so does Spencer. I swallow back, remembering Riley. I want to ask all the questions and get my answers but now isn't the right time. The look of Spencer's face send chills through my body and I can tell that nothing good came out of it.

Harry nears my bed and gives me a kiss on my cheek. I smile. He then holds his hand out to Adam who sighs in return. He reaches for his wallet, digs out money, and places them in Harry's hand. I scowl at them, confused.

"What was that for?" I ask. They both look at each other at the same time, smirking. 

"Harry made a bet of when you will wake up. I said after a day, he said after three days," Adam shrugs.

"I thought you were done making bets," I say and his face falls.

I didn't mean it that way.

"Anyways," I try changing the subject. "I've been out for three whole days?" I gasp.

"Good morning!" A blonde, blue-eyed doctor walks in the room and all eyes dart in her way. "How are you feeling today?" She asks me.

"I'm not sure," I honestly reply. She frowns. "Are you in pain?"

"Only when I move," I say.

"That's normal for now. You lost a lot of blood and Adam volunteered to donate blood for that. And the rest of your family and friends never left. You are very lucky." She smiles. I nod.

"I'll send a nurse to check up on you. You might have to stay a few more days under probation. Just to make sure." I smile to her and she makes her way out.

I turn to Adam who is staring at me with so much admiration and love. I feel my cheeks flush. "Wait," I say. "We have the same blood type?"

He grins. "B plus."

I grin back.

Spencer clears his throat, "get a room." I scowl at him. "We are already in one!" Adam chuckles and Spencer flashes me a weak smile. My heart sinks a little because I can see that his eyes turned darker than black.

"Oh, just leave them alone," Megan says and rolls her eyes.

"Yeh, I'm going for some food. Got a ten bucks to spend." Harry smirks.

I look at all the people surrounding me. All of them are looking at me with mixed emotions but most of all, relief. And like the doctor said, I am lucky.

"Come on, let's give them some time alone." Megan reaches out for my mother. She debates at first and then sighs in defeat. "I'm warning you," she says to Adam. He nods in return and says, "she's in safe hands." I squeeze his hand a little bit tighter and he returns it.  I'm not sure if I'm mad or happy at him.

As everyone makes their way out, I call out for Spencer. He stops in his track and everyone as well. "Can you stay here for a minute?" All confused eyes pace between me and him. He nods and I gesture for the rest to leave.

"Lis?" Adam asks, worried if it's the right time. I smile to him, assuring him it's going to be alright.

When I make sure that everyone else is out of the room, I turn to them. "What happened?" I ask. Spencer opens his mouth to speak but no words come out.

"No one can find Riley, Lis." Adam explains and Spencer winces.

"He didn't shoot me, Spencer," I tell him. And I feel his shoulder relax a bit.

"It's good to finally hear that." He rubs his jaw as he stares at the ground.

"Then who did?" Adam asks and I gulp down. His green eyes flash into mine and my throat tangles up.

"Lis?" His voice comes out worried. I close my eyes and let out a breath. "I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?" Spencer interjects.

"It means that I. don't. know." I stress on the words.

"Then what the hell happened?" Adam jaw tenses. Both are staring at me wildly, waiting for me to answer. How can I tell Spencer that Riley pulled a gun at me? How can I tell him that without bringing up the reason behind it. I can't tell him about Lucian. Spencer will find out eventually but it's not my secret. It's Adam's. And I'm not deciding for him.

"We will talk about this later. I'm tired." I say and close my eyes. I hear silent cursing and pacing across the room followed by a slam of the door. I peak my eyes open and Adam is staring right at me, his hand still tangled within mine.

I sigh. "I finished my shift and when I turned, Riley held a gun at me."

"He did what?" His eyebrows pull up as he grins his teeth.

"It's not like that. He was shaking and I could see he was hesitating."

"Why would he do that, Lesley? It was the same gun that shot you, right? If the gun wasn't there, you wouldn't have been put in this bed!" His voice starts rising.

"Adam, let me explain. It's not what you think." He runs a hand through his hair, a nervous habit of some sort. "Please grab a chair and let me explain," I beg. He hesitates at first and then follows, holding my hand again.

"I couldn't talk in front of Spencer. I had to get him out." I raise my hand to rub my eyes but I wince from the pain.

"Lis? Shit. Stop moving, please," he begs. I nod.

"This has to do with your brother." I finally say. 

"What did he do?" his shoulders tense.

"The girl he ... um ... raped was Riley's sister." His eyes widen and I keep going. "She committed suicide afterwards. She was only sixteen. and Riley knew all along who I was and what I saw because it was written all over his sister's journal.

He wanted to know more about me before he said anything. He wanted me to talk. To say what I saw. I should've talked right away. I shouldn't kept quiet." A tear strolls down, hitting the pillow. Adam reaches out and wipes it away, planting a kiss on my forehead.

I suck a breath in, trying to stop myself from weeping. I need to be strong.

"What made Riley change his mind?" He asks. I close my eyes, hoping to disappear.

"Lesley, please. No more secrets."

"I-I told him that Lucian did it all." I shut my eyes tighter, too afraid to see his reaction.

"You did what?" I'm not sure if he's pissed or relieved because his hand is still in mine but his voice says something otherwise.

"This is fucked up on so many levels," he says.

"I'm sorry, Adam." I look in his eyes as my vision goes blurry. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you the truth but I wasn't able to." I sniff. "I mean, how was I supposed to look into those eyes and tell you?

I couldn't. I always found your eyes familiar and it hurt me when I knew why. I can't tell if it's coincidence or fate that brought us together."

He tightens his hold on my hand and weakly smiles. "I happen to believe in fate."

I want to wrap my arms around him and let him hold me but I can't seem to move. He's that one string of hope left and with him still here, makes it one of the strongest strings of them all.

"I love you, Adam."

His eyes sadden. "You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on."

A grin spreads on my face as tears keeps coming. "Did you just quote Mr. Darcy on me?" I laugh.

"Yes. Yes, I did." He smirks. "And I'm planning to quote much, much more if you just let me be with you. I'm here. I will always be here for you, Lis.

I'm sorry I left. I'm sorry for everything," he buries his nose in my neck and I feel him inhaling, sending shivers over my body.

"I'm sorry, too." And I break. I cry.

After several seconds, he holds my face with his hand and plants his lips on mine. I cry even harder as my heart leaps. I missed him. God, I missed him so much.

He breaks away, eyes wild as we both breath heavily.

"We will figure this out. Okay? Together." He tightens his grip on my hand and I close my eyes, finally breathing.

The door of the hospital room opens and two officers walk in. I gulp down.

I notice that Adam is worried, but he tries to shake it away as he let's go of my arms and stand up. I wipe my tears away.

"May I help you, officers?" Adam asks.

"We've got some questions to ask Lesley Parker," the red head says.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.7K 998 58
For too long, Jessica has allowed the men in her life to shadow her dreams. This time she is determined to stand on her own. But falling in love with...
95 0 33
A typical bad-boy good-girl story... right? Tiffany Davenport has endured a rough upbringing, abused by her parents and fleeing home as a teenager. H...
33.7K 3.1K 23
"Why are you ignoring me?" "Ahh---Lucas I don't know. Whenever I have tried to trust someone I have been betrayed. Even my so-called friends have hur...
7.6M 410 5
***Please note that this book has been taken down because it's been published and only the sample chapters of the published version are available on...