Hero's Journey

By SkyAngel_

Kagon of Pik is a hero that goes wherever adventure takes him. All he wants in life is action and a heroic j... More

Hero
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author's Note, Please Read
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Tag ^_^
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Author's Note:
Chapter 49
Author's Note
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
New Book Cover!
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
IMPORTANT!:
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
Copyright
Critique

Chapter 30

17 1 4
By SkyAngel_

Hey, guys! I know it's been awhile, but I'm still here! Anyways, I just wanted to say that I've changed Delia's age to sixteen. I think the age fits her more. Anyways, I hope you enjoy!

~Ashlee

〰〰〰

Back at the camp everyone rejoices, happy at both their victory and in some cases, freedom.
However, Delia stays away from the festivities.  In everyone's joy no one notices, which is fortunate for her.  She needs the solitude.

Delia places her head in her hands, sitting on the same log Iglesias and her took watch on just the night before.  She can't get over the sound of the axe connecting with the Shadowlander's neck or the look of the bloodied head on the ground.

The scribe shivers and it is not because of the cool night air.

Not only that but Kagon has returned to her.  The man she traveled with for such a short time before the Fates literally ripped her away from him.  Her emotions are mixed on the matter.

When she found out she may never see Kagon again she was sad, but also relieved.   There are too many things she doesn't want him to know.  And now with his return those things will only be uncovered in due time.

"Ah, writer Delia!" Kagon slurs, sauntering up to her with a bottle of some alcohol churning inside.

"Hello, Kagon." Delia says.

Kagon plops down beside her and takes a swig of drink.  "What are you doing away from all the festivities?  And why didn't you tell me you were the one to set all those people free from those cages?"

Delia winces at his loud voice.  "I didn't get the chance to, I guess.  As for the festivities, I have a migraine." She says, adding that falsity to the pile of growing lies.

"Ah." Kagon nods deeply. "I'll just leave ya to it then.  But" he holds up a finger drunkenly. "I won't let you out of telling me all the adventures you've had without me.  Understand?"

Delia nods, she'd do anything to get him to go away. 

"Good."  He claps her on the back too hard and then stumbles to his feet.  "Have a good night. You've fought well."  He says before saluting and walking --more like stumbling-- away.

Delia sighs in relief once he's gone. It's hard to deal with Kagon sober, let alone drunk.

〰〰〰

Kagon wakes up the next morning with his head pounding. The sunlight seeping in from outside his tent does nothing to help the ache.

"Ugh." The hero groans, sitting up and grabbing his head.

After a few moment of rubbing his temples, Kagon crawls out of the tent and gets to his feet.  A simple migraine won't keep the hero in his tent all day!

Kagon shakily walks to the stream nearby and takes a long drink.  The water is un-satisfyingly warm, but it will do.

Wiping his mouth, Kagon goes back into camp where he sits on a log at the fire.  A couple women and men make breakfast while some of the others get firewood. Kagon can't help but notice the equality between them.

Seeing Iglesias, Kagon decides to ask him. "Iglesias, have a seat with me."

The dark haired man complies. "Yes, what is it?" He asks.

"Why do both the women and men cook? And why do the women participate in gathering firewood with the men?" Kagon asks, slightly surprised at the sight.

"Well, as I've learned in Pik, the women aren't treated as equals. Correct?"

Kagon nods.

"In Lanthos it is true that it is usually the men that do the hard outside work, but it is not odd for women to occasionally help in times of need. Unlike in Pik, they are as important as the men. I think it's because of the rougher living in Lanthos. We need everyone to help in order to survive."

"I suppose that makes sense." Kagon says, pondering this. "Is that why you allowed Delia to journey with you?"

"Yes, exactly." Iglesias agrees. "She has been a great help towards our cause. I don't think we would of made it without her. And that goes to say that I owe you thanks as well. Without your fighting in the battle, I think the scales would of been tipped far less in our favor."

Kagon waves away the man's thanks. "Anytime. I'm always up for an epic fight." He grins.

Just then Delia walks up, still bedraggled in messy clothes.  Kagon inwardly smiles, he's been in that same position many a time before.

"Good morning." Iglesias greets the young writer.

"Good morning."  The sixteen-year-old girl replies with a small smile as she takes a seat on the log across from the two men.

"It's actually good that you came. I have a question to ask the both of you." Iglesias says.

Delia raises an eyebrow in curiosity and Kagon turns his full attention to the dark haired man.

"During the celebration some of our group and the people we saved got into a conversation. We want to continue traveling along Oblivion Canyon or as the Shadowlander's know it, Gehenna, and continue freeing the people they've stolen.  I'd like you both to join me."  Iglesias says, looking at the two seriously.

Kagon speaks first, immediately shaking his head.  "No."  He says.

Out of the corner of Kagon's eye he sees Delia glaring at him.

Just like old times!

"Why not?" Delia demands.

"There are so many other adventures for me to conquer, I can't stay in a lengthy cause such as this when there's so much more for me to do.  Besides,". Kagon says, "from what I saw from out on the battlefield it looks like you have it covered."  Kagon smiles fondly at the younger man. "You're a great leader.  We'd only bash heads if I were to join you.  Two alphas cannot both lead a pack, therefore I cannot join you."

"I understand." Iglesias says.

Before he can say anything else Kagon speaks.  "However, if you ever need anything from me I'll be there."

"Thank you."  Iglesias smiles broadly, it is then that he looks towards Delia.  "And what about you, Delia?  Will you be joining us?"

"Well, I---" Delia starts

Kagon interrupts, ignoring Delia's sharp look as he does. "Delia can't come with you, she's promised since she started journeying with me that she'd document my adventures in an epic tale."

"Oh." Iglesias says. "That's unfortunate, I've spent so long journeying with you. It will be strange without you."

Delia's reddens at the compliment. "Thank you. I enjoyed traveling with you as well."

From the glare she shoots Kagon afterword he can tell that his interruption will not be forgotten by her. The hero nearly laughs.

"So, how much longer will the two of you be with us?" Iglesias inquires.

Kagon ponders this for a moment before making his decision. "I think we'll leave now. The day is still new and we can still get many of hours of travel from it."

"That sounds like the smartest plan. Pack all of your things and please take any supplies you need for your journey from us."

Kagon shakes his head. "With all your newly added members you'll need all the supplies you've got. We'll get the supplies we need from one of the abandoned villages."

Iglesias slightly winces at this plan, but Kagon hardly notices. "Alright, well, we should be on our way." Kagon says, then turning his attention to Delia. "Gather your belongings and I will mine. When you're done you can say your goodbyes, but be quick about it. We don't want to waste anymore daylight."

Delia nods and the two go their separate ways.

〰〰〰

Once Delia finished packing she goes and finds Maya outside her tent, staring bittersweetly at the clouds freely floating across the expanse of bright blue sky.

"Good morning." Delia greets, with a sad undertone in her voice.

Maya looks up at Delia, equally as sad. "I heard that you're leaving, Delia."

The copper-blond haired girl smiles sadly.  "It's true.  I'm to go back to my journeying with Kagon."

Maya sighs at the girl who had become her best friend.  "I'll miss you."  That's when Delia sees something glistening roll down Maya's cheek.  Tears.

At her friend's tears Delia finds her own eyes watering. The two embrace each other.

"May Fate find our paths interlacing once more." Maya says as they pull back from each other.

Delia places her hand on Maya's right shoulder and Maya puts her hand on Delia's left as is the custom goodbye in both Pik and Lanthos when someone is going on a long journey.

"Maya, don't let yourself be submissive towards people like Rissa.  You're stronger than that."

Maya nods, Delia can see her tucking away her advice for a later time.  "And Delia, don't you be afraid to take charge. I see a leader in you, a hero."

The hand not on Maya's shoulder lifts to her heart where a warm feeling glows bright inside of her.  She feels touched.

"Thank you, my friend.  I'll always be there for you." Delia smiles.  "But I do have a question for you?  What will you do now?"

Maya suddenly becomes timid. "Iglesias asked me if I'd escort the children and people who don't wish to fight back to our village-camp in Pik."

Delia's eyes widen. "What about Nandef?"

Maya smiles almost coyly. "Iglesias already warned everyone by talking about him. Nandef will be overthrown very quickly."

Delia lets out a laugh, but then becomes somber as she realizes she has to go. She has others to say goodbye to yet.

Seeing this Maya juts her chin over to where Kagon stands with Iglesias talking as they wait for her. "Go. I'll see you soon. I know it."

The girls embrace one last time and then Delia goes on her way, bidding the other men she's traveled with goodbye.

Finally she gets to where Iglesias and Kagon stand. Upon seeing her Kagon rolls his eyes. "It took you long enough!"

Delia sighs at this, but ultimately ignores him.

Iglesias smiles and the two men firmly grasp each other's shoulders --Kagon Iglesias's left and Iglesias Kagon's right. "Thank you, Kagon of Pik.  I wish the Fates be with you towards wherever your adventures may take you."

"I wish the same for you. And may your travels never reach the sea." Delia sees Kagon visibly shudder at his own words, but she decides to ask later.

Kagon with his shining golden sword and bag already swung across his back, looks at Delia expectantly.

Iglesias smiles at the girl and instead of placing their hands on each other's shoulders he wraps her into a quick embrace. When he releases, Delia feels her face is as red as the setting sun.

"Farewell, Delia. It was a pleasure traveling with you, and though I wish you could stay I understand that you too need to follow your own path. Don't ever quench your spirit, it shines bright."

Delia holds back tears as she realizes she'll be leaving another good friend behind. "Farewell, Iglesias. You are a true leader and I honestly believe that you can accomplish your goal."

Iglesias smiles brightly, a smile in which Delia wholeheartedly returns.

And then Kagon and Delia are off, leaving the mountain-camp behind for the hot sand and rocks of the near-desert below.

When the camp is far away Kagon speaks, taking out a book from his pack.  Delia recognizes the book instantly.  Suddenly she feels sick.

"Here's your book, writer Delia.  I was able to save it from the flood all that time ago.  Now you can properly record my tale just as you did before."

"And Fates do I have so many things to tell you as I'm guessing you do too."  Kagon laughs heartily.  "But no worries we have enough time in the world!"

Delia takes the book and tucks it into her own pack, offering the hero a wobbly smile.

But even with enough time in the world is it still enough time... for me?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3 2 1
ook Summary: "Labyrinth of Shadows: Thrones of Deception" In the world of the eastern kingdoms, where deceit and deception run deep, Princess Isabell...
196K 15.2K 51
{COMPLETED} The stars disappeared seventeen years ago. A black night sky has mirrored a bleak existence for the people of Auros. The Gifted, humans w...
49 2 18
In a world where lineage and magical power define one's destiny, the saga of Kal Launno begins with the fall of the kingdom of Tenai. Son of the Arko...
7.8K 770 40
A poor girl born with a gift, A lost princess with an unknown destiny A handsome duke with fate on his hands A mysterious stranger who feels familia...