Signed Away (SOON TO BE PUBLI...

By maryash12

A signature, a signature was all it took for Diane's life to come tumbling down and smashed into a million pi... More

Chap. 1
Chap. 2
Chap. 3
Chap. 4
Chap. 5
Chap. 6
Chap. 7
Chap. 8
New Story
Chapter. 10
Chap. 11
BONUS CHAPTER
Author's Note
Chap. 12
Chap. 13
Chap. 14
Chap. 15
Chap. 16
Chap. 17
Chap. 18
Chap. 19
Chap. 20
Chap. 21
Chap. 22
Chap. 23
Chap. 24
NEW STORY!!
FINAL CHAPTER

Chap. 9

64.6K 2.6K 995
By maryash12

Hello everyone!! Happy New Year! The first update and chapter of the year 2016. I want to thank all who have voted and commented on my book. I appreciate it. Thank you.

Please keep the comments and votes coming.

Anyways, enjoy and God bless.

-maryash12

Diane's POV

"Good afternoon gentlemen. Could I ask what is going on here?" shutting my door with a snap whilst staring straight at the men who were causing all the ruckus and wondering what on earth they were doing here. 

"Hello Diane. Long time no see"
Collins said gravely. He had aged since the last time I had seen him and looked worn out. Don't get me wrong he looked as handsome as ever, but one can see he held an exhausted look on his face. I guess that is to be expected when you are running an empire singlehandedly.

"Why are you disturbing my peace? And the peace of my office Mr. Dwight" I asked with my eyebrows raised and my arms across my chest. I loved getting straight to the point. 

"I wanted to talk to you" he said simply.

"Really?"

"Yes" he paused for a minute, almost studying me. I would have been unnerved and uncomfortable if I wasn't so used to this. In the business world everyone wants to know your angle.

"How are you?" he softly asked me.

"Very well. Now, I know you didn't travel all the way here to ask about my health. So please spare me all the pleasantries and get to the point" I said pointedly. The faster I got him talking the faster he leaves.

"These Neanderthals over here won't accept the fact that your busy and can't see anybody without an appointment" Delores screeched. Boy was she mad.

I shook my head trying to contemplate who in their right mind would go against Delores's commands? Well not me. I didn't have a dead wish.

"I see. Well Mr Dwight, as you have heard my assistant, I am booked and I am busy. So if you and your friends can leave I'll be much obliged" signaling with my head the door.

"Diane it is with the up most importance that I speak with you" he quickly spoke, taking a couple of steps to me.

I had to remember that this was Collins. Years might have gone by but that didn't mean the man was any different. What Collins wants Collins get. Sighing I rolled my neck. I really needed a massage. "How about I meet you in an hour and a half"

He looked taken aback and had a look of surprise on his face before it was quickly replaced with a blank look. But I still saw it. Probably thought he would have to wrestle me all day to get me to agree.

Well mission accomplished, I had succeeded in getting him all frazzled up and confused. I found out its the best and most effective way to really know someone's motive and truth.
Hopefully this will work.

"Okay how about at 4 at my office" handing me a card with his company's name and address embossed on it.

"Sounds good" accepting the card.

"Mr. Dwight, could I ask the reason for this meeting?"

He glanced around the room "Let's say I would like to work with you very closely"

Well if that is not cryptic. But oh very well. But I kept my feelings to myself and just nodded my head. He finally left my building.

"The nerve of that man! Walking in here like he owns everything. I was ready to send his pretty little face to the ICU" Delores huffed.

"She really was. I had to really hold her back cause I thought she was going to start swinging" Blaine said reenacting him trying to hold Delores back from performing bodily home. 

"Thank goodness that I came out as soon as I did then. Any later and I would be heading downtown to bail you out" I lightly teased Delores.

"Oh hush you" she scolded me even though there was laughter in her eyes. That was the Delores we all knew and love. She was the only one who could threaten to kill someone and the next minute be the sweetest thing since apple pie.

"Who is that man? From the way you and him were talking it seems you guys know each other" Katya asked me curiously.

"Just someone from my past" I replied with a smile on my face. Though it was anything but simple.

"A good someone or a bad someone?" Blaine asked.

"Okay everybody back to work. Those fools have wasted enough of our time" Delores said clapping her hands and ordering everyone back to her. Thankfully no one complained or grumbled, we all knew Delores was taskmaster.

I could kiss her. She saved from having to answer that question. I enjoyed a good relationship with my staff which sometimes bordered on personal more than professional. However, I did not enjoy having to talk about my past. I was bot ashamed of where I have come from. Bit something's I preferred to keep to myself.

I gave everyone a smile and headed back to my office. This day just keeps on getting more and more interesting. I sat in my chair meditating on what Collins could possibly want. I had a feeling of what he wanted but it made no sense. Why now? I mean after more then a decade he decides  to show up now?  After a good ten minutes I picked up my receiver.

................................................................................................

Two hours later I was walking into Dwights and Co Inc head office. It was big, expensive and over the top for my taste but nevertheless. People were busy working but a couple of people stopped to glance at us. And by people I mean men. I could almost laugh.

Before I could give our names to the secretary and other necessary information like who were here to see, she literally jumped to her feet and almost tripped over her feet to usher us to an elevator and pressed the button before stepping back out.

Well that was very weird. We both exchanged weird looks with each other but said nothing as the elevator took us to the 20th floor. Stepping out, I immediately made out the man I was here to see. He was standing next to the desk of a woman who I guess is his personal secretary.

"Diane" he called to me with a huge smile on his handsome face. I would assume that he thought I wouldn't show.

He looked pleased. And standing by him was an older version of Collins and Mr. Eric Timmons and another man I didn't recognize holding a couple of files and folders.

Well, this was quite a party I thought to myself. But why was I surprised, the Collins I remembered always used any tactics to get what he wants no matter how underhanded and dirty they may be. Nevertheless, I shook his outstretched hand. Only then did he notice another person with me.

"I'm sorry who is this?" he asked as he reached to shake her hand. He looked confused. And I gotta admit I was pleased about that.

"Oh this is a close family friend and my lawyer, Nina" I said introducing Tina with a smile.

All the men looked taken aback. I have a feeling that they were counting on me being alone and not expecting me to bring anyone let alone a lawyer. Uh, excuse me men, if I am going hunting I'm bringing a knife.

"Nina Jimmison?" the man next to them asked looking long and hard at her.

"Yes" she answered lightly. It is always humbling to see that Tina's reputation always preceded her. It made my job easier sometimes.

"As in the lawyer Nina Jimmison of Lockhart and Fowler?" he asked again.

"Yes" she said with a smirk. I think we have an advantage. Whatever they wanted or needed just became a real challenge when they found out that I had one of the best lawyers in the country.

He started to shake his head. I wonder what was wrong with him?

They looked at one another uneasily.

"Is there a problem gentlemen? I was under the impression that you wanted to work together so I just thought to bring my lawyer along" I couldn't help myself to say.

"No no it's fine. Shall we head in?"

"Yes. Let's get this show on the road" I replied as I followed the men to the conference room.

"Make sure no one disturbs us" he threatened to his secretary who nodded eagerly and meekly. I don't envy the woman working for Collins. I hope what they are paying her is worth it.

Once we were all seated and Nina and I had declined refreshments, Nina got straight to the point.

"So gentlemen what business do you want to talk about?" She asked enthusiastically.

"First off, let me start by saying; Diane I am so sorry for what I have done to you. I don't have the words to say how sorry I am. I would never make up for everything I have done to you and I plead for your forgiveness" he said looking directly in my eyes.

I looked at Nina rolling my eyes.

"My client sees no use for your apology but nevertheless accepts it. Now, Mr. Dwight, my client is a woman on a time budget. Time is money. Please let's hear this business of yours"

"Diane I also want to say how sorry I am" Eric Timmons started.

Okay, what was this Dr. Phil? I am not here to talk about my feelings, I am here for business!

"Gentlemen, please let us refrain from the apologies for the time being. We are here as a favor and would really appreciate our time and energy being put to good use"

"Can your client speak for herself?" Eric retorted. Wasn't it just a moment ago that he was pleading for my forgiveness? And now he is insulting my friend.

At this Nina just smiled at him and replied in a sweet voice that left no room for argument "Yes she can. But she'll prefer not to. If that is okay with you?"

At this, he just grunted and looked away. Leaving the room in silence once more. I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs "Somebody please tell me what I am doing here" at the top of my lungs. Of course I refrained from doing so.

"For the last time gentlemen, what and why have we been called here? You have exactly two minutes before we leave this room" Nina said in a firm voice causing the men to peer up.

"Well there is no easy way to say this, so I will come right out and say it" Collins said in a slow, solemn flamboyant way that I used to find attractive and demure. But right now irritable.

"That would be preferred" Nina cut in. I almost laughed out loud but managed to restrain myself for the look that Collins threw at my lawyer. Tina sure had a knack for getting under people's skin.

"I want to be in my son's life. I want to meet him and get to know him. I want to be a father and dad that I should be" he breathed looking at me the entire time.

I let out an emotional deep breath. That puts a stop to the speculation. I have got to admit Collins has some balls to ask that. Did he know the kind of woman that he was dealing with? The woman he knew 11 years ago is beyond different. If you would prefer she is dead and has been laid to rest.

Inside I was not panicking, instead I felt like laughing my head off. I remember before the boys were born I hoped that he would at least use his connections and come to see I and the boys; his sons. For two years I was pining for the day when a limo would pull up to my apartment and his driver would open the door and Collins will step out in all his glory and his $3000 suit. Then he would walk up the rickety stairs and demand to see his sons.

But after 5 years I knew it was useless to hope. What was he expecting from me? I could laugh at how naive I had been and had even worse I had allowed him to think of me.

At this moment he was looking at me intently, trying to find out what I was thinking or where my mind was. You can look but you won't find Collins. You won't find a broken mess of a woman. Not today, not ever. At this I turned to my defender and nodded her head for her to proceed.

Clearing her voice "Is that all?" Nina asked.

"In a nutshell, yes" he replied still looking at me intently.

"That is why we were called here?" She asked again.

"Yes. My client, is also willing to pay and reimburse your client for all the pain and emotional distress she suffered" his lawyer quickly added sliding a folder across the table.

Tina looked it over and chuckled, then handed it to me.

Glancing it over I started to chuckle myself. The nerve of this man. You want to know what this prick had the nerve of doing?

Well I'll tell you. The document was basically giving me half of everything that Collins was worth in exchange for him being in the lives of my son's and the return of his parental rights and privileges. And with a rough estimation that would bring it to be about $18 billion. Which was downright and completely surprising and off guard for a man like Collins Dwight.

But that was not the funny and best part. No no I had not gotten to the best part. The only way I could receive the money and be entitled to it is if I agree to a gag order where I would never tell my sons our history together. Meaning my sons were never to learn that he disowned and threw them away like yesterday's trash. The document was basically, a cock and bull story of how he couldn't be in their lives because of the danger it would have put them in. So he had to watch them from afar. But he always loved them and was looking forward to the day that we would all be together like one big happy family. 

I had to give the man points for originality and ingenuity. This was good, in fact this was awesome. This right here deserved a standing ovation. A round of applause ladies and gentlemen for Collins Dwight!

As I finished reading the crap in front of me, I threw it across the table back to his lawyer.

"Okay. That was simple and straight to the point" Nina said clearing her throat.

"Maybe you'll need some time to think this over?" His lawyer suggested to me.

I think this charade has gone on far enough.

"No I think we are ready to make a deal. Gentlemen, I must admit the contract and proposal looks good. But I am slightly confused about what child your referring to" I said crossing my hands on the table.

Collins looked shocked and surprised. But he quickly recovered himself. "The child we created"

"I am sorry, I don't ever recall having a child with you. Ever" I said shaking my head in confusion.

"Diane we had a child. A son. Eleven years ago! You were pregnant" he said in a raised voice.

"Oh I am not denying that I was pregnant. I am just denying that you are the father of my child"

"But I am" he argued.

"No you're not"
Really Collins have you forgotten already. The part where you and I signed that you were never to be known or even spoken of that you were the father of my baby.

"Diane please don't play dumb" he pleaded. "You know very well what I am talking about" he growled out. Rage apparent in his eyes.

"NO I don't. I have no child with you. End of story. And this will bring us to the end of this meeting" Getting ready to leave.

"Listen we can play this the nice way. Or we can play this the hard way" Eric finally spoke anger in his face and in his voice. I was wondering how long he was holding out till he came to save his precious godson.

I forget but wasn't it this very man who not just ten minutes ago begging for my forgiveness.

"Or we can play this my way. With me getting up from this seat and getting the hell out of this office" I said right back staring at him and mimicking every move he made. I stared at this man long and hard for him to know that I was not joking around.

"Diane please..." Collins pleaded and implored me.

"Collins please" I mimicked him.

"Diane remember the baby? The baby we had. The baby we made. Please Diane I am begging you" he said in a desperate voice pleading for me to see reason.

"I am sorry my child does not have a father called Mr Collins J Dwight" I said firmly. I was getting sick of repeating myself. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

"That is not true and you and I know it. I am the father I am the father of Juan David Jose Mario"

Okay. He clearly knew what he was talking about. He had done his investigation but I think he had hired an amateur.

"I think you're deluded" I laughed to myself. 

"I assure you I am not. I am quite sane. I know this sounds odd and wrong coming so late after more than a decade but I am pleading for your understanding and your mercy. I am begging you in the name of God Diane"

"That's funny, I thought you didn't believe in God" I said in a mocking voice pretending to think to myself. Tina was nodding her head in mock agreement.

"You are not even taking this serious!" he yelled slamming his fist on the table.

I raised my perfectly shaped eyebrow at him in question, daring him to continue. Because one more outburst out of him and I would not bother to be polite. I will grab my stuff and leave. One more outburst Collins and I was out of here.

At this his father I suppose it is his father, saw the direction the conversation was heading to and placed a warning hand on his son's shoulder.

That calmed Collins down but only just. Then for the first time in my life the older Mr. Dwight started to speak.

"If I can say something Ms Diane" he said to me.

"If you must" I replied shrugging my shoulders. What could it hurt? I have come this far might as well get this over with.

"I can understand your resentment and your anger. It is highly warranted. I can only just imagine what you and your son have been through. And nothing, absolutely nothing I or anyone can say can excuse what my son and my family have done to you. I am so very very sorry. There is nothing that we can say that can make it better. But please, don't let your anger and rage get in the way of the life of your child, Juan David Mario. My grandson. He needs his father in his life. You are a great mother and I applaud you for all that you have accomplished and the life you have given him.

However, there are situations only a man can help with raising a boy. To this day I cherish the moments that I shared with my own boy, seeing him through his success and failures. I want the same relationship and blessings I had with him for him and his son. I am begging you not to deny him. I am pleading with you, please don't punish your son by denying him a father" he finished his long speech.

"Thank you for your words, Mr. Dwight" I thanked the man sitting next to his son.

He nodded his head. And his son had a gleam of hope in his eyes.

"They really resonated from deep within me" I said with gratitude.

"Because I can honestly tell you that in all my years I have never heard so much crap spewed by one person" I finished with so much venom laced in my voice.

That certainly took them by surprise and they gasped at me like fishes in surprise. But I was not done yet.

"How dare you?! How dare any of you! You all have some nerve. Sitting here all high and mighty and talking about family and the wellbeing of my son when you, yes you Mr. Dwight was there the very day your own son denied his very own flesh and blood" I pointed accusingly at him.

At this point I was so glad that my voice was calm, had I been angry it would not be as effective. It was strong and each word resonated no betrayal of my emotion. I was just stating basic facts.

"You didn't stick up for him. You didn't care about your supposed grandson then. Some kind of father you are. You sat there as he denied and asked me to abort my own son, the very son that you are calling "grandson". What changed? Why now, why after over a decade will you want to know your grandson now, huh? Don't bother answering, cause quite frankly I don't give a damn. But listen well and listen good, my son is not related to you. You are not his father. You are not his grandfather. He is not related to any person in these room nor will he ever be. Get that through your skull" I finished looking each and every single one of them in the eye to get my message across. I was dead serious.

The whole place was silent. The Dwights looked at me in shock and pain and Timmons well quite frankly, I didn't have the damn or even the curiosity to read his expression.

"We can take this to court" Collins said quietly, in a defeated tone. Even I knew he was grasping at straws. But I really didn't have any mercy for the injured.

"Really? Come on Dwight your a business man. I expected more from you. Well you can go ahead and take this to court. But what judge in their right minds will award you custody? Even joint custody? Remember the contract we signed? Well I'll refresh your memory, it's ironclad meaning not even you can break it. My child will never know you are the father and you will never be acknowledged. Just like you wanted"

"You can't do that" he argued.

"Really? You'll find that I can" I said shrugging my shoulders.

"You can't do that! She can't do that can she?" he cried.

"I am sorry Mr Dwight but I have to remind you that you do not have a child with my client. The document is ironclad"

"That is what we wanted to talk about. About that contract could we please forget about it and declare it null and void. I want to get to know my child" he demanded of me.

"No"

"Excuse me?" he asked in disbelief. Has he not been listening to me.

"I said no"

"What my client is trying to say is she will not be accepting the conditions" Tina chimed in.

"I heard her" he growled and barked at her.

"But Diane it is my child" he protested.

"Since when?" I asked him and it was comforting to see him flinch back.

"Diane please have mercy I beg of you" he pleaded.

"Funny, I said the same thing to you. Remember your answer? No? Because I sure do. Oh and for your information the answer was no. Actually, your exact answers was "oh hell no".

"Diane when I said that I will take this to court I wasn't joking. I don't want it to get it to that point but you are leaving me with no choice"

"Please go ahead Mr. Dwight, I would really like to see you try. Though I should give you fair warning that no judge in their right mind will listen to you, the law is not on your side. We have a contract that can never be broken"

"I will take the chance" he said gravely.

"If that is what you wish. By the way I must tell you that if any judge decides to even take this to trial, for whatever reason, you will be opening the floodgates to problems and court dramas that will probably last for the rest of your life. Because, by dismissing our contract agreement, it will only be proving to the whole world that the great business man Collins Dwight does not honor contracts and legal documents. And trust me I will not keep quiet about it. I will create an impression that you should not be taken seriously. Take this to court Dwight and you will only be harming yourself. Wanna know why? I'll tell you, because I will personally see to it to help any man or woman and company you have ever had any business altercations with you to have the contract and the the law turned to their favor. That will also include any person you have ever sued, any hostile take overs, in fact any businesses you have ever done will be overturned to their favor not yours. I am sure that there are people who are just waiting to take you down. So if you think that it is worth risking your whole wealth and life to come after me, I'll be waiting" I said to him with a sweet smile.

When I finished every males eyes was on me, looking at me in shock and awe and fear. Nina just smiled at the room and chuckled.

"Well I couldn't have said it better myself" 

Eric cleared his voice and started to speak again. Oh what joy.

"Diane listen to me. Collins has changed. If anything it was I who pushed him into it for unspeakable reasons. Please for the sake of your son. As parents we must sacrifice our feelings for the betterment of our child"

"I wouldn't lecture about parenting Mr Timmons to me" I laughed at him with no humor in my voice.

"Diane what about your son your denying him a father?" he gasped at me.

"I can live with that. But enough about me, how about you? You who denied him before he was even born?" I questioned him

"I was wrong. I was so wrong. Please forgive me" he pleaded pitifully. "Diane please"

"I forgive you, honest to God I do. But your still not getting near my kid"

"Diane please"

"Tina can you feel this getting boring and redundant?"

"I agree. I think we're done here. Before I forget. This is a restraining order from Diane and her family. You are not to be at least 100 feet near any of her family" Nina stated pushing a file towards the lawyer.

Nina always thought of everything. 

"Diane, for the last time I am begging you with anything you hold sacred. You wanna know the reason why I want to be in my son's life?"

"Iiiiiiiii don't really care?" I said in more of a question than a statement.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath "The reason why is because-"

"Just a minute Collins. What ever is said can not leave this room. Can we count on your discretion?"

I shrugged my shoulders. I didn't really care.

"Okay this is a nondisclosure. Please read, sign and date" the lawyer slides us a couple of papers.

That does it. I have had enough. This was crossing the line. I stood up angrily

"Nina. I am ready to leave. I have had enough documents and contracts with the Dwight to last a life time, let's go"

"Good day gentlemen" I greeted them.

"No Diane there is no need. Please sit down. I'll tell you regardless of whether you sign or not"

Nina nodded her head at me and I sat down reluctantly.

"Diane, I am sterile. A couple months ago I was in an accident that rendered me incapable of having children. I can never have kids. You know how I always wanted kids. Please Diane that is why I am so insistent"

There was always an agenda. And here I was almost thinking that he had had a change of heart and wanted to be in my sons lives because he was truly repentant. And here he was using my sons as an ends to a means.

"You have my condolences Mr. Dwight. But that is not my business. And that is not my problem"

"Diane!"

"That is my name" I replied in a playful voice. And judging by the looks I was receiving it was anything but playful.

"Please" he pleaded.

"No. But did you ever hear the phrase a boy doesn't want his old toy till another boy is playing with it? Or the saying that people want what they can't have? Or what about you don't realize how valuable something is till it's gone? You know what they all have in common Collins?" saying his first name for the first time.

"They tell you to appreciate and hold onto people and things but people especially because you never know when you can lose them. You don't want a son to cherish and to hold and to love. No Collins you want a trophy and a verification that you are still a man. You know ever since I met you one thing you made clear was that no one can beat the invincible Collins Dwight. Not man and not fate. So as soon as life plays a card against you you play one right back to prove your invincibility. And you will do whatever means possible for the game to be in your favor, no matter how many people get hurt and burned along the way. You only, only want a son  for what he can do for you. Not because you genuinely love him. I'm sorry but I won't put my son through that. I wouldn't put my worse enemy through that"

"No, Diane you've got it all wrong. You know how much I always wanted kids" he cried.

"Quite frankly whatever you told me ten years ago I take it with a pinch of salt"

"No. You don't mean that"

"Even I know that you know that I do. I think we're done here" standing up hopefully for the last time.

"Diane think about our son. Think about you denying him a father" standing up to try and get through to me for the last time.

"Well the good news is, I don't have to think. Because there is no our. You and I don't have a child together. We never did and we never shall. Now I think I have overstayed my welcome. Goodbye gentlemen and if I ever see any of you again it will be too soon"

And with that I grabbed my purse and strolled out of the room. I could faintly hear Nina remind them of the restraining order and she walked fast to catch up with me.

Once in the elevator o pressed the button for the ground floor.

"That went well" Nina said breaking the silence, still staring straight ahead.

"Yes I suppose so" not take my eyes from the steel doors. 

"You know they won't give up right?"

I smiled to myself "I would expect nothing less"

Finally the doors opened and Nina in a typical fashion whipped out her Gucci sunglasses and slid them on as we walked out

"We'll be ready waiting for them, honey" and together we walked to the awaiting vehicle.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

456K 14.1K 46
Part two of the Hurt of billionaire. ************************************************************************************************ "Sir, Please le...
346K 7.4K 44
"Please Nick I'm begging you let's try and work things out you can't do this to Liam and I", I say as I'm on my knees and beg him but he doesn't even...
3.5K 179 23
a pregnant divorcee goes against all odds to fight for a place and establish her own Kingdom but what she doesn't realise is that she's not just carr...
4.4M 154K 50
*BEING RE-WRITTEN* "I never once told you I broke the engagement," his words were harsh and spoken in a cold voice but his hand that was running up a...