Uncharmed

By LaurenDMSmith

A chance meeting at party thrusts Tania into the midst of the world of psychics, were-creatures, spirits and... More

Uncharmed
Chapter 2: Anger
Chapter 3: Introduction
Chapter 4: Helping
Chapter 5: Fall
Chapter 6: Breakdown
Chapter 7: Encounter
Chapter 8: Exchange
Chapter 9: Quiet
Chapter 10: Low
Chapter 11: Surprise
Chapter 12: Friends
Chapter 13: Visitors
Chapter 14: Fun
Chapter 15: Revelation
Chapter 16: Tour
Chapter 17: Party
Chapter 18: Plans
Chapter 19: Question
Chapter 20: Point
Chapter 22: Misunderstanding
Chapter 23: Cusp
Chapter 24: End

Chapter 21: Upset

11.4K 213 9
By LaurenDMSmith

             “Hey there’s a party in my rez tonight, what do you say we go check it out?” Jill suggested during breakfast.

            “I can’t. I already have plans,” Tania replied, salting her hash browns.

            “Really? What’re you doing?” Chloe wanted to know.

            “Uh…” Tania scrambled for an excuse. She obviously couldn’t tell her friends the truth that she was helping set up and host a massive party for non-human and psychic teenagers.

            “We’re going on a date,” Alex cut in smoothly. Tania flashed him a grateful look.

            “Well what about the rest of you?” Jill asked, turning to the remaining five.

            Ilana shook her head. “Environmental Club meeting until late tonight.”

            “I have an essay due,” Theron replied.

            “I just got several last minute submissions for the paper,” Kayne complained.

            “Midterm on Monday,” Aiden answered.

            “I’m working,” Bredon finished.

            “Well damn,” Jill pouted.

            “Don’t mind us, you girls should go,” Tania told them.

            “But that’s not as much fun,” The auburn-haired girl complained.

            “Well St. Patrick’s day isn’t far off and you know there’ll be several massive parties then.”

            “I guess so. I just wanted to get drunk with everyone tonight.”

            Tania chuckled. “You’ll have plenty of opportunities for that.”

            “This is ridiculous,” Sarah complained.

            “You agreed they were hiding something too,” Chloe shot back over her shoulder as the four girls ghosted along the shadowed street towards Alex and Theron’s apartment.

            “Yeah but I didn’t think you’d want to follow them.”

            “They’ve been hiding something for weeks,” Madison remarked, skirting around the circle of light cast by yet another streetlamp.

            “Really?” Jill asked.

            The tawny haired girl nodded before stopping. “We’re here,” she said, indicating the darkened house whose pale walls glowed faintly in the half-light cast by the crescent moon.

            “The lights are off. I told you this was a waste of time,” Sarah grumbled.

            “I don’t understand. I was sure they’d be here!” Chloe cried, annoyed.

            Laughter from behind them caused the four girls to whip around. Standing beside the house was a slight young man with dark hair whose face was split by a wide grin. “If you’re looking for the party, the exit point’s up ahead. Just follow me.”

            “Thank you,” Madison replied, as the others just stared dumbly at him.

            “No problem. It’s my job. I’m here just in case someone is stupid enough to try and break into Donovan’s place. Not that anyone would really do except on a dare, but still it’s pretty stupid to have someone get killed or hurt. So I’m supposed to stop them. That and to help people who get lost,” He told them with a wink, walking across the dark backyard and into the even blacker forest.

            “Has the party been going on long?” Chloe finally managed to articulate.

            “For a good hour now. From the estimates we were given about half the people they expect have shown up, so somewhere around a thousand now.”

            “Are you serious?” Jill asked, wide-eyed. That was about half their entire university’s population.

            The man laughed. “I know. It’s almost impossible to get this many of us together. Then again Donovan was the one organizing it so it’s not so surprising. Alright then, just let me get Daphne to open the path and you’ll be set,” He said, stopping in front of a large maple tree. Reaching out he rapped once on the trunk of the tree and a moment later a glowing green circle had appeared. “Alright just head straight through there. Someone on the other side’ll explain the rules to you. Have fun. I’ll be over once my shift’s over so I’ll see you around.”

            Without another word he turned around and made his way back through the forest, leaving the girls to exchange a look and then stare at the circle. Hesitantly, Jill put a finger out and touched it. When nothing happened she shrugged. Lifting her chin in acceptance to this challenge, Chloe walked through first, followed by Jill, and then Madison while Sarah brought up the rear. Once all four were through, the glowing circle disappeared, and again they looked around, unsure of what to do next.

            “First time travelling the tree route?” A light female voice asked sympathetically.

            They jumped. “Yes,” Chloe replied.

            The brunette smiled at them. “Don’t worry about it. It was the first time for most of the people here too. Oh I’m Natalie by the way. So I’ll give you the run down on the rules then. First off feel free to help yourself to the food and drink and blankets, and don’t worry no one’s going to tell your parents if you help yourself to the booze. Quite frankly no one cares. If you’re interested in the university two of the profs are here, just go talk to them. They’re on the far side of the elementals. Oh and I don’t think I really need to tell you lot but there’s a strict no fighting rule. You break it and you’ll get broken. If you need some kind of help or have a question that’s not a general inquiry then I suggest you go see the Queen. She’s great. Last time she actually got Donovan to bite her just to answer some girl’s question. It’s nuts but she’s a nice girl. Just we have a kind of unwritten rule that if she’s talking to someone else you leave her be unless it’s some kind of emergency. It’s not fair for us to keep bugging her all night. Oh and we ask people to try to keep themselves low-key once they leave for obvious reasons.”

            “Where is the Queen?” Jill asked, after exchanging a look with the other three.

            “About halfway down on this side. She’s beside Donovan and his group and her pack’s just below her. If you can’t talk to her then talk to them. They’re pretty good about things even if they are loud.”

            “Thanks,” Madison replied.

            “Don’t mention it. It’s my job. Have fun.”

            The four of them waved to the girl before making their way down the hill towards the girl called the Queen.

            Tania had just said goodbye to the air elemental by the name of Ian when she heard a sound that made her blood run cold.

            “Oh my god! Is that you Tania?” Sarah’s voice called.

            Face bloodless, she turned around and what she was now praying was a nightmare didn’t end because her four friends were standing there staring at her. Nor was she the only one who turned at the sound of the voice, Ilana, Theron, Kayne, Bredon and Alex all turned to look as well.

            “Well shit,” Ilana murmured.

            Alex shrugged and ruffled Tania’s hair. “They were going to find out sooner or later.”

            Tania opened and closed her mouth several times before she finally sighed, shoulders slumping. “Sit down and I’ll explain,” She told them.

            “You most certainly will! Having this kind of party and not telling us about it,” Chloe replied angrily.

            “I’m more interested in how we got here,” Jill remarked, thinking about the glowing circle she’d seen.

            “Oh God. I forgot about the tree route. This is going to take some serious explaining,” Tania cried unhappily.

            “If you don’t want to do it I will,” Alex offered grinning.

            “Absolutely not! Don’t think I’ve forgiven you for how you proved it to me.”

            “Come on. That was funny.”

            Tania’s lips twitched. “Only a little,” She admitted.

            The vampire’s grin widened and Jill gasped. “He has fangs! Cool. Wait, is this a costume party?”

            “Might as well start there I guess. No it’s not a costume party. Alexander is just a vampire,” Tania told them.

            “You’re the only person I know who’d refer to me as ‘just a vampire’,” Alex remarked.

            Tania glared at him for interrupting before turning back to face her friends. “I know this is hard to believe me but trust me it’s true. I didn’t believe him at first either.”

            Alex snickered. “And you tried to ward me off with a cross. Like that’d work.”

            “I wasn’t thinking rationally. You scared me. Having someone prove they’re a vampire out of the blue would scare the crap out of anyone,” Tania retorted.

            During this exchange Tania’s friends had been exchanging more looks. When they’d looked over at where the other four were sitting, Bredon grinned and tapped his own fangs. Certain he had their attention, Bredon slowly retracted and elongated his fangs, making all four pairs of eyes widen.

            Tania turned around in time to see this. “Damn it Bredon! I was trying to explain it gradually,” She snapped.

            Closing his mouth, the black-haired vampire replied “This way’s faster and doesn’t lead to them questioning your sanity. This isn’t the first time I’ve explained about us to someone who didn’t know. And I’m not like Alex who finds it funny to go out of his way to be shocking.”

            “Oh they’re pretty shocked right now,” Alex remarked, smirking.

            “Oh god oh god oh god. This is a dream. Just a dream,” Sarah whispered frantically under her breath.

            “There is no way this is real. It’s got to be just a giant joke Tania came up with. Vampires don’t exist,” Chloe murmured to herself.

            “This…this…this is the coolest thing ever! I can’t believe you didn’t tell us sooner!” Jill cried.

            “It makes more sense then it doesn’t,” Madison remarked calmly.

            Clearing his throat to gain their attention, Alex explained, doing a credible job of keeping his face straight as he said “No this isn’t a dream and I assure you it’s quite real. Tania didn’t say anything to you before because we’re supposed to keep it quiet.”

            “Not like that ever stopped you,” Theron added, grinning.

            “True, but I only do it to piss off the council.”

            “So are there only vampires? Is everyone here a vampire?” Jill wanted to know, eyes shining with excitement.

            “No. I’m a dryad,” Ilana replied. “A tree-spirit of sorts. Other dryads are the ones who made it possible to step into one tree and step out of another one.”

            “I’m a were-lion. Mountain lion technically but that’s too long,” Theron offered.

            Already Sarah and Chloe’s eyes looked like they were going to fall out of their heads while Jill got more excited by the moment. Madison alone took things calmly.

            “I’m a psychic. You want a drink or something to eat just ask me and I’ll bring it over. Saves you having to walk all over the place,” Kayne answered.

            “You already know I’m a vamp,” Bredon said.

            “Aiden’s a fire elemental. What looks like a bonfire down there is actually some fifteen fire elementals relaxing,” Alex continued, smiling. Sarah and Chloe’s reactions were typical, filled with shock and disbelief. Madison’s calm acceptance intrigued him but what had him smiling was Jill’s growing wonder.

            When the four turned to stare at Tania, she held up her hands. “I’m normal like you guys. I found out about it after Alexander walked me home one day.”

            “Wait so you really asked him to bite you?” Chloe cried. “Doesn’t that mean you’re a vampire as well?”

            Tania’s eyes widened. “Where did you hear that?”

            Alex chuckled. “You really think something like that was going to be kept quiet? And it’s a conscious decision on my part to turn anyone. Same with any other vampire you’ll meet. Oh and don’t worry about getting bitten, it’s against the rules for us to bite someone against their will.”

            “Umm…so any questions?” Tania asked, nervously.

            The four girls exchanged glances and then shook their heads. “Well if you have any ask any of us. And well, I guess, enjoy the party,” Tania told them.

            “Hey they can sit with us,” Jason called, him and the pack having followed the conversation.

            “That’s Jason and the rest of the pack. They’re were-wolves. Except Celine. She’s half-Sylph and half-Siren. They’re a nice group. You can sit with them or you’re welcome to sit here with me.”

            The side-long looks Sarah was giving Jason made it clear, were-wolf or not, she wasn’t going to pass up this chance to flirt with a cute boy. “It’d be rude not to at least say hello,” the girl said.

            Laughing, the other three followed her down the few steps it took to reach the pack’s blanket. Tania kept an eye on them until they’d relaxed and were talking animatedly with the were-wolves. Only then did she relax herself and lean back into Alex’s chest. “Well that wasn’t half as bad as I thought it’d be.”

            Alex smiled and wrapped his arms around her. “Of course not. They’re your friends. By the end of the night they’ll be fine with it. There’s something to be said for complete immersion.”

            Tania tilted her head back and smiled at him. Eyes lighting up, Alex leaned down and kissed her gently, making her blush and him chuckle. He was beginning to enjoy making her turn red.

            “Well I have to say, this does look like fun,” a silky male voice said, interrupting not only Tania and Alex’s current conversation but the conversations of Ilana, Theron, Kayne, Bredon, the pack and Tania’s friends.

            Alex jerked his head up to stare at the pale man with deep red hair, Alex’s face swiftly turning hard. From where she sat cradled in his arms, Tania could feel him stiffen. “Kale,” he hissed, voice icy.

            The vampire leader smiled, revealing his fangs, as all around them every conversation suddenly ground to a halt until the whole little valley was filled with silence. “You’re looking well Alex.”

            Tania was startled by the man’s eyes. They were black. The exact same shade as Alex’s. Do they flash red too? She wondered, half-fascinated and half-frightened.

            “What do you want?” Alex snapped.

            Kale sat down beside them with one graceful movement. “I’m not allowed to come see my ‘son’?”

            “No. You’re not allowed to be near me at all, you sick bastard.”

            Sighing, Kale turned his attention to Tania, who was still staring at him, unable to look away from the man who so haunted Alex. “Hello there. I don’t believe we’ve been properly introduced. My name’s Kale Blackburn. You must be Tania Davies. I’ve heard quite a lot about you, you know.”

            “Uh, thank you,” Tania replied hesitantly.

            “Now, now there’s no need to be so shy. I don’t know what Alex has told you about me but I’m sure he was exaggerating.”

            “Leave. Now,” Alex growled.

            Kale smiled. “No.”

            With a snarl, Alex leapt to his feet, followed immediately by a still smiling Kale. Tania too jumped to her feet, turning around and gently placing her hands onto Alex’s shoulders. “Calm down Alexander. Remember the rule? No fighting.”

            Alex’s furious eyes met her concerned ones and he froze. After a moment he looked away, hating himself for worrying her, before taking a deep breath and sitting back down. Tania followed, returning to her seat in front of him. “Please sit,” She told Kale. “I apologize, Alexander’s been a little tense lately.” When Alex stiffened again, she reached back and placed a hand on his knee, stopping him before he could say something nasty.

            “Don’t worry yourself about it. It is rare that a conversation between myself and Alex ends civilly,” Kale replied, his smile apparently unshakable.

            He’s just as charismatic as Alexander, Tania thought before she smiled as well. “That’s a pity.”

            “Isn’t it? I do have to say I’m glad that such a charming young lady is keeping him in line. Alex can be a bit…wild at times.”

            “Nothing I can’t handle,” The girl replied, leaning back into Alex to make him stop growling.

            “Well that’s a relief. I would hate for you to get hurt.”

             Alex’s whole body went rigid and he let out a low, threatening hiss, earning him an elbow jab from Tania. Half turning around, she gave him a stern look. “Behave.”

            “He…”

            Tania cut him off. “I don’t care. You know better. If you don’t behave I’ll send you home.” Alex glared at her, but her eyes, which held an equal mix of concern, sympathy and annoyance, made him look away after a few heartbeats had passed.

            “Alright,” He sighed.

            She smiled at him before turning back around to face Kale who had been watching them with interest. “I assure you Alexander is no danger to me,” she told the council leader.

            “I should hope not or else I’d be forced to take him to task. Anyone harming a lady should be whipped. And you’re quite an exceptional girl. I heard you’ve been put on the friend list of every council. You’ve become quite famous in our circles. Have you ever considered becoming a vampire, my dear?”

            This time there was no containing Alex. He pulled Tania backwards, shoving her behind him so that she was out of Kale’s sight. “You so much as touch her and I’ll rip your heart out and feed it to my cat,” He snarled, small tremors of rage coursing up and down his back. Beside him, a puffed out Eclipse hissed in Kale’s direction.

            “Now Alex there’s no harm in asking. And the rule is quite clear about turning people against their will.”

            “Like that’s ever stopped you before,” Alex spat, eyes not flashing red as Tania was used to, but glowing red.

            Kale sighed mournfully. “I’m very sorry that we had a miscommunication on your desire to be turned but it’s too late to do anything about it now.”

            “There was no miscommunication. I told you no. Three times!” Alex shouted.

            “There’s no need to shout. I’m right here.”

            “Alexander maybe you’d better go take a walk to cool down,” Tania suggested tentatively, Alex’s black anger making her nervous.

            He ignored her. “Get the fuck out of here or God help me, I’ll kill you right now.”

            “Well I seem to have overstayed my welcome. It was a pleasure to meet you Ms. Davies. I’ll see you later Alex,” Kale said as he stood up, lightly brushing his black pants off.

            “Goodbye,” Tania replied, craning her neck around Alex to watch the man with hair the colour of blood walk up the hill, through the trees and out of sight. It was a full five minutes after he’d left before people started talking again and the conversation was muted. “He was provoking you on purpose, you know,” Tania told the vampire.

            “I know,” Alex growled, eyes still hot.

            Sighing, Tania walked around him and wrapped her arms around his head, pulling him close to her. “You need to calm down. He’s gone now. He can’t hurt you.”

            Alex wasn’t exactly sure what it was about Tania’s heartbeat, but hearing it always calmed him down. “He can. Tonight was a show of supremacy because we killed some of his men. He knew it’d happen when he sent them but he did it anyway. I know how he operates. Now that he’s reminded me of his existence, as if I could ever forget now that I’m stuck as a vampire for the rest of my ‘life’, he’ll either leave me alone for a while or drag me in front of the council. Either way we both know I’ll never be rid of him.”

            Tania sighed again, hugging him tighter. “Don’t say that. Nothing is forever. Not even this. And if he tries to drag you in front of the council we’ll all help you fight free.”

            “You will not,” Alex cried, jerking free of Tania’s embrace. “If he seriously decides to bring me in he’ll send his elite bodyguards. I could beat two, maybe three by myself but he’ll send nearly the entire squad. That’s twenty!” Putting his hands on her shoulders, Alex held her still with his eyes, darker than ever with worry. “Promise me you won’t try and fight against them if they do come for me.”

            “I…I can’t,” Tania whispered, knowing she wouldn’t be able to sit idly by and watch him be dragged off.

            “Please Tania,” Alex begged, fear flooding him. All Kale needs is an excuse. One excuse that’ll hold up in front of the other councils…He thought.

            “I can only promise I’ll try not to,” She replied, looking away, unable to deal with the fear and worry she saw in his eyes.

            Biting back a curse, Alex sighed and ran a hand rapidly through his hair. “Alright. If that’s all I can get out of you then I guess that’s fine.” I can get the others to deal with her if I have to. They’ll understand.

            Tania reached forward and slid her arms around his neck, resting her cheek against his shoulder. “I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

            Alex froze and then smiled, wrapping his arms around her, hugging Tania closer. “Thank you.”

            “I haven’t done anything.”

            “You care. That’s enough for me.”

            Tania buried her face into his neck, content to remain like that forever.

            Idly dangling his crystal wineglass, empty save for the tiniest trace of blood, in one hand, Kale sprawled elegantly over the two arms of his large wing backed chair. “You wished to see me, milord,” the short silver-haired vampire asked from where he knelt on the black rug not so far away.

            “I want you to investigate someone for me, Corbin. A girl by the name of Tania Davies. She’s a friend of Alex’s. Well more then a friend from what I saw,” The vampire leader smiled before his face darkened. “She’s weakening my hold on him. That’s something I cannot and will not allow. Not now. Not when I’m so close to breaking him. He will serve me. He must. All those of the Shadow King line must be under my control or there will be no point to seeking the box. I want you to find as much about the girl as you can, specifically her weaknesses and how to destroy her, and then report back to me. You are to tell no one of this. You know what will happen if you disobey.”

            Corbin bowed his head lower. “Of course milord.”

            “Then go,” Kale said, suddenly sitting up and slamming his goblet down onto the table.

            Bowing a third time, the vampire stood up and left the room, leaving Kale to brood, the council leader’s black eyes staring off into nothingness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

210 13 5
Amadia never really understood how fast her life could change...until her new friends in her new school tell her the truth.
226K 8.2K 32
Vinnie Monarch lives in a world where humans are aware that vampires and werewolves exist along with other supernatural creatures. To escape the cons...
577 10 23
A mother who refuses to remember, an all too familiar school counsellor, and a teacher hiding a terrible secret. Alex never knew his father. A fact w...
451 32 26
This story is about a 16 year old girl named Melody Swift. Ever since her mother died, her so-called "father" started abusing her. Kids at school are...