The Redemption of Severus Sna...

By ShadyGrim

I toyed w/the idea that if Lily could love Snape-albeit in a solely friendly way-then so could someone else i... More

Prologue
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Part 71
Part 72
Part 73
Part 74
Part 75
Part 76
Part 77
Part 78
Part 79
Part 80
Part 81

Part 13

463 26 6
By ShadyGrim

"What're yeh doin' havin' tea with that sneakin' squib?"

"Word travels fast around here," said Lindsay. "Who spilled the beans?"

"Never yeh mind." Hagrid was in an ill-tempered mood. He had to release the bats he'd reared, and it was really hurting him to part with them. They were already safely collected in his satchel, and he and Lindsay were waiting for the sun to go down to release them. The poor condition of his new Hippogriff was adding to his bad humor. The animal's physical wounds were healing, but his state of mind was no calmer. He wasn't bonding with Hagrid, and he wasn't yet strong enough to be introduced to Hogwarts' Hippogriff herd. Hagrid worried about the poor animal's uncertain future, and his fear was coupling with his anxiety over Buckbeak's impending punishment.

"I just like to get along with people, Hagrid," answered Lindsay.

"There's some people yeh just can't be nice teh," warned Hagrid. "Now yeh listen to me. Yeh don' tell that sneakin' squib nothin'. He'll turn on yeh in an instant if he thinks he's got a good bit o' gossip. Mark my words."

"Alright, Hagrid, I promise to be very cautious around Filch."

"We bes' get goin'. The littluns'll be wakin' up soon." Hagrid rose from his chair, picked up his satchel and crossbow, and headed for the door. He turned to give poor Buckbeak a doleful look before closing the door behind him, and taking his lantern from Lindsay. They strode from Hagrid's hut toward the Forbidden Forest with Hagrid's boarhound, Fang, in tow. Hagrid had his satchel over his shoulder, the lantern in one hand, and a massive crossbow in the other. "Yeh never been in the Forbidden Forest, have yeh?"

"I've been in the edge of it with Remus to fetch a Grindylow," replied Lindsay.

"The forest is dangerous, so don' go wanderin' away."

"I have no intentions of wandering, Hagrid. I'm a coward at heart." Hagrid laughed; he patted her shoulder and nearly sent Lindsay on her face. They walked a considerable distance into the seemingly endless forest. Lindsay was very nervous and stayed close to Hagrid. The Forbidden Forest had the feel of something ancient; it had a subtle presence, like it knew they were there. The forest was oddly beautiful in its own dark way, dangerously enticing. Lindsay thought of the old poem, "The Spider and the Fly."

At last, Hagrid found the ideal spot to release his precious cargo. With teary eyes, he set down his lantern, removed his satchel from his shoulder and opened it. The three occupants crawled out onto his outstretched arms. "Go on now. This is where yeh belong." They stretched their wings and circled Hagrid's head several times before disappearing into the darkness. Hagrid sobbed into his hankie.

"It's sad, I know," said Lindsay, reaching up to pat Hagrid's arm. "But they have to grow up." A rustling to Lindsay's side drew her attention. "What is that, Hagrid? Is that a little black dog?" Hagrid didn't hear her. The blast from his nose being blown into the hankie drowned out her voice. The black furry creature, roughly the size of a small spaniel, stopped moving and seemed to invite Lindsay's approach. She moved slowly and cautiously, talking softly to it. It was hard to tell because of the poor light being cast from Hagrid's lantern that still sat on the ground, but the animal looked strangely round, not dog-like at all.

Lindsay stopped and turned to get Hagrid's attention. The animal sprung up and sunk its fangs into her thigh. She yelled from both the sudden fright and the burning pain. Hagrid caught her before she fell. He wrapped his hand around the spider's fangs and carefully unhooked them from Lindsay's thigh. He flung the spider into the brush. It rushed up a large nearby tree and was met by an adult Acromantula. "I must apologize for my son, Hagrid. He's impulsive, but he is only two."

There was no time to argue as Lindsay needed medical treatment. Hagrid carried her to the hospital wing as fast as he could. She'd just begun to cough up blood as he arrived and left her in Madame Pomfrey's care. "Was a baby Acromantula," said Hagrid, barely able to catch his breath. "Bit 'er by acciden', too young teh know better."

Madame Pomfrey gave Lindsay a vial of general spider anti-venom and called for Snape. He would need to brew a batch of Acromantula anti-venom. The anti-venom for this species was unstable and didn't keep for more than a few weeks. It was rarely needed and, therefore, deemed not cost effective to keep it on hand. "That'll slow the effects until Professor Snape can brew the proper potion for her." She cleared the fluid from Lindsay's lungs and put her into a deep sleep. She would remain stable until the proper anti-venom could be administered.

Snape was asleep and didn't appreciate being jolted awake by Madame Pomfrey's voice urgently requesting his assistance. He didn't answer her; he rose, dressed, and began brewing. This potion required a certain level of expertise, but it didn't take very long to brew. He arrived in the hospital wing twenty minutes later with a fizzing, bubbling potion in hand. Both Professors Sprout and McGonagall had arrived within seconds of hearing Pomfrey's emergency call. Hagrid stood a little distance away looking doleful and periodically wiped his eyes with his shirt-sleeve. McGonagall paced pensively, and Sprout sat next to Lindsay patting her hand and petting her face.

This was no time to be concerned with politeness. Madame Pomfrey quickly took the potion from Snape's hand and returned immediately to her patient. She conjured a clear tube that extended down Lindsay's throat. Madame Pomfrey held a small funnel and slowly poured the fizzy potion down Lindsay's throat. It was a tediously slow procedure because of Lindsay's unconscious state. Once finished, Pomfrey flicked her wand and both the tube and its funnel disappeared. She set the goblet aside and checked Lindsay's' vitals.

"You arrived just in time, Hagrid," said Pomfrey as she straightened up. "She'll be alright in a few days. Thank you, Professor Snape. I'll be needing two more doses for her; the next must be administered in four hours."

"I made a small cauldron full. I'll bring it to you."

Dumbledore arrived just behind Flitwick. Neither had the chance to ask anything as Hagrid blurted, "It was my fault! I shouldn' a took 'er wi' me to the forest!" He became so emotional that he wasn't able to speak coherently. Pomfrey shushed him and continued in his stead.

"Miss Gray's been bitten by a juvenile Acromantula. She has a very deep bite wound on her leg. Hagrid arrived just as her internal organs began to break down into jelly. She's very lucky that it was a juvenile, or she'd be in much worse condition. I'll keep her asleep for another twenty-four hours. She'll be right as rain in a few days."

"It was an unfortunate accident, to be sure," said Dumbledore to Hagrid.

"There's nothing more to be done," said Pomfrey. "You may visit her when she wakes, but for now, I must ask you all to leave."

Neville was the first visitor that Lindsay received after she woke. She was still groggy from medication and Madame Pomfrey hadn't let her out of bed yet. Neville sat on her bed and read to her from a gardening magazine. There were loads of pictures of fabulous gardens.

"I really like that one, Neville. I think I'd like something like that in my garden."

"It'd have to be very large," replied Neville.

"Oh, it is. I have loads of space. You should come and see it sometime. Right now it's so dreary and empty. Maybe you could tell me what to plant in it?"

"I'd love too. I'll visit first thing when school lets out, after I visit my Gran, of course." Neville looked more closely at the photo in the magazine. "I've never planned a garden that big."

"Maybe we can talk Professor Sprout into helping us. The three of us will have a blast."

"Am I invited?" Remus bent down and kissed her cheek. He had a tattered book in his hand, which he offered to her.

"You don't need an invitation. My home is always open to you." She thanked him for the book and lifted it to read the title. "Ooo, poetry, how romantic." Neville blushed and looked from Lupin to Lindsay. "Just teasing, Neville," said Lindsay. "You can relax. There's nothing to gossip about, I promise you."

Neville rose and handed Lindsay the magazine. "I've got to go anyway. I've got studying."

Remus smiled and his eyes twinkled with devilment. "That rumor will be all over the school within the hour."

"Neville's tightlipped, Remus. He won't say anything." She thumbed through the book, squinting a bit. "Thank you for this. I don't recognize any of the authors."

"They're not Muggles."

"Oh, well that explains the unfamiliar meter." She closed the book and set it down. "I'll have to read it later. The painkillers haven't worn off. My eyes are still a little blurry."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 113 23
Shortly after Theda Desmond replaces Professor Binns as Hogwarts' new History of Magic teacher, she learns that she possesses a rare talent known on...
12K 233 24
Follow Alex Potter and Severus Snape through a journey of life, btw no Voldemort because it would pain me to much, James and lily are still dead. So...
5.2K 213 28
SeverusSnapeXReader Yes it's 2023 and I'm writing a fanfic for Severus Snape, so what? --------- Seventh Year in Hogwarts, the storyline starts earl...
45.1K 807 61
warning ⚠️ this story may contain surten triggering topics such as: deppresion , self harm , abuse, rape, alcholisme and other mental health topics. ...