Just Once (Book 1 in the Just...

By JadeLloyd94

Brooklyn Jones and Jack Morgan have been step-siblings since they were eight. When Brooklyn was fifteen, she... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Epilogue
Author Note

Chapter Three

25.4K 695 39
By JadeLloyd94

Brook’s POV:

What in the hell had possessed me to ask him to hang out with me!?

I mean its one thing to keep my distance and it’s another think entirely to decide to hang out with him.

But damn it to hell, I just thought; if I can get over these feeling I have for him, it would make my life a lot easier.

I chastised myself all day, knowing I should have thought about my words before I said them.

“Hey, babe,” Rick said as he met me in the cafeteria. I smiled and let him drape his arm over my shoulders as we came in.

I was starving.

“Hey,” I answered as I looked up at him.

He leaned down and kissed me. His lips framing mine as his hands dropped to my waist.

 I looked over his shoulder as he closed his eyes and caught Jack watching us.

Blushing, I pulled back quickly.

“What’s the matter?” Rick asked now and I looked at him.

“Nothing,” I lied quickly and he frowned.

“Is this because I didn’t pick you up this morning and you had to walk?” he asked with a hint of humour in his voice.

“No, I’m just hungry and I didn’t walk in, Jack gave me a ride,” I said now and he frowned.

“Yeah, Jack gave you a lift in,” he muttered sarcastically.

“Well he did. I don’t see why you have to be like that about it,” I snapped now, before heading to the line and buying my food.

“I would have given you a ride in, you know that,” Rick said as we left the line, our tray of food in our hands.

“Yeah, I know that,” I said now as we reached the table our friends sat around.

“Hey, guys, you all ok?” I asked as I sat down, I was answered by various yeses and I took the seat next to Larissa, my best friend.

“Hey, haven’t had a chance to speak today, you been ok?” she said as she took a bite of her pizza slice.

“Yeah, it’s just so damn hot,” I laughed and she nodded in agreement, her mouth too full to speak.

“What are you planning on doing for your birthday then?” she asked, before taking a swig of water.

“A meal with the family,” I said and I felt Rick turn towards me.

“You’re shitting me, right?” he snapped angrily.

“No, I’m not shitting you,” I said now and Lee, a friend of Rick’s laughed.

“Yeah, she isn’t fucking you either,” the rest of Rick’s friends laughed and I looked away.

If I was honest, the only friend I had at this table was Larissa; the rest were Rick’s friends, but he got pissed at me when I sat at the other table.

Before I started dating him, Larissa and I used to sit with Jack and the others. They were my friends and at times like this, I missed them all like hell.

My eyes travelled over to my old table to see them all laughing at something Frankie had just said. He was a damn genius, but he wasn’t half funny.

Kristy and Jane poked each other across Ken, who looked as if he was on the verge of smashing their heads together and I smiled. He’d do it too, they should know better before getting into an argument and poking each other whilst sitting on opposite sides of him.

Movement caught my eye and I looked towards him. Jack turned his head, as if sensing my gaze running over them and his eyes met mine.

It felt like a trance.

I longed to be over there with them, so much that I had thought of dumping Rick a hundred times just so I could sit with them... but I never did.

If I didn’t have a boyfriend, wouldn’t temptation for Jack be even more?

I knew the answer was yes, because before I met Rick, Jack and I used to hang out all the time, so much so, that I had found myself on numerous occasions sitting next to him, just staring at him and if that wasn’t embarrassing enough, people started to notice and that’s when I freaked out.

Jack said he had pulled away from me, but it had been the other way around.

 I had pulled away from all of them and I regretted it every single day, but I also knew I’d had no other choice.

“... fuck off,” Rick laughed and I pulled my eyes away from Jack’s and looked towards Larissa, to see if she’d noticed. She hadn’t. She was staring down at her food, looking bored.

“Go,” I said gently and she looked up at me, a frown on her face.

When I had switched tables, so had she. She was my best friend and I would be forever grateful she did that. But I also knew what sitting at this table cost her.

“Go where?” she asked now.

“Go sit with them,” I said softly and she shook her head, “I’m serious, I’ll still be your best friend, Larissa, but I... please,” she looked at me for a long time and then finally, she nodded.

“Fine, but if you want me to sit with you tomorrow, just say the word, ok?” she muttered now and I nodded. Knowing I wouldn’t.

She picked up her tray and headed over towards the other table. I watched her go and heard Kristy shout with excitement as Larissa sat down next to her.

Jane and their argument forgotten, Kristy threw her arms around Larissa and started speaking to her rapidly.

A few heads turned my way, Ken, Jane, Kristy, Jack... they looked over at me, as if waiting for me to join them.

I offered them a bright smile and looked away, back down at my dinner as Rick continued to talk to Lee and Jake.

 Andy and Rob were talking about some girl, who they’d both, apparently, slept with on different occasions, I was thanking god that they hadn’t slept with her together, not a conversation I wanted to hear about either way though.

“I’m gonna get to class,” I said now and Rick nodded, not bothering to look up from his conversation.

I picked up my tray and got rid of my food.

“Brooklyn!” Jane shouted, waving me over frantically. I smiled as I walked over to their table.

“Hey, how have you been?” I asked now and she nodded.

“Why don’t you sit with us, you look bored shitless over there,” Jane laughed.

That was Jane, straight to the point. Whereas Kristy though discretion was better, which was usually why they began arguing in the first place.

“I have to get to class,” I said now.

“Class doesn’t start for another ten minutes yet,” Jack said now and I looked over at him. The whole table was looking at me expectantly.

“I...”

“Come on, Brook, it’s been ages since we all talked to you. We miss ya,” Ken said now with a cute smile. I say cute, but the guy was built like a brick shit house. You didn’t mess with Ken.

He was on the football team with Jack, along with Cole, Ryan and Trey. Speaking of whom... I looked down the other side and saw them smiling at me.

I sat down and Larissa cast me a huge smile. She knew I missed these guys more than I would ever admit.

“So, little Brooklyn Summer Jones, what have you been up to?” Frankie said now and I laughed. No one used my full name, not even my mum or Nate.

“Not much,” I admitted honestly.

“Well, in that case, we shall fill you in on what you have missed,” Frankie said with a grin and he lapsed into a story which span out over four months.

The others joined in and it was like a bloody story they were all telling.

I couldn’t help but laugh at some of the things they told me; like the fact Kristy and Jane had been arrested by the police for starting up one of their arguments in a clothes shop and no one had been there to stop them.

Or the fact Cole had found himself a girlfriend, not just another one night stand.

Ken had gotten a football scholarship to University. Not all of it was good though; Ryan’s parents were getting a divorcé and Trey had broken his ankle last week and wasn’t able to play in the big game next month to signal the end of term for summer break.

Frankie had been called gay and was beaten up by a bunch of guys three weeks ago, but Jack and the rest of the football team had taught those idiots a lesson.

I looked over at Jack when I was told that, and he just shrugged.

I must have been sitting there for fifteen, twenty minutes before I realised I was supposed to be getting to class.

“Shit,” I stood up quickly and knocked Ken’s drink over. He screeched like a girl when the cold liquid spilt onto his pants and stood up fast, knocking Jane backwards off her chair.

It was like some sort of comedy film.

“Same old, Brook!” Cole shouted and my face flamed red.

“Sorry,” I said to Ken as I looked down at his pants and burst out laughing.

“I look as if I’ve pissed myself,” he sulked and I laughed harder.

“Does anyone care that my ass is in the air and my head is crushed to the ground?” Jane snapped.

“What’s changed?” Ryan laughed and I smiled.

“Help me up,” she snarled and he did, which was really funny to watch.

“I have to go. I’m late for class,” I said now, a smile still on my lips, “I am sorry, Ken,” I said, but the humour was still evident in my voice.

“Oh, I just bet you are,” he said and I shrugged.

“Are you coming?” I asked Jack and he stood up smiling.

“Yeah. I’ll catch you guys later,” he said as we left the table.

“We’re so late,” I said as we hurried out the cafeteria.

“What’s new?” he shot back with a grin and I tried to tell myself that he was my brother, I shouldn’t be noticing the way his eyes are shining and his lips are damp.

But I couldn’t seem to help myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please comment and vote!!

thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 115 15
[TW for angst and sexual themes] This Summer, Graham a shy teenage boy gets to meet his new to be step sister, y/n and they couldn't hate each other...
13.2K 308 26
Since forever it's always just been 13 year old Amelie and her Mum. They may not have been rich in money but they were rich in happiness and they wer...
30.8K 6.3K 53
Darkness isn't just when you can't find the torch. It isn't only when there's no electricity and the moon's nowhere to be found. Darkness is a feeli...
24.1K 408 25
16 year old Dawn is hiding a secret from her brother and their friends who her mother adopted. She now has four brothers. The only one that knows is...