Uncharmed

By LaurenDMSmith

A chance meeting at party thrusts Tania into the midst of the world of psychics, were-creatures, spirits and... More

Uncharmed
Chapter 2: Anger
Chapter 4: Helping
Chapter 5: Fall
Chapter 6: Breakdown
Chapter 7: Encounter
Chapter 8: Exchange
Chapter 9: Quiet
Chapter 10: Low
Chapter 11: Surprise
Chapter 12: Friends
Chapter 13: Visitors
Chapter 14: Fun
Chapter 15: Revelation
Chapter 16: Tour
Chapter 17: Party
Chapter 18: Plans
Chapter 19: Question
Chapter 20: Point
Chapter 21: Upset
Chapter 22: Misunderstanding
Chapter 23: Cusp
Chapter 24: End

Chapter 3: Introduction

13.8K 273 11
By LaurenDMSmith

             Tania woke up with a gasp. Looking about her room, she saw nothing out of the ordinary and relaxed. Just a dream, she thought as she got out of bed. Then she noticed the small scrap of paper that had, written in an elegant script, Alexander, and a phone number written on it. Tania began shaking and had to sit back down. It wasn’t all just a dream. It happened. Holding her arms tightly to herself, Tania attempted to quell her shudders and regain control of herself. Once she had stopped shaking, she went back to bed. There, at least, she knew she was safe.

            As the day progressed, Tania continued to refuse to leave her bed, let alone her room. She was glad, now more then ever, that she had no classes on Fridays. Not that she would have actually gone to them today, but at least she knew she wasn’t missing anything.

            Finally when it was just past six, someone knocked on her door. Tania pretended she wasn’t there. She heard a sigh from the other side of the door and then a familiar voice called “Open the door Tania. I know you’re in there.”

            Tania thought about it for a moment and then got up. She checked to make sure it really was Alexander before she opened the door.

            Alex shut the door behind him and then herded her back to her bed. He tossed the pizza box he carried down onto it and handed her a can of pop before snagging her chair with his foot and sitting down. “Eat. I know you haven’t left you’re room all day and you have to be getting hungry by now.”

            “I didn’t want to go outside,” Tania whispered.

            “I can understand that but you can’t stay in here forever. You’re lucky it was me who came to get you and not your friends.”

            “What do you mean?” Tania asked, freezing in the midst of opening the box.

            “They accosted me. Thought I’d done something to you and that’s why you hadn’t left your room. I told them you might be sick and that I’d bring you food. They’re the ones who told me what kind of pizza to get you.”

            Tania flushed. “I’m sorry.”

            “Don’t be. Now hurry up and eat that. It’s movie night so we need to leave by seven thirty or we’ll be late.”

            “What?”

            “It’s tradition. My friends and I watch a movie every Friday at eight. You’re coming. You’ll want to put clothes on while you’re at it. Unless you want to wear your pjs there. Either way’s fine with me.”

            Looking at the clock, Tania began to wolf down her pizza. “I’m going to take a shower.”

            “I’m not stopping you,” Alex replied.

            “Don’t you dare move from that spot,” She ordered him. Alex merely grinned.

            Giving him a glare for good measure, Tania hurried into the bathroom she shared with the girl next door and proceeded to scrub herself from head to toe. The hot water and soap seemed to have a spiritually cleansing affect as well as a physical one because Tania felt much better once she got out. She changed back into her pyjamas, not entirely sure if she could trust Alexander, and went back into her room.

            Alex was sitting in the chair, still looking remarkably amused. Tania went to her dresser and dug clean clothes out, eyed Alex suspiciously and then scurried back into the bathroom to change. Once fully clothed, she dried her hair and then went back to where Alex was still sitting.

            “There. We can leave whenever you want.”

            “I’d wear a lighter top. Put a sweater or something on top if you’re worried about getting cold on the way there but Aiden’s going to be there so it’ll be pretty warm,” Alex suggested.

            Tania frowned and then began rummaging in her closet. “Who’s Aiden?”

            “One of my friends. He’s a fire elemental so even when he’s not being fire he still puts out quite a bit of heat. It’s quite nice in the winter.”

            “A fire elemental?”

            “Basically think of him as a person made of fire. He can take a physical form and in fact keeps to it most of the time but he really is just a big walking, talking fire.”

            Tania shook her head and came out of the bathroom again. “I don’t know if I can deal with all this.”

            “You’ll be fine. Ilana’ll be there too.”

            “Really?”

            “Yep. Bet you can’t guess what she is.”

            “Wait. She’s not human either?”

            “No. Only one of my friends is human and he’s a psychic.”

            “I think I’m still asleep.”

            Alex laughed. “No you’re not,” He said as he ruffled her head. “You’re just learning about the whole world.”

            For once Tania let him tousle her hair, brushing it back out again after. “Alright then what’s Ilana cause I’ll never guess.”

            “Dryad.”

            “What’s a dryad?”

            “Tree-spirit. Dryads live in trees for their whole lives. Ilana’s a special case. Her tree was destroyed while she was out for a walk so she lives outside.”

            “This is really weird.”

            “You’ll get used to it. There’s also Theron, he’s my roommate. He’s a were-lion. Well were-mountain lion to be exact but that’s too long to say. And of course Kayne’s our psychic.”

            “He reads minds?”

            “Not really. He specializes in telekinesis. He can move stuff with his mind. It’s useful because none of us have to get up to get anything during the movie.

            “I think my head’s going to explode.”

            Alex laughed again. “It won’t. I just figured we’d get all the explanations out of the way beforehand so we can watch the movie uninterrupted. Now let’s go.”

            Tania followed Alex out; slowly processing all the information she’d just been given. They followed one of the many asphalt paths that criss-crossed the campus in seemingly random patterns. Surprisingly, despite the darkness and similarity to what had happened the night before, Tania wasn’t nervous at all. For all that he irritated her to depths she had never experienced before, Tania still felt safe with Alexander. Maybe it was because he’d saved her, or maybe it was because nothing had happened to her on any of their other walks. Whatever the reason, Tania was more relaxed now then she’d been all day as they made their way through the dark campus.

            “So where do you live?” She asked.

            “Theron and I rent the top half of a house about five minutes from campus. Aiden and Kayne are in the bottom half and Ilana lives on campus. Though if we’re not in class, sleeping or at a party we’re up in Theron and mine’s apartment. So if you’re ever looking for any of us just come on over. Someone’s almost always there. And we all generally know where the others are.”

            Tania looked away, embarrassed. “Thank you,” she whispered.

            Alex tousled her head again, grinning. “No thanks necessary. Oh I forgot to ask, is there any kind of movie you don’t like? Cause we’ll watch pretty much anything.”

            Tania shook her head.

“Now let’s hurry up before they eat all the snacks without us. I wouldn’t put it past Theron. He eats more then anyone I know and I happen to know a several were-bears and were-wolves, so it’s quite impressive.”

            “Are there a lot of people like that here?”

            “A few. Not that many really. It’s the reason I decided to come here.”

            “Why?”

            Smiling, Alex explained. “I’m not on the best terms with the vampire council. They sort of have it in for me because I broke a few rules.”

            “It wasn’t a few. I think there’s maybe three you haven’t broken.”

            Tania looked ahead and saw Ilana standing by a handsome tan brick house with a smile on her face.

            “Three? Did they come up with a new one I haven’t broken yet?”

            Ilana chuckled. “I don’t know. Probably. Now hurry up. It’s getting cold out.”

            Laughing, Alex led Tania up the stairs and into his home.

            The first thing Tania noticed was the darkness. All the lights were off and only the blue screen of the big screen TV provided any kind of light. Alex tugged on her arm and led her to the couch at the far end of the room. There was a loveseat in the middle of the room directly in front of the TV and a couch on either side, slanted towards the television which was the centre for this room. Behind the seats was a half-wall, which seemed to serve as a counter if the bags of chips and cans of pop were any indication, through which the kitchen could be seen.

            In the darkness Tania couldn’t discern the colour of the walls or the couches, only able to tell that the walls were pale and the couches dark. Alex sat her down in the middle of the couch while he sat down on her right, farthest from the door, and Ilana sat on her left.

            “Alright so this is Tania everybody,” Alex announced.

            “Finally another girl,” Ilana replied. “Now you guys can’t be so freaking sexist.”

            “Hey now,” Called the large man Tania had now seen twice, who sat at the end of the other couch that was closest to the door. “I’m not sexist. I believe in a woman’s right to choose. Top or bottom, it’s all good.”

            Ilana threw a pillow at him. “I will hurt you.”

            “That’s Theron,” Alex explained as the tall, dark blond man caught the pillow with ease and sent it hurtling back at Ilana.

            The pillow froze right in front of Ilana’s face before dropping lightly down into her lap. “Don’t throw the pillows so hard. Those buttons aren’t soft,” The man beside him admonished.

            “That’s Kayne. If you want a drink or something ask him. It’s why we keep him around.”

            “Don’t fill her head with lies,” Kayne complained.

            “I’m not. I’m telling the truth.”

            Alex caught the can of pop that came rushing towards him and opened it in one swift movement. “See? Now the one in the middle is Aiden.”

            “I get my very own couch,” Aiden said smugly.

            “Only because the rest of us like our bodies unburned,” Alex retorted.

            “Not my fault you people can’t handle a little heat.”

            Rolling his eyes, Alex turned towards Kayne. “Hey are we going to watch the movie or what? Hit play.”

            “Yes, oh master of the world,” Kayne replied scathingly.

            “It’s only right the best should be the master of the world,” Alex replied in an overbearing manner. This time everyone, including Tania, threw a pillow at him.

            Laughing, Alex leaned back into the chair and everyone else had to laugh too before turning their attention towards the TV. It was the latest Bond film and they hadn’t gotten that far in when Tania learned a simple fact about watching movies with Alex and his friends. If she actually wanted to watch the movie she was going to have to go out and rent it because they kept up a running commentary and critique of the film, which frequently led to interesting tangents.

            “Will you look at that?” Aiden complained. “A car wouldn’t burn like that let alone explode that way. Honestly. You’d think they’d try and make it look real.”

            “Most special effects artists aren’t the expert you are on fire,” Kayne shot back.

            “Well who was complaining last time about the completely unrealistic portrayal of psychics and visions in that psychic movie we watched last week?”

            “Will you two knock it off? We all know the people who make movies have no clue as to how things really are. How many bad were-movies have we seen? Honestly.” Theron grumbled.

            “At least your race is portrayed as a bunch of sluts,” Ilana put in.

            Alex shook his head. “That’s the nymphs Ilana. And you have to admit it’s not a stereotype in their case. It’s true.”

            “People always say dryads and nymphs are the same thing though.”

            “And some people say vamps and zombies are the same thing but you don’t hear me whining about it. Face it Ilana, a lot of people are stupid.”

            Kayne started laughing, drawing everyone’s attention. “I’m always impressed at how easily Bond always ends up seducing the girl. I think he could give you a run for your money Alex.”

            “No he can’t. If I wanted to I could easily charm any girl into my bed. I just choose not to.”

            “I don’t know. He does have the accent…” Ilana mused.

            Alex smirked. “Yeah but so do I. I was born and raised in England,” He replied in Queen’s English.

            “Did I know you could do that?” Ilana asked.

            “Nope,” Alex answered, obviously pleased with himself.

            “Ignore him. He likes to keep secrets and then reveal them at the most shocking or most random moment,” Theron told the others.

            “Everyone has secrets,” Alex replied.

            “Yeah but you hoard yours.”

            “Not all of them. Who here doesn’t know I’m a vamp?”

            Aiden feigned shock. “You’re a vampire?”

            Alex rolled his eyes. “Very funny.”

            “Come on. You set yourself up for it.”

            “And that fact you just had to say it shows your complete lack of self-control,” Alex retorted.

            “If I didn’t have self-control you wouldn’t have a couch.”

            “We used to have a recliner, if you recall. Now what happened to that?” Theron put in.

            “Hey you’re the ones who bought a flammable chair and then had me sit in it during a good comedy. You’re as much to blame for it as I am.”

            “This is why you’re not allowed in movie theatres,” Alex said.

            “I’m allowed in. I just don’t go in. Their seats are worse than that armchair was.”

            “Then why don’t you start a movie theatre just for elementals? Make the seats steel or something and have cushions flame-retardant, water-proof cushions available upon request,” Theron teased.

            “If I do that then you should start a were-bar. You’re always complaining about your inability to let loose when we go out.”

            “Alright let’s stop this conversation. We have it almost every week. I think we have established that fact that there are few public venues that cater to each of our unique needs,” Ilana said rolling her eyes.

            “Speak for yourselves,” Kayne replied, grinning.

            The other four threw pillows at him which Kayne sent flying back at them. “Hey now, I’m not the only human anymore. Throw something at Tania. She’s completely normal.”

            “Yes but she’s not gloating about it like a certain psychic I could name,” Ilana shot back.

            “Besides,” Alex said grabbing Tania and pulling her into his lap. “She’s my snack.”

            Tania shook her head and shoved herself off him. “The hell I am, Alexander.”

            “Finally she speaks.” Theron laughed.

            Kayne was smothering his amusement and doing a miserable job of it. “She calls you Alexander?” He finally managed to choke before beginning to howl with laughter.

            Aiden was laughing now as well. “I’ve never heard anyone call you that ever,” he gasped, little trickles of fire streaming from his eyes lighting up his face and glinting off his hair which much resembled the flames now leaking from his eyes.

            Tania looked down. “It’s revenge for him bugging me.”

            Now Theron was laughing as well. “Serves him right.”

            Alex was beginning to look a little disgruntled. “Aiden if you’re going to laugh that hard go down to your room where you can’t hurt anything.”

            “Going,” The elemental panted between bouts of mirth, stopping only long enough to grab his shoes before running outside, little flamelets appearing around him as he continued to laugh.

            Even Ilana was chuckling at this point. “What’s funniest is that it actually bothers you that we find it amusing,” She said, green eyes dancing with glee.

            “I’m taking Tania home now,” Alex said stiffly, getting to his feet.

            Tania’s eyes felt like they were permanently locked onto the floor. She got up as well to get her shoes but a hand stopped her. Looking over, she saw Ilana grinning at her. “Make no mistake, he does deserve it. He’s just not used to people laughing at him,” She explained, winking, before shoving Tania towards the door where Alex was already holding open and waiting.

            Despite Ilana’s words Tania still felt guilty about embarrassing Alex in front of his friends. “I’m sorry. I…”

            Alex cut her off. “There’s nothing you should be apologizing for. I didn’t think about it beforehand but movie night is pretty much us at our worst. We start contests on whose race has the worst representations and stereotypes about it, we mercilessly tease each other and we start arguments about the most trivial things. All in all it probably wasn’t the best way to introduce you to them.”

            “But it was fun. They’re all nice people.”

            Raising an eyebrow, Alex looked at her. “Are we talking about the same people here? In public, yeah, we’re all nice people but in private we are some of the worst people you could possibly come into contact with. We’re all completely caught up in our own little world and pay very little attention to those outside it, even others of our respective races. You’re the first new addition to our group since the first month of our first year.”

            “But you’re all so close. You’re teasing each other yes but you’re not being malicious about it. It’s all in fun. Isn’t it nice to have people you’re that comfortable with?”

            Alex stopped dead and just stared at her. “You…is that how you see the world? Is that how you see us?”

            Tania looked up at Alex frowning. “Of course. It’s how you are. You’re obviously good friends and nice people.”

            Shaking his head, Alex smiled before reaching over and ruffling her hair. “It’s cute how innocent you are.”

            She slapped his hand away. “I told you to stop that,” she snapped. “And I’m not innocent. I’ve seen plenty of nasty things. After all I’m friends with you aren’t I?”

            “Oh ho. So your claws aren’t completely gone. I was beginning to wonder.” Alex laughed.

            Tania gave him the finger. “You’re an irritation, Alexander.”

            “I’m fine with that. You see you keep forgetting I am in fact an evil incarnation.”

            “And I’m a fairy.”

            Alex choked, eyes dancing. “In a manner of speaking you are.”

            “What do you mean?” Tania asked suspiciously.

            “Haven’t you ever gone and looked the meaning of your name up before?”

            Tania frowned. “No. I assume from your snickers that you do.”

            “Yes. Tania means fairy.”

            “You’re lying!”

            “Am not. It’s the truth. Look it up if you don’t believe me. Do the rest of your name while you’re at it. It’s pretty funny.”

            “What does the rest of my name mean?” Tania cried, running after Alex who had started walking away.

“Not telling.”

“Damn it Alexander, tell me!”

Laughing the vampire led Tania back to campus, teasing her the whole way. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 252 32
For a special mission, a group of three wizards and a witch arrived in the human realm. Each of them has their own special powers. They met a female...
58.1K 2.3K 23
In a world similar and yet very different from ours, that's where our story will lead us. Even in a world of supernatural and magic, there can still...
632K 34.6K 67
Time didn't matter to her. She got up when the sun did and tried to sleep when the sun went down. because of this seemingly endlessness, she's forgot...
84K 3.2K 19
River had only a few things on her mind which is her best friend, family and school. Until the beginning of senior year when she meets Luca everythi...