Something Worth Living For (W...

By nikkichicky

Allison Warner was head over heels in love with her ambitious sport journalist boyfriend, Eric Denton and cou... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
(CH 9)Something Worth Living for
Chapter 10 Something Worth Living for
Chapter 11 Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 12) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 14) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 15) Something Worth Living For
(chapter 16) Something Worth living For
(Chapter 17) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 18) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 19) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 20) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 21)Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 22) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 23) Something Worth Living For
(Chapter 24) Something Worth Living For

Chapter 13 Something Worth Living For

79.1K 1.1K 233
By nikkichicky

Chapter 13   

She knew she needed to get that stupid kiss out of her head and fast, when she still couldn’t forget it the next morning. It had only been a simple kiss on the cheek, a goodbye kiss between friends, yet Allison couldn’t help her heart that fluttered at the thought of his soft, moist lips brushing the delicate flesh of her cheek.

She chided herself for acting like a school girl as she felt a slight blush rise to her cheeks once again. She knew she should forget that kiss, but the alternate thoughts in her mind trouble her way to much and had her playing the kiss over again just so she could forget them.

But this time the kiss didn’t help. The flood gates had been opened and now Allison was faced with the harsh words of Heather once again.

Well that squished any thoughts of the kiss.

She lied to Eric yesterday when he asked about what she and Heather had spoken about, because she didn’t want him to know what Heather not only accused her of, but the hateful words she said too.

After Eric had brushed Heather off and headed to Chloe’s room, Heather had immediately turned her accusing glaze on Allison. She had to admit; the look Heather sent her made her feel uncomfortable and had her hurriedly apologising for what Chloe had said, even if she wasn’t responsible for the fancy filled thoughts of her daughter.

“Heather, I’m sorry about-”

Heather held up a hand to stop her, causing Allison to immediately shut her mouth, “Save your apologies. Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing.”

“I don’t know what you’re implying, but whatever it is, you’re wrong.” Allison said defensively.

Heather scoffed at her, “Please, I’m sure you’re the one who put those thoughts into your daughter’s head. It’s obvious that she didn’t think of it all on her own.”

Allison’s anger, which she’d bottled up for Eric’s sake, bubbled to the surface, “Excuse me?” she didn’t like what Heather accused her of, nor the fact that she made Chloe sound like an idiot, “I put no such thoughts into her head and she is quite capable of thinking the thoughts she had. Every child wants to have their parents to be together. It’s not an uncommon thing and frankly, I’m not surprised by it either.

“Oh, so you’re admitting to being a manipulator than?”

“I’m not admitting to anything, least of all that, especially when I’m innocent.” Allison exclaimed.

Heather laughed tauntingly, “You’re innocent? You lied to Eric for the past eight years. How are you innocent in all of this?”

Allison had no words for the woman who came into her home and accused her of all these devious things. How could Eric not see through all her layers that made her seem like such a nice person?

“What, nothing to say?”

“You know what? I don’t care what you think of me. I have a beautiful daughter, family, and friends. What do you have?”

She stuck out her chin defiantly, “I have Eric.”

Allison nodded in agreement, but then looked her levelly in the eyes, “Not for long, you won’t. One day he’s going to see right through your act and you and I both know he’ll choose Chloe over you.”

Allison glared at her for another moment and then pushed passed her, but Heather gripped her upper arm, holding her in place.

The look that she sent Allison was anything but friendly, quite frankly, it scared Allison.

“If you so much as interfere in mine and Eric’s relationship, I’ll make sure your daughter never see him again.” she threatened, “Because I’ll make sure Eric chooses me. And your so called perfect life will be shattered.”

Allison could see she meant what she said and could feel her fear of the crazed woman, but wouldn’t show her how much she affected her.

After a brief pause, Heather spoke in a low voice, “Don’t mess with me. I’m not your friend. I won’t hurt your daughter. I’m not an animal, but try and take Eric from me and I will take action.”

Allison could see that Heather wouldn’t hurt her, not physically anyway, but that she would make good on her threat if she felt threatened herself in anyway.

But two can play that game, Allison thought as she found her courage again and pulled her arm from Heather’s iron grip, sending her the same death glare.

“I’m going to wait in the car.” And without so much as a glance in her direction, Heather headed out the front door, slamming it behind her.

Allison sighed as she recalled the events from yesterday that had her nerves in a tight ball. She could tell Heather wasn’t the violent sort, but man could she send a mean threat. It’s no wonder she’d was such an acclaimed journalist.

She didn’t like the thought of Chloe in Heather’s presence but it was clear from their conversation yesterday, that Heather really did love Eric and that she would do anything to keep him in her life and that included being the nicest person she could be to Chloe.

“So are you going to tell me what’s with the deepening frown on her face or am I supposed to guess?”

Allison jumped at the sound of Jared’s voice behind her.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you. Though I seem to be doing that a lot lately.” He mused, smiling at her.

A brilliant smile formed on Allison’s face at the sight of him, “True, but you always seem to sneak up on me when I’m really concentrating.”

“If what you’re doing is concentrating, then I can only imagine the number of headaches you must get.” He teased.

“Funny,” she countered, going back to her work. But Eric never left as she expected him to do. Instead, he leaned against the operating table and crossed his hands over his chest.

Allison peeked up at him. His face was neutral, patient, as if waiting for her to speak. She knew he was waiting for her to spill whatever it was that she had on her mind, but she wasn’t in the mood for talking, at least not about Heather. She tried to concentrate on her task, but found it hard, because his masculinity was so overpowering. It was hard not to want to look at him, but she knew if she took even a peek at those baby blues, she’d spill her gust in an instant.

Going back to her writing, she tried pretending he wasn’t there and she’d almost succeeded if not for the heat that rolled off him, giving off his unique musky scent that seemed to have a strange effect on her senses.

Finally giving up, Allison threw the pen inside the file she held, shutting it and looked up at him, stubbornly crossing her arms over her chest. A hint of a smile played at the corners of his mouth, but Allison didn’t want to concentrate on that particular area of his anatomy. There were other parts that were safer to look at. Like his nose for instants. It was right between his mouth and eyes - yet another dangerous place to look at.

She heard him chuckle and decided that making eye contact would be preferable, but that staring for to long wasn’t the best idea.

“So,” she started, “why exactly are you here? To keep me out of my work and get me fired or is there another purpose?”

He flashed her a smile, “Actually, I think you and I both know why I’m here?”

Allison suddenly felt her heart jump in panic. Could he be here for an answer to his question? How can I tell him whether or not I wanted to go out on a date with him, when I don’t even know?

“I’m here because you clearly have something bothering you and need an ear to listen.” He offered when she said nothing.

Allison relaxed. Of course he wouldn’t ask. He was far too decent for that. It would be bothering him, on his mind constantly and yet he would pressure her for an answer or try to sway her decision so she’d lean towards saying yes.

Not like Eric had.

Now where had that thought come from, she wondered? But she knew it was true. Eric hadn’t given up. He’d fought for her, made sure she went out with him and yet it was one of the things she loved about him. His persistence of never giving up on what he wanted.

But Jared wasn’t Eric and that was something she was grateful for. The last thing she needed was another Eric, not that it was implied in a bad way. It was just that no one would take the place Eric held in her heart and she couldn’t picture herself with someone who was similar to him. It just wouldn’t feel right.

“There’s nothing bothering me.” she lied.

“You’re a terrible liar, you know that?” he pointed out.

Allison huffed at him, “Look I appreciate your concern, but I don’t want to dump all my troubles on you every time I have something unpleasant happen. I’m a big girl and can take care of myself.”

“I know that and you’ve been doing a great job. But, Ally, don’t you think you’d feel better if you had someone to talk to, someone who you can lean on?” he asked.

She sighed, “It would, but I can’t ask you to be that person, Jared. It wouldn’t be fair.”

“Who said you were asking. I’m offering.”

Allison took his hand and gave it an appreciative squeeze, “Thank you for the offer, but I think for now, I’m good on my own.”

“Okay,” he conceded, “I’ll accept that. How about we have lunch instead?”

She was thrown off for a moment, “You mean, like a date?”

Eric chuckled at the alarm he saw in her eyes, “Relax, just as friends. When I take you out on a date, you’d know it.”

Allison swallowed as he took a step closer to her, “I would? How?” she said breathlessly.

“Well,” he said in a husky voice, “I for one wouldn’t be in my lab coat. I’d be dressed in my best attire. I’d pick up, ring your doorbell, with a bunch of roses in hand. You’d look beautiful, no matter what you wore and I’d be awestruck.” He ran his fingers tenderly over her cheek, caressing it, making Allison shiver in delight, “We’d have dinner at the best restaurant in town. Preferably a place were there’s dancing so I’d have an excuse to hold you in my arms. After dinner, we’d walk along the beach, talking, with the best part of the night to come.”

Allison looked up into Jared’s, wanting nothing more than for him to reveal what that part would be, “And… what part would that be?”

 Jared lifted his hands to her face and ran his finger over her moist lips, sending her senses in a tizzy, “I’d take you home and get to kiss you goodnight.”

His breath fanned her cheek, as he brought his lips closer to hers. Alison’s heart felt as if it would beat right out her chest as his lips inched closer still to hers. Their eyes held, his turning dark, while hers fluttered closed.

She could feel the heat of his lips and the anticipation of their feel nagged at her senses. They were close, so close she could almost taste them.

Just as she thought she would feel their wonder, his breath fanned her cheek, only for them to hover closely to her ear, “– A kiss you will only know if you said yes.”

He was teasing her, baiting her so she’d give in and she knew if he continued to stand this close she would.

And what would be so wrong about that, she heard a voice ask?

She knew what would be wrong. What if things didn’t go as planned with him and they ended up on bad terms? She’d have to quit her job that’s what. The thought frightened her, but maybe it was worth the risk. She deserved to be happy, to feel the heat of passion and love.

But was Jared the one to give it to her?

With the way she felt right now, she had a feeling he could be.

“Jared?” she whispered his name huskily.

Before he could even respond or she could say her peace, there were voices coming down the hallway. The door to the examination room they stood in was still open and it had Allison’s senses on high alert.

Her eyes flew open and she pulled out of Jared’s arms, which had snaked around her waist unbeknownst to her.

At her sudden movement, Jared awakened from the haze he’d been in and they both stepped back from each other just as Martha and an unknown man walked into the room.

“There you are.” Martha directed at Allison, “you have a-”

“Eric!” Allison exclaimed breaking off Martha’s words, “what are you doing here?”

Brow raised, Eric looked sceptically between Allison and the strange beside her, who was openly staring at him. He was a doctor from the looks of him, a colleague, but somehow Eric had a sneaking suspicion that this was the doctor who Allison seemed to have a thing for. And if the position that they were caught in was anything thing to go by, Eric knew he liked Ally too, something he didn’t quite like.

“I came to see you.” he responded, looking at Allison now.

There was an awkward silence for a moment and Martha, who sensed the tension, made her excuses that she needed to be by the front desk.

“Is there something in particular you wanted to talk about?” she asked Eric.

His eyes flickered to Jared and as if realising he was standing there only now, Allison made the introductions, “Oh, where’s my manners? Eric, this is Dr Jared Martin. Jared this is Eric Denton, Chloe’s dad.”

Jared held out his hand and Eric took it, gripping his hand firmly, “Pleasure to me you.”

“Like wise,” Came Eric’s response, “So, you own the practice?”

“Err – no that would be my dad.”

“Oh, so your Dr Martin junior?”

“Eric!” Allison snapped at him.

“What?” Eric looked all innocence, “I’m just asking an innocent question. Right doc?”

 Jared just smiled politely at him, “You can call me Jared. And yeah, my dad owns the practice, but someday, when he retires I’ll be running things.”

“Hmm… impressive.” Eric said with a hint of sarcasm.

“Is there a purpose for you coming here?” Allison asked, unable to handle the testosterone that ran in the air.

“Actually, there was.” He looked at Jared, hinting that he wanted to talk alone.

Catching the hint, Jared moved to the door, “I’ll leave you two alone.” He said, closing the door behind him.

“So, that’s the doctor I’ve been hearing Jen gush about.” Eric said quickly.

Allison groaned, “Jen should keep quiet and mind her own business. And what if it is? You’re not jealous are you?”

Of course I am, he wanted to yell, but instead replied, “Of that guy? No.”

Disappointment filled Allison. She so wanted to make him jealous, but why?

“You know office romances aren’t a good idea.” he commented.

“And why would that be?” she asked annoyed.

“It’s a distraction from your work. As you probably know from what I saw.”

A scowl formed on her face, “That is none of your business, Denton.”

He held up his hands in defence. He’d overstepped a bit. She always called him by his last name when she was pissed off at him.

“Sorry, it is none of my business and I won’t butt in. But know this, if he does anything to hurt you, I’ll make it my business.”

She couldn’t help but smile at his chivalrousness, “Thank you, but I can take care of myself.”

“I know, but I you’re the mother of my amazing daughter, I don’t want you getting hurt.” He replied in a gentle voice.

She loved the way his face lit up at the mention of Chloe and knew he must be here because of her.

“You’re here because of Chloe, aren’t you?”

“Yes and no.” she looked at him confused, “I spoke to Heather.”

Allison groaned, but this time louder, “Do we have to talk about her?”

“Yes, I want to apologise for what she said to you yesterday.”

Well that not what I was expecting.

“Thank you… I guess.” She said a bit astounded, “But why isn’t she here to deliver that apology herself?”

Did you break up with her because she’s such a… Allison found herself hoping.

“Because she’s not sorry for what she said.”

Allison’s hopes dropped. So he hadn’t broken up with her. If he knew what she’d said, why was he still with her? Maybe Eric wasn’t the guy she’d once known.

“Oh,” was all she could respond.

Eric hated that Allison was taking this Heather-not-apologising thing so hard. After all, all Heather had said to her was that she didn’t like the way she treated Eric and for not telling him about Chloe. It didn’t matter what Heather thought now, she would eventually see Allison the way he did and she too would forgive her, the way he did.

“Look, Heather will come around. She just takes a while to get used to change, that’s all.”

She gave him a reassuring smile, “Okay so I know the ‘no’ part to your answer, what’s the ‘yes’?”

“I was wondering if I can have Chloe on Saturday?” he asked.

“Of course. She’d love that.” She said enthusiastically.

“Great, I wanted to take her shopping for the supplies for her bedroom.”

Allison raised her eyebrow in shock, “You’re still making her room? What about Heather?”

“We spoke about it and she’s okay with it. Not as thrilled as I’d like, but you take what you can get.” He replied with a sigh.

Allison agreed with a nodded.

“Anyway, after I have a game I’ve got tickets for. I figured she’s like to watch it.” he shrugged.

“Oh, you’d better not tell about it to early.”

“Why?” he asked in confusion.

“She’ll be pumped up all week, excited for Saturday and I’ll need all my strength to deal with her.” she joked.

Eric laughed, “I’ll come over on Thursday and ask her if she wants to come with me.”

“Trust me, she’ll say yes.”

He laughed again at her words, “I’ll take your word for it.”

Allison walked Eric out to the reception area, where Jared stood waiting for. She’d almost forgotten about lunch.

“It was nice to meet you Jared.” Eric said.

“Like wise.”

Eric nodded and looked at Allison again, “I’ll call you. Bye Ally.”

“Bye.”

Allison turned to Jared who was watching her, inspecting her features.

“You ready?”

Jared dazzled her with his smile, “I am, let’s go.”

***

Lunch was so easy going that they’d almost played hooky for the rest of the day. It was only because of Allison good ethics that they went back to work.

They were about to enter the building, when Allison tugged on Jared’s shirt, bringing him to a standstill.

“Is something wrong? Change your mind about ditching work?” he joked.

Allison just shook her head at him, “No, I just – I have an answer for you.”

Jared became serious. He knew instantly what she was talking about. He couldn’t detect from her expression whether it would be a yes or a no, though he sincerely hoped it would be a yes.

“Yes, I’ll go out with you.”

A smile lit his features, “Are you sure?”

She hit him playfully on the arm, “Of course I am. Do you really think I’d say yes if I wasn’t?”

He considered her question, “Knowing you, no I don’t think you would have.”

She smiled, knowing she’d made the right decision, or at least she hoped.

“How’s Friday night sound to you? I’ll pick you up at seven.” He asked with so much enthusiasm, that it was contagious.

“That’s sounds great.”

Jared held the door open for her and as she slipped past him, he whispered, “You just couldn’t resist the kiss, could you?”

Allison blushed, knowing that was part of her reason for saying yes.

Jared chuckled, “Don’t worry, if you’d said no I would have ended up kissing you anyway. Maybe not right now, but eventually even I wouldn’t be able to resist.”

“Don’t get too cocky, Dr Martin. How do you know I would even let you kiss me on our first date?” she teased and flittered off to do her work, leaving a stunned Jared watching her go.

***

This can’t be happening, Allison groaned, “I’m not going to ask Eric. It would be to… weird.”

She heard Jen sigh into the phone, “No it wouldn’t. He’s Chloe’s father, he’ll be more than happy to baby-sit Chloe while you go on your date.”

She knew Eric would happily accept one-on-one time with Chloe, but she knew if she asked him to baby-sit, she’d have to tell him why she needed his help. Allison shook her head. She just didn’t want Eric to know she was going on a date. She didn’t know why, but had a feeling he would make a big fuss about it, which Allison definitely didn’t want.

“You know as well as I do that he’ll fuss about my date with Jared.”

“Oh, so that’s what this is about.” Allison could hear the humour in her voice, “You don’t want Eric knowing that you’re dating again.”

“You know how he gets and besides, wouldn’t it be weird when Jared came to pick me up and my ex was here?” she argued.

Jen chuckled, “It will be and he’ll probably grill Jared on where he’ll be taking you and to have you home by a decent hour.”

“Do you really think he’d do that?” Allison asked her friend, horrified.

Jen’s laughter filled the receiver, making Allison huff, “That’s not funny.”

“It is. You’re so gullible sometimes, Ally.” Jen recovered, becoming serious again, “Eric wouldn’t do any of that, not unless he sees something wrong with the guy. Jared’s a great guy; even Eric would have to admit that, even if he is jealous.”

“He’s not jealous.” Allison mumbled into the phone.

“And how do you know that?”

“When he came by work yesterday, he met Jared – briefly. He dropped a comment and when I asked if he was jealous, he scoffed and said he wasn’t.” she replied, a bit annoyed that he hadn’t been, though for the life of her, she couldn’t understand why.

“Really, he’s jealous.”

“No he’s not.”

“Yes he is.” Jen retorted, “Look, guys always say the opposite of what they really mean.”

“They do?” Allison asked as if this was news to her.

“Of course they do. How did Eric look when he told you he ‘wasn’t jealous’?” Allison could almost see Jen doing the air quotations.

She considered for a moment, trying to remember exactly how he looked. He’d looked handsome, as always. His presence had an unsettling effect on her, though it was in a good way. But he had looked a bit annoyed when he’d walked in on her and Jared almost kissing.

“He was neutral when he said those words, but he did look annoyed about Jared and me standing so close together.” she finally surmised.

When she’s told Jen about her date with Jared on Friday, she’d demanded to know all the fact that led up until the point of her agreeing to the date. By the end, it seemed Jen was more keyed up about the date than she was.

She’d, of course, asked Jen to baby-sit for her, but had forgotten that she, Paul and the twins were headed for a long weekend away to the lake. They were scheduled to leave the Friday morning of Allison’s date.

“You see. He was hiding his real feeling. That glimpse of annoyance you saw was his jealousy.” Jen said confidently.

“Do you really think so?”

“Yup and when he sees you leaving with Jared on Friday night, he’s going to wish he’d never left you.”

Allison laughed at her friend. You could never say life was dull with Jennifer Scott in it. It’s no wonder Paul was hopelessly in love with her.

“Maybe then,” she continued, “he’ll realise that Heather isn’t the one for him.”

The way Jen said her name was true testament to the way she too felt about the other woman.

“So you met her too?”

“Unfortunately, yes. Honestly, I don’t see what Eric’s doing with her. She’s all wrong for him.” she replied, exasperated, “He wants kids and a life, but she wants a career and trophy husband. Honestly, they’re like oil and water. Maybe he’s with her because the sex is good.”

Allison laughed her last comment off, thinking that she’d wondered that exact same thing, “Eric has changed. There was a time he’d have chosen his career over his family, but I think that part of him has changed. Maybe Heather’s in love with the guy he used to be and not the one he is now.”

“I guess. I don’t think Eric’s changed so much. I mean, he’s always been this guy is now. The part of him that wanted a flashy career was always at the surface, but now… now the I-want-a-family guy has surfaced and I think that that is the guy you and Chloe deserve.” Jen said with conviction.

“There’s only one problem with that?”

“And what might that be?”

“I’m finally dating again and it isn’t Eric.”

Jen chuckled, “No it’s not and I truly am happy that you’re giving other guys a chance. It’s by time you got back on the bandwagon. You’re uterus is getting dusty sitting on the shelf, all these years. In fact, make sure to get rid of the cobwebs downstairs before you go on your date.”

“Jennifer!” Allison exclaimed, “Does your husband know about you dirty mind?”

“Yes, and he loves me still. Now you need to find yourself a man who feels the same way about you, who can love even the crazy part.”

Eric used to be that guy, Allison thought, but shook the thoughts off.

“I’ll try.”

***

“I really appreciate this.” Allison said from the bathroom.

“Don’t worry about it.” Eric said as he lounged on Allison’s bed, “You know I love spending time with my daughter. We have lot’s of movies don’t we?”

“Yup, daddy got me ‘Little Mermaid’ and ‘Lady and the Tramp’. We’re going to have a movie night.” Chloe said enthusiastically, as she sat next to Eric.

“Well, not to late though. We’ve got shopping and a game tomorrow. So you’ll have to be in bed by eight.” Eric said firmly.

“Okay,” came Chloe’s reply and she bobbed off to her room.

“Well, you definitely raised her right. I half expected her to complain.” Eric said incredulously.

Allison chuckled, “Trust me, normally she would, but the thought of oversleeping and missing some of your day together, is enough motivation for her to agree.”

Eric laughed, shaking his head in wonder at the way his daughter saw things.

“You know, being in my room isn’t exactly appropriate. I mean you are engaged and I’m your ex.”

“We’re not doing anything.” He defended, “And besides, I want to see how you look.”

“You could do that from the living room.”

“True,” he mused, resting his hands behind his head, “But I like it here. It’s real comfortable.”

There was no reply from Allison. She didn’t know how to respond to that comment. Did he mean he liked being on her bed because the mattress was comfy or because it was her bed? Allison preferred not to dwell on that thought, especially since she was about to be going out on a date with Jared.

“So, where’s the doc taking you?” Eric asked casually.

Allison smiled, remembering her conversation with Jen, “I don’t know. He said he wanted to surprise me.”

“Hmm…”

“What do you mean hmm?”

“Nothing, just I guess I underestimated the doc’s ability to romance you outside the office” Eric joked.

“Hey, I’ll have you know Jared is nothing but professional when we’re in a working environment.” Allison scowled.

Eric chuckled to himself. He could just picture the scowl that formed on her face, stopping her from putting on her makeup, though it wouldn’t be much, just enough to highlight her beauty. Allison wasn’t one for layering it on thick, not like Heather did. But Heather still looked beautiful, just that it wasn’t as natural.

He heard a gasp and opened his eyes, “Its one thing to be in my bedroom, but to lay comfortable on my bed is another. What if Heather walked in?”

But Eric heard nothing of her qualms. Slowly, he sat up, his eyes going wide as he stared at the beauty that was Allison. She had a plum cocktail dress on that hugged her curvaceous figure. The dress was strapless. The bodice hugged tightly to her bosom, right down to her waist, only to flare out in a flowing shirt that reached just above her knees. Her hair flowed about her shoulders in ringlets, in a wave of autumn red and brown.

“What is it?” she reached self-consciously out to her face, “Is my makeup smudged? No, it’s the dress isn’t it? I knew I should have gone for the black one.”

She made a move for her cupboard, but Eric caught her hand, stopping her, “No, the dress is perfect. You’re perfect.”

“Oh,” she said breathlessly as she caught him staring again.

His gaze penetrated hers, making her glow all over. When he looked at her like that, it made her feel as if she were the most beautiful woman in the world.

“Ally,” he said breathlessly, but she stepped from him before he could hypnotise her with his voice.

“Could you clasp this chain for me? I always seem to struggle with it.” she held up the chain to him and as their fingers brushed a sensation of tingles broke out on her arm.

She abruptly turned, not wanting him to see the effect he so clearly still had on her. She lifted her hair and Eric brought the chain about her neck, clasping it at the back.

She could feel his warm breath fan her neck, making her weak and wanting to press her back against his firm chest. Her eyes fluttered closed and she bit on her lower lip, finding the strength not to give in to her desires.

Eric brushed his fingers against the back of her neck, as he righted the chain. He could see the goose bumps that formed, making the hairs on his own neck stand on end, feeling the heat that radiated off of her and flow into him. All he needed to do was move an inch closer. He could have her in is arms and his lips could find the familiar place at the nape of her neck.

It was her weak spot, one he’d discovered all on his own. Just one kiss and she’d fall into his arms, surrendering all that she was to his love.

His love? Could it be? Did he still care for her in the way he once had?

Allison turned to face him and they both could see the heat rising in their eyes. There was no denying the physical attraction was still sparking between them, but could the love still be there? After all this time, could it really?

All Eric wanted was to scoop her up into his arms and kiss her senseless, until she forgot about Jared Martin. He hated the thought that if he and Ally got serious that he’d be the one to discover all her weak spots, to be the one to kiss the nape of her neck, his place, the one he’d discovered.

He brought his hand up to her cheek and brushed his fingers lightly along them, only to curl his finger in one of her locks and tuck it behind her ear, making her shiver.

He knew he should step back. He was after all engaged to another woman and although, right now, his affections towards Heather were being questioned with Ally wreaking havoc on his emotions, he knew he wasn’t the type to cheat. Even if he still loved Ally, which he wasn’t sure whether he did or not, Heather was the woman in his life and he’d remain faithful to her alone.

But then why can’t I move even an inch from Allison?

“Wow, momma, you look beautiful.” Chloe’s voice filled the room, making both Eric and Allison jump in surprise.

Allison sent a silent thanks to her daughter, by kissing her on the cheek, for breaking the spell that had her captive only moments ago, “Thank you my angel.”

“Isn’t she beautiful, daddy?”

Eric smiled at her, “Yes, she always was and still is.”

Allison sent him an appreciative smile, but the atmosphere was still tense with the energy that surged between them.

Eric knew he needed to get out her room and fast. If Chloe left them alone, he wasn’t so sure he’d be able to control himself.

He was about to make excuses to go to the bathroom, when the doorbell rang.

“That’s Jared. I’m still not done. Where are my shoes?” she panicked.

“Don’t worry, I’ll let him in.”

“Eric,” he turned to look at her, “Please behave yourself.”

He sent her a charming grin, “I always do.”

Eric scowled himself for almost ruining the friendship he’d formed with Ally over the past three weeks. They’d finally reached a point of civility and he’d almost ruined it with his raging desire for her. Of course he didn’t love her, well not in that way at least. The tense in the room was only evidence that he and Ally were still attracted to each other. From now on, he planned to keep at least a few feet of distance between them at all times. It was just safer that way.

Eric took a deep breath and opened the door.

“Eric,” Jared greeted in surprise, “What are you doing here?”

“I’m Chloe’s baby-sitter. Come on in.” Jared glided through the door, a bouquet of roses in his hand, “Chloe’s room isn’t finished at my place, so I figured I’d stay here with her, while you wine and dine Ally.”

Jared could hear the hostility in his voice and he got it. Allison was a beautiful woman and it was obvious that he’d loved her a lot and possibly he still did, but Jared knew that Allison had given him a chance and that meant that she didn’t have feeling her ex. At least he hoped she didn’t.

“You can have a seat. Allison will be ready in a minute.”

“Thanks, but I’ll stand.”

“Suit yourself.”

“Dr Jared!” Chloe called in excitement, rushing to his waiting arms.

Jared smiled at the familiar nickname she’d given him. When she’d first met him, she’d called him Dr. Martin and he’d told her to call him Jared, saying that his father was Dr. Martin. But instead she’d called him Dr. Jared and it just stuck.

“Hey, there’s my girl. How are you doing?” Jared said, scooping her up into his arms.

“I’m good. Daddy and I are going to watch movies, while you and momma go date.” She replied in that cute voice of hers that had your heart melting with every word she spoke.

“You mean ‘on a date’ honey.” Eric corrected.

“That’s what I said.” She stated stubbornly.

Eric just chuckled.

Jared and Chloe fell into easy conversation and Eric found himself jealous at this thought. Here he was her father and yet Jared seemed to know her better than he did. He knew he had nothing to be jealous of, after all Chloe was his daughter and that would never change, but he still couldn’t help wanting to take Chloe from his arms and make sure to show him who her real father was.

“Momma looks real pretty.” Chloe exclaimed, her eyes going wide.

“I’m sure she… does.” The last word came out as a whisper as Allison entered the room.

Jared placed Chloe on her feet and walked over to her, picking up the bouquet of roses he’d brought with him.

“You look,” he shook his head, as if trying to discern if she was real, “there isn’t a word to describe. Beautiful, gorgeous, they don’t do you justice.”

Allison blushed profusely at his complement, “Thank you and for the flowers. They’re wonderful. And you don’t look to bad yourself.”

“Not as wonderful as you.”

Eric gritted his teeth. This guy was so cheesy. What did Allison even see in him?

“Are you ready to go?” he asked her.

“Yes,” she replied and then looked up at Eric, their eyes gazing at one another.

For a fleeting second, as she and Jared made their way to the door, she thought she saw a look in Eric’s eyes. It was a look that said ‘don’t go’. But it disappeared within seconds, replaced by a smug grin.

“You kids have fun now. And don’t do anything I wouldn’t.” he joked.

Allison sent him a warning glare, “That doesn’t leaving us with much, now does it.” Jared coughed beside her covering up his laugh, “Now you’re in bed by eight or you won’t be able to go out with you dad tomorrow and-” she directed at Eric, “don’t give her to much sugar.”

“I won’t, now go and have fun.” He said ushering her towards the door.

“I love you.” she blew a kiss Chloe’s way as she and Jared left the house.

She saw Eric give her a brief wave, before he shut the door behind him.

“Your ex… he’s an interesting guy.” Jared commented as he helped her into the car.

“Yeah, he is.”

***

True to his word, Jared took her to one of the fanciest and most expensive restaurant in town. It was the place celebrities were well known to come and have their meals.

He was really pulling out all the stops. When they arrived at the restaurant, he opened the car door for her and offered her his arm, ushering her inside. When they were led to their table, he pulled out her chair and then took the liberty of ordering them a bottle of wine.

“I hope this isn’t too much for you or maybe it’s too little.” He asked anxiously, after they were seated.

Allison reached across the table and gave his hand a squeeze, “No, this is definitely not too little. In fact, I didn’t expect you to bring to a place like this. How did you even get reservations?” she asked in a whisper.

Jared let out a small laugh, “The manager, he was an old patient of mine. It was before I started working for my father. You can kind of say I saved his life.” He said modestly.

“Oh come on, stopped being so modest.” Allison teased, “You’re a great doctor. I can see why he’d be grateful.”

Jared offered her of one his million dollar smiles, dazzling her with his perfectly white teeth, “Thank you. When I called to make the reservation I practically begged the guy on the phone and when he put me on with his manager…”

“He happened to be one of your ex-patients.”

“Precisely,”

They shared a laugh at the coincidence of it all, Allison joking that it was meant to be. Jared clearly took this to heart and as their evening progressed, Allison found herself relaxed and free for the first time in weeks. There was no time to think about the worries that plagued her mind, not when she had Jared joking, making her laugh or with his scintillating conversation keeping her mind occupied.

They’d enjoyed a wonderful meal together and Jared even got to twirl her around the dance floor, once or twice, to the soft, easy flowing music that added to the romantic atmosphere in the restaurant.

After dinner, still not ready to end the evening, they walked along the peer and because it was such a beautiful, warm night, they went down to the beach, letting the waves roll over their feet, as they talked about anything and everything.

Allison couldn’t have asked for a better date. Being with Jared was something she really enjoyed and as they walked along the twilight beach, her hand safely intertwined with his, she sighed in contentment at the wonder she experienced through the evening.

But even through all the bliss, Allison still couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something missing, that there should be more to the way she felt with Jared.

Like when they walked along the beach and were talking, she didn’t feel that heat, that maddening throbbing of her heart when she discovered something new and exciting about him or if there was something in particular that they both loved, she didn’t feel that exhilaration at the thought that they shared something personal.

When it was just the two of them together like that, she still had that feeling of being his friend. There wasn’t that spark that she’d hoped she’d feel when she was alone with him.

It wasn’t the same, not like it had been with Eric. On their first date, she couldn’t control the way she felt. Her emotion were all over the place and though Allison knew she no longer was that naive teenager of nineteen she’d been back then, she still hoped that if she found the right guy when she got older, that she’d be able to reclaim those feeling of a new love.

But it didn’t seem to be working this time. There was no denying that she was attracted to Jared, but it seemed that the attraction was only physical and the emotional part of it all was mostly experienced by Jared, something that really tore at her heart.

Even as she thought all this she chided herself for even comparing Jared to Eric. Of course things were different with Jared. She was more guarded with her heart this time, playing it safe. She didn’t want to get hurt, nor did she want to act like the love struck nineteen years old she’d been when she met Eric.

Maybe if she gave it time, she thought as he drove her back home later that night, she could learn to love him. Jared was a great guy. He was sweet, funny and was great with Chloe, which was an important factor to her. They got along really well and he obviously cared about her. Yes, she would give it time. Besides, there was still the kiss she’d been promised.

“I had a great night, Jared.” She said as they walked to her front door.

“Really?”

She turned and smiled at him, “Really,”

“So, do I get my kiss or were you serious about not kissing me on our first date, because right now… no, I’m lying. I’ve been dying to kiss you all evening.” He confessed, “You have no idea how hard it was to keep control when we were alone on the beach.”

Allison was shocked by this revelation, but felt a sense of power she never knew she had over him and decided to try her hand at flirting, “Oh really? Just how much did you want to?”

He brought his hand to hers, capturing it and bringing it to his lips, “When I we were holding hands and the moon light shone on your face, all I wanted to do was pull you into my arms and kiss you.”

“Why didn’t you?” Allison murmured.

He smiled absentmindedly, “Because I’m a gentleman and didn’t want to take advantage of a beautiful woman on the beach, where we were alone.”

“You’re way to much of a gentleman, Dr. Martin.” She said, letting out a slight laugh.

Jared pulled her into his arms, catching her off guard.

His headed lowered to hers, his lips hovering just above hers. Allison could taste his breath as it mingled with hers. Their gazes locked, as he breathlessly whispered, “Well, I don’t intend to be so gentlemanly now.”

The kiss was soft and slow at first, only for Allison to feel Jared pull her against him and deepen the kiss. Her legs felt weak, her breath completely sucked away as their lips melted into one from the heat that surged between them.

This was what Allison knew she’d been missing through the evening. The heat and want. She knew she could love him, could try and give this a chance. If his kiss was anything to go by, Allison knew it would only be with time that she’d fall for his charm.

Her eyes remained closed, even as Jared broke the kiss. Her breathing was laboured, her heart pumped wildly in her chest.

As she finally flitted her eyes open, she saw him smiling down at her, his blue eyes alit with want.

“So, what’s the verdict?” she asked, “Worth the wait?”

“Definitely and now I want more.”

He lowered his head to hers, but it was the loud ringing of Allison’s phone that had him stopping.

“Sorry,” she apologised, reaching for her phone, only for a scowl to form on her face.

“Hey,” Eric’s chirpy voice filled the receiver, “I’m sorry to bother you, but where do you keep your sugar? The sugar bowl is empty and I’m looking for a new packet, but I can’t seem to find it.”

“I’m standing right outside the front door.” She grumbled.

“You are?’ Eric asked in disbelief, feigning innocence.

“Yes I am,” she responded in an annoyed tone, “Somehow I had a feeling you knew that.”

“I didn’t.” he said defensively, as the front door swung open, “Oh, you are there.”

Eric’s face was a mask of innocence, as he smiled at her and Jared, his phone still held to his ear, “So where’s the sugar?”

Allison scoffed, snapped her phone shut and glared at him.

Eric, taking the hint, lowered his phone and ended the call, “Okay, I’m going to give you guys a minute.”

“No need. I’m going to head out.” He said.

“You don’t have to.”

“Actually I do. I’ve go an early day tomorrow. I had a great evening, Ally.”

Allison offered him a sweet smile, “I had a great time too.”

“I’ll call you tomorrow.” He said and leaned in to give her a kiss. And not just any kiss, but a full blown kiss, almost as heated as it had been earlier, right in front of Eric.

Eric stood there looking disbelievingly at the actions of the doc. He was doing it on purpose, just as Eric had purposely called Allison when he caught a glimpse of them kissing on the porch. Finally breaking the kiss, Jared bide Allison a goodnight and before walking off to his car, he sent Eric a challenging glare.

When he was gone, Allison shoved past him. Eric sighed, knowing he was about get an ear full and followed her inside.

“So, did you know I was outside?” she looked at him gravely, placing her hands on her hips.

When he didn’t answer, she stomped off to the kitchen. Eric followed closely behind and watched as she opened the cupboard and pulled out a packet of sugar.

“Ah, I knew I didn’t look in the right place.”

“Did you see me and Jared kissing? Is that why you called, because that gibe about you not knowing where to find the sugar was terrible.”

Eric knew he wouldn’t be able to leave this house until he told her the truth, “Yes I knew you were outside, okay. I saw you with him and I was just a tiny bit jealous. You happy now?”

“Yes,” she replied satisfactorily, “I didn’t know you still cared.”

Eric stepped closer to her, all joking leaving her face. Was he going to kiss her? Did his jealousy make him realise just what he’d given up? Thoughts of earlier, the ones she’d desperately tried to avoid at all cost came flooding back. She felt hot and cold all at once and she swore, her heart skipped a beat just having him this close. Did he have any idea about the havoc he wreaked on her?

His fingers grazed her cheek, “I’ll always care, Ally cat. I’m just looking out for the mother of my child.”

“I can hold my own.”

‘I know, but even superwoman needs a helping hand and someone to look out for her.”

And with that he brushed his lips to her cheek in the same way he had a few days ago and then walked out of the house without another word.

Allison let out the breath she didn’t even realise she was holding and relaxed against the counter she held onto for support.

She needed to get Eric Denton out of her system and fast. The question was exactly how was she going to do that?

***

Whoop, another chapter lol :) So I’m hoping you loved this chapter as much as I did. I believe we’re really starting to get somewhere now.

It’s clear we all don’t like Heather. Anyway, love you guys and thanks for all the comments I’ve received, always great to hear your thoughts :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 419 21
M'Riyah Davis never really had a title or felt entitled but she was always treated that way as a child still managing to carry herself as a good girl...
5.6K 184 5
Brandon doesn't have a care in the world. Luck has followed him and his twin brother, Connor, their whole lives-even landing them in the billionaire...
367K 14.9K 38
FREE STORY. PAID BONUS CHAPTERS. ❝I always loved you, even when I pushed you away, but now I have a new mission.......i want to win you back.❞ From a...
68.5K 1.1K 35
Alexa Mercer has the perfect life. She’s the head cheerleader, popular, has the perfect boyfriend and she gets everything she wants, but it wasn’t al...