LOVE IS IN THE HEIR (COMPLETE)

By MariaCooney

Chosen by @TheRoyalsOnE TV Show and featured by @Wattpad to celebrate the birth of Prince George and Princes... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Epilogue

Chapter 40

98.3K 2K 368
By MariaCooney

"Victoria... Victoria," I heard called waking me.

I blinked my eyes a few times as my dream faded and I stared ahead at Arthur. I blinked trying focus and expecting him to fade too. He didn't.

"Hello kiddo. You look like shit," he said.

I stared, blinked.

"Well do I get a hug?" he asked leaning in closer.

As soon as I smelt his aftershave I knew it was him. It was not a dream. I put my arms out desperate for a hug and immediately started to sob my heart out.

"Hey come on, its ok," he said hugging me, kissing my head and rubbing my back as I refused to let go. I had needed someone to tell me that for months. I had needed a hug for months. I had needed my loved ones with me but knew I couldn't. Now I didn't care I wanted to hug Arthur and not let go.

We sat like that for a few minutes as he let me cry it out and even lay on the bed with me so I could cuddle up to him.

"Spoilt!" I heard Stan say as he came around the cubicle curtain.

I smiled.

"I have to head off for a few days. I am leaving Arthur to ensure you get the right medical care. You are surrounded by best guards you could wish for. Not that they know who you are here so you will stay low until I come back. I will be back as soon as I can."

"Have you found something?" I asked keen to know.

"No I am going to talk to sources. Going to visit the scene of the crime all three. The massacre of your family, the explosion and back to the street of the second shooting. The person fantasised about it, rehearsed it and carried it out. I am going to get under his skin and shake up his life until someone gives him up."

"Don't get hurt."

He tutted and rolled his eyes as if it was the most stupid thing he had ever heard.

"You are not bullet proof Stan."

"Neither are you," he said and grinned.

"Yeah I think I've proven that twice over. Will you see Mary and Edward?" I asked desperate to give them a message.

"I'm staying at Arthur and Mary's whilst in the village but Mary is staying at her daughters as Arthur is here. I will see Edward in Monaco to report back on you. Do you have a message?" he asked knowing it would be yes.

"That I love him and I loved his letter and the chocolate."

"Anything else?"

"That I am ok."

"But you are not. He knows that," Stan said raising an eyebrow.

"Well just tell him I am getting better and not to worry."

"That would be lying too and he will worry no matter what I say. I have to report on your medical condition. How can I do that and add a caveat of 'she is getting better' when you haven't even been treated yet."

I sighed.

"Right is that it. You love him, loved his letter and the chocolate?"

"And I miss him and his kisses..."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. I am not talking smushy to the Prince for you."

Arthur and I laughed.

"Just tell him I miss him and can't wait to go home. Oh and I am never eating rice or spam again."

"Ok will do."

"And I am sending him a kiss," I said blowing it to him.

Stan gave me the 'no way' look and shook his head.

"Tell him I am cuddling Arthur and won't let go," I said giving Arthur a squeeze. "I'm determined to get better and cuddle him to pieces too."

"And I am going to make sure she does," Arthur added.

"Right I am going before you give me anymore to say," Stan said and headed off.

I lay with Arthur for most of the day as he pushed a bed next to mine and had a nap with me. It was very noisy wherever we were.

I was not allowed to eat as they were feeding me through a drip. I was allowed to drink a few mouthfuls of a cup of tea and Arthur stayed with me whilst they scanned my abdomen to check my bowel for obstructions.

"They are saying it is a twisted bowel. You can't eat as every time you eat you are sick again," Arthur said and went on to explain in greater detail what they thought was wrong.

Over the next few days I was fed through the drip to build me up. I was allowed some milkshake drinks to help with my vitamins and this morning I was allowed half a piece of toast and a full cup of tea. I even ate two mouthfuls of Arthurs porridge and would have had more but he wouldn't let me. It was heaven.

Stan arrived back sooner than I expected and said I looked better.

"Have you got anything for me?" I asked looking for another letter.

"A new book," he said passing me a hardback book.

I tried not to sulk, he laughed at my expression before walking off and Arthur followed to give him an update.

I opened the book and gasped as I realised there was a letter inside and a press cutting. It was a picture of Edward wearing his full Prince military gear. He looked so sad, close to tears but determined to do his duty. I stared at it before reading the article. "The Prince is visibly distressed at the absence of his fiancée whilst attending..." it was heartbreaking to read. To see his face and wish I could be with him.

I opened the letter.

"I'm glad to hear you are cuddling Arthur but sad to hear you are so unwell. I couldn't stay away any longer so if you call my name..."

I re-read the letter.

I looked towards the door but the curtain was in the way... always a drawn curtain.

"Edward?" I called unsure of what I was reading or saying. "Edward!" I called louder and held my breath in anticipation.

I heard footsteps... I knew that walk... ahhhhhh!

"You are the slowest reader on the planet," Edward said as he appeared at the foot of the bed.

I stared, mouth open in shock. It was only as he walked over towards me that I snapped out of it the same way I had with Arthur. Instead of flinging my arms around him, I reached out to touch his face as he leant forwards to kiss me. One kiss turned into several as I stared at his face in disbelief.

"What are you doing here?" I asked worried.

"I had to see you. This is the safest place and you are unwell," he said stroking my hair out of my face so he could see me better.

"But it is dangerous... wait are they letting you here because I am dying?" I asked as the thought struck me cold.

"What?" he seemed just as horrified as I was by the thought. "You are not dying. I came because I am allowed and I miss you. I wanted to see you. I needed to see you."

"I need to see you too," I hugged him, "Don't let go," I said as I revelled in the comfort of his arms.

"It's ok I'm here now."

"But you will be going soon. They'll take you away I just know it."

"I'm staying here with you," he said stroking my head.

"I want to go home with you," I said getting upset, the thought of him going home and not seeing him again for months was unbearable.

"I'm not going anywhere. I am staying here to cuddle you and help you get better. Shh it's ok," he said as I started to cry. I was so sick of pain, discomfort and crying but I couldn't help it. I hadn't seen him in nearly six months. It was the longest six months of my life and even though he had just arrived I was sure someone would come through the door and whisk him away from me. "Stop worrying. I am not going anywhere. We are going to lie down and cuddle up as I had a long journey and I am shattered," he said making me smile.

My tummy rumbled loudly.

"I take it you are hungry," he teased.

"Yes but I have a tube feeding me. They might let me off it because I ate a little piece of toast today," I said proud of myself.

"Sorry to interrupt," a doctor said appearing at the end of the bed. He was doing his rounds.

"Not at all. What is that latest?" Edward asked moving away to shake the doctors hand.

"I'll explain as I carry out my examination," the doctor said motioning for me to lie back down.

I lay back on the bed as the doctor raised my top and explained what the issue was. My stomach was distended. My liver Alt levels were high. My kidneys had been enflamed but reacted well to antibiotic treatment My ability to eat food was restricted by space and I would be having key hole surgery once I was 'fit'.

I was sore whenever the doctor touched my side it stung for a good minute after. He would apologise but was giving Edward a very clear and concise update on my health including the scan results and that I was 'impacted' due to 'distension' and this should appease. Realistically I needed a MRI scan but they didn't have that facility.

"If she keeps her breakfast down we can put her back onto soft food and remove the drip," he said making me cheer 'yes' and amuse them both.

As soon as the doctor left Edward kicked his shoes off and got into bed with me. The bed was just big enough and I felt so much more relaxed as I cuddled up to him. We shared a few more kisses before Edward fell asleep. He looked exhausted and smelt better than anyone I'd come across in months. I lay watching him sleep and admiring his handsome face. Remembering the first time I had seen him at the teashop and Bet had said how handsome he was. I had agreed as it would have been stupid to deny it. He was very easy on the eye. I had thought to myself that whoever landed this man as a husband was truly bless as he was not only gorgeous but kind, helpful, well mannered and personable. I had felt blessed just to have him as a friend and yet here we were lying in bed together, engaged to be married. I was blessed to be his fiancée and proud as punch to have him be my man.

I unbuttoned his shirt making him wake.

"You can forget that idea," he said moving my hand.

I laughed. "I'm not seducing you. I was looking for my ring."

He reached inside his shirt, pulled out a gold chain with the ring on it and unhooked it. He placed it back on my finger and gave me a sleepy kiss. As he fell back to sleep I lay my hand on his chest and just stared at the ring and pictured my happy ending. There would be one!

-------------

"Stan is arranging a transfer," Edward informed me a few hours later as he had woke when the doctor made his second round of checks. He then disappeared with the doctor to see what could be done to get a MRI scan. He didn't want them operating without a clear picture of what was going on inside.

"I don't want to put people at risk," I said worried about the transfer.

"Do you think for one minute Stan would move you if he thought you were a risk?"

I was confused. "Do you mean I can go home?" I asked.

"Soon. You look tired," he said coming to sit on the side of the bed and stroke my hair.

"My head is fuzzy because I am so hungry," I moaned as my tummy backed me up with a huge rumble.

"How about I get some soup and you have a few spoonfuls with me?" Edward suggested.

"I want some mash potato, fish, white sauce, peas..."

"I wish I could give you that but soup will have to do for now."

"Just a little bit of mash potato. My insides are starving!" I whined. "Can't you hear them screaming!"

"Ok I will see what the doctor says and..."

"No! I want it. I kept toast down. Please just three spoonfuls of mash," I pleaded.

"I am not going to make you sick no matter how much you beg. I will ask the doctor and if he says yes I will find you some. I will point out that you kept toast down."

"And some of Arthurs porridge. I snuck a couple of spoonfuls because I'm so hungry. Resulting to stealing spoonfuls of food like Oliver Twist."

"Artful Doger more like and that is not going to help you get better. I am going to find you something to eat but will ask the doctor first about your mash potato," he said heading off as my stomach growled like an angry kitten.

He arrived back ten minutes later with a small plate of food. Mash, fish, peas and even though it was a child size meal and there was no white sauce I was drooling.

"Slow down and chew it properly please," he said as I gulped it down. "Remember when you didn't listen to me about the pizza in my uncles car?"

I nodded and slowed down.

"Here," he said passing me a cup of tea. "Sip it, no guzzling greedy."

I giggled at his nagging.

Half an hour later I was feeling so much better and later that evening my feeding drip was removed as Edward was brought some fish pie for his dinner. He grinned and I knew he was using his Prince status to spoil me as he shared a few spoonfuls with me. I couldn't have been happier as I savoured every mouthful.

"Time to go to sleep," Edward said lying on the bed with me so I could cuddle up to his chest.

"Speak to me in French," I said half asleep.

"In French?" he sounded surprised.

"Yes, I've missed you speaking in French."

He was tired himself but whispered to me in French, kissing my head and stroking my hair. I was so content I didn't care if I snored or not. I had my prince and I was going to get better.

Two days later I was much better. Hungry all the time as they kept my meals small but I was eating them more often. We would be moving me today. Stan had disappeared and reappeared several times.

Edward was going ahead of me to make sure everything was taken care of and Arthur was staying with me to help with the transfer.

I didn't know what had happened to make this possible but I was happy and knew I wouldn't be moved without there being a real break in case to ensure everyone was safe. Nearly seven months of my life has been spent in hiding. Months before that is recovery from the bombing and before that was all the nonsense to do with Mark and the court case, which seemed so trivial now. I hadn't even asked what had happened with that.

"Time to go," Stan said appearing all kitted up.

"Home?" I asked to double check.

"Home," he said smiling.

"Are you sure? I don't want..."

"To put anyone at risk, yes I know. Come on I haven't got all day," he said as Arthur pushed me forward.

As we walked out it was pitch black. The same guys were waiting at a helicopter. I noted their faces weren't covered and for the first time mine wasn't either.

I climbed aboard and held Arthurs hand tight as we lifted off. I was wearing one of Arthurs jackets with the hood up and headphones to protect my ears from the noise. My chest was buzzing with excitement as we took off. I'm going home!

I felt sick as soon as we started to manoeuvre so sucked on a boiled sweet to try to stop myself throwing up. It worked but I started to get sharp pains across my stomach. I ignored them and leant against Arthur closing my eyes. This trip wouldn't be long. We were only going to an airfield to get a flight.

By the time we landed I was nearly running up the stairs of the plane to take me to Edward. This reminded me of the first time I went to visit him in Monaco. I was beyond excited!

"You're glowing," Stan said laughing at me as I couldn't stop smiling.

"Just don't let anything go wrong," I said holding my crossed fingers in the air.

"Do you think for one minute I would let you on this plane if I hadn't already caught the people responsible?" he asked making my jaw drop.

I looked to Arthur who gave me a smug grin.

"Why didn't anyone tell me?" I asked gobsmacked.

"Because you are unwell, were wrapped up in the Prince and I didn't want anyone overhearing until the press release was made," Stan explained as he pulled his cap over his eyes and settled down for a kip.

"Don't sleep. I want to know everything!" I moaned.

"We will show you everything later but its safe to say when the world is looking for you and I am looking for you, there is no place to hide."

"Sttttaaaaaaaannnnnnn, stop annoying me. Tell me," I whined.

"No, you will be briefed later. All you need to know is you are safe and I'm a crack shot. Now get some shut eye."

I huffed at him, making him grin. He wasn't giving in so I settled down and tried to sleep as my mind ran wild with anticipation of what happened.

I was woke as we landed and saw Edwards mother waiting on the tarmac with a car. Where was he?

"You look so pale," she said as she hugged me.

"I haven't seen a lot of daylight," I replied.

"We will get that colour back in your cheeks," she said as we got in the car.

"I'm sorry I look a mess," I replied noting how perfect she looked and smelt.

"You look alive," she said reaching over the squeeze my hand.

The car drove ahead.

"Are we going to the hospital?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied.

"Can I go home just for a minute?" I asked desperate to see it again.

"They are expecting you. Edward will be at the hospital."

"Oh ok," I said a little disappointed but happy to go if Edward was there.

As we travelled along I looked out of the window. Noting familiar buildings and signs. I was getting used to Monaco.

"We are going through the rear entrance," Stan said as we approached the hospital. My good mood was waning. Hospital again!

"Lets get it over with," Arthur said as the car stopped.

He was right. Suck it up I told myself. Get treated, get well and get answers as to what happened whilst I was dropped in the middle of the British Army.

I saw Gerard waiting by the door as the chauffer opened it. Stan climbed out. I noted him checking around him, it was habit, he wasn't on high alert. He didn't have that look in his eye.

Edwards mother got out next and Arthur helped me forward as Gerard took my hand and hurried me inside. I kept my head down as I was rushed into a room where Edward was waiting with Piers and the doctor who had carried out my surgery before.

"That was a long flight," Edward said as I hugged him.

"Too long," I said tipping my head up for a kiss.

"Alright you two," Gerard said. I noted how strong his accent was having not heard it in a while. "The doctor is keen to get his hands on her too."

Edward reluctantly let go but I still delayed things whilst I hugged Gerard and Piers before they all left and I was examined.

"There is scarring tissue underneath which is normal," the doctor said to Arthur who gave him a briefing on my treatment. "We may need to insert a camera down her throat to see what is causing the nausea but I would be reluctant to put her through any more surgery. Every time we do it, it shocks your insides and they take time to recover. I think we need to do an MRI scan and get a clearer picture."

Arthur nodded. Edward was letting Arthur lead on this and had to accept Arthurs decision to delay surgery until we had confirmed diagnosis.

"Her blood work and menstrual cycle are normal, a little anaemic but that is normal for someone with so many surgeries. Her urine is now clear of infection. The liver is a self-repairing organ and has been fighting infections but that should go back to normal in time. I will order the MRI scan to go ahead and see how things look inside."

Next was the MRI scan. Lying down, don't move. Hold your breath. Stop, hold, breathe, hold... I was going to puke or pass out.

"I feel sick," I said even though I was to remain quiet.

"Nearly done. Hold your breath."

I tried but ended up in agony.

"Just one more time."

"I can't. Please let me out."

"Victoria, hold your breath means don't breathe not hold your breath in. I know that hurts."

I moaned as I tried not to breath and the machine clunked around me.

"All done, we are letting you out now."

I threw up as soon as theypulled me out of the tunnel.GD^���,

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6K 351 25
*A perfect slow burn Regency Romance to delve into.* Growing up on the estates of Kendal Manor was idyllic, but as an adult, Charlotte Mondrook's wor...
12.8K 187 8
Dominique - A hurricane tore this sweet southern girl from her family. She moved to California to escape the memories and forget the pain. It worked...
46.4K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2Γ— on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
7.9M 327K 153
*Book 1 in the Soulmates Series* πŸŽ–Featured Reading Lists: β€’@Wattpad's Editor's Pick & Spring Cleaning β€’@TeenFiction Soul Deep β€’@WattpadRoyals Fantas...