Their Wings

By Mickyx101

Since she was a little kid Ella has been different. She spends most of her time alone, but that changes with... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Sleep
Chapter 2: Eyes
Chapter 3: Introductions
Chapter 4: Shadows
Chapter 5: Scars
Chapter 6: Sharing
Chapter 7: Almost
Chapter 8: Black
Chapter 9: Memories
Chapter 10: Legends
Chapter 11: Desicions
Chapter 12: Dreams
Chapter 13: Ahina
Chapter 14: Welcome
Chapter 15: Dressing
Chapter 17: Visitors Part 1
Chapter 17: Visitors Part 2
Chapter 18: Ambrosia
Chapter 19: Blade
Chapter 20: Revelations
Chapter 21: Confession
Chapter 22: Sacrifice
Chapter 23: Initiation
Chapter 24: Roar
Chapter 25: Conflict
Chapter 26: Never
Chapter 27: Storm
Chapter 28: Loss
Chapter 29: Revelations
Chapter 30: Goodbye
Chapter 31: Cloaked
Chapter 32: Betrayal

Chapter 16: Council

828 24 25
By Mickyx101

The first thing I noticed was the ceiling. It was so high it logically could not be contained in the palace. Painted on the stone were frescoes of different scenes of what looked to be an epic battle. I couldn't make out details, but I could make out silver wings on almost every panel. I wondered what the significance of them were because they were everywhere in the Palace. Before I could ponder my thoughts any longer a harp started plucking an unfamiliar melody.

The three of us walked forward slowly, our footsteps echoing throughout the carnevorous room. Arranged in a semi-circle close to the walls stood the Angelus. Their wings rose high above our heads while their auras painted the air in different colours. Torches blazed in metal brackets halfway up the wall. As we passed the Angelus they fell into deep bows again. Their foreheads kissed the floor as they dropped to their knees soundlessly. We watched them warily as we advanced towards the center of the chamber.

I kept my eyes on the domino-like Angelus, and didn't notice the altar rising above us. Suddenly Luke and Michelle jerked to a stop and I looked up to be met with a small set of stairs that rose to an altar holding 7 thrones. The thrones were all 8 feet tall, reaching above our heads. Each chair had a seat of plush grey velvet, that shimmered in the flickering torchlight. The chairs were ornately carved and were inlaid with glittering gemstones. We reached the first step and knelt down.

Before I could comment on our surroundings a huge burst of auric power burst forth from the thrones. My hair was blown back by the gust of wind as the entire chamber was filled with pure white power. I instinctively closed my eyes against the glare of the magic, my head bowing to protect my face. Slowly the power receded  back to the altar and I raised my head.

Standing in front of each throne was an Angelus, their auras encasing their bodies in a white haze. Halos of blue flames crowned each of the seven Angelus’ heads. Lord Aterus stood at the fourth throne, in the center. His wings contrasted with the glow of his aura. His eyes narrowed as he stared at us, on our knees in front of them. Mina stood to his right, her back straight and her eyes glowing. The Council sat down upon their thrones, moving as one entity. The harp silenced as they moved. The crowd around us stood slowly, though their heads remained bowed in respect.

Lord Aterus spoke loudly in the silence of the chamber, “We recognize the Council as one. Lady Careena.” he gestured to the woman sitting on the first throne on the left. She bowed his head in acknowledgement. She had black hair and wore square-framed glasses, her wings were light blue.

“Lady Ashlyn.” he said to the female after Lady Careena. Her hair was a soft brown and her skin was a light tan colour. Her wings were a light grey colour.

“Lady Mina.” Mina nodded with a smile.

“Lord Aterus.” he stood taller.

“Lord Damon.” Damon bowed his head. He had jet black hair and blue-grey eyes. His wings were the same mix as his eyes.

“Lord Richard.” Lord Richard was an old man with grey hair and wire-rimmed glasses. His wings were white like Mina’s.

“Lord Douglas.” he said. The last Council member bowed his head in acknowledgement of his introduction.

“Power and wisdom to the Council of the Angelus. Semai thie klogh jesen.” Lord Aterus said, his eyes sweeping over the chamber.

“Jesen hawe gas.” chanted the rest of the Angelus, including Luke and Michelle.

“Show yourselves to the High Council.” Lord Aterus said.

Luke stood and Michelle and I followed. “Luke Lockhart, half-Angelus. We have come before the Council by the request of Lady Mina, my mother.”

The crowd began murmuring immediately after Luke finished speaking. “Silence.” called Lord Aterus. “Come forward human.” he said to me.

I looked at Luke, who was glaring at Lord Aterus. He looked back at me and smiled encouragingly. I slowly walked up the stairs, wary of the eyes on me.  I stood before the Council, trying not to show how scared I was. “Speak your name child.” said Lady Ashlyn.

“Ella James.” I said, surprised at how steady my voice was compared to how I felt inside.

“And what is your age?” said Lord Damon.

“17, my birthday was a week ago.”

“Have you been in contact with Angelus before your birthday?” asked Lord Richard.

“No, I only found out about them a couple of days ago.”

“What about dreams?” My head shot up and I looked at Lord Douglas. He cocked her head, waiting for my answer.

“I have had dreams about them for a long time.” I answered hesitantly. The Council suddenly leaned forward at my answer.

“Any specific Angelus these dreams have been about?” Lord Aterus asked. I was ready to say no, but he looked into my eyes and I felt my resolve melting.

“Yes.” I said, lost in the depths of Lord Aterus’ eyes. He raised an eyebrow and I answered the unspoken question, “Luke Lockhart.”

“Luke?” Mina said disbelievingly.

I nodded mutely. I tried to look away from Lord Aterus, but I was stuck. His eyes swallowed me whole, though not in the way Luke’s did.

“Bring the cloak.” said Lady Careena suddenly. An Angelus that had been standing to the side of the altar ran off through a door in the side of the chamber.

“The cloak? Are you sure?” asked Lord Damon.

“Lady Careena is right. Bring the human the cloak.” said Lord Aterus, sitting back. Our eye contact broke and I blinked and shook my head. I looked to Mina, who had a look of mild worry in her eyes. She smiled reassuringly though, when she noticed my gaze. Soon the Angelus that had left returned, holding an ornately carved chest in his arms. The chest was made of a dark wood, and was inlaid with various jewels and veins of marble. The lid held an inlaid image of silver wings. The chest was brought up the stairs and placed before Lady Careena. She reverently opened the chest and drew out a long grey cloak. It reached to almost the floor when she held it up. On the back was a strangely familiar crest of 3 stars under a banner with white writing. Above the banner were wings, so detailed the looked almost real. The cloak seemed to shimmer when moved, turning silver where it was hit by the torchlight. Lady Careena looked up from it to me and caught her breath.

“It matches her eyes.” The Council immediately looked at me again and they all made similar sounds of wonder, looking back from the cloak to me. Only Lord Aterus seemed unmoved.

He smirked and said, “Give it to the human. Let her try it on.”

My eyes widened and I shook my head. The crowd behind me began murmuring again. The Council all looked up and met each other’s eyes. They seemed to hold a silent argument for all of 5 seconds before Lady Ashlyn relented and said, “Careena, give her the cloak.”

“Wait, you can’t. She’s still Undetermined.” said Luke from behind me.

“That shouldn’t matter.” said Lord Aterus with a smirk.

Lady Careena slowly stood up and walked to me, the cloak in her hands. She moved to stand in front of me, blocking my view of Lord Aterus. She was taller than me, but not by much. I kept my eyes on my shoes, too scared to face her. She lifted the cloak and draped it over my shoulders in one fluid moment. The cloak was long, but it stopped just before hitting the floor and seemed to fit itself over me perfectly. The moment the fabric settled around my back I suddenly felt a burst of power rush though me. I felt the magic flowing through my veins and I instinctively raised my chin and for the first time met Lady Careena’s eyes. Her blue eyes widened in shock as she stared at me.

“Its her. Keveena sulya.” she said wondrously, stepping back to let the Council see me. They all froze in shock as they looked at me. Lord Aterus’ smirk froze as he looked at me in shock. Before I could wonder why two Angelus walked forward with a mirror. I looked into the mirror and froze myself. The cloak was the exact colour of my eyes, and it brought them out from my dark hair. They glowed with a new intensity, now looking as though there were flashlights behind my eyes. But that wasn’t the only change. Decorating the side of my neck was a tattoo of silver wings. They glowed against my pale skin and reflected off my dark hair. I was so shocked I couldn’t breathe.

The two Angelus slowly let the mirror down, before bowing to the floor as they had done before. The Council shared another look before all sinking to their knees and bowing as well.

“Ella?” I heard from behind and I turned to see Luke and Michelle right behind me with twin looks of utter confusion. Their expressions then changed to shock as they looked at me.

“Ella?” Luke said quietly, almost a whisper.

“Yeah?” I said, close to hysterical. As the crowd caught sight of me they began bowing again. “What’s happening?”

“You’re back.” Michelle said, and to my utter astonishment she and Luke sank to their knees and bowed before my feet.

______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Alright, I know it’s been long since I last updated but writer’s block well and truly sucks. But at midnight inspiration struck and I kicked the writers block back where it belongs. Anyway, enough about me...

That language that the Angelus are speaking was just me dancing on my keyboard, so interpret it how you see fit.

Please drop a comment and remember the vote challenge, 4 votes to the next chapter…

Love Micky xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.6K 997 16
Laura Swan is about to graduate high school until Victoria back with an army of newborns. To keep Laura safe from Victoria and her army, The Cullen's...
5K 644 38
Natalie Peterson was a beautiful, intelligent and athletic teenager, but she hated high school for all of the right reasons. When she's bored, she s...
563K 9.7K 32
"Isaac is Infatuated by you, you can clearly see it in his eyes." Zoey Martin, Lydia Martin's sister, was pulled into the supernatural world after s...
18 3 4
In a declining, pre-apocalyptic city where vampire/human society is barely hanging on by a thread, Elise, who is just a human, gets to attend the onl...