LOVE IS IN THE HEIR (COMPLETE)

By MariaCooney

Chosen by @TheRoyalsOnE TV Show and featured by @Wattpad to celebrate the birth of Prince George and Princes... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Epilogue

Chapter 35

95.5K 1.7K 190
By MariaCooney

Recovery from the operation was just like having a really heavy period for a few days. I had aches and pains but the other incisions were barely an inch long so healed relatively quickly. I just felt like I had done too many sit ups... not that I ever did them.

A month later and I was back to normal. We'll as normal as I could get being engaged to a Prince, living in a country I didn't speak the language of and other than a little physio therapy, counselling and my scars, I was back to my pre-blown up self. Nookie and all!

Edward was off doing his prince stuff and I was left alone at home. Yes there were guards but they stayed out of the way as they had a job to do and didn't need me distracting them. I was surprised how easy it was to forget they were there. Tonight was the first full day I would have away from Edward. I had coped sleeping alone last night with just a phone call from him after he left that afternoon, maybe because I fell asleep and woke up early this morning.

I had rummaged around the house today. Moving things around to how I wanted them. I just hadn't got around to it. I planned to go to town and get a few things. Not that I really knew where town was but I would take a walk past the palace and find it.

My bankcard had arrived and I was determined to check my balance and see if I could afford some new bits for the house. It was a spur of the moment thing and I was keen to put my stamp on it by the time Edward came home.

Mary and his mother had picked up some items for me before but this was my chance to do it for myself and prove to everyone that my counselling was working. I was able to perform on a normal level without the fear of being blown up, shot or never seeing Edward again. It's time to take the bull by the horns as my dad would say. It was my next milestone.

I put on a nice dress, some flat shoes, sunglasses and a hat. I knew the way to the palace by now as we had been there for dinner several times. Amazingly it was not 'posh nosh' but normal dinner served in a small dining room like a family Sunday dinner. There wasn't a menu with a choice of starters etc it was just one main and a pudding if I ate it all up. That was it.

I walked out of the front door, smiling at my key ring as I locked it behind me.

"Are we going out?" a guard asked.

"I'm just taking a walk into town," I said. "Is that ok?" I asked wondering if I should have consulted with his first.

"Yes," he said before signalling to others.

I heading off down the driveway.

They followed but stayed back whilst looking inconspicuous.

I really enjoyed the walk, the feeling of the sun on my face and arms. I was covered in sun cream, as Edward was concerned I would burn. I had been in enough pain and discomfort lately so why add to it. My tan had built up slowly and nicely. I had white bits to show off!

I found my way to town pretty easily having travelled through it by car so often. I could already smell the fresh coffee and delicious food. I wanted to try it all but I knew the place I wanted to go. Edward had taken me before. I walked through the town and no one batted an eyelid. The sunglasses and hat worked. I found the small bistro and walked in.

"Bonjour," the owner called.

"Bonjour," I replied. "Erm... cappuccino and pain de chocolate, je vous plait," I was sure I got the pronunciation wrong but it was my first attempt.

"Just the one," he asked switching to English so I obviously had it wrong. Damn it!

"One, please," I replied and giggled nervously.

"Take a seat and I will bring it over, on the house," he replied nodding to a small table.

"Oh, thank you," I said as he must have recognised me. I was not used to being recognised. It was a bit suffocating to say the least. "Are they with you?" he asked nodding to the guards.

"Yes," I replied a little embarrassed. "I will serve ensure they don't give you away," he whispered.

That used to be me. Making coffee and serving cakes in my own shop whilst trying to ensure the guards didn't give away Edward. Oh how the worm has turned. I got a little emotional behind my glasses. There was nothing I could do about it now. Even if the shop had survived, I would have had to sell it because I would be moving here with Edward. He couldn't live in England. He would have to live here.

Now a community centre was in the final stages of being built and there would be a real doctors surgery and meals on wheels for the elderly. Getting blown up wasn't so bad if all that good came from it... not that I would go through it again!

I sat and ate my pastry. Sipping my coffee and realised I don't have a book to read. I would have to find a bookshop. I stopped to ask for directions to a bookshop on my way out and gave the owner a cheeky kiss on the cheek as a thank you. His smile said it all.

The bookshop had an English section and only at the till did I realise I hadn't been to the bank yet. I used my bankcard instead of getting cash out. I was nervous as I hadn't used it yet and I was worried it wouldn't work. It did and I walked out with three new books. Two for me, and one I knew Edward was interested in based on a documentary we watched together.

I was on a roll. I found some wonderful things in the next shop but couldn't take them with me as they were too big. I wasn't sure of the procedure for delivery so signalled for a guard to come over. I asked him. He noted what they were and said he would arrange it. He also took the bags I had and signalled over to someone who came and took them to a car over the road.

It was only when I looked at the car that I realised how tired I was. I wasn't used to all this walking and I had been out for nearly two hours already. Time flies when you are having fun shopping.

"I just have a few more things to get," I said showing him my list. "And then I am ready to go home."

"This way," he said signalling down the street to a deli.

I ordered all I needed and walked outside happy and smiling. The bottom of paper bag broke sending some items crashing to the floor. I lunged to the side quickly to catch the tub of stuffed olives I had purchased for Edward and stop them rolling down the street.

I felt myself knocked to the ground. The weight of the guard on me and the crack of the pavement against the front of my head. It didn't knock me out but my brain rattled. I could hear screaming and running. A car screeched to a halt. I was hauled up and dragged into the car between the rear and front seat with people on top of me. I didn't know what the hell was happening.

"Shots fire, shots fired," I heard yelled over a radio.

I started to scream in fear this was the same as when my parents were shot. I struggled to get up.

"Stay down!" was yelled as the car sped ahead, everything became dark a few moments later as we drove under and arch. Military commands were shouted in French as the car pulled up and the doors opened. I was hauled out of the car as several people grabbed me and rushed me off. All I could see was the uniform of Palace guards.

"Medic," was yelled as they rushed ahead and forced me to the floor in a hall where all the doors were shut behind us. "Where is she hit?"

I screamed in panic. I was shot... shot!

My phone started to ring in my pocket as my jacket was ripped off me and tossed aside. Only Edward had the number.

The door opened for a brief second as Albert ran in, "Victoria," he said running over to me.

"Help! Help me!" I sobbed. "I've been shot. I'm dying."

He grabbed my hand but didn't say a word, not even 'it will be ok' or 'you're not dying'. He was staring at my body in shock.

"We have a flesh wound on the left shoulder and a calf wound to the right leg. Compress and raise that leg!"

I screamed as they confirmed I had been shot! My phone rang again. Albert rushed over to my jacket pocket and answered it. He knew who it would be too. He started talking in French, very fast and panicked as I cried out again. They pressed down hard on my shoulder and leg.

"Tie that tight! She is going into shock. Where is that ambulance? Give me a time on it?"

"Edward is coming," Albert said rushing back over just before I passed out.

-----------------------

"Victoria!"..."Victoria!"

I opened my eyes to the brightness of hospital lights.

"You're in the hospital. You have been shot but it is not life threatening," the doctor said in an English accent. "We have to take you to surgery to clean it and give you some stitches. Do you understand?" he asked.

I nodded under an oxygen mask.

"This chap is going to put you to sleep for a little while, ok?"

I nodded. My oxygen mask was replace with a heavy rubber one held on by the man at the back of my head. "Deep breaths," he said as he put me under.

-----------------------

"Hello sweetheart," Edwards mother said as I opened my eyes.

I managed a slight moan as I tried to move.

"You are ok," she said stroking my hair. "Just a few stitches in your leg, a dressing on your shoulder and a knock to the head."

I slowly remembered what had happened and why I was here.

"We are going to take you home as soon as you are awake," she said. "Edward is coming."

I closed my eyes again. I was never very good at coming out of anaesthetic.

----------------------

"Wake up baby," Edward said. "Come on sweetheart, wake up for me please."

I could feel his hand stroking my face. His kiss on my lips.

"Wake up!" he called.

My eyelids fluttered open as I felt his head on my chest and heard him crying. His mothers voice trying to comfort him in French.

"Please wake up," he begged.

"Just give her some time, she went into shock. Her body is exhausted," a voice replied. "She has been in and out of anaesthetic so much lately that it is getting harder to wake her up. She needs to sleep it off."

-----------------------

"Urrr," I moaned trying to wake up.

"She's awake," Edward said his hand tightening on mine. He looked up at me and burst into tears again. Witnessing him crying and distressed made me cry too. He reached over held as I hugged him tight.

"I love you," he said as he kissed me all over the face. "Try to stay awake so we can take you home," he said as I looked over to see Piers and Gerard looking just as distraught.

"My eye hurts," I said trying to touch it.

"You have a black eye, it is swollen," Edward replied moving my hand down.

"You shouldn't be here. Someone is trying to kill me," I sobbed. "You're in danger being around me."

"Shh, don't you worry. We will find out who it is and deal with them," he said hugging me. He didn't deny it and who could I was definitely someones target.

"He missed, he is going to come back to finish me off."

"Shh, please. Don't!" Edward said and hugged me tight as he started to cry again.

"I don't you want you to get hurt because of me."

"I'm going to keep you safe. I promise," he said hugging me.

I looked at Gerard to gauge how safe he could be with me. His face would give it away. He nodded that they would keep me safe. He looked very official and not at all like the Gerard I knew. He was in protection mode.

"We are going to stay at the palace for a few days," Edward said.

I knew why. More guards and they couldn't risk the heir to the throne.

"He is going to get me," I said shaking my head.

"No, no he's not," Edward said hugging me.

"He is," I sobbed.

"No, he's not," Gerard said walking over to stroke my head. "I have everything in place. This guy just made a huge mistake. The world is hunting him now. The press are all over it. Social media. FBI. You name it, they are hunting him down. People filmed you on their camera phones walking and we can use that to check faces. Every passport, face passing a security camera will be checked. It's only a matter of time before he runs out of places to hide. In the meantime we are hiding you in the palace. No one is getting in there and you have your own security detail. We just brought a guy back with us who is shit hot at this stuff. He can track down a flea on a dogs arse."

"I don't want anyone to die because of me."

"I can't guarantee that because if I get my hands on this guy I will kill him because of what he has done to you," Gerard meant it too. "In the meantime you are not to leave your room without an escort is that clear."

I nodded.

An hour later I was discharged to the care of the palace under armed guard. Edwards old room was already made up and held some of our things brought over from the villa. Gerard carried me in under cover of night and introduced me to a very stern looking white guy with a bald head called Stan or as he was known to his enemies 'Satan'. I was not to move anywhere without his permission.

My shoulder was not as sore as my leg. It had a bullet burn and graze, my leg was a through and through. My eye that hurt the most it was swollen with the knock on the head and half closed.

"How is the guard who was with me when I got shot?" I asked.

"Lucky he was wearing a vest," Gerard replied.

"I don't think we can live in the villa anymore," I added.

"You will, these next few days are just precaution whilst everything is investigated."

"If a photographer can see in with his lens, a sniper can see in with his," I replied.

"That is why you have Stan. He used to be a sniper," Gerard said making me even more weary of the man.

Edward came in with a single white rose, the top of the petals sprayed with glitter.

"It is beautiful," I said giving him a kiss.

"Are you comfortable?" he asked fixing the bedclothes around me.

"Yes, I would like something to eat and drink if possible."

"I've already ordered it."

"I took some photographs of things on my phone today to show you. I think Albert has it," I said remembering that I was supposed to be cooking dinner.

"Did you video anything?" Gerard asked.

"The deli shop to show Mary the cookcoo clock."

"How many people were in the shop?"

"Just the people behind the counter. The guard checked first. I thought he had sent someone to clear it and felt guilty."

"Did you speak to them in English or French?" Gerard asked.

"English, I tried to speak French to the owner of the bistro where Edward took me before but I got it wrong so didn't try it again."

"What time were you at the bistro?"

"I don't know about 10:00 I think. I don't have a receipt to check as he refused payment as said it was on the house. He gave me direction to the bookshop. I have a receipt from there as I paid by card."

"You used your bankcard?" Edward asked. "I told you to use mine in Monaco."

"It was spur of the moment decision to go to town. I forgot I hadn't been to the bank until I got to the till at the bookshop and they put the items through so I used my card. I didn't have enough cash. I'm sorry," I said feeling like I let him down as he looked furious.

"Where is it?" he asked.

"It was in my purse. Why?"

"I want it."

"Why?"

He sighed annoyed, "I asked you not to use it."

"So you are taking it off me."

"Yes."

"I think enough shots taken at me today Edward without you starting," I snapped annoyed at being treated like a child.

"I'm sorry," he said immediately changing from angry to apologetic.

"I went to the shop to buy things for the house and dinner. I didn't realise I needed permission from you..." I stopped ranting as a sharp pain hit my head.

"Ok, I am sorry. I didn't mean to upset you," he said trying to put his arm around me.

I leant away.

"I said I'm sorry," he sighed.

"Just leave me alone!" I said as my head began to pound.

"Please don't fall out with me. I am sorry," he said putting his arm around me.

I sulked against his shoulder.

"I love you," he whispered kissing the top of my head.

My head was pounding too much to argue anymore. Stupid bloody idiot trying to boss me about!

Gerard had disappeared during our little spat but Piers arrived with a tray of food. My appetite lost, I lay down and closed my eyes.

"Don't you want something to eat?" Edward asked.

I shook my head but kept my eyes closed.

"I'm sorry," he whispered stroking my hair. "Please eat something. I will leave you in peace as I've upset you. I will be with my uncle if you need me."

The smell of the food and hearing Edward ask Piers to call him if he was needed made me hungry. I didn't need to see my counsellor to know this was misdirected anger.

"It is steak but I cut it up for you as your security wouldn't allow me to bring in a steak knife," Piers said rolling his eyes.

"Stan?" I asked remembering the bald man.

"Yes. How are you feeling?"

"I have a headache and want a bath."

"I'll get you some pain relief, do you want me to call Edward back?"

"No," I said moodily.

"He hasn't eaten all day either. His fiancée was shot when he left her alone even though he did want to. I can't even begin to tell you how distraught he was to get that phone call."

I remembered him calling my phone. He must have been called by security and was calling to check it was true.

"I'll fetch him," Piers said before I could change my mind.

Edward appeared a minute later. He looked like he had been crying as his eyes were red. My heart ached as I looked at him. I put my hand out and patted the bed. He climbed on and leant over for a kiss. It was a kiss that signalled the argument was over. Forget it. There were more important things to do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.5K 2.8K 33
When Cecilia wakes up in a wattpad fantasy novel she's dumbstruck. Knowing the future of her character she tries to be on the good side of King Jaspe...
6.6K 351 25
*A perfect slow burn Regency Romance to delve into.* Growing up on the estates of Kendal Manor was idyllic, but as an adult, Charlotte Mondrook's wor...
46.3K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
141K 7.8K 69
| 18+| Sequel to 'The Prince's Choice'| Newly crowned king and queen, William and Jade stand at the brink of war. Their union has enraged William's m...