This Love

By jowanderstruck

Life has always been about survival for Madi Daniel, a young independent woman whose life was about to change... More

This Love
Chapter One- Suit Guys and Shiny Cars
Chapter Two- Busy Offices and Sexy Backs
Chapter Three- New Uniforms and New Jobs
Chapter Four- Work Lates, Past Talks and Manic Mondays
Chapter Five- Short Dresses and Drunk Perverts
Chapter Six- Car Sleeps and Unexpected Visits
Chapter Seven- Free Car Rides and Thumb Wrestlings
Chapter Eight- Boy Bands and Lunches
Chapter Nine- Fancy Hotels and Dinner Dates
Chapter Ten- Young Millionaires and Firework Displays
Chapter Eleven- Annoying Jerks and Hot Ramens
Chapter Twelve- Snobbish Bosses and Expensive Phones
Chapter Thirteen- Broken Glasses and Meatball Spaghettis
Chapter Fourteen- Korean Noodles and Hotdogs
Chapter Fifteen- Sharings and Messages
Chapter Sixteen- Hobbies and Sisters
Chapter Seventeen- Likes and Apologies
Chapter Eighteen -Big Houses and Abundant Breakfasts
Chapter Nineteen- Deliveries and Pedestrian Lanes
Chapter Twenty- Hospitals and 'Things'
Chapter Twenty-One- Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Two- New Relationships and Meet-Up Plans
Chapter Twenty-Three- Changed Routines and Bowling Alleys
Chapter Twenty-Four- Cozy Bars and Singing Angels
Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans
Chapter Twenty-Six- Resolved Issues and Hunted Pasts
Chapter Twenty-Seven- Farewell Kisses and Guy Best Friends
Chapter Twenty-Eight- I Love You's and Amateur Singers
Chapter Twenty-Nine- Midnight Lovers and Shy Fangirls
Chapter Thirty- Grand Birthdays and Surprise Engagements
Chapter Thirty-Two- Broken Hearts and New Addresses
Chapter Thirty-Three- Awkward Friends and Gold Packages
Chapter Thirty-Four- Peaceful Cages and Hot Professors
Chapter Thirty-Five- Hair Attachments and Posh Schools
Chapter Thirty-Six- Mellow Tunes and Heartbroken Drunks
Chapter Thirty-Seven- Smooth Moves and Lost Phones
Chapter Thirty-Eight- Drinking Buddies and Coffee Dates
Chapter Thirty-Nine- Rock Climbings and Jealous Exes
Chapter Forty- Ruined Dates and Childhood Homes
Chapter Forty-One- Parent Meetings and Walkouts
Chapter Forty-Two- Odd Fairytales and Sincere Apologies
Chapter Forty -Three- Ex-Fiancees and Empty Bedrooms
Chapter Forty-Four- Fashion Shows and Secretive Best Friends
Chapter Forty-Five- Fun Runways and Terrible Cooks
Chapter Forty-Six- Father Issues and Father Sides
Chapter Forty-Seven- Boyfriends
Chapter Forty-Eight- Nightouts, Business Meetings and Surprise Dinners
Chapter Forty- Nine- Memory Lanes and Yelling Ogres
Chapter Fifty- Graduations
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-One- Rainy Nights and Estranged Fathers

7.9K 362 27
By jowanderstruck

Chapter Thirty-One- Rainy Nights and Estranged Fathers

Running.

I was pretty good at running. I ran away from a hurtful place. I ran from painful memories. And now I was running from a lie.

Running.

I kept on running. The rain came pouring down but I didn't stop. My legs wouldn't stop. Maybe if I ran in the rain, what I witnessed would just be erased from my head. I was drowning in my emotions. Everything just felt so heavy inside and out.

Michael getting engaged.

How the hell did that happen? We're supposed to be in a relationship. Me and him. We're together, aren't we? Was I hallucinating that we are?

A loud horn stopped me from my tracks. It took me a second to realize that I was in the middle of the road. A car almost hit me, again.

"Oh my god, Miss. I'm so sorry." the driver ran to me with an umbrella which protected us both from the harsh drops of rain. He wore a concerned expression on his face. "Are you alright? Do you need a ride?"

I don't know what came to me but I nodded. The man could be a killer or a rapist for all I care. I climbed in his car soaking wet. Once we were both inside, he passed me a box of tissue. I shivered as soon as I started drying myself. He noticed and wrapped a coat on me.

"Thank you." I said with my lips still shivering.

"Where should I take you?" he asked making me look outside. Well, would you look at that. I was only three blocks away from home. Who knew I could run that far? I should join a marathon or something.

"I live three blocks from here."

"Oh you're from here? Do you know this address?" he passed a small white paper for me to read.

I looked at him. He was probably in his mid-forties. He didn't look like a killer or a rapist. But then looks can be deceiving. He was in decent clothes which looked expensive in all honesty. The car smelled like fresh leather and I didn't wonder why when I saw what kind of car it was. Killers and rapists don't have Mercedes, do they? From the rear mirror, I saw teddy bears and small pillows for children. He was a father. I thought.

I looked at him once more before I concluded that he could be a good man. "I know this place."

"Really? It's a boarding house, I was told."

"It is. I live there." I gave him directions to the boarding house.

"Thanks. Maybe you can help me. I'm looking for someone. I've been trying to find her for as long as I remember."

"Who is it?" I knew almost everyone in the boarding house.

"Her name's Madeleine Daniel."

I stilled at his mention of my name. What the hell? Why was he looking for me? I've never met him before. I don't even remember seeing him ever.

"Does she know you?" I asked.

He shook his head with eyes still.focused onthe road. "No. Not yet."

"Why are you looking for her?"

"She's my daughter."

What the f-? Did he just say he's my father? You've got to be kidding me. Am I in some kind of soap opera here? First, I found out my supposedly boyfriend got engaged to another woman. Then now my "father" was suddenly beside me. Am I on TV? Where are the cameras?

"You're probably wondering why she's my daughter but she doesn't know me yet." he said with a sad smile. "I've spent my life looking for them. Then I found out, Juliet passed away years ago."

That was it. When I heard my mother's name, I knew I had to get out.

"Please stop the car." I begged as calmly as I could while shrugging off his coat on me.

"Huh? But we're almost there."

"I said stop the car."

Once he pulled over to the side, I opened the door and climbed out as quickly as I could.

"Miss! It's still raining. Did I say something wrong?" I didn't respond. I stared at him as we both got soaked under the rain. Then the way he looked at me changed. Like he has realized something while gazing at me. "You're Madeleine, aren't you? Oh my god. You're my daughter." he cried. "Madeleine, I'm your father."

"No! I don't have one!" I yelled in denial. Anger boiled into my core.

"Madeleine, please lemme explain." He tried to reach for me but I quickly stepped away.

"No! Stay. Away. From. Me." I emphasized each word with gritted teeth.

I ran again. I was good at that. I'm an escapist. I ran away the second I could.

*****

"I'm so sorry." I mumbled. "I don't know who else to call."

Rico immediately wrapped his jacket and arms around my freezing body. He guided me into his car and took me to their home. I called him the second I knew I was far from that man claiming to be my father. I didn't want to come home. That man would be there, I was sure.

The De Vera residence was quiet when we arrived. "Dad has a seminar in Cebu for three days. He wanted mom to come with him so I'm by myself now." Rico explained when I asked.

"Here." he gave me a pair of gray hoodies and sweatpants. "Freshen up while I make some soup."

"Thank you."

"You should call Kyla. She must be worried."

He was right. Kyla was panicking when she answered my call. She blabbered about a man looking for me. She was smart enough to deny our friendship. Thank god for the curfew, he had to go. Michael has also called her a few times but she didn't know my whereabouts then. I blocked Michael's number from my phone so he couldn't reach me. At least for the night.

I needed to time to think clearly. I wanted to plan of what to do now. There was no way I could just pretend that I didn't know about his engagement. Na-ah.

I begged Kyla not to tell anyone that I was staying at Rico's for the night and assured her that I'd be home by morning. She knew something was wrong but she didn't ask. We both wanted to talk about it in person. Besides, it's probably all over the news now. Soon, everyone I know will find out that my relationship with Michael was a big joke and I was just a fool.

After showering and changing into Rico's hoodies, I sat down by the kitchen table to eat with him. "Do you wanna talk about it?" he broke the silence between us. "Or should I guess?"

Before I could answer, the doorbell rang. Paranoia hit me and had me hiding behind the door. If it was Michael, I wasn't ready. I was too much of a mess right now.

I sighed in much relief when Kyla came in with worry etched on her face. She gave me one of her bear hugs.

"Why are you here? You didn't have to come."

"I know but I was too worried. I had to know what's going on with you and if you're okay. Those puffy eyes and pale lips tell me you're not. What happened?"

"What did I ever do to be played like this?" was the first thing I said.

I told my best friends exactly what happened. Rico deserved to know too because I was asking him favors. He needed to at least have an idea of what I was going through.

I failed to stop the tears from escaping my eyes. My chest tightened as I rehash my night. I was sobbing and blabbering words. They listened to me with concerned expressions. They have never seen me this messed up.

I don't even know if I can call it cheating me. What if he was cheating on that woman with me? Without my knowledge? All I know was that he played and lied to me.

Then there was my estranged father who decided to show up at the best night of my life. He just made this night the most unforgettable one in my life.

"Oh, Madi." Kyla gave me a warm embrace. "I'm sorry. You're right. You don't deserve to be played like that. I'm not sure of the right things to say but we're here for you."

I was surprised at Kyla's words. I kind of expected her badmouthing Michael but she didn't. She knew that would make me feel worse than I already do.

"She's right. We're here for you. You won't go through this alone." he placed his hand on top of mine and gave it an assuring squeeze. I felt comfort with my two best friends by my sides. I wondered how long will this comfort last.

The next morning, I was climbing down the stairs when I heard Kyla swearing.

"Sshh. Tone it down, will you? You might wake her up."

Yeah, she might. If I had any sleep at all. It's not like I didn't try. Every time I closed my eyes, all I could see was Michael with that woman. And then I'd cry. I spent all night doing that. Tears just wouldn't stop. Who knew I could I cry buckets? My chest still tightened remembering last night.

Now, hours later, my eyes were red and swelling. Dark circles had formed around my eyes and more cracks had appeared on my lips. I was feeling a bit hot but I dragged my feet off the bed. I used whatever little energy left in me.

"Sorry. It's just... I wanna murder that asshole. How could he do this to her?"

"Bachelor businessman, Michael Madrid and model socialite, Cassandra Mortel announced their engagement last night at Frederick Mortel's 55th birthday." The voice said coming from the television. "I'm pretty sure a lot of girls have their hearts broken by this news. Including me."

Yeah, right. One broken heart here.

A reporter wiped off a fake tear before he showed a clip of Cassandra kissing Michael before they locked hands.

My steps alerted my best friends and Kyla scrambled to the remote control to switch off the TV.

"Sorry, bes."

"It's fine. I saw it live remember?" I said with a laugh. See? I could find humor in this mess I was in. I can't let my emotions take over my sanity. I'm hurting and that wouldn't change overnight.

I've dealt with pain before. Not exactly the proper way but I made it. I have my friends. I will make it through. Just one step at a time. I have to stay sane.

Kyla made breakfast. While we ate, both of them were trying to stay off topics that may be related to him. They were failing miserably. Kyla had mention diamond rings she saw at the mall yesterday while Rico began talking about the love song he was writing.

"Oh god. We're sorry. This is a disaster. How are we supposed to help if feel better if we're talking about rings and love songs?" Kyla told me.

I laughed. They both joined me. Our chuckles were interrupted by the doorbell ringing.

"It must be Matt. He's back from Batangas today." Rico finished his last sip of coffee before he's on his feet to answer the door.

Kyla and I finished our food and cleared the table. She wondered why the two hasn't come in yet. While she checked them, I started rinsing the plates. That's when I heard yelling. I immediately dried my hands and headed out of the kitchen.

"Kyla is here!"

I hid as soon as I heard his voice. It wasn't Matt. It was him.

"So what if I'm here?" Kyla stood beside Rico.

"I know she's inside! I wanna see her!"

"You can't! You son of a bitch!" Rico lunged into him punched his cheek. When I saw him preparing to punch back, I stepped out of hiding.

"Stop!" I demanded.

"Angel."

I told you I was back in writing mood! Haha. Please lemme know you're liking this. VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE. ADD TO YOUR LIBRARY AND READING LIST. Thanks! Stay awesome! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 512 24
When a bet goes wrong during a party, Sonny Davis's life is turned upside down. Two years later he finds himself in a town called Coverton tutoring...
5.4K 355 24
"Nia." Her name softly fell from his lips and she soaked in his sweet breath like a pancake to syrup. Her eyes were low and she was watching his ches...
1.3M 34.3K 36
Skylar Pearl Gray is a single mom, she and her almost one year old son Nico live in New York. Two years after heartbreak she is independent and confi...
8.6K 365 20
Madeleine finally thinks she might have a chance and might actual deserve it. But she's still cautious when it comes to falling in love, but now she...