The Bleeding Heart

By AlySimmons

Five years ago, war had suffocated the citizens of Orion, leaving them scarred for a very long time. And whe... More

The Bleeding Heart
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 3

459 14 6
By AlySimmons

The Bleeding Heart

Chapter 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't a trivial matter. No, it was far from it.

Elysia paced along the corridors just outside the Throne Room, nervous and worried. In peaceful times, a queen being killed was already something serious and though this may be considered as peaceful times, Orion and Aria had just come from war five years ago. And five years was too short a time.

The female knight wasn't the only one looking troubled. The ladies-in-waiting, maidservants, guards and fellow knights waiting outside were also bothered by the current situation. As soon as the grand double doors opened, everyone outside stiffened and tensed as the men of high ranks piled out, some whispering to each other and some walking alone, thoughtful. It's been a while since there's anything of this importance to discuss, and though it had been quite a boring five years, people, whoever they are and what status they hold, preferred it that way. At least, no one gets killed.

Elysia's eyes came to contact with her father, Llionel Scott. His eyes showed fatigue and weariness with a hint of fear. In an instant, a message was conveyed from father to daughter: Everything's out of control.

Elysia swallowed hard as her father cast her one last glance before turning around the corner. She bowed and shook her head when she felt something warm holding her hand. She looked up and saw the grave expression in Keith Raleigh's face. Elysia need not say anything for she already knew that the situation was already out of hand no matter what the royals say or do.

"What are they planning?" She asked quietly, loud enough for only Keith to hear.

He didn't say a word but instead led Elysia towards the adjacent hallway. They remained quiet for a moment until Keith broke the silence. "They're planning to send someone out."

"Who?"

"The king volunteered," Keith said swiftly, a wry smile on his face.

"Is that so?" In truth, Elysia didn't know what to think. Though having the king speak with the widower would've been the best proposition, it's also the worst. King Theodore would be in Aria's hands, given he is on their land and therefore at a severe disadvantage. Heck, there might not even be a disadvantage to consider.

"I think you know as well as I do that this will just be another chase of cat and mouse."

Elysia looked up, smiling a little, "Well, they love games, don't they?"

"Unbelievable," Keith shook his head though it was quite obvious that he was amused. "Such a situation and you could joke around."

"I'm just lightening the mood," Elysia said in defense. "Humor me, why don't you?"

Keith smirked and winked at her, whispering in her ear, "You know the answer to that already, my dear Elysia."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Three, Mother!" Princess Erielle said in exasperation. "Three! He plans to bring three!"

Elizabeth Cornwall, the queen of Orion, watched, slightly amused as her daughter paced back and forth, almost trying to pull her hair off. Her highness looked sideways, her gaze landing on the quiet woman sitting on a chair, her long hair braided and placed over her shoulders.

"Dear," the queen spoke up. "It's quite entertaining to see you so vexed when in all honesty and technicality; this isn't even your problem."

"I'm glad to know that you're finding this predicament amusing, Mother," Erielle said with a hint of sarcasm. "After all, it is only your son who's being sent off to a suicide mission."

Riza sighed, "William isn't going on a suicide mission. He is merely representing our kingdom."

"Oh, isn't that the same thing?" Erielle raised an eyebrow. "Especially in this situation?"

"What made you like this all of a sudden?" Riza asked. "Last time I heard, you were at odds with your brother."

"Yes well, last time, a queen of a neighboring kingdom hadn't been murdered," Erielle said defiantly. "And besides, this isn't like our usual bicker, Mother, it's life or death."

"I know that you're concerned about your brother, Erielle," Riza told her. "But William may be ready."

"Ridiculous!" Erielle retorted. "William is nothing but a child! I am a child. What makes you think William is any different, much less more of it!"

"William...he's..."

"Face it, Mother," Erielle said when her mother couldn't form a response. "You don't like this any better than I do."

"Yes."

"Then talk to Father," the princess suggested.

"You know that your father's orders regarding this kingdom are at his discretion," Riza reasoned.

"Yes, but it is also a known fact that Father listens to your every word," Erielle pointed out. "Any debate there is, he'll always choose the side you're on."

"You make it sound as if your father's a puppet for me to control," Riza said meaningfully.

"I apologize, Mother; I mean to imply no such thing," Erielle shook her head. "I only mean to imply that Father loves you too much that he'd give anything to you."

Riza nodded once, quirking a smile, "And that's all the more reason why I should not interfere with his thinking."

"Oh, but you already have, Mother."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do tell me how you got injured, Veronica," Franchesca asked as she wrapped the bandage around Veronica's waist.

"It's quite petty, actually," Veronica winced as she felt her friend put pressure on the wound. "I fell on some bushes and was stabbed by a bough of one of the shorter trees."

"A bough?" Franchesca repeated, an incredulous look on her face. "You were injured by a bough?"

"A very sharp bough, mind you," Veronica said, a bit haughtily. "Seemed it was broken in half, the end bearing many very, may I repeat, very sharp points."

"But really, Veronica, a bough?" Franchesca was on the verge of laughing. "Pardon me, but I can't help but think of it as comical, not to mention careless, which is very unlike you."

"I know," Veronica sighed. "Rather pathetic, isn't it? Though I'm quite glad you find it humorous."

"I apologize," Franchesca finished the bandage with a firm knot. "Now back to the urgent topic at hand. What exactly happened there?"

"I've no idea, to be honest," Veronica told her. "One second, it was all happy, the atmosphere was great and the second, the queen fell dead right before our very eyes. It's quite..."

"Instantaneous? Unforeseen? Unanticipated?" Franchesca supplied.

"I was going for the word sudden," Veronica grinned. "But thank you for giving me so many words to learn."

Franchesca's lips twitched a little. "I'm curious though as to why you were the only one who was sent back to Orion. Any guesses?"

"You are well aware that I was the only woman among the peace envoys, right?" Veronica arched an eyebrow and Franchesca nodded. "I think you know the reason to that."

"Men," Franchesca shook her head in disgust. "Really, how sexist! Well, a slap on their faces should to bring them back to reality. Could you imagine the look on their faces once they found out that you're one of our best riders?"

Veronica grinned. "Yes, maybe. It's quite a sight."

"Isn't it?"

Keith and Elysia then entered the infirmary together, hands clasped.

"Veronica!" Elysia called. "They said you were in the infirmary. What happened? Are you hurt?"

Veronica just rolled her eyes, "No, don't worry, it's just a wound. Silly, I can't even fathom why they'd need to send me here. I would've been better off in my own cabin."

"And lucky I was the only one who could treat her," Franchesca continued. "Since I'm certain that she'd blush tomato red when the nurse and everyone else heard that she was injured by a bough."

Veronica shot a glare towards Franchesca who just grinned.

Keith and Elysia looked at each other, "A bough?"

"A very sharp bough, thank you very much."

"Sure, very sharp," Elysia nodded. "Quite relieved that you're alright though."

"And Franchesca, what did you mean when you said you were the only one who could treat her?" Keith turned to the strawberry blond.

"Oh, you know how the knights are, Colonel Raleigh," Franchesca gave him a knowing look. "They'll all coop up in their cabins, gossiping and trying to know what the hell's happening. But how wrong they are since the one who has all the information is right here. Sometimes, I think the knights are nothing but gossiping old ladies who don't have anything else to do."

"Do speak more highly of your comrades than that, Lieutenant Bradley," Keith answered using the same tone.

"What?" Franchesca shrugged. "It's true."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My Queen," A maidservant spoke through the door. "The Baroness is here to see you."

"I must go then," Elizabeth bid her daughter as well as Erielle's maid of honor, Anne Levington, goodbye. "Farewell, both of you."

Her highness stood up from her position at the edge of the bed and walked with grace towards the door, finally going out. Erielle sighed, exasperated while Anne sat on the chair, slightly amused with her lady's ranting, but only putting a soft smile on her face.

"What about you, Anne?" Erielle turned towards her friend. "What do you think?"

"I think," Anne started. "That Prince William is ready."

"What?" Erielle pouted. "Not you too!"

"I do apologize, my lady," Anne bowed her head. "But you asked for my opinion."

"Yes, I know," Erielle stated. "But, tell me Anne, is it just me or are all of you being incredibly irrational?"

"That, I cannot answer, my lady," Anne gave an apologetic smile. "But I do feel that your brother is being sent out because they believe in him."

"Believe in him? William?" Erielle scoffed. "That's absurd! I admit, William's been training quite hard but being practical, I say he's not ready...and probably will never be."

"Now I think that's the protective older sister in you that's speaking," Anne laughed. "I'm sure Prince William, as well your parents will be delighted, not to mention touched by that."

Erielle rolled her eyes in response. "William just thinks he's all that. I mean, we've got knights for those missions, for Heaven's sake!"

"Now you're speaking as if you think of the knights as people who can be disposed of."

"No, no, definitely not," Erielle shook her head vigorously. "I have many close friends among the knights. You know that, Anne."

"Yes, I do," Anne replied politely. "And besides, my lady, the prince will be taking three knights as protection."

"That's barely enough, you know," Erielle said.

"Well yes, on that point, I do agree with you but aren't these three knights your most trusted ones?" Anne challenged.

"Yes," Erielle agreed, her voice slow. "If ever I was placed in a situation, I will never hesitate to put my life in their hands."

"Now wouldn't you say that it goes the same for the prince?"

"I suppose..."

"And who are these knights again?" Anne asked, with the intention of giving her lady more confidence even though she knew perfectly well who these three were without the need of having others to mention their names.

"Colonel Keith Raleigh, Second Lieutenant Elysia Scott and Major Arden Levi."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading and I really hope you all liked it. And if you have any time to spare, please comment, like or vote! =)))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.9M 499K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
43.7M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
3.9M 158K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
6.5M 179K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...