This Love

By jowanderstruck

Life has always been about survival for Madi Daniel, a young independent woman whose life was about to change... More

This Love
Chapter One- Suit Guys and Shiny Cars
Chapter Two- Busy Offices and Sexy Backs
Chapter Three- New Uniforms and New Jobs
Chapter Four- Work Lates, Past Talks and Manic Mondays
Chapter Five- Short Dresses and Drunk Perverts
Chapter Six- Car Sleeps and Unexpected Visits
Chapter Seven- Free Car Rides and Thumb Wrestlings
Chapter Eight- Boy Bands and Lunches
Chapter Nine- Fancy Hotels and Dinner Dates
Chapter Ten- Young Millionaires and Firework Displays
Chapter Eleven- Annoying Jerks and Hot Ramens
Chapter Twelve- Snobbish Bosses and Expensive Phones
Chapter Thirteen- Broken Glasses and Meatball Spaghettis
Chapter Fourteen- Korean Noodles and Hotdogs
Chapter Fifteen- Sharings and Messages
Chapter Sixteen- Hobbies and Sisters
Chapter Seventeen- Likes and Apologies
Chapter Eighteen -Big Houses and Abundant Breakfasts
Chapter Nineteen- Deliveries and Pedestrian Lanes
Chapter Twenty- Hospitals and 'Things'
Chapter Twenty-One- Fresh Strawberries and Chocolate Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Two- New Relationships and Meet-Up Plans
Chapter Twenty-Three- Changed Routines and Bowling Alleys
Chapter Twenty-Four- Cozy Bars and Singing Angels
Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans
Chapter Twenty-Six- Resolved Issues and Hunted Pasts
Chapter Twenty-Seven- Farewell Kisses and Guy Best Friends
Chapter Twenty-Eight- I Love You's and Amateur Singers
Chapter Thirty- Grand Birthdays and Surprise Engagements
Chapter Thirty-One- Rainy Nights and Estranged Fathers
Chapter Thirty-Two- Broken Hearts and New Addresses
Chapter Thirty-Three- Awkward Friends and Gold Packages
Chapter Thirty-Four- Peaceful Cages and Hot Professors
Chapter Thirty-Five- Hair Attachments and Posh Schools
Chapter Thirty-Six- Mellow Tunes and Heartbroken Drunks
Chapter Thirty-Seven- Smooth Moves and Lost Phones
Chapter Thirty-Eight- Drinking Buddies and Coffee Dates
Chapter Thirty-Nine- Rock Climbings and Jealous Exes
Chapter Forty- Ruined Dates and Childhood Homes
Chapter Forty-One- Parent Meetings and Walkouts
Chapter Forty-Two- Odd Fairytales and Sincere Apologies
Chapter Forty -Three- Ex-Fiancees and Empty Bedrooms
Chapter Forty-Four- Fashion Shows and Secretive Best Friends
Chapter Forty-Five- Fun Runways and Terrible Cooks
Chapter Forty-Six- Father Issues and Father Sides
Chapter Forty-Seven- Boyfriends
Chapter Forty-Eight- Nightouts, Business Meetings and Surprise Dinners
Chapter Forty- Nine- Memory Lanes and Yelling Ogres
Chapter Fifty- Graduations
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Nine- Midnight Lovers and Shy Fangirls

9K 373 18
By jowanderstruck

Long chapter ahead. Happy reading!

Chapter Twenty-Nine- Midnight Lovers and Shy Fangirls

Where did he go? Was I imagining things? No, it can't be. He felt so real. He was here.

My eyes wandered through the crowd hoping to find him. He wasn't there. He was climbing up the stage. What is he doing? My heartbeat accelerated ten times than normal. Now he was inches away from me.

"What are you waiting f-." I didn't even get to finish the last word as Michael crushed his lips with mine. It all happened so fast. My hands fell into my sides and the last thing I was aware of was the sound of the microphone bouncing off the stage. Hunger and heat took over my body. I didn't care that we were kissing in front of more than fifty people. It was public display of affection at its finest.

I kissed him back with longing and passion. God, how I love this man. Suddenly, everything just made sense. All those walls I've built to protect myself were broken down by this insanely amazing man.

"I love you." I panted. "I'm so sorry I hang up. I should've ju-." Another kiss cut me off.

"I love you too, Madeleine Daniel. Come with me?" he held up a hand for me to take. I nodded. Kyla was standing on the side with Rico. Amusement was etched on her face while Rico wore a poker face. I waved at them goodbye. Only Kyla waved back giggling ang jumping.

"Where are we going?" I asked as Michael pulled me outside of the music bar to his car.

"It's a surprise."

The surprise turned out to be a night picnic in our park. He had it all planned out. Light snacks, crisp wine and a picnic mat. The night was perfect. Or should I say midnight? Still, bright stars filled the sky and the moon was in a perfect crescent.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as we strolled around with locked hands. "You're supposed to be back in five days."

"Don't you want me here?"

"Michael,"

"Okay, okay. Stop squinting those adorable eyes at me." His words only made me squint some more. "You're too adorable for your own good." He kissed the tip of my nose before giving me a quick smack on the lips.

"So?"

"I'm only here for the night." That was depressing. "I still have a few things to take care of and a conference to attend to. I need to be back there by tomorrow morning. I just came back because I missed you. I wanted to apologize fo-." It was my time to silence him with a kiss.

"No apologies needed." I whispered trying to take in what he just did. Flying from Tokyo for a night just to see me. "You are insane."

"Insanely in love with you."

*****

Michael brought me to his home and we spent the rest of the night on his gigantic couch. For hours, it's been playing in my head to tell Michael everything. He had the right to know. If we're going to do this, I want it right. I was ready to open up, to let him in. There was a part of me who is afraid that I might lose him if I spill my deepest secrets.

I guessed it's what love did to me. I had a new perspective in this situation. If he stayed even with my past then I'm lucky. If he chose to leave then I'd accept it. I don't want to be a baggage to a someone I love.

"Do you wanna hear a story?" I asked. We were both lying on his couch. He was lying on his back while half of my body was on top of him. He had his arms wrapped around me making me feel safe and warm.

"About what?"

"Just answer the question."

"Yes."

"Are you ready?" I felt him nod so I began. "Once upon a time, there was a little girl living with her grandfather in a small home. They had a small vegetable garden where they grow, well, vegetables. They lived a simple life. The girl was an orphan but she was happy. She loved thumb wrestling with the old man. Then one day, the old man died of a heart attack. The little girl had no one else. Nobody wanted the girl. She was passed from one relative to another. They all thought she was useless and just another stomach to feed. She was a burden. When she was ten, the sister of her mother took her in. The woman had two children so she thought she'd finally have the family who'd care for her and love her just the way her grandfather did." I said the last sentence as if it was the biggest bluff of my life.

I was wrong. My aunt was a gambler and a drunkard. Whenever she comes home with a loss and stupefied, she'd pull my hair dragging me to the living room. She had this cane that she used to beat the shit out of me. It was more than physical pain that she gives me. While hitting me, she'd yell some hurtful things to me.

"You are nothing but a burden!"

"You should have died with your mother."

I'd see Noemi and Noel peaking through their bedroom door. I'd always begged them with my eyes to help me. They didn't. They couldn't. They were as scared as I was. Their mother hit them too but mine was always the worst.

She'd say mean things about my mother. That my mother was a whore so my father left her. That I inherited being useless from her.

I never believed her. I remembered my grandfather saying that my aunt thinks his favorite was my mother. That's why Judith withdrew herself from him. Maybe that was it. She wanted to get back to my mother by hurting me.

There was a reason I didn't like to cook. She made me fear fire and burns. I secretly enrolled myself in a public high school. I was cleaning in the kitchen when she found out. She grabbed me by the hair and pushed my face into the stove. She threatened to switch on the fire and burn my face for enrolling behind her back. I stared at the fire as she slowly pushed my face down. I was crying and begging her to stop.

She did burn a part of my cheek. A neighbor came knocking so she wasn't able to burn my entire face. I never cooked anything since then.

I was also afraid of using knives. One Christmas day, she caught me dressed up and she thought I was going out to see my classmates. She got furious even before I could explain. I wasn't going to see my friends. My music teacher invited me to sing with the church choir. I wanted to go but I wasn't able to. She used the knife she was holding to cut the dress my teacher lent me. The knife cut through the dress. I still have those scars on the sides of my hips until now.

"Madi," he uttered my name as if telling me that I can to stop.

"It's okay. I have to tell you. Even if you might not want me after this."

I thought to myself I just had enough. I pushed her. "I pushed her too hard. She lost her balance and the next thing I knew, she was falling from the window."

I felt guilty that I didn't feel any guilt that I pushed her to her death.

"Madi, it was self-defense. You didn't kill her."

"I know that but seeing Noemi again just brought back all the pain her mother put me through. It brought back that memory that I killed someone. So it's okay if you'd wanna leave me. I-."

"Hey," he cut me off pulling me closer to him. "Why are you saying that?"

"I'd understand if you want to be with someone else." The words felt like swords piercing through my heart. I was becoming a walking contradiction. Saying I love you one minute then telling him to leave me the next.

"I'm sorry that all those terrible things happened to you. If only I could take away all the pain and the bad memories. You are not a burden and useless, never to me. Please don't ever think that I'd leave you because you were brave enough to stand up for yourself. What you told me made me admire you even more. Made me love you more. I love that despite your abusive past, you're strong. I love that you chose to be tough and made your life better. Thank you for telling me. For trusting me. I love you."

"I love you too." I muttered with shaky voice before he sweetly kissed me. He embraced me in his arms. For how long, I had no idea.

"That was one hell of a story, Miss Daniel."

*****

I was changing into my Harlow uniform when Jackie, a co-waitress from the club approached me about a part-time job. She was supposed to do it with Fei, another waitress but Fei backed-out. Now, she was hoping I could do it with her. After giving me the details of the job, I thought it was a pretty good pay so I took it. Some extra savings would really be helpful. Plus, she looked desperate. She must need that job too.

I've been in a great mood ever since I saw Michael two nights ago. I remembered how we both fell asleep on his couch after I told him everything. I've never felt so light. Like everything I've been carrying on my shoulders have been lifted up.

Opening up to Michael made me feel free. I opened my heart. I let him in. I wanted him to know everything about me because I was in love with him. I don't want to be hunted with my past anymore. I just wanted to be in love. Love does things to me. Things I never thought I'd be. Happy.

I've been trying to contact Rico since that night but I haven't heard from him. Kyla told me to just let him be for some time. "He's mending a broken heart." she said.

I had no idea what she was talking about. Rico never mentioned that he was dating anyone. How the hell did he have a broken heart?

Since I was worried, I decided to drop by Deandra before I went home. I wasn't scheduled to sing with him tonight because of my late shift at the club. He was on the stage when I arrived. He looked my way but I wasn't sure if he saw me. I eyed an empty table at the back. As I was heading to that direction, I collided with a tall frame.

"Oh my god. I'm sorry." a familiar voice said.

"Michaela."

"Madi!" she exclaimed as if she was very surprised to see me.

I pulled her to the empty table before others take it.

"I'm sorry." I leaned to her as we both settled on our seats.

"It was my fault. I wasn't looking. Are you alone?"

"Kind of. I'm just dropping by. You?"

"Yeah." she answered hesitantly. I've only met her once but I noticed something different about her. I was looking for her overwhelming confidence and bluntness.

"Is there something wrong?"

"No." she shook her head. I squinted at her. "Fine. Philippine Fashion Week is in three months. I want a live band for my show. I've been a huge fan of this band. Someone told me they play here a lot. They're from our school and my IT department. I just fell in love with their sound and became a total fangirl. I'm just nervous because their leader is not exactly the friendliest guy on earth. But I still want them in my show."

"Are you talking about State of Mind?"

"You know them? Of course you do. MIU." she said facepalming herself.

"Do you need help?"

"Oh my god. Yes. Thank you."

Michaela wasn't kidding when she said she fell in love with SoM's sound. She was in a daydreaming state as she listened to Rico's voice. There was something about the way she looked at him. I just can't point what.

After Rico's song, we followed him into the dressing room. Michaela was obviously anxious about the whole thing.
"Knock, knock." I said opening the door.

"Madi." Rico's familiarity with me surprised Michaela.

"You know him?" she whispered.

"We're best friends." I answered whispering back.

"Oh."

"What are doing here? You're supposed to be at the club."

"Just checking on you. Something wrong with your phone?" he shrugged. "Anyway, I'd like you to meet someone. Michaela, this is Rico. Rico, Michaela."

"I know you."

"You do?" Michaela and I asked in unison.

"Yeah. You're that girl who spilled her fancy coffee all over me last week." Rico scowled at her.

Michaela's jaw dropped. I guessed she didn't expect Rico to remember whatever happened last week.

"Well, she's here to apologize and offer you a gig." I spoke to break the awkward silence and the tension.

"Apology accepted. Not interested." he said coldly. Wow. I've never seen him like this.

"Hey! Don't be like that. Hear her out." I demanded and he gave me an annoyed look. What's wrong with this guy? I knew he wasn't friendly but the only time I see him this annoyed is when he sees Michael. Because of that I decided to skip telling him that Michaela is Michael's sister.

My eyes flew to the wall clock and it was telling me that I must leave Deandra if I want to be on time with my shift.

"Michaela, I'm sorry I have to go but Rico here is ready to listen to your awesome offer."

They both tried to stop me but I rushed out of the door before they could say a word. There was some tension between the two. I just don't know if it was good or bad.

Hey there! How you guys doin? Did you like Madi's story? Who predicted it was like that?

I'm starting to tie up loose ends in this story. And that means... I think you know what that means.

Soooo. Rico and Michaela... Like or dislike?

Vote. Comment. Share. Add to your library. Follow. Pleeeeeease.

Do any of these and I'm grateful. :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 34.3K 36
Skylar Pearl Gray is a single mom, she and her almost one year old son Nico live in New York. Two years after heartbreak she is independent and confi...
1.6K 232 52
After being sheltered for most of her life, Cora Weber is no longer welcome in her parents home. Determined, Naïve and complete lost. Cora finds a ne...
2K 512 24
When a bet goes wrong during a party, Sonny Davis's life is turned upside down. Two years later he finds himself in a town called Coverton tutoring...