The Pet Shop (bxbxb)

By TheoryKierei

(This has been rewritten, so old comments might not make sense.) Welcome to Flora's Pet Shop! Through these... More

2. Crawl
3. Walk
4. Fly
5. Cry
6. Settle
7. Think
8. Hurt
9. Snarl
10. Sigh
11. Work
12. Sense
13. Stare
14. Devour
15. Dodge
16. Wonder
17. Huff
18. Like
19. Begin
20. Hassle
21. Relax
22. Antagonize
23. Annoy
24. R
25. Decide
26. Look
27. Try
28. Care
29+30
31. Fin.

1. Hop

195K 5.2K 4.9K
By TheoryKierei

(This story is being rewritten, though the first chapter or two are very similar. It is bxbxb)

Welcome to Flora's Pet Shop!

Through our doors you will find the most adorable bunny rabbits!

The most incredibly gorgeous birds.

And don't forget the reptiles! Any pet you'd want, we've got it!

Just come on down and pick out your new best friend today!

You've got to be kidding me. Warden thought as he read the paper his little sister shoved in his face during their ritualistic Saturday morning breakfast. It was the only day he was consistently off work, so he'd made a deal with her that he'd at least take her to breakfast each morning. After that, however, was always up in the air. He was on call, but at that moment he felt like calling a certain someone. If he had to be dragged to the new giant pet shop that opened up downtown, then his friend would be going, too.

With a slight grin he told his sister to finish up her meal and dialed his phone. Drake picked up on the first ring, telling Warden that he was either bored out of his mind, or trying to dodge a woman he'd slept with last night. When a muffled female shout came through the phone, Warden figured that it was the latter.

"I've got an out for you. Lay wants to go to the new pet store that just opened up. Care to join us?"

Drake didn't even wait a second after Warden had finished speaking to chime in an ecstatic "Yes!"

Shaking his head, Warden chuckled into the phone. Drake already knew what he was thinking though, and quickly spoke before he could chastise him. "Don't even, War. You know the only reason you don't get laid nearly as much as I do is because you spend so much of your time at that house with your little sister. If you would just use your apartment penthouse I know you'd wake up with a woman every morning, just like me."

Warden rolled his eyes, but he couldn't argue. He barely got any with how busy he was, and considering he'd spent the last week sleeping at the mansion his sister lived in with their four maids and butlers, he was stretched pretty thin.

"Yeah yeah. You wanna drive or me?" Warden asked.

"You. I just need to tell this woman that I don't do commitment for the fifteenth time, shove her out the door, and then hop in the shower. I should be ready by the time you pull up."

"Roger, we'll head over in a few minutes."

Drake acknowledged and quickly hung up, likely to deal with the woman who wanted a ring on her finger after a one night stand that he'd likely not remember tomorrow.

Yup. Definitely Drake.

They'd known each other since high school, and to say that they had literally slept through the entire junior, senior, and even a bit of the sophomore class's females would not have been an understatement. Most of the time they'd shared the girl between themselves, but after graduating and taking spots in his father's company, Warden as Vice CEO and Drake as a high level manager, they had both been too busy to return to their former ways.

"War? Let's go! Let's go! I wanna get a bunny!"

Uh oh. Another one?

She'd had several over the years but for some reason they never quite lasted. He knew that the first one was poisoned after Layla had fed it chocolate and peanut butter. A lot of chocolate and peanut butter. The second, well, that one bit her. So it was returned immediately. She kind of brought it upon herself by tugging its ears, but either way, he couldn't have an animal biting his little sister. The last two passed when he had been spending some time away at his penthouse, so he wasn't really sure what had happened to them, though he had a feeling that she might have let them go outside by mistake thinking that they would just come back. There would have been a lot more tears if they had actually died like the first one.

"Alright, let's go." Warden said as he slid from the diner booth and took his sister's little hand. She was only seven. The perfect age to want everything as soon as she sees it, then to want something else the next second after she got it. Shaking his head, he got her buckled into her seat before sliding into his side and getting them headed toward Drake's place.

I really don't want to get her another...

Pets weren't his thing, but he didn't like the fact that his sister tended to get them killed or make them go missing. He'd tried to get her one of those electronic dogs that barked and flipped and even pooped after you fed it some weird plastic play-dough stuff, but she'd lost interest after only a few days. 

Drake was waiting outside when they pulled up and swiftly slid into the front seat, gave Lay a grin and a wink, then turned and buckled his seatbelt.

"We goin' to get a new bunny for the rabbit in the back?" He said cheerfully, smiling back at Lay again as she giggled in the back seat. Warden nodded, driving the short two blocks to the new store. Getting there was easy, but finding a parking spot took an extra five minutes. By the time they finally stepped into the large pet shop Lay was literally bouncing. The second she spotted the sign for bunnies in the far back? Yup, gone.

"Don't run!" Warden yelled after her, making his little sister slam on the brakes, only to speed-walk until she disappeared around a corner to start running again. He began walking in her direction, looking around briefly as Drake's arm came around his shoulders and tugged him into a slight hug.

"So glad my mom stopped with me. And only me."

Warden rolled his eyes, nudging Drake in the ribs with an elbow. "You love my sister."

"Too young." Drake muttered, almost sounding heartbroken. Warden gave him a glare, making the guy remove his arm and raise his hands in surrender. 

"She will always be too young for you." Warden growled. Of course, he knew Drake was just joking. He trusted him with Layla's life. He was the only person besides their house staff that he'd leave his sister with. The man might be a whore when it came to how many women he slept with, but he was extremely protective when it came to his sister, and him.

"I hear ya loud and clear, War. Come on, let's go see what trouble your little angel has gotten into now."

She is my angel. Literally and figuratively.

Both Warden and Lay were angels, while Drake was a lycan. They had never been at odds, though, like most humans would have figured. Both of their kind weren't exactly known to be friendly, either, but they didn't care. Angels were tricksters while lycan were just plain aggressive. It didn't take much to set Drake off, and Warden prided himself on being able to get under the man's skin. If he weren't so sexually active it might have been another story, though. He put a lot of energy into getting laid each night. 

Over the past several years Drake had learned how to control his temper better than in high school, too. He'd been the best fighting partner then, but now that they both had important jobs and appearances to upkeep, they had to tone down their raucousness. They also tended to keep what they were out of their daily lives, like most supernatural beings. It wasn't worth the annoying publicity.

"War! Look at this one!"

Hearing his sister's shout, he walked over to a large ring of small wire fencing that was about two feet tall. Just high enough to keep the rabbits in, but allow him and Drake to easily step over. An associate with a black cap was sitting down next to several rabbits while Lay carried a rather large brown and white one with floppy ears towards them.

"He's really cute. What's his name?" Warden said as he got himself seated and turned his attention to the associate with a small smile. The employee kept their head down but quickly answered. "His name is Thumper. He's a great boy. Already fixed and litter box trained."

I can't tell if they sound like a boy or girl.

Tilting his head slightly, he tried to get a better look at their face but they quickly ducked their head further, and even pulled one of the bunnies from their lap up against their face in an awkward hug.

Shy. Very shy.

"How is he with kids?" Drake asked, obviously noting that Warden was trying to get a look at the person and make them look up. The person didn't. Not even when they replied, "He's great with kids. I worked with him a lot when we got him from animal control. He doesn't bite even when his ears are pulled."

Animal control? They didn't get it from a breeder?

"Which are the ones from breeders? I'd prefer one without any possible problems."

Suddenly the person jerked his head up. He wasn't glaring, but Warden could tell that he was angry by the look in his... Wow. Those eyes. He looked sideways at Drake, who stared back at him, seemingly just as dumbstruck. When they looked back at the young man, his head was ducked again, the rabbit back in place to hide his face even more. To hide his faded, soft grayish-blue eyes. Gorgeous eyes. The irises were so pale, almost blending into the white that surrounded them.

I want to see them again.

Warden knew that Drake was likely thinking the same thing but they couldn't just walk over and start harassing the guy. Eh, I'll just get over it. It was just an odd eye color, and it wasn't like him or Drake were into guys, anyways. So, he pushed aside the thought to look again and quickly returned his attention to what the young man was now saying.

"There is nothing wrong with a pet that has gone through a shelter. His history is that someone bought him for their child as a pet and she decided she didn't want to take care of it, and neither did they. So, they dumped him at a shelter. He's a very sweet rabbit and in good health."

Warden was about to ask if any of the other rabbits where from breeders, again, more out of curiosity now, when the young man answered his unasked question. "We do not stock rabbits from breeders. We believe that it is only fair to give these ones a second chance. If we manage to adopt them all out, then we may consider associating with a reputable breeder."

Nodding, Warden eyed his sister, who was already snuggling with the poor bunny. For once though, the rabbit didn't seem to mind. Well, it might not be a pedigree rabbit, but it is really gentle and if it is in fact litter box trained... "Alright, we'll take him."

The boy's head whipped up again, this time his eyes were wide and a smile lit his face. Hm. Cute. Getting up, Warden waited for the young man to stand before offering his hand. They shook, though the man seemed a bit hesitant.

"I'm very glad. He will be perfect for her, I promise."

Warden grinned and nodded as Drake stepped up next to him and stole the man's hand right out of his for a second shake. "Good. She loves bunnies."

The young man's lips pursed nervously as he felt Drake squeeze his hand. The moment it was released Warden could tell that he was fighting to keep from putting it in the pocket of his light blue sweatshirt or behind his back.

"Um, here. For adopting you guys get some extra stuff." He said, turning and stepping out of the ring keeping the rabbits inside. He walked over to a nearby wall where a bunch of stuff was neatly stacked. With a bit of effort, he picked up the large box sitting on top of the others and walked over to offer it to Drake, since he had stepped forward.

"There is a big bag of rabbit food in there, as well as some treats, a water bottle, a litter box, litter, and several chew toys."

Warden and Drake's brows rose in surprise, bringing another small smile out of the young man. "Don't worry, his adoption fee is only twenty dollars. All of these things are donated so that new owners don't have to worry about getting stuff right away if you already have somewhere to keep him."

"That's awesome. We already have a big cage," Drake said, grinning from ear to ear. The young man nodded and then nervously looked toward the front of the store. "If you don't need anything else, I can get your rabbit boxed-up, then Flora will be glad to get you guys checked out."

Warden bit his lip as Drake replied, knowing that it was coming. "Check us out, hm?"

The employee's cheeks reddened under his cap as he turned and grabbed a large foldable box. "I-I'll just get him ready to go home..."

Drake snickered and leaned over to whisper in Warden's ear while the young man was turned around, building the small take-home box for the rabbit. "Is it just me or is he cute?"

"Down boy," Warden whispered right back, knowing that they couldn't mess with the poor guy in the middle of the store. Or at all, really. His face was ridiculously red and Warden was worried that he might pass out if they tried anything.

"Here we go," the young man said, returning to stand beside them, though his attention was on Warden's sister. Understanding, Warden called Lay over and gently helped her fit the rabbit into the carrier. The employee hurried to shut it, making sure that the rabbit didn't manage to slip out. Lay carefully lifted the big box in her arms once it was closed and started for the register up front. Drake hurried after her, leaving Warden a chance to talk to the young man one more time.

"Thanks again, um...?"

The man seemed a little confused at first, but then quickly fumbled out his name. "Cerat."

What an odd name. Immediately the word carrot came to mind, but he knew better than to say it out loud. No doubt the guy had heard it plenty of times already. At least it sounded like Serat instead of carrot.

"Nice to meet you, Cerat. I'm Warden. Thank you for your help, it's appreciated. We'll take good care of Thumper."

The guy's lips turned up again and he actually tilted his head back just enough for Warden to glance a few strands of hair that had slipped free of his cap. Silver and white. Damn. It was a good thing that Drake went with Lay. He wouldn't have been able to hide his shock. Warden was even having trouble, but he was used to schooling his expression and dipped into that experience as he nodded and turned away, heading to the front to pay. When he got there Drake was just taking out his wallet. Guess he didn't need to pay then.

"Thanks, Dray." He said as he picked up the large box of extra stuff they'd received. To the cashier and he would assume, owner, considering what Cerat had told them, he said,  "Your employee, Cerat, was a great help."

The woman, who looked to be in her early thirties, lit up. "I'm so glad! He is an absolute animal lover! Can never leave them alone if they were in trouble. He's the reason we do rabbit adoptions instead of get them from breeders and he makes sure every single one is well trained to be handled and friendly."

Warden nodded, glad that the rabbit was at least trained well. "He's also adorable. How much is he?" Drake asked with a chuckle, making the woman blush. "I'm afraid we can't resell. He's one of a kind and I'm a greedy lady when it comes to him. He's quiet but an absolute sweetheart. You can see it when he's working with the rabbits, or really any animal we have."

"Hm, so he's good with all animals?" Drake drawled, making Warden glance at him warily. He knew that voice. That sickeningly sweet sound. When the woman smiled and nodded, Drake looked over at him and winked, then followed Lay out to the car. Warden knew what he was planning, and in all honestly, he wasn't going to bother trying to talk him out of it. They hadn't had any fun together in awhile... maybe sniffing around Cerat a little might sate their curiosity.

Or just make it that much worse.

Shaking his head, Warden followed them outside, knowing that they'd be back soon. Or at least, he'd be back soon. With his pet dog.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 115 15
This is a story about an alien. His name is Mirnen. He gets taken from his home and forced to spend time with humans. Mirnen meets other aliens of hi...
1.1M 52.9K 92
This story is complete ✅ 'I look at the back of the boy, sitting in front of me and his shining tousled hair. Before I can even realize what I'm doin...
13.9K 685 32
✔Completed ✔ ❤️Paranormal romance ❤️ Please read, vote and comment *Description Inside* Cover by ME! lol
16.9K 1.5K 36
When a cupid is tasked with setting up the woman he has feelings for, he decides instead to sabotage her matches while he uncovers why the Fates are...