8. Hurt

Dropping down onto the roof, Warden stretched out his wings and heaved a frustrated sigh. He wasn't used to the kind of stress he was currently dealing with. Cerat had not been planned, and he sure as hell hadn't been expected to not act like a vampire. At least a little bit. Reaching back, he plucked a feather from his plumage and ran it through his warm fingers. His eyes focused on the city lights before him as he felt the sharp feather slit his skin.

After walking in on Drake holding Cerat the other night after he'd made dinner, Warden had told him to watch him for the next day and that all of his work would be taken care. It was basically a day off, and Drake agreed without argument. Warden had needed the chance to breathe and regroup himself, yet even after an entire day of work, then a visit to play with his sister, which was usually relaxing to a point, he still felt exactly the same.

I thought I was doing something great. Saving someone who couldn't save themselves. 

He sighed, running his free hand through his light hair, streaking it with blood.

What more can I do? I can't feed him the spinach, I signed that I wouldn't without blood.  

Thankfully Drake hadn't signed the release form, thus, he couldn't get in trouble for feeding Cerat whatever he wanted. That didn't help Warden's worry, though. The vampire was still dying. Just a little slower than he had been when he'd stopped eating completely. It was only a matter of time.

I need to figure out a way to get him to drink blood, but not go insane from it.

It was an easy thing to think about, but much harder to actually manage. He would have thought that if he fed on a supernatural being, it might not have the same affect, but that had not been the case. Cerat had gone crazy from just a quick drink from him.

Wait. Wait a damn minute.

Excited, Warden unfurled his wings and released the feather he had plucked to the wind. With a small leap he took off, easily gliding down to the sidewalk below on the gentle evening currents. The moment his feet touched the ground he folded his wings against his back and allowed them to sink back into his skin. He then ran to the side door and inside the pet shop. As he headed up the stairs, Warden went through his plan repeatedly in his head. It was foolproof, but if he asked Drake, he'd call him a fool for even suggesting it, he'd bet.

Who cares. If it works, then Cerat can start getting better! 

The moment he was up the stairs, Warden stepped forward and unlocked the door to the little apartment. The smell of cooking meat met his nose when he walked inside, telling him that Drake was likely in the kitchen. Good. Heading straight for where Cerat was, Warden knelt down in front of him and smiled when he saw him glance nervously up at him with Thumper in his lap.

"I've got an idea to help you, Cerat." He said, unable to keep his smile from growing wider.

A scoff sounded behind him, drawing Warden's grin into a frown as Drake began to talk from the entryway to the kitchen. "He doesn't need anymore of your help. It's already screwed him over royally. If you haven't noticed."

Turning his attention back to Cerat, Warden's excitement dwindled as he saw the young vampire huddle into the blankets more.

"Wait. I have a new idea that might help. I'm serious. At least hear me out, Cerat." Warden begged.

Surprisingly, Cerat was still watching him. Of course, he didn't look too thrilled, but at least he had his attention. Not wanting to waste that gift, Warden settled down against the wall next to him and hurried to begin explaining his idea.