28. Care

(Quick bit from Cerat... and I just adopted another dog, cause I'm crazy. She's heartworm positive, but I couldn't leave her there. This was her last day if no interest x.x)

The last couple of days were more uplifting than Cerat had hoped. He'd been doing very well with his new diet of strictly blood. Flora had sent him a couple pictures of Drake and Warden she'd taken on her phone after meeting them away from the store earlier in the week. She'd also given them a new photo of him, his hair partially back to its original sandy brown color and his eyes just barely starting to recover their blue hue. But the biggest thing that drew a smile onto his face as he set his key on the counter and grabbed a fresh bag of blood from the fridge were the new nightly messages he got from Drake. 

He'd never really seen many nice things come from the werewolf because of his attitude and aggression, especially towards him and Warden, but the guy seemed to have mellowed out quite a bit over the past few months, as if he finally realized that things weren't going to go to hell if he wasn't an asshole. 

The now-familiar itch at the back of his mind told Cerat that Drake was considering contacting him. You've been bugging me more now than you used to when we were actually living together, dog. He thought with a grin as he let his emotions flow toward their connection. 

Hey punk. Did you miss your fluffy daddy? 

Cerat nearly spat out his blood at Drake's comment, needing to smack his chest a few times to not cough it back up. 

I felt that, you little bastard. Drake grumbled in his mind, making Cerat roll his eyes before taking a few more sips from his blood pouch, trying to clear the tickle in his throat from having nearly thrown up. 

Not my fault you grossed me out to the point of nearly puking. Cerat grumbled, getting a wave of frustration back from Drake. It was quite funny. The guy thought that he could only hear what he thought to him intentionally, but the emotions worked both ways. 

Grinning, he dropped down onto the old sofa and leaned his head back against the cushion. He kind of missed verbally sparring with the frustrating werewolf. I miss Warden a lot, too. He might have topped him, but he'd also enjoyed when the man took him in the shower, too. I just want to cuddle with him. He thought as a wave of loneliness slipped away from him. 

Hey leech, it'll be okay. I'll bang you first thing when we can be together again. Drake said, clearly trying to cheer him up considering the emotions Cerat felt him transfer to him with his words. 

Cerat pursed his lips and sniffed, suddenly noticing that a tear was making its way down his left cheek. He quickly swiped it away and shook his head, unsure of why he was even crying. He was okay. His job was going great and he had more than enough blood to never even think about trying to take it by force again. He could control himself and he didn't have anyone around trying to kill him. 

Hey, we're here, Cerat. Even the chicken, but he can't talk to you through my god damn ears, though he keeps trying. 

Cerat set his drink aside as he coughed out a tired laugh, then sniffed again. 

Aw, we love you, too, you frigid bloodsucker. Drake said, responding to the longing he accidentally sent to him. 

Cerat sighed and flopped over, his head dropping onto the faded armrest. He stretched out, his toes digging into a small hole at the other end of the sofa he'd seen Drake picking at before. 

I miss you guys. I never thought that I'd actually want to try living again after what had happened to me, but every time I climb into bed alone, I just remember you two being there. 

I remember you letting me have spinach because you didn't give a damn about the contract, but I think you actually wanted to help me, just a little, at least. 

He could sense Drake trying to piece together the emotions he was letting drift to him, the guy's confusion was pretty entertaining. Giggling to himself, Cerat thought about one of the children he'd seen come into the store the other day. The girl was so excited about getting a reptile, but her mother couldn't understand why she didn't want a fluffy hamster or bunny rabbit. 

She had begged and pleaded for that lizard, and when he'd come over to offer them assistance, the little girl had gone on and on about how to care for different lizards and what they ate. He had actually been pretty impressed, so he let her hold one, even though he knew that her mother was likely not going to cave and actually buy it for her. 

The girl was ecstatic and she handled the lizard almost like a professional... until it pooped all the way down her arm. He'd heard a lot of children yell in the store before for a number of illogical reasons, but when that iguana had relieved itself on her... 

What the hell are you thinking about? Drake asked, even more confused now, which just made Cerat smile. 

He waited a few moments for Drake's frustration to simmer before nudging him with all of the emotion he desperately wanted to show them face to face. Drake's response was immediate as Cerat felt him relax slightly, then feel relieved, along with a strong sense of longing. 

Get some rest, little leech. We'll wait for you, so don't go thinking that you're alone. 

Cerat nodded, though he knew that they couldn't see it. 

"I'll wait for you guys, too. I want to live now, and I'm not afraid to be what I am thanks to you two and that crazy pet shop lady." He said before yawning and letting his eyes close.

Right before he drifted off right there on the sofa, Drake sent him one final message. 

Maybe I'll have that aggressive shop owner take a few more pictures of us, but lower, to send to you. I'll just have to make sure she deletes them after she sends them... don't need her thinking that we're offering her anything. 

Cerat couldn't even bring himself to shake his head at that. He was glad to know that Drake was stil Drake, even if he was finally working and being somewhat nice.