Promises

By madfordbralik

Sequel to "The Worst" More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Don't be angry...
Chapter 58

Chapter 4

6.2K 279 231
By madfordbralik

Zayn's POV

Fuck. Why can't I live.

And I know I'm taking longer to answer than what Charlie would like, but I've got to really think about what I'm gonna say and how I'm gonna say it (because I've been known to be a bit of an um, well...the -say-things-without-really-thinking-first type.) And more importantly, I'll need an explanation for why the fuck she's calling me, which-

I have no clue. But it better be really fucking good.

"You should probably get that," she murmurs, clutching just that much tighter to Liyana while trying to move out of my hold.

"No, actually. I shouldn't."

The phone stops, and I let my chin drop onto Charlie's shoulder, my cheek nuzzling against hers. She begins to relax, rubbing her cheek against mine.

And then the God forsaken fucking phone starts fucking ringing again.

She sighs, using the distraction as a chance to move out of my grasp and head towards the kitchen table. She fixes Liyana in her high chair before helping Marley into his seat and coming back towards me.

"Babe." I try to catch her attention as I let the phone ring, but only for it to stop and start ringing for a third time. I grab the phone, quickly answering.

"What?" I spit harsher than I probably should have. But if I deal with this stupid shit first, then I can deal with Charlie without any interruptions.

"Hey," she says, a bit on edge, probably from my tone. "Sorry if this is a bad time."

I pinch the bridge of my nose, suddenly craving a damn cigarette. But it wouldn't exactly help my case if I disappeared outside to take this phone call. "Is there something that you needed." I don't try to mask the annoyance in my voice.

"Well, I just wanted to tell you that you're needed in the office tomorrow by nine and you'll probably be there all day, so don't make plans or anything. I just found out from Louis, who I guess got an email from Dan who works in...oh what was it he said...you know, I really should write thi-"

"That's all you wanted?" I ask, pretending that this isn't useful information. "Why didn't Lou call me himself? Or why didn't you just text me?"

"Well, I'm offended," she chuckles. "Lou told me to; I guess this is part of my shit work, who knows. Anyway, I wanted to catch you before you called it a night."

I'm going to kill Louis. I don't know what he's playing at here, but...

"And... since you'll be in the office, I'll be in the office. And I can bring you that coffee that I owe you- as a thank you," she chuckles. "So if you'd tell me how you take it, it'd be greatly appreciated. Since you know, you won't let me bring it to your house."

I'm watching Charlie as she scoops out some spaghetti and meatballs for Marley, cutting his meatballs in fours. She does the same for Liyana, except much smaller pieces of meatballs and cut up pasta. Finally she serves herself, sitting down in between the two; the kids on opposite ends of the table. She's got a smile plastered on for them, but I can see right through it. "If I let you buy me a coffee will you stop thanking me?"

"Maybe," she says as I see Charlie frowning while helping feed Li. "Guess we'll see."

"Uh yeah. Black. And I've gotta go. See you at nine." I hang up before she can respond and grab a plate. I fill it and walk over to the table and sit opposite of Charlie.

"Genevieve is the new hire." Simple, but hopefully effective.

"Oh." She doesn't make eye contact as she shovels a forkful of pasta in her mouth. She looks a bit distracted, and still bothered.

"Are you seriously mad?"

"No, I get it. You're a busy man and you're gonna need help."

I plug a hand over each one of Marley's ears. Don't have enough hands for Liyana. "Do I have to eat you out again for you to not be mad at me? Cause I'll do it."

Her cheeks redden furiously as she stops mid chew. "No you don't."

"Then can we not argue about this."

"We're not arguing, we're discussing. Sort of." She shakes her head. "I'm gonna refill my wine. Do you want something while I'm up?"

"No thanks." She goes to pass, but I pull her over to me so that she stands between my legs. Except she's a little unsteady on her feet, so she falls into my lap. I kiss her with everything I have and she eventually starts to respond, her fingertips grazing my scalp. "Come on girl, don't you know you're like, my fave?" I ask against her lips. She can't fight off a grin at that one. "You're my main chick."

She caresses the stubble on my cheeks with her thumbs. "I better be your only chick."

"Ditto. But like, only dude." 

She pecks my lips, letting them linger together. "Now. Do I need to tell this Geneva girl a thing or two? Shake her up a little?"

Well, that might be hot. "May-"

"Ew, yucky" Marley blurts. He looks traumatized. "Why you is doin dat?"

"Just wait, man." Then he'll be asking me why the fuck he waited so long to do that.

Charlie's POV

It's day two of the video shoot and I'm no more excited than I was the first day. Actually, if it's possible, I'm even less excited.

I've been slightly distracted by this Geneva girl, even though I know it's nothing. I think what really pisses me off is that I can't really be mad because I've been seeing Luke behind his back. Well, not like that, but you get what I'm trying to say.

"Charlie, can you get Mike the white t shirt with the holes?" Eleanor asks me in the midst of my daze.

I quickly hand him the shirt (since 'time is money') and make my way over by El. "What time do you think we'll be out of here?"

"Relax. Liyana's fine. Harry...well...yes." I had to leave Liyana with Harry today since Zayn had to go to the office and I have this commitment. And there was no way I was bringing her here; she'll get into everything.

"No, I know. But I have to get Marley from school at 3:00, so I need to be out of here before then." I take a look at my phone- it's 12:15 now. We've been at it since seven this morning and we're already more than halfway done with the second scene. Today's going a heck of a lot smoother than yesterday.

"Oh you've got plenty of time."

*

"Why isn't he picking up the phone," I say to no one in particular. I wasn't worried about Harry earlier, but now that I've been continuously texting him and even called and he's not getting back to me, I'm freaking the hell out a little bit. I'm sure she's fine, though. I'm sure.

I see people keep staring at me, but my kids come first. Always.

Alright, this is getting a little ridiculous. I'm gonna text Zayn and see if he's heard from him. Maybe he's already spoken to Zayn, so he doesn't feel the need to get in touch with me too. I pull out my phone, sending a quick text to Zayn.

"Can you get off of the phone. We have a few more things to do before we call it a day." With what I'm sure is a guilty expression on my face, I look up to find Luke staring at me with a clearly very pissed off expression on his face.

What the hell is his problem. "I'm trying to get in touch with-"

"Look, I don't really care what you're trying to do. But you're here to work. Maybe you know something about that."

"Excuse me?" I scoff. "F-"

"Hate to break up this little love fest, but we're almost done, here," the director interrupts. Luke rolls his eyes, going back to tuning his guitar. As if he can even really play.

I'm lying, I know...he's actually pretty good. But he's being a jerk. And here I was under the impression that we 'squashed' whatever it was between us.

But he should know I'm not the same Charlie I was two years ago, and I'm not just gonna lay down and take whatever he decides to throw my way.

Zayn's POV

"Black, just the way you like it," she grins, handing me a steaming cup of large coffee. "You clean up nice. The last time I saw you, Mr. Boss man, you were in black jeans and a leather. And Raybans, can't forget the Raybans."

"Thanks." I give her a curt smile, taking the cup from her. I've got my phone right on the desk, ready to answer a call from Harry as I wait for this meeting to begin. I'm used to having at least one of my kids with me and it's a bit unnerving to not have either. Marley's at school, so I know he'll be fine, but Liyana's a fucking handful and who knows what the hell her and Harry'll get into. But he hasn't called yet, so that's a good sign.

"You seem distracted," Genevieve says, taking the seat to the right of me, being that Louis is on my left. She's ditched the pants from the last time I saw her for a see-through black top with horses or some shit on it, and a green pleated skirt.

A bit distracted. It doesn't help that I've had meetings up to my asshole today with more to come. "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine. Anything I can help with?"

"No-" I start, but my phone lights up.

From: Charlie

Have you heard from Harry?

He's not picking up my calls.

I pick it up, typing out a quick response as I see them about ready to begin the meeting.

From: Zayn

No

Let me try to call

I'll call u

"I'm guessing Charlie's your wife? If not, then I think you have some explaining to do. Though I don't judge," Genevieve comments.

Don't curse her out. Just...breathe. I need a smoke. I stand up, patting my pockets for my cigarettes. "I'll be right back. You can start without me." Louis looks at me oddly but all Genevieve does is nod and give a broad smile, telling me that she'll take plenty of notes.

"Why the fuck don't you answer your phone," I whisper-shout into the receiver as I stand out back of the building, puffing away. "Charlie's been trying to call you."

"And we were feeding our doll babies. The kids have to eat. Now, just because the two of you are fuck-flucking worry worts, doesn't mean that our play time should go interrupted." He sighs. "Now. Liyana's fine. Though I think she might have been asking for Marley, I dunno. She says random shit."

"Well because of you, I'm out here fucking chain-smoking like some God damned fiend." A few passersby glance at me as I balance the phone between my shoulder and ear so I can roll up the sleeves of my black button up, all the while a cigarette pursed between my lips.

"It's not my fault that you're so high strung, babe. And don't you have a meeting or something?"

"Well because of you, I've missed a lot of it. Good thing Genevieve's taking notes."

I can practically hear him roll his eyes through the phone. "You mean she does things besides try to flirt with you?"

"You met her one fucking time, Harry."

"All it takes is a few seconds, Zaynie." My phone starts beeping, indicating I have another call. I glance at the phone. "I gotta go. Charlie's worried sick and she's on the other line. Pick up the phone or text her or something next time, so she isn't a wreck." I vaguely hear him mumble something about her not being the only one and how it's snack time anyway before hanging up.

"Hey," she greets once I answer. Something's off, but I won't question it. I'll wait til we get home. "Sorry if you're busy. Did you reach him?"

"Yeah, everything's fine. They were playing dolls."

"Of course," she chuckles. "Thanks for calling him."

"Yeah, well, you maybe weren't the only one freaking the fuck out a little," I find myself saying with a smile. "What time are you done? Maybe I can pick you up?"

"Don't you have meetings all day," she laughs. "And soon. I'm pretty sure it's just about done. And I've got to get a cab and get Mar from school, anyway, so I kinda have to leave, ya know?"

"Oh fuck. I almost forgot about that. And fuck the meetings." Okay, so maybe not...these ones are kind of important. I lean back against the brick wall, letting the smoke from probably my fourth cigarette out into the air as my eyes close. "I wish you'd get your license so I can buy you a car. That way you don't have to take a shitty fucking cab everywhere."

"I'll put it on my to do list," she responds. "When I start working and getting decent paychecks, I can save up and take the road test. Then I'll make my first big girl decision and buy a car."

"I'm pretty sure your first big girl decision was deciding to have Marley. Then I'd say Liyana, and then deciding to marry yours truly." I let out some more smoke. "And what part of I'll buy you a car don't you get? You look like a Volkswagen Beetle kind of girl. But that doesn't mean I'm not buying you a Mercedes."

"I'd like something practical, Zee."

"What? Like a fucking...Toyota or some shit?"

She giggles. "Well...maybe."

I smile. "Charlie."

"Don't argue with me, Malik. What I say is final."

I smirk at that, my mind wandering.

"What are you thinking about?" she says after a moment of silence. I hear a door close; my guess is that she's dipping off to take a break she's probably not supposed to be taking.

"How badly I'd like to fuck you right now, to be honest. Maybe across my desk."

"Oh my God. You..." she giggles on the other end, probably super flustered. How quick she can switch from bold and in charge Charlie to Little Miss Innocent will never not...well, I think you get the picture. "You're making me...you know...horny," she whispers the last word like it's some kind of taboo. There's nothing wrong with being horny. It happens to me all the time.

"So then you'd enjoy being bent over or sprawled out all over my desk and thoroughly fucked? Noted."

"Well, talk about being blunt," I hear from my right. "Hope that's the wife. Or is it Charlie?"

Are you fucking kidding. I watch her hand dig into my pocket and pull out my pack of Marlboro reds, taking a smoke. "You mind?" She looks up, cigarette dangling from her lips.

"I guess not," I mumble as she slips the pack back into my pocket and holds her cigarette up to bum a light from mine. "Aren't you supposed to be taking notes?"

Genevieve shrugs, then starts saying something, but I cut her off. "I gotta go, babe. But text me if you want me to come pick you up. I'll just leave here," I tell Charlie. Not like I feel like spending my day here anyway.

"Okay. Love you," she says, and I can tell she's grinning. She loves doing this shit to me. I think she likes to hear me say it. And she knows I'll feel like a super dick later on if I don't say it back, though she won't get mad knowing my history with the L word.

"Love you too," I mutter, feeling my cheeks heat up. Holy hell.

I catch Genevieve's eyes as I hang up the phone; she wears a smug smirk. "Charlie's my fiance," I explain, though I don't think I need to. But for some reason, I don't want her to think I'm fucking around on Charlie.

"Cool. I'm sure she's lovely. So why'd you say fiance and not let me think she's your wife? Cause your best friend definitely called her your wife the other day."

"What?"

She looks at me. "Isn't that weird? Like, you could have just said she's your wife. But you made it clear as day that she's not your wife. Almost like, well...nevermind."

"Why does it matter?" I become defensive-my normal state around Genevieve, apparently.

She shrugs. "It doesn't. Just...noted."

"Well, I've got every intention of making her my wife, for your information. Not that it's any of your fucking business," I snap. She's pretty good at pushing my buttons. I'm gonna have to talk to Louis.

"Relax, boss man. Sheesh, someone gets defensive over his lady. I had plans to meet her before, but now I really wanna meet her."

Charlie's POV

"And that's a wrap on today! Excellent work people, you're free to go!"

It's much later than I would have liked, and there's no time for me to shoot over to the school and get Marley. I texted Zayn to see if there was any way he could get him, and he said he had it sorted. But I really wanted to pick up my little boy.Oh well, it is what it is at this point.

I quickly help Eleanor clean up before grabbing my purse and heading toward the door. Even though I'm no longer in a rush, I'm still wiped. "Where are you going in such a hurry?" I turn around to find none other than Luke standing there.

"None of your business." I know I can get fired for being rude, but at this point, I don't care.

"You should probably watch how you speak to me, you know. If the director hears you, you're done."

"What do you want, Luke?" I pull the strap to my bag over my shoulder.

His features soften slightly. "How's Marley doing?"

"Fine." The question seems odd, but then I remember that the last he probably heard, Marley was in a coma...because of his sister.

He nods, his eyes meeting my ring finger. "Engaged? For real this time?"

I roll my eyes, much like he did to me earlier. "Seriously?" I should quit. If I knew I wouldn't royally screw Eleanor, I would. "I've gotta go."

One more day. I swear if he tries anything, I'll karate chop him in the throat.

//

"Baby?" I hear Liyana before I can see her and it brings a smile to my face. I've had a pretty crappy day, but I missed my baby girl today. "Me."

I don't hear Mar, but he's probably doing his own thing. He has quiet tendencies like Zayn-definitely another Zaynerism.

I close the door, kicking off my shoes. I can't wait to take my bra off, to be honest. I round the corner, making my way toward the living room.

But I stop, immediately becoming pissed off all over again.  

A/N: Heeyyyyyy hope you enjoy the chapter!

Thoughts?

As usual, please vote and comment!and follow :) 

And I will see you soooooon!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 312 63
Book 2 of "Silent Whispers"
141K 7.4K 42
Sequel to "Blame On Me"