A Witch's Way

By lauragrace-x

I thought I was normal, or at least ordinary, but since birth I've been...different. My life has been turned... More

A Witch's Way Copyright Statement
1) Warnings
2) New Arrival
3)Nonsense
4) Surprise
5) New Magic
6) The Royal Family
7) Her and Him
8) Sleepless Night
9) Workout
11) Help
12) Goodbye
13) Signs
14) Answers
15) The Truth
16) Home Sweet Home
17) House Tour
18) Mother Nature
19) Dreams
20) Elements
21) The Prophecy
22) Energy Fields
23) Phone Call
24) Practice Makes Perfect
25) Heartbreak
26) Revealed
27) Games Up
28) Prisoner
29) From Bad To Worse
30) New Company
31) Journey
32) Plaything
33) The Originals
34) Let Me Be Free
35) Come Back To Me
36) Stuck In Hell

10) Attack

8.7K 224 12
By lauragrace-x

Layla:

Yesterday had been very productive. After Matt had shown me how to fly and block my thoughts, he went on to other magic and speech spells. 
He taught me 'ferforta' which allows me to blow things up, which I must say was very entertaining, and we spent almost 2 hours decorating the forest with bits of branches and logs. We also spent a long time practising a highly protective shield, using the word 'proteg'. The spell created a kind of pink glow that went around the caster and protected them from anything physical and most forms of magic. It created a bubble like form with you at the centre of it. We spent hours of the day rolling down hills in these bubbles without doing any damage to ourselves as the bubble couldn't be penetrated by anything the forest could offer.

Because I had 'ripped open the lid to my magic' I was picking up new spells quicker and learning them faster. Everything I tried took less then half the time it normally took a learning witch or warlock to master. According to Matt it took months on end to fully unleash full power, and I had done it in a matter of days. 
I had to admit, I was pleased with myself, I had no idea that I had it in me, and Matt didn't stop the shower of compliments. But I wasn't going to let it go to my head, I still had a long way to go until I was at Matt's level, but I was happy to know it wouldn't take as long as I expected.

At the end of yesterday, Matt and I had agreed to continue again today, same time, same place and here I was on the fallen down tree facing Matt.

"Okay Layla, I want to review some things we did yesterday, first, to warm up your mind and magic, second, to see if what I taught you has stayed in place," Matt said breaking into my day dream.

I nodded once and focused my thoughts. Looking around I saw a big log not too far away. With my mind and eyes locked on the log I said "ferforta." The once perfectly happy log blasted into smithereens, coating the forest floor with bits of bark. I smiled briefly and then, looking around, focused of a branch far above my head. Squinting a little, I repeated, "ferforta," and it blasted from the tree and showered us in twigs.

"Okay! I think that's enough of destroying nature Layla!" said Matt, as he brushed himself off. He smiled and picked a twig out of my hair as I grinned sheepishly.

"Try the shield," he encouraged and focused his emerald eyes on my own.

I nodded once again and gathered a lot of energy from the store in my head.

"Proteg," I whispered.

The pink ball instantly formed a shell around me. Everything took on a pinkish glow as I was cocooned inside.
Hesitantly, Matt reached out a hand and punched it softly. His wrist bounced back instantly, proving my shield wasn't penetrable from anything physical. He smiled and with the same hand, flicked the air in my direction. I felt a small ripple within my bubble, but nothing penetrated and my shield was as strong as ever.

"What did you hit me with?" My voice echoed around the bubble, and I knew to him, it sounded like I was underwater.

"A heat spell, you should have at least a faint flush on your skin as I raised your body temperature, but obviously you're not affected," He said as he eyed my arms and face "Well done, that is really good Layla, you can let the shield down now."

I shrugged and compelled my shield to withdraw and I smiled as it swiftly filtrated into the air. I stared at it a few seconds until the last of the pink particles faded away and then turned back to Matt.

"And your mind blocking has also been effective as it is still locked in place and I can't read your thoughts," he said, nodding his head, whether to himself or to me I wasn't sure "I don't want to go over everything from yesterday, and seeing how intact the last spells were, I don't see any reason to, so let's proceed shall we? New spell?" 

"Yeah," I grinned eagerly. "What did you have in mind?"

Matt tilted his head to the side while he pondered.

"I was thinking...invisibility?"

I nodded enthusiastically, I had been waiting for this. To be able to turn invisible would be so epic. I could have those cookies Aunt Lisa had made me limit myself on. I know, so unfair, how could anybody take cookies away from me?

"Right, a good thing about this is that if you go invisible, you can still unlock your mind and communicate, if you choose," Matt proceeded, completely oblivious to my secret plan, oh how I loved how he couldn't hear my thoughts... "but a bad thing, depending on how you look at it, is that even if you are invisible, magical beings will still be able to feel the presence of magic, they will still be drawn to you, so you won't be completely untraceable and magicians will be able to have a sense of where you are standing. However it's still good to know. So the spell i'm going to teach you is called "liquendy" Observe. Liquendy." 

I watched in amazement as Matt's form disappeared, literally vanished, I would have thought he teleported, but I could still feel him next to me. His whole body had just...gone, even though I knew he was there, I still looked around the space, expecting him to pop out behind a tree or something. Not that Matt's into hiding behind tree's...
I jumped as I felt something brush against my cheek.

"Relax Layla," said Matt's voice in front of me.

I smiled as I looked straight ahead, not really sure if I was looking at his face or not, it was really quite disorientating. I heard laughter as Matt reappeared, with his hand resting on my face. It was so weird, one second I was on my own, then he is right in front of me. Of course he never left, but still...

"See? It's fairly easy. You have to imagine that nobody can see you, picture in your mind yourself disappearing. Feel your body turn to...water. It helps if you think as yourself as a liquid."

I nodded, which I noticed I was doing a lot lately, and closed my eyes, like I always did when learning a new spell. 
I pictured looking at myself in a mirror. I could see my whole body. And then I imagined seeing my reflection vanishing. I imagined I was a body of water, whole at the moment but with a slight touch could collapse into a puddle.

"Liquendy," I whispered

I felt an odd sensation come over me. It was like I really was made of water. I felt so light and even my small movements seemed like I was rippling. Small pinpricks started in my palms.
I opened my eyes and looked down at myself, hoping I would be seeing the tree I sat on and nothing more.
Though something wasn't right. I could still see my hands, yet I could still see through my hand. My entire body had taken a pearly edge to it. You could still see me, but only slightly, if you wanted to, you could see the tree's behind me by looking through my head. I felt like a ghost. Not that I've met one, just how I would imagine a ghost would look. I glanced at Matt for guidance.

He smiled "That's actually very good for a first try, I expected you to maybe loose a little colour, but then again you always surprise me. Try it again, but this time-"

Matt stopped abruptly and looked around. His eyes were wide and alert. His head whipped from side to side quickly and I saw his jaw clench.
Getting down from the tree gracefully, he pulled me with him and stood slightly in front of me, stock still, listening to the wind. I had my back pressed against the tree and my body was partially shielded by Matt's.
I reappeared fully and stood solid next to him. Gripping his arm, I whispered quietly in his ear.

"Matt, whats wro-"

"Shh," he whispered.

I straightened my back and looked around also, trying to see what had caught his attention.
But saw nothing.
However, a second later I didn't see what he had seen, rather felt it. I had only felt it once before in my life, the first time I had met Matt. My body trying to tell me he possessed magic. 
This must only mean one thing. 
We wern't alone.

Letting go of Matt's arm slowly, I kept my eyes wide open for any sign of movement. What these other magicians were here for, I didn't know, but I was sure it just wasn't a coincidence that they were here at the same time we were. But I guess I could have it wrong, they could just be curious to see who else of our kind lived in this town. By why on earth were they in a forest? This forest?

We were still for a few minutes, just listening and waiting. Matt didn't relax his posture, and neither did I.  Every swish of the branches, every rustle of leaves sounded like people moving through the forest.

"Versay," Matt whispered.

I had no idea what spell Matt just said, but he had closed his eyes.
Only a second later did his eyelids snap wide open and he dodged quickly to the side pulling me with him. I gasped from surprise at the sudden movement and my body collided with the bottom of the trunk as I crouched on the ground. Matt had covered me with his body.
A green light had shot out of nowhere and hit through the space Matt was just standing.
What would have happened if it had hit him?
I didn't have time to think of an answer as 3 more green lights flashed above my head, all aimed at Matt.
But he was too quick for them, he pulled me up from the ground and dashed behind the fallen down tree. We crouched down, breathing heavily. I stared wide-eyed at Matt.

"Matt! What's going on?!" I all but shouted at him and tucked my hair behind my ears.

"Attack. Layla, we're being attacked! I don't know who by but I'm sure they're not here to chat."

Matt grabbed a hold of my hand and then after a second, looked at me. Anger in his eyes.

"Dammit! I can't teleport! They've sealed off the area! We have to-"

Matt didn't finish his frantic sentence as more flashes of light were emitting above our heads and shouts reached my ears. Spell's, they were shouting spells.

A large chunk of the tree flew off in between mine and Matt's head, causing us both to fly backwards, away from each other. I landed awkwardly on my side as my breath got knocked out of me. I rolled over to see if I could find Matt. I saw him getting to his knee's a few metres from me. He lifted his head to my face.

"Layla! Get to cover! But-" Matt's urgent sentence was cut short again as three tall hooded figures jumped over the tree in one fluid movement. They landed gracefully and stood straight simultaneously. 

Matt shot his own green flash at the figure in the middle, at the same time, I whipped out my arm and levitated the one on the right, the closet one to me, and threw him hard into a tree. I felt no guilt as I heard his head collide with the trunk. These magicians were here to harm us, that much was clear. 

The figure dodged Matt's green flash and aimed another at him, which he narrowly avoided by rolling to the side.
I jumped up from where I lay and focused on finding a tree to defend myself from. I saw a purple flash brush past my head by inches, shortly followed by another green flash. I dodged to the side and rolled myself behind the closet tree. I pushed my back onto the trunk to help me get to my feet, and looked over my shoulder.

The forest was a blur with different colour flashes. Branches and tree's were blasted apart. Mud flew up in the air, making it hard to see where everyone was.

I heard one of the figures yell out in pain and I looked to see Matt staring intently at him, concentration lining his face. What ever Matt was doing was causing some serious damage. Before long, another figure hit Matt with something I didn't recognise. Matt was suddenly the one yelling out in pain.

"Matt!" I screamed and ran out from behind the tree. My only thought to hurt and stop the figure looming over Matt causing him so much agony. 

"Proteg!!" I shouted and the pink glow cocooned me.

Before I could do anything to help Matt, I saw a green flash penetrate my shield and hit me squarly in the chest.
I dropped to the ground a few metres from Matt. 

I couldn't move.
I physically could't move.
Looking at my arms I willed them with all my might to lift but they lay motionless at my side. My legs lay useless where they fell. I couldn't even move my head. My hair lay sprawled on the ground and across my face and neck. I tried opening my mouth to yell, but it wouldn't open, no words escaped my tightly closed lips. I couldn't even mumble. I went to my last resort and tried to use magic via my mind but nothing happened. It was like I was dead. What ever spell had hit me, it rendered my whole body lifeless and frozen.

Thankfully I could still see, hear, touch and smell. Proving that I was still alive. The little movement I could do was roll my eyes and blink.

Fortunately I landed on my back with my head facing Matt and I could see everything that was happening. Tears welled up and rolled down my still cheeks as I looked at Matt still yelling in pain. It was like he was being possessed by something, never before had I seen someone in that much agony. He rolled over and over, his hands digging into the earth and then reaching to the sky.

"Enough, James," said one of the figures, he had an air of authority around him, and I assumed he was the leader.

I was so relived to see Matt's screaming had stopped and I watched him, panting on the ground.
He raised his head and his eyes landed on my limp form. He instantly tried to reach me, but he collided into an invisible barrier, he tried again but was pushed back to the ground. He lifted his hands into the air and all around him was met with a wall, like he was trapped in an invisible box, caged like an animal. The three figures laughed in union at Matt's furious attempts to break free.

I rolled my eyes to look at the three figures who started walking closer towards us. The fight had made the hoods slip slightly from their heads and I could see more of their faces.

The leader, who stood tall in the middle had pale skin, but very clear, with his lack of wrinkles I could see that he was fairly young, in his mid-twenties maybe? His eyes were very dark under his hood and no colour blossomed his face, in fact it didn't look like he had been in any sort of confrontation at all. Everything about his demeanour screamed "serious!" at me and I knew he wouldn't hesitate to kill anyone.

On his right I looked at the other man. His hood was completely back and I saw a shock of white blonde hair. He was regrettably good-looking and looked early twenties. His skin was a little darker and his eyes were a light blue, his cheeks were flushed from the fight and his whole face looked alive, like he had enjoyed what just happened, his smile said as much.
The last still had his hood covering his eyes but I could make out a strong jaw line and a very straight nose. His lips were pale and thin and from the corner of them I could see a familiar looking scar.
If I could of gasped I would have. This was that weirdo I had seen the other night! I was sure of it, you don't see many scar's that horrid looking. Closer up I could see it was an old and healed scar and I would have guessed it had been there for a while. It was carved deep into his skin. From what I could see, he looked a little older from the other's, and it surprised me that he wasn't the leader, obviously age wasn't everything with these people. 

This one suddenly snapped his head and looked directly at me. Although I couldn't see his face completely, I saw he had blood running down his chin, I guessed it was the man I had thrown into the tree. From within the dark, menacing hood, the man's eyes locked with mine and a smile formed on his lips, pulling at his scar and revealing a line of white teeth.

"We meet properly at last," he smirked.

His voice was deep and husky and raised the hairs on the back of my neck. "I'd say the little madame here needs to learn a little respect for her elders. The spell seemed to effect the boy well, maybe it will work just as good on the girl?" 

"NO!" Matt yelled, but it was too late.

The pain that spread through my body like wild-fire was indescribable.
It was like I was literally on fire, but far, far worse then that. Like having acid thrown on me, seeping excruciatingly through my skin and eating away at my insides. Like being stabbed hundreds of times with blunt knives that went right through me, ripping and tearing me open. Like having someone peel back the skin slowly from my muscles and then my muscles from my bones, and then breaking my bones into hundreds of pieces. But even that would have seemed nice compared to what I was feeling.

A high pitched, terrorised scream escaped my lips and I somehow broke free of the freezing spell.
I twisted in agony and clawed at the ground, my screaming never ceased. I grabbed my skin wanting to rip the pain away, but I could do nothing, not because I couldn't move anymore, but because all I could think about was this searing pain that seemed to consume every thought that I had. My body twisted and bent in ways I would have thought impossible as I begged to find a way out - any way out of this hellish nightmare that I seemed trapped in.

A second green flash hit me and I was once again immobile and frozen. Yet the pain continued and raged inside of me. The only sign of it from the outside was my wide, terrified, pain-filled eyes and the uncontrollable tears.

"Strong one, she is, broke through the field. You shouldn't have done that," he said staring down at me evily. And unbelievably the pain grew stronger. I couldn't scream through my mouth as much as I wanted to unleash my pain, so I screamed through my mind and eyes, the only thing I could do.

"STOP! PLEASE! STOP IT!" Matt yelled at them, bashing at his invisible cage with all his might, but for all the good it did, he might as well be banging on a concrete slab.

"Enough Fredric, all this screaming is giving me a headache." the leader said and pinched his nose with his thumb and finger.

The one called Fredric frowned at having his fun spoiled but none the less the pain disappeared. 

If I could pant I would have, even though I hadn't physically been doing anything, but I lay as still as a statue on the ground bound by the spell, feeling completely drained from the exertion. I looked at the men in front of me, terrified of what they would do next.

"What do you want?!!" Shouted Matt through his box.

James turned his blonde head and grinned at the leader.

"Look, Thomas, they don't seem to know."

The leader, Thomas, smirked and looked down on Matt, and spoke in a cold voice that matched his eyes.

"I'm sure you know very well why we are here boy, so don't give us that. We will take what we want and go. You can not stop us, any attempts would be foolish."

"Well what do you want?!" I screamed up at him, breaking through the second spell, how was I doing that?

Fredric muttered and looked away, his mouth turned down at one side.

"The prophecy was right then, good job we got here when we did," he said and hit me with the green flash again.

The spell hit me in the stomach and once again I felt myself freeze up, silencing me.

James looked towards Fredric. "So it seem's. We must be quick, who knows how long it could take..."

 "Indeed. I have to admit, I had my doubts in the prophecy, but now...Let's just get on with it." Thomas sighed, as if this was boring him.

"Look, I will do what ever you want! Just leave Layla! She has nothing to do with this!" Matt shouted and pressed his hands pleadingly against the barrier.

The three men looked at each other simultaneously and then, after a pause, laughed loudly.

That last flash of green light had left me feeling weak and I had an urge to shut my eyes, and drift to sleep... but I mustn't sleep! I must focus! There has to be a way out of this... 
My attention to my surroundings wavered and for some reason I could picture a boat.
A lovely, cute, white little boat all the way out in the middle of the ocean.
It had wooden benches around the sides and pure white sales that fluttered in the light breeze. The sea was a bright, clear, blue and stretched as far as the eye could see. 
Me and Matt were sitting on this boat, far, far away from here and away from danger...Ohh how I wanted to be there now...
A sudden anger formed from my chest as the view of my heaven was disappearing to be replaced with the forest and reality...No! I want to be back there! Give it back! I want to be there! I want to be there!

All the anger and frustration and pain and fear I had been feeling burst from me in a sudden, uncontrollable, explosion.
There was a huge flash of brilliant white light and quite suddenly, I found myself on that same boat and free from my bounds. 
I looked left and I saw Matt sitting on a bench on my boat looked terribly confused and a little scared. 
What had just happened? Where was the forest? I blinked several times but all I saw was the endless ocean and the boat. I inhaled and smelt the fresh, salty air of the sea. I reached out a hand and ran it along the length of the smooth boat, it was hard and warm under my palm.
I was quite sure this wasn't a dream....but where is the forest? It can't have just vanished...

I was pulled from my endless wonderment by the sounds of gasps. Turning I was faced with three figures looking as confused as I felt.

"What is this?!" Shouted Thomas as he stepped to steady himself from the rocking of the boat.

What are they doing here? On my boat? They can't be here, this is meant to be my fantasy, a fantasy where they surly wouldn't be in. 

Without hesitation I leaped forwards and pushed all three men overboard. There was a huge splash and the magicians went underwater, spraying and soaking myself and Matt. 
I wiped the water from my eyes and leaned over the edge of the boat to see them struggling to rise to the surface. I leaned further forwards to get a better view and felt myself falling. I tried to reach out, but couldn't get a hold on anything. I was falling faster and faster. Oh God I'm going to fall in as well! The water was coming closer and closer.

Just when I thought I was about to touch the surface of the water, I felt a thud against my face.
A familiar woodsy smell reached my nose and when I opened my eyes I saw that I was lying face down on the forest floor, the earth pressed hard against my body.
Before I could ponder what in the world just happened, a spluttering sound reached my ears.

Jumping to my feet I staggered, my whole body felt drained, like it would collapse at any moment. That was strange. I saw the world tipping onto its side, but managed to put my foot out to stop myself from falling over.
I turned my head to the spluttering sound and saw the three magicians sprawled on the floor, each drenched head to toe in water...as if they had gone swimming...
Looking towards my left I saw Matt looking at them with eyes wide, and he too had wet clothes. 

Before I could react, Matt leaped to his feet, grabbed my hand and started running. 

We ran and ran, not knowing whether we were being pursued. My legs felt like jelly and my eyes kept drifting shut...this was not the time to collapse! I had to keep running, no matter how much my body protested. I just had to.
I realised I was leaning on Matt heavily and that his arm had wound around my waist and was the only thing holding me up. 

"Layla! Stay with me!" Matt said urgently "You need to turn invisible! Liquendy!"

Matt suddenly vanished, but I still felt his firm arm around me and could still hear the thudding of his feet as we drove through the forest.
Without breaking a step I said "liquendy!" with as much breath as I could and as much power as I had in me, but it was hard, like all my power had left me.
However, when I looked down at myself, I saw nothing. 
I had little time to celebrate my success as soon after I heard the sound of running feet close behind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey :)

hopefully you guys liked this chapter, and don't worry there's plenty more action coming up, the fight isn't over yet!

Please vote and comment! I would love to know what you thought!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.7K 602 13
** Ivy Pov "Wait, we're sharing the same bed." My eyes widened in horror as I was placed on the bed. "Yes. You're my mate now and my mate stays with...
745 83 34
I thought I was going to start off the year normal: Enjoy senior year, play varsity soccer, maybe even fall in love. Unfortunately, my life has chang...
82 0 19
What happens when you find out the fate of the world rests on your shoulders? That the only way to save everyone is with your blood? Would you give u...
19 0 12
Just live a normal life, it's easy. but what would you do when suddenly all that normality crashes down on you and pushes you into a never ending loo...