10) Attack

Layla:

Yesterday had been very productive. After Matt had shown me how to fly and block my thoughts, he went on to other magic and speech spells. 
He taught me 'ferforta' which allows me to blow things up, which I must say was very entertaining, and we spent almost 2 hours decorating the forest with bits of branches and logs. We also spent a long time practising a highly protective shield, using the word 'proteg'. The spell created a kind of pink glow that went around the caster and protected them from anything physical and most forms of magic. It created a bubble like form with you at the centre of it. We spent hours of the day rolling down hills in these bubbles without doing any damage to ourselves as the bubble couldn't be penetrated by anything the forest could offer.

Because I had 'ripped open the lid to my magic' I was picking up new spells quicker and learning them faster. Everything I tried took less then half the time it normally took a learning witch or warlock to master. According to Matt it took months on end to fully unleash full power, and I had done it in a matter of days. 
I had to admit, I was pleased with myself, I had no idea that I had it in me, and Matt didn't stop the shower of compliments. But I wasn't going to let it go to my head, I still had a long way to go until I was at Matt's level, but I was happy to know it wouldn't take as long as I expected.

At the end of yesterday, Matt and I had agreed to continue again today, same time, same place and here I was on the fallen down tree facing Matt.

"Okay Layla, I want to review some things we did yesterday, first, to warm up your mind and magic, second, to see if what I taught you has stayed in place," Matt said breaking into my day dream.

I nodded once and focused my thoughts. Looking around I saw a big log not too far away. With my mind and eyes locked on the log I said "ferforta." The once perfectly happy log blasted into smithereens, coating the forest floor with bits of bark. I smiled briefly and then, looking around, focused of a branch far above my head. Squinting a little, I repeated, "ferforta," and it blasted from the tree and showered us in twigs.

"Okay! I think that's enough of destroying nature Layla!" said Matt, as he brushed himself off. He smiled and picked a twig out of my hair as I grinned sheepishly.

"Try the shield," he encouraged and focused his emerald eyes on my own.

I nodded once again and gathered a lot of energy from the store in my head.

"Proteg," I whispered.

The pink ball instantly formed a shell around me. Everything took on a pinkish glow as I was cocooned inside.
Hesitantly, Matt reached out a hand and punched it softly. His wrist bounced back instantly, proving my shield wasn't penetrable from anything physical. He smiled and with the same hand, flicked the air in my direction. I felt a small ripple within my bubble, but nothing penetrated and my shield was as strong as ever.

"What did you hit me with?" My voice echoed around the bubble, and I knew to him, it sounded like I was underwater.

"A heat spell, you should have at least a faint flush on your skin as I raised your body temperature, but obviously you're not affected," He said as he eyed my arms and face "Well done, that is really good Layla, you can let the shield down now."

I shrugged and compelled my shield to withdraw and I smiled as it swiftly filtrated into the air. I stared at it a few seconds until the last of the pink particles faded away and then turned back to Matt.

"And your mind blocking has also been effective as it is still locked in place and I can't read your thoughts," he said, nodding his head, whether to himself or to me I wasn't sure "I don't want to go over everything from yesterday, and seeing how intact the last spells were, I don't see any reason to, so let's proceed shall we? New spell?"