The Power Hungry (Mad Max: Fu...

Von Blairkitten

| Part 2 of The War Girl | It's a dog eat dog world, some would say. As soon as one lets their guard down for... Mehr

1: Brand New
2: Fiery Hair
3: The Second First Drive
4: Memories
5: The Message
6: Phase one
7: The Baby
8: Angharad Splendid
9: Interrogation
10: Phase two
11: Lovely Wife
12: Drayko
13: New Recruits
14: The Second Apprentice
15: Children of War
16: Help
17: The Alliance
18: The Leatherbacks
19: Dominari
20: Two of a Kind
21: Gastown Boys
22: Treasure
23: Homeland
24: She Was Always Yours
26: Guests
27: Act Natural
28: Half-Life
29: Striking First
30: Ordinary
31: Fury
32: Glory

25: Leather and Chrome

328 10 4
Von Blairkitten

      CAPABLE

      "...Hey..."

      I was just about to leave the vault, when I open the door to find Drayko standing in the doorway. He rubbed his four-fingered hand against his opposite arm awkwardly. I remembered faintly when I was first brought to the Citadel, how strange everything was. Although, nothing but horror and suffering awaited me when I arrived, which is the opposite of Drayko's situation. I gave him a friendly smile, stepping through the door to meet him. He shifted uncomfortably on the spot, eyes looking everywhere but me. It was as if he was afraid the Mayor would leap from the shadows and pin him to the floor. My hand placed itself at his shoulder, my eyes softening with sympathy.

     "You're safe here. No need to be paranoid." I told him gently.

     Drayko didn't say anything, but nodded once nevertheless.

     I flashed him a bright grin, "I've got an idea, how about we get you some new clothes?"

     He looked down at his tattered jeans, filthy shirt, and mixed matched boots with bewilderment. It was like he was seeming himself for the first time. I laughed a little, taking his hand in mine and leading him down the halls. I took him down to the caverns, weaving my way around war boys like streams of fish. Drayko was absolutely terrified, his dark eyes wide and his head low. Every time a war boy looked him straight on, he flinched away from them with a pained look. How long would it be before his fear ebbs away?

     I tried to recall where I was told this 'supply closet' was. I knew this is where hand-me-down clothes were taken and dumped. Surly I would be able to find something for him.

     We turned the corner to what also led to the fighting pits, and I found it. A little room that was no more that four feet wide. Piled high inside was a number of random trinkets and clothes. All of them were the standard black war boy cargo pants. I got down on my knees and began to shift through the objects absently. Slowly, Drayko joined me. Most of the pants were either pup size or nearly big enough to fit Rictus when he was still alive. I did, though, manage to scrap together two boots that looked to match. Too Drayko's delight, they fit perfectly.

     After nearly twenty minutes of looking, Drayko sat back on his heels with a sigh. "It's okay, Capable, I don't really need new clothes." he reassured me, obviously more loosened up than before.

    I shrugged, "Worth a try, I suppose."

    Especially excited footsteps thundered down the halls, skidding to a halt where we were both sitting. I saw her form out of the corner of my eye, and instantly recognized her.

     "Furiosa's callin' for us, we're gonna train the Leatherback troops!" Feral panted, her single eye shining with glee. It was the same happiness that painted the war boys' faces every time they got the chance to drive.

     "Okay," I said with a tip of my head, "Are we riding with you?"

     Feral nodded, "Yeah, comon'!" she said, beaming, and gestured for me to follow her.

   ~~

     "You what?"

     "Yep! I gave her back to Furiosa." Feral said proudly. She leaned down close to me, as she was a couple inches taller than me, and whispered to me from behind her hand, "She was just giddy about it." she snickered.

    I cast a glance to the war rig Jr., where Furiosa now sat in the passenger side proudly. I turned back to Feral, "So she gave you the Gigahorse?" I asked with astonishment.

    The war girl patted the side of the vehicle, "Yeah, she's all mine now."

    I was about to speak again, but the low roar of the rig's horn cut me short. Feral pulled herself up and into the front seat, starting up her vehicle and waiting for us to get in.

     Drayko and I sat in the back seat, watching as the desert flew past us in a blur or orange and brown. It was easy to tell that this car fit Feral much better than the rig. Sure, she nursed the truck back to life and gazed at it as if it was her child, but it just wasn't right. Nux's car kept pace next to us, looking much smaller next to the Gigahorse. I wondered briefly if Feral still could sense Immortan's presence here. I could almost imagine it was Joe himself that was driving me far away from freedom, and I shuddered. I kept my gaze fixed on Feral's lithe form at the wheel, reminding myself that Immortan was long gone.

     I was not here the last time they visited the Leatherbacks, so I didn't know what to expect. When their village started to peek over the horizon, I was startled at its size. So many people in one place, and such little power? It must me their reluctance to fight, or their welcoming nature to the sick and lost. Sure, they had the numbers, but their morals is their greatest weakness. 

     We cruised to a stop in front of the tribe, were a crowd of relatively healthy people awaited us. Feral got out first, along with Furiosa. Following her was The Dag, who must be here to check over the troops for sickness. Femur and Tommi, the new Imperators, emerged from their vehicle. Drayko chose to stay in the car, and I climbed out last.

     The Leatherback people did not look completely happy to be here. In fact, all if their faces were set and staring straight ahead. 

     From the line of strangers, a man with a face like a fox stepped forward. He nodded towards the people behind him, frowning a bit.

     "As promised, here are some of my best and healthiest soldiers." He pointed a finger at Furiosa, almost threateningly, "They will only be trained here, where I can keep and eye on them." he annouced.

     Furiosa nodded once, "As promised." she echoed.

     The fox man nodded back, then gestured for us to begin.

     The Dag came for me at once, grabbing my arm and tugging me towards the nearest Leatherback. I guessed that I was here to help The Dag check these people over.

     It really was a boring task, and I would much rather be training these people to fight or drive like everyone else. Alas, I only watched as the war boys sparred, shot, or drove with the strangers. The Dag didn't really need much of my help at all, she worked quick and efficiently with each patient. The fox man didn't lie, these people were healthy, some even more so that the war boys. 

     It was fascinating to watch the Leatherbacks interact with the Citadel people. I could see in every punch or kick that they were not used to such violence. Sure, living in a wasteland did force you to fight, but the scale of brutality the war boys used in combat was extreme to say the least. Nevertheless; the two tribes seemed to get along well. I could hear laughter and encouraging shouts bubbling from the crowd. Even the fox man, who stalked in the shadows like a hungry dog, seemed to lighten up a bit.

     "That's the last one." The Dag announced to me, snapping me from my thoughts.

     I let out a sigh of relief, brushing my wild curls from my face. The sun was beginning to set, turning the stifling heat to a pleasant chill.

     "...Heading out." Furiosa finished, the first half of her sentence being cut off by the chatter around us. I turned to see her speaking in a low voice to the fox man.

     "Wait." he said, catching her by her metal arm before she could walk away, "Leave some of your war boys here."

     Furiosa raised an eyebrow, "Why?"

     The fox man made a wide gesture to the people around him, "You can't possibly come here every day and train with us, you have an empire to run." the words came out with a small smile, which was strange after his hostility from before. "If you leave a few of them with us they can train my soldiers around the clock."

     Furiosa considered this for a moment, her eyes narrowed at the fox man, "Should I trust you not to harm them? I can't afford to loose any more war boys."

    At this, he snorted, "We are not the kind to take innocent lives for no good reason, you know that." He said.

     Furiosa sighed a little, obviously reluctant, "Very well." She turned and waved a mechanical arm towards were Feral and Nux were wrestling with two Leatherbacks. "You two!" She called, "Over here!"

   I suppose there wasn't anyone else Furiosa trusted more than Feral, and there was no one else Feral trusted more than Nux, so it made sense. I felt like I should be worried for them, but I wasn't. Out of all the people I have encountered in the wasteland, the Leatherbacks seemed to be the most peaceful. 

     "We will be back for you in five days." Furiosa promised, nodding once to her Imperator. With that, she walked back to the war rig Jr., climbing inside. The unearthly sound of its horn bellowed out, signalling for everyone else to start heading back. After coaxing Drayko out of the Gigahorse and into the rig, we were off.

---------------

A/N: I would like to formally apologize for how bland this chapter was. At the beginning I was going to go a different direction and it just went all off track...Just think of it as a build-up chapter for more interesting ones in the future! :*

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

74.7K 1.3K 40
***EDITING*** I'm bad at coming up with words, and even worse at saying them aloud. I guess I can't come up with anything to say because there's noth...
38.4K 4.4K 44
In this Breaking Gods book, Meriwa, a genetically engineered monster hunter who has discovered she's soulmates with a vampire, must explore not only...
51 1 7
AXTON REYNOLDS: The bottle-red-haired girl is going to be the end of me. And somehow I am stuck with Lyric while we go on this rat race to Chicago...
41.2K 1.1K 109
"My gut is telling me something's off with this kid," Vic said. "And I've learned to trust my gut a long time ago." "What else is your gut telling y...