Counting On Forever

By CGirlyGirl

Kate Garner was at the best time of her life. She had her dream job as a book editor in New York City. She ha... More

Author's Note (Important Info)
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue
End Notes [Information]

Chapter 9

3.1K 132 9
By CGirlyGirl

~{Chapter 9}~

"Want me to stay with you tonight?" I ask Beth.

We're in her living room. After Josh left, I took Beth back to her house, and I spent the rest of the day with her. I knew she was suffering, and it was time for me to be the supporting friend.

"You have work in the morning. I think I need to have some time alone for a bit, but I really appreciate all that you've done today," she replies.

I give her a comforting smile and a warm hug. After I leave her house, I realize I have to go back to my office to get my things and my car. While I'm in the office, I see that I have a couple of interviews scheduled for tomorrow. I sigh and grab my things before I hurry out to my car.

Ring, ring!

"Hello?" I ask as I pull out of my parking spot.

"Ms. Garner. I'm so glad you answered because I have some news for you," Mr. Parker's voice says.

"Yes?"

"Well, I just received an interesting phone call about a book that needs to be edited. The person lives only a couple hours away from you, and they specifically asked for you to edit it," he tells me.

"That's great! Are they coming to meet with me?" I ask him.

"They want to meet with you tomorrow. They called me because I'm a friend of theirs. They wanted to make sure they could see you as soon as possible."

"When tomorrow? I have interviews to do tomorrow."

He sighs. "I have no idea. If they come during an interview, have someone else do the interview or reschedule. If they want the job, they'll come back."

"Mr. Parker, I can't reschedule on them. I need these employees," I tell him.

"You also need this book to edit. They requested to have you as their editor," he says.

"I'll figure something out. Is there anything else you need to let me know?" I ask, switching the subject.

"More like a favor."

"What's that?"

"My son."

"What about him?" I ask, surprised.

"I don't know if you've heard yet, but he's become quite a big deal in the world. He's struck a record deal, and he's currently promoting his new album."

"Why does this involve me?"

"He needs to take a break in privacy. Some of the media has been all over him, and he wants a secluded place that he can relax in," he explains.

"You want to see if he can stay in South Hart, don't you?"

He chuckles. "Yes. What about your place?"

Okay, I want to help this guy, but I really don't want him staying in my house for a long period of time. He can visit, but it would just feel weird to have him stay at my place. I don't even know him.

"Kate, you there?"

I go back into focus and say, "What about your sister-in-law's place? I'm sure she wouldn't mind seeing her nephew. Also, I'm kind of hesitant to have someone I don't know stay in my house. There's also no telling when I may have a melt down."

"I understand, Ms. Garner. I think it would be nice for him to stay there with a relative, but he needs a place to record some music. It's also going to be a time for him to get some work done as well."

I brainstorm for a second before coming up with a pretty good idea. "We have the extra building behind the office. There's also a small studio building for rent in town."

"Not bad. I don't know what he'll prefer. So I'll have him decide when he gets there."

"Do you know when he'll get here?"

"In the next few days, but I don't know exactly when. He'll drive himself into town, so you won't have to worry about picking him up or anything."

"Alright. Is there anything else?"

"I think that's it. I want to thank you. You've made this a whole lot easier for me to work out," he gratefully says.

"No problem. Well, I have to get going, but I'll be sure to contact you after I meet with the author you were talking about."

"Until next time, Ms. Garner."

I hang up and call Violet. "I've got some exciting news for you."

"And what's that?" she asks.

"Your nephew is coming to stay in town, and he is going to stay at your bed and breakfast. I hope that's okay," I tell her quickly.

"W-wow. I didn't expect that. I haven't seen him since he was a child. He's really coming?"

"He is. He needs a break from the press. Apparently, his new album has been a hit."

"I always knew he had talent. I just wish I could've watched him grow up. He always loved to sing," she says sadly.

"If you don't mind me asking, what exactly happened?" I ask her a little hesitantly.

"Oh Kate, I wish I could tell you, but I'm swamped. If you want to meet with me soon, we can do that. I need to go, though. I'm sorry," she tells me.

"No, I shouldn't have asked. I'll let you go, and I apologize for being nosy."

"I'll tell you soon. Come by tonight or tomorrow. We can talk then."

I smile. "I'll be sure to do that. Goodbye."

"Bye," she says right before hanging up.

I pull my car into the garage and turn it off. I stick the keys into my purse and open my door. I gather all of my things and hurry inside the house. I set all of my things on the couch before I turn on the TV and go to the kitchen to fix some dinner for myself.

I quickly eat before going to my bedroom. The events of the day have made me very tired. I take a quick shower before jumping into bed and turning off the lights.

~-~-~-~
"Good morning, Miss Garner," the receptionist greets me.

I smile at her and walk straight to my office. I call my secretary in and ask her to sit down.

"We need some more employees, and I've been thinking about hiring from the small college just a few towns away. You went there, right?" I explain to her.

She nods her head and says, "I think that'll be a great idea! I know that college students are always looking for a place to intern or get a job."

"Great! Could you please send an email out to the college and see if we can get this announcement out as soon as possible?"

"Right away, Miss Garner!"

I smile at her enthusiasm as she walks out of the room. I turn my computer on and keep drafting my contract. Later on, I start looking at the finances and look at potential authors.

Before I know it, it's past lunch. I go to the small kitchen area and grab a banana to take back to my office. On my way back, Beth rushes into the room.

"Kate! There's news!" she exclaims.

I raise an eyebrow at her and ask, "What?"

"He's leaving town! He's going with that horrible lady, and they're going to publicize their relationship!"

I pull Beth into my office and ask, "Are you okay?"

She pauses before saying, "I mean, it's not like I'm excited for them, but I didn't want him to stay here. It's such a small town, and I don't think I could've been fine passing him in the street."

I nod my head and give her a small hug. "I'm proud of you. You're being really strong."

She forces a laugh. "Well, I've got to get going. I have an interview at the next town over."

"I'll see you later," I say.

She nods and leaves. I sigh and go back to my work. I'm able to finish everything I need to without being interrupted. By the end of the day, I'm just sitting around with, basically, nothing to do.

"Miss Garner?" My secretary peeks her head into the office.

"Yes?"

"I'm heading out, and I just wanted to let you know that I emailed the college, and they're going to start publicizing the jobs as soon as possible."

"Thank you so much. Have a nice night," I tell her.

She smiles before leaving. My receptionist follows her soon after. I sigh once again. Instead of going home, I just turn my chair around to look out the window. I don't have the same view as the city, but it does give me a little peace.

I grab my phone and start one of my Spotify playlists. "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles comes on, and I close my eyes and just listen to the song. It's one of the few songs that can relax me. Through the months, I've listened to it whenever I need some peace or am struggling with sadness.

"Pray," a voice seems to say.

My eyes fly open, and I turn to see nobody. I'm confused, so I stand up and slowly walk out of my office and cautiously look around. I still don't see anyone.

"Pray," I hear again.

"Who's there?" I ask.

"You know who..."

"I don't know!" I exclaim.

"You do..."

All of a sudden, I feel a wave of sadness. Tears form in my eyes, and I collapse on the ground. The voice was right. I do know who it is. It's someone I've neglected for a long time, and I'm seeing the results of it. The tears begin to run down my cheeks.

I've made a mistake, and I'm not sure I can ever fix it.

~-~-~-~
The week passes by quickly, along with two more days. I find myself avoiding the small amount of work I have and wandering aimlessly around the town.

I end up showing up at the bed and breakfast. Violet gladly welcomes me.

"What brings you here?" she asks.

"I've been having a hard time. I just found myself coming here for some odd reason."

She smiles. "Sometimes, the Lord leads you to places you'd never expect to be."

I sigh. "That's the thing. I've neglected Him ever since..."

She pats my hand comfortingly. "When my husband died, I felt the same way."

"What do you mean?"

She clears her throat. "Well, he was diagnosed with cancer. The doctors told me he didn't have much time. At this point, he was already separated from his family. His parents didn't approve of me."

"What about Mr. Parker?" I ask curiously.

She laughs. "His siblings seemed to love me, but I wasn't rich enough for his parents."

"That's horrible."

"It was. I felt like it was my fault that he was dying without his family beside him. After his death, I went into a deep hole of depression. I blamed myself for his lack of family support. I blamed myself for his quick death. I thought that he would've lived longer if I hadn't been his wife."

"It wasn't your fault, though," I tell her.

She gives me a sad smile. "It took me years to figure that out. When I did, I thought it was too late to tell anyone. Luckily, I told his sister, but she apparently didn't tell anyone about me. Kate, don't make the same mistake I did. Don't blame yourself for your fiancé's death."

I'm taken aback at the last thing she says, but I realize that there's some truth to her statement. "I'm trying, Violet. I'm trying."

She takes my hand in hers. "It's still okay to cry. Don't be afraid to show your emotions. You've been through a rough life."

My eyes water, and before I know it, I'm sobbing. I hate the feeling of weakness I get when I cry. For some reason, Violet helps me with that while I cry. For the first time in forever, I'm crying without feeling weak or guilty. She wraps me up in a warm embrace, and I just cry.

In the past, I'd cry because he was dead. Now, I'm crying because I know that she's right. I've been blaming myself for part of it. I've been questioning me and God.

Somebody clears their throat, making me turn around. Violet looks up. My eyes widen. Standing in the doorway, is the brown eyed guy I talked to all those months ago.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 166 30
"And as I hold my crying, broken girl in my arms at the doctors office, I realize the true meaning of unconditional love. There isn't anything that...
160K 7K 32
It's been years since Lexa had seen her best friend Clarke, her very first crush. There was no one on the planet more important to 15 year-old Lexa...
Altered By Luella M Opal

General Fiction

190 30 30
Have you ever met someone who alters the course of your life? For good or for bad, they've come in, given and taken, and then- BOOM! Your life was...
225K 5.3K 38
Summer and Bryce have faced obstacle upon obstacle, and have survived many highs and lows in their relationship. But now with Bryce off to college, w...