Ordinary Acts of Bravery [A D...

By CiljeBilje

If I could give you but one thing in life, I would give you the ability to see yourself through my eyes, only... More

Introduction
Chapter 1 - The first meeting
Chapter 2 - A new faction
Chapter 3 - I'm not a fan of Eric
Chapter 4 - A New Life begins
Chapter 5 - New training methods
Chapter 6 - Capture the flag
Chapter 8 - A day without training
Chapter 9 - Coward or not
Chapter 10 - The first rankings
Chapter 11 - The fear simulation
Chapter 12 - Driven by jealousy
Chapter 13 - The coward way out
Chapter 14 - A new addition
Chapter 15 - An equal reaction
Chapter 16 - A new side to Eric
Chapter 17 - The lost star
Chapter 18 - Georgiana's legacy
Chapter 19 - A place to stay
Chapter 20 - A punishment
Chapter 21 - I was drawn to you
Chapter 22 - The turning point
Chapter 23 - The fear-landscape
Chapter 24 - Preliminary rankings
Chapter 25 - Revenge
Chapter 26 - Another night at Eric's
Chapter 27 - Supervised
Chapter 28 - Protector
Chapter 29 - A game of dare
Chapter 30 - The final test
Chapter 31 - The final rankings
Chapter 32 - The mask we wear
Chapter 33 - A part of dauntless
Chapter 34 - I made you a promise
Chapter 35 - Erudite
Chapter 36 - Eric's walls
Chapter 37 - Greeting the new initiates
Chapter 38 - Crossing the line
Chapter 39 - Alternating events
Chapter 40 - I love you
Chapter 41 - Unrevealed truths
Chapter 42 - You were mine
Chapter 43 - Wordless pain
Chapter 44 - Mine again
Chapter 45 - On the verge of change
Chapter 46 - Innocents becoming murderers
Chapter 47 - Doing what's right
Chapter 48 - Amnesty
Chapter 49 - The brother I chose
Chapter 50 - Amity
Chapter 51 - Fight or run
Chapter 52 - Candor
Chapter 53 - Truth serum
Chapter 54 - New leadership
Chapter 55 - Another promise
Chapter 56 - The return of Valentine
Chapter 57 - No longer seperated
Epilogue
Author's note
A/N - Chapters: Alternative Ending
Chapter 56 - The return of Valentine, and Eric.
Chapter 57 - Erudite's invasion
Chapter 58 - Cleaning up

Chapter 7 - Victory, or defeat

13.1K 322 7
By CiljeBilje

"There is nothing impossible to him who try."
—Alexander the Great

          Seconds after Eric had thrown out the orders, everyone dispersed. It left me alone with Eric, allowing us to stare at each other for a few heartbeats in the silence that remained. The satisfied smirk that then emerged on his lips, only fueled my annoyance and frustration towards him. If he wanted to have it his way, I would not let him get away with it so easily.

"Fine—" I agreed reluctantly, shifting my gaze to the building behind Eric. "Keep up then." I sidestepped him and headed directly towards the building before he could protest. Barely had I placed my hands in the first small crevasses that would allow myself to begin the climb before Eric stood at my side.

"What exactly, is it that's going through your mind?" Eric sneered but the insult fell short as I turned my attention to him. His eyes reflected the light coming from moon shining brightly above us. It enabled me to see them shift impatiently between my face and hands already on the building.

The dauntless leader didn't hide his annoyance when I huffed impatiently at him. "Getting higher, how else will we be able to see the flag of Four's team?" I asked stating the obvious with a 'duh' tone. It was a tone that deeply annoyed Eric. The way his eyes narrowed and his lips became a thin line was all signs on that very feast. I even had him at a loss of words for a few seconds.

The warm feeling that emerged inside me only made me relish in the feeling even more. This was something I could get used to. Every time he came back to taunt me, I had begun to learn what angered him the most. And now was the time to use it against him. Turning back to the building, I found another ledge to hold onto. "Follow me, and watch where you place your hands. This building isn't completely safe." I ordered.

Eric's brows furrowed in sheer disbelief. He definitely hadn't thought that I would have dared to order him around like that. He luckily didn't see the smile coating my lips when I took the lead, quickly scaling the building, remaining low against the side. It had tipped over and was now leaning heavily against another building behind it. It allowed for an easier climb.

Securely, I made great progress, ignoring the aching in my thigs as they reminded me of the strain they had been under for the last few weeks. It wasn't long before I was shaking and gasping softly for air. It was tougher than I had remembered. Despite my body remembered the climbing my muscles surely cured the strain.

It forced me to halt more than once, wincing when moving my right-hand to grab my cramping thigh. I cursed at it through clenched teeth before taking the opportunity to cast a glance back at Eric who was right below me. He was making his way up the side of the building a lot faster than I had expected him to be. He proved a better climber than expected.

Noticing my halted stance, Eric looked up, our eyes met for but a second before I turned away. Well knowing this would enable him to look directly at my ass instead as I began climbing again, taking bigger leaps, becoming careless because I needed to create some distance between us. I had no need for him to hear my roaring heart.

When the ledge I had intended to reach for appeared in sight not far above me, I jumped for it, intending to wrap my fingers around the edge of it. However, the second my fingers did, the cement crumbled, sending me sliding down against the side of the building. I yelped, choking the scream that threatened to leave me as well while I frantically tried to grab onto something that would steady me as I fell. I just had to grab something, anything!

Then a strong arm wrapped around my waist, pinning me against the building. I came to a halt immediately after. My heart roaring in my chest, my blood rushing. It was all keeping me oblivious to how Eric was holding onto me as I rested my forehead against the cold side of the building. It had been him who had caught me, who else would it have been? He was the only one with me.

When Eric shifted, it forced me to shift as well. My hands reached up for anything to wrap themselves around before hoisting myself up, releasing some of the weight Eric had been carrying. It also enabled me to understand how we were now standing.

Eric had been holding onto the building with one hand, the other rested around my waist. His hand on the wall between my hip and the cold cement. My shirt had shifted up, allowing me to feel his hand on my bare skin. Eric had also been standing on a small ledge, only supported by his toes, as his knees rested against the building's side. One on each side of me, his pelvis pressed into me because he had used his entire body to pin me against the building. It had properly been an involuntary reaction, but a reaction that had saved my life.

My feet found the same small ledge Eric stood on and reclaimed most of my own weight. The silence that followed between us when I dared look back at him from the corner of my eyes, was unbearable, if not uncomfortable. Eric's entire body tensed against mine when I caught his gaze. His blue eyes reflected so many emotions and was so much deeper to look into this close.

I had half expected him to yell at me for being careless—if not wanted him to do so instead—and when it came, I relaxed into the building. The unexpected closeness of him had not been entirely unpleasant. I had been able to feel the hot air on the back of my neck every time he exhaled. It sent a shiver through my body, riling something up inside me.

"Watch where you place your damn hands." Eric finally snapped at me, waking me up to the severity of the situation. I felt everything. Especially the closeness of his warm figure, the cold wall underneath my clothes, my damp skin glistening with small pearls of sweat, and the exhaustion from the climb. I was still breathing heavily as I dared look to the ground, far underneath us, struggling to keep the image of my body—broken from the fall—lying right there on the pavement. A fall from here would end my life, I was most certain off it.

Shivering, I pulled myself further up and removed myself from Eric's strange embrace. "Thank you." I rasped, throat dry and head still spinning. Eric heaved a defeated sigh while allowing me to climb further up above him. It didn't take me much to understand that he followed behind me much closer this time until we reached the next ledge.

I hauled myself up onto the ledge, quite ungracefully so, but before I could turn around to reach a hand down to Eric, he had already hoisted himself up beside me, quite effortlessly in fact. I scowled and turned inward towards the city again. Eric followed me but remained at a safe distance from the edge. It made me wonder why he acted so differently.

"Do you have a moment to share your thoughts? What is the meaning of this? Or are we just wasting precious time?" Eric then scowled at me after a brief silence. I must've looked a little offended because he raised an eyebrow when I didn't answer him right away. I grabbed the side of the hole, gauged into the building where windows properly had been many years ago, while leaning further out. I intended to annoy him a little before replying.

"Not wasting time—unless you keep standing there with that scowl." I shrugged. My eyes quickly scanned the surrounding area, searching for the faint glow of something that could resemble a flag. "I hoped we would be able to locate the flag from—"

"There!" Eric cuts me off while pointing in the direction of a carousel. "Same spot as last year." He grinned. When I finally see what it is he is pointing at in the distance, I noticed how the flag belonging to Four's team was placed in the middle of a quite open ground, inside a large carousel. A faint green light radiated from it, faintly lighting up in the surrounding darkness. It made me turn towards the building we were using. Only a faint orange glow radiated from the building. It would take a little time  before Four's team discovered it.

"What now?" I ask, but the words had barely even left my lips, when Eric gave away his intentions. Connecting this building with another one, was a few sturdy metal wires. Eric had already reached up to grab one of those hanging low enough to reach. Or low enough for him to reach if he shifted up onto his toes. They were at least the size of my arm and swayed but a little in the wind.

"These look sturdy enough." Eric shifted his attention back to me again. "We can use them to climb to the other side, then climb down that building. It will take us closer to Four's team, and lets us remain out of sight." Eric instructed before he jumped up to grab one of the wires with both his hands.

Effortlessly he pulled himself up and wrapped his legs around the metal wire. He secured them around it before hooking an arm around the wire as well. The other hand he reached down to me, offering me help to reach the wire. I blinked at him, watching him hang there like a monkey. I visibly hesitated when finding the sight a little funny, but when Eric released an impatient growl. I jolted into action and jumped up to grab his hand. It wasn't cold this time.

Again, without much effort Eric had me lifted from the ground. When my fingers wrapped around the wire he let's go and hooks his free arm around my waist. The low grunt that escaped him was the only thing telling me it took something out of him to lift me like this. My fingers wrapped around the wire before the other joined. With the help of Eric, I had my legs raised up and wrapped tightly around the wire as well.

The climb was slow and steady, halfway down we both heard the sudden roar of a battle below us. "They're here!" The voice was unknown to me, but I knew it was Eric's team who had been attacked by Four's. Eric cursed loudly ahead of me, stilling his forward motion to look down. I did the same. Black figures were running around on the ground far below us. They were all indistinguishable from each other. All I could see was how they were aiming their red guns at their opponents.

"Up there! Someone's trying to be clever!" The voice was unmistakable Isaac's. With another curse, this time louder. Eric pushed himself to go faster, gabbing onto one of my legs and pulling me with him down the wire. As if some extreme luck was on our side, none of the small stim-darts hit their mark and only whooshed around us, extremely close for comfort. I wasn't hit a single time nor was Eric. Or so I believed. I was unscathed but Eric wasn't.

Once Eric dropped to the rooftop on the other building, he fell to his knee before a hand removed a stim-dart from the back side of his thigh. "Fucking—shit!" Eric had quite the colorful words when quickly throwing the dart aside. Eric rose to his feet again afterwards, slightly limping towards the other side of the building.

He peaked over the edge, and I didn't miss the way his face lid up before he grabbed another wire, draped over the side of the building. "This will take us all the way down." Eric smirked when he turned back to me. Then he jumped up onto the raised ledge and moved his legs out over the edge like a small child, climbing backwards out over the building. He secured his feet in some kind of hold that allowed himself to slide down the wire. Somehow he managed to land gracefully and shifted away to allow me to follow.

I tried to replicate the hold Eric had on the wire but failed miserably and had to improvise. I was clinging to the wire instead as I slid down towards the ground. I did so at an alarming pace only just bracing myself before reaching the ground. The moment my feet made impact with the ground, I grunted and fell to the ground, my rump taking the majority of the fall.

Eric flashed an amused expression at my landing before he yanked me to my feet again. The hold on my arm not relenting as I stuck my tongue out at him. He snorted and pulled me closer, clearly ready to say something when we both heard the alarming sound of footsteps running towards us.

Someone was running directly towards us. Eric dashed forwards, one hand covering my mouth, the other grabbed my shoulder and forced me down with him into a crouched stance behind a large object before the person could turn around the corner. They halted and kept their weapon lifted, eyes scanning the surroundings.

Eric sat alarmingly close. I was pressed against the large thing as he settled on his knees in front of me. I bit into his palm when it became hard to breathe. Eric's attention snapped back to me and his hand jerked away from my mouth. I sucked in a deep breath and Eric understood, his expressions becoming apologetic for a few seconds as his annoyed expression faded away.

"Sorry" He mouthed. "Four." He then announced in a rasp whisper. A flash of hatred and determination flashed in Eric's eyes before he shifted his attention back towards Four. "The flag is right there." Eric mouthed while pointing at it when speaking and it made me realize just how close we had gotten to their flag.

"I will make a diversion. A disturbance that will take their attention—then you run for that damn flag." Eric turned back to me. "If I lose another game to Four, it will not bode well for you." Eric threatens, though I heard an underlying playfulness underneath the seriousness. A large part of me understood his frustration but not his threat. I narrowed my eyes at him but nodded in agreement, understanding his words completely.

Eric nods as well before he moves away, remaining hunched down in a low crouch before he swiftly covered the distance between him and Four, who was still walking the other way. I watch Eric pick something up from the ground, tossing it in the opposite direction. The stone hit something metallic and the hollow clang sliced through the night. The noise notification makes Four spin around, still hunched in alarm with his gun raised high and pointing in the direction of the sound.

Four takes a single step forth when Eric throws another object, once again Four spins around, still hunched in alarm. "I know it's you Eric, ready to lose again." Four prompts quite arrogantly. It sparks a little anger within me, fueling my determination to win this round as I also move forward towards the flag. I knew low and out of sight as the two instructors battle it out. The way Four had moved show just how much of a difference there were between him and us.

When Four and Eric finally being shooting at each other, the figure standing guard in front of the flag, spins around also hunched in alarm to take in the scene. Their attention remains on the place where Four and Eric is now fighting. There's no hesitation in me and I use the moment to my advantage. I point the gun at the figure, still distracted by the two instructor's fighting. My finger clenched around the trigger, my weapon shooting for the first time. I hit my target in the chest—surprisingly hitting this time—and dashed forward, sprinting out from my hiding.

The figure had barely registered what had happened when I sprinted towards the flag. I hear the thump of something heavy landing on the ground as my fingers close around the fabric of the flag. I yank at it just as a searing pain emerge on my back, traveling straight down my spine. It made me sink to my knees while releasing a heart wrenching cry of pain. My body shook and tears swelled. Was this how it would feel like getting shot?

The stinging sensation didn't dull at all when I reached for the stim-dart now buried in my back. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" The panicked voice of Roxy reached my ears before she even reached me. "O? What the hell?" She groaned the last words, tossing herself to the ground, skidding to a halt on her knees right in front of. "I'm so sorry." She continued when her eyes found mine.

I held her gaze for a moment before hunching forwards, resting an elbow against the ground as my other hand yank the stim dart out. I cry out and discard it onto the ground. If this was how it felt like getting shot for real, I would definitely like to avoid ever having that experience.

I fought back the urge to cry by clenching my jaw and keeping my eyes tightly shut while I resting my forehead on my arm. I remained still for a few moments longer until a whistle roared through the city. It was the one signaling the match to be over. Quickly gathering myself, I straitened up and sat back down onto my legs. Roxy took the opportunity to wrap her arms around me, pulling me into a tight embrace while continuing her endless apologies.

"It's okay Rox." I ensured after I had forced her to release me again. Her eyes were glistening with tears. I knew she had just done what she had to do. She was the one guarding the flag and we had been on opposite teams. Even by that definition, enemies for a short while. It had luckily just been a game, and she needed to do what was expected of her. Otherwise how else would she keep her team from losing?

I pushed myself back up onto my feet, remaining in the crouched position for a second longer before I rose to my feet again. Roxy did the same, remaining close to me while still carrying the very apologetic look on her face. "I'm sorry, but you're still a bad shot." She pointed at the stim dart buried in her vest. It hadn't even pierced it. I groaned loudly and turned away from her.

When we both straightened up, we could see how the others slowly began arriving around us, many had small limps and groaned loudly in pain after having been shot with the stim dart. It was definitely an experience that we would all learn from. This had prepared us for a real gunshot wound. Even so, I truly dreaded the day I would actually get shot.

When Four emerged in the crowd, it was without Eric. I raised an eyebrow, half expecting the dauntless leader to appear behind Four, but he didn't. "Great job." Four comment. "Eric's team win." Four then announced, though sounding a little disappointed. The dauntless on Eric's team doesn't hesitate to voice their excitement and joy for winning this years match. Their excited whoops pierce the night and a shy smile tug on my lips.

"You're a genius!" An unknown voice boomed from the crowd and the dauntless born, who I quickly identified as Tadeo, emerged. I smiled at him just as he bend down, picks me up as if I was nothing to placed me on his shoulders. Tadeo loudly laugh beneath me as the remainder of our team surrounds us. "Your plan worked, they didn't even get near the flag." He cheered loudly.

Eric's team all voiced their celebration quite loudly, even louder when I waved the green flag above my head. It lightened up the night and the faces around me. It brought another kind of thrill with it, warming every crevice of my body. I had been helpful for once and I really liked this feeling coursing through me.

I liked winning. It was not half bad.

From where I was seated on Tadeo's shoulder, I was soon able to see Eric emerge behind a large metal object. He took a moment to lean up against it with one hand for support before he limped towards us all, while angrily pulling out a stim dart from his chest area. He tossed it aside to the ground with what looked like a furious growl. He looked like one who had taken a serious beating whereas Four hardly looked dirty. Four must've given him a good fight. There was no denying that fact. Four was a strong fighter. I would not like to see them fight for real one day. Their fight would be something to behold, if they ever did fight for real.

And how I also wished to have been able to witness their fight tonight. Not that I wanted to watch Eric get beaten, but I wanted to watch how two dauntless moved and acted in such a situation. They were both great fighters, each with their strengths and weakness. My eyes remained on Eric, rendering me a little oblivious to what was happening beneath me until Tadeo shifted, allowing me to slide down from his shoulder.

Roxy was at my side almost instantly. "So, it was your defense plan? You, sneaky little Erudite!" Roxy grinned widely, showing off her straight white teeth. I returned her smile, feeling just a little bit proud that it had been me who had helped with the plan, though I longed to take the full credit, Eric had gathered up all the lose strings. And actually procured a plan.

Tadeo then placed a hand on my shoulder, forcing me to shift my attention to him. "Great win. I feared we would lose because Eric lost to Four last year, and I dreaded being picked by him." Tadeo explained as a dauntless born girl approached as well. I was almost certain her name was Ly. She had been the one holding the flag earlier.

"Tadeo, remember to collect those points from Cameron. I'm definitely going to collect the ones from my sister right now." Ly only had eyes for Tadeo for a while but when she finished speaking, she turned to me. "Not bad transfer, keep it up and I might one day forget that you were a one."

It was quite far from an insult, and coming from a dauntless it was almost a compliment. The girl grinned even wider before sidestepping Tadeo and turned back to the crowd of people behind us. I watched her attack another dauntless born, throwing her arms around the girl's neck. That had to be her sister.

"Excellent game everyone." Four claps his hands together again, gaining the attention of everyone quite quickly. It had become a thing of his. "You will have the remainder of the day off today to rest before we will resume training tomorrow morning." Four announced. His words resonated deeply within me. This would allow me to recover just a bit more before we would be pushed towards the breaking point again.

The loud roar of cheers from the dauntless born and the hushed, relieved groans from the transfer initiates mixed with each other. Everyone was excited in their own way. It was quite relieving to know that we would have the next day off, to go explore, sleep in and just do whatever we wanted.

"The next train will be here in five minutes, so I'll suggest you get moving right now!" Eric suddenly snapped beside Four. Everyone became deadly quiet. Once again the way people acted made me certain Eric was feared and not respected as a leader. "Get moving, or you will have to run back to the compound." Eric continued in a sneer. "Now, get out of my sight." He threatened.

Wasting no more time, everyone hurriedly turned towards the train tracks. Eric's foul mood had not been easily mistaken. Ignoring the numbing ache in my body, I pushed myself faster. I pushed myself to run even faster than most others and to be one of the first to stop by the train tracks, already longing for a warm shower once we returned to the compound.

Turning my right wrist sideways, I cast a glance at the watch there. It portrayed the time, 02:38 a.m. We had been out here for almost three hours. I blew out a breath and crossed my arms against my chest. This had been quite the experience for all of us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

241 30 10
'It's time for the villans to have all the fun' Meeting Eric was one big kick up the ass. He is the definition of Cocky. Heavy heady and one big ass...
2.2K 89 13
What will happen when a young girl, Emily, cuts her hand and spills blood over the burning coals will she rise to the top or fall below? and when she...
3.4K 76 36
17 year old Delilah became a member of dauntless last year. This new year, she is a leader. One of the initiates-an erudite transfer- has an inkling...
7.2K 129 16
||Set pre-Divergent. I own nothing except for Tempest (Storm) Eaton, her plotlines, and some side characters that don't belong to Veronica Roth.|| ||...