a Primal Pursuit

By XDeafening_SilenceX

When the wolves took over the world over a hundred years ago, millions of humans were killed, with survivors... More

coming soon
one
two*
three
four
five
six
seven
eight *
nine
ten*
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty *
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four **
twenty five
twenty six*
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty*
fifty one
fifty two
fifty three
fifty four
fifty five
fifty six
fifty seven
fifty eight
fifty nine
sixty
sixty one
sixty two
sixty three
sixty four
sixty five
sixty six
sixty eight
sixty nine
seventy
seventy one
seventy two
seventy three
seventy four
seventy five
seventy six

sixty seven

2.9K 221 23
By XDeafening_SilenceX

Mya and I were in a standoff, neither of us making the first move. For the past hour, I had followed her gruelling exercise routine. Sweat had poured off of me faster than Niagara falls, to the point I had removed my shirt and stood facing her in only my sports bra and cycling shorts. It had distracted her momentarily, her eyes lighting up as I placed my feet on the mat.

"Something you like?" I teased, smirking at her.

Her lips pulled into a taunting smirk. "I can appreciate a fellow specimen."

Laughing, I shook my head. "Are we doing this or what?"

"I don't know. We seem to just be admiring each other."

I licked my lips, feeling bold with her. "Who said I was admiring?"

Her smirk dropped, eyes narrowing with warning. I grinned, watching as her hands curled into fists. There was a moment's pause, my chest heaving for breath as I awaited her response.

With a sharp, short snarl, she made the first move.

My eyes locked onto her arms as they aimed for my midsection, and I counteracted by grabbing hold of her wrists. Jumping the moment her fingers brushed my waist, I successfully forced her downward, my knee connecting to her chest. She puffed out a sharp breath as I then shoved her backward, her hands losing any advantage over me.

Her eyes darkened as she glowered at me, before we both charged at each other.

The first to pin for five seconds won.

It was simple.

Our bodied collided, neither of us being able to pin. She punched, I kicked, she dodged, I missed. It was a battle of wits; a battle of strength and wits. We fought tooth and nail, my hands scratching as her skin as her teeth chattered with frustration. My ribs ached with every hit, my calves burning as I fought to stay upright.

My bare feet were sweating, leaving patches across the mats. Sweat dripped into my eyes, the stragglers of my hair wafting up my nose. Mya was lucky her hair was braided and slick and out of the way. It momentarily blinded me, and that gave her the upper hand, swiping out my knees with her foot.

My bones rattled as I flew sideways, landing harshly on my side. A whoosh of air escaped my lungs as they ached with the impact, and I had no time to complain as Mya followed in canon. She was atop of me, her hands wrapping around my wrists as she fought to pin them to my sides. She was trying to use our weight to her advantage instead of her strength; the wolf's heavy breath in my ear.

Heart racing, I struggled to get out of her grip. I buckled my knees, sliding one out of her cage and forcing it to her chest. Mya snarled, baring her teeth in my face. I bared mine back, my throat vibrating with what I hoped to be a growl. I felt it swirling in my gut, a warm annoyance that fuelled the adrenaline in my veins.

I felt my strength, and I clutched onto it, inhaling deeply as my pulse throbbed in my temple. A growl of my own tumbled from my lips, and Mya's dark eyes briefly flashed with confusion.

I rolled my arms with a harsh shove, freeing it from Mya's grip. She slipped her hold, and I took the momentary distraction to swipe my elbow into her thorax. She gasped for breath, her eyes widening with surprise. My other hand freed the same time as my knees, and I wrapped them around her waist. Using my thighs as my strength, I arched my back and threw my weight into it.

As hard as I could, I threw her backward, my grip on her waist secure as I followed. She tumbled, her back smacking into the mat with a harsh crack. Her eyes fluttered with pain, and I wrapped my feet around her knees, pinning them. I forced one arm behind her back, the other pinning her wrist above her head. Leaning forward, I forced my spare hand into her upper chest, keeping her down. If she wanted out, she could have to crack a few bones.

Her eyes were wide with shock as she looked up at me, her chest heaving into my sternum. I grinned lazily, knowing I had her pinned. Sweat dripped down my face, pooling in the dip of my breasts as I heaved for breath.

"Who's admiring who now?" I exhaled.

She bared her teeth, her head lurching to snap them in my face. I held strong, forcing more of my weight onto her as I counted down.

"Five...Four...Three..."

She growled, writhing harder as the numbers lessened.

"Two..."

Mya huffed, dropping her head as I murmured the final number. Her head turned in submission, her eyes lowering to glare at the far wall. I grinned, pushing a little more to rise from the ground. Mya was grumbling incoherent words as she pushed herself to sitting. Her hand fell to her chest, and she let out a sharp cough to clear her airways.

"How'd you even manage?" She grunted.

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"You say you learnt all of that out of a book?"

"I guess I did."

She eyed me strangely, casting her gaze from the top of my head to the tip of my toes. Her arms rested across her knees and she hummed deeply before pushing herself to stand.

"I think you lie," she stated.

I frowned. "Why would I lie?"

"You have had training."

I snorted a laugh. "In Evermore? Please, Mya, where would I learn that?"

"Human self-defence books from pre-war time would not give you the skills that you just performed." She shook her head, crossing her arms to appear intimidating. "Someone trained you."

That strange sinking feeling swirled in my gut again, a nagging in my mind that was urging me to listen. I held onto the unusual feeling, grasping it in my palm and pulling it to the surface. It was a nauseating annoyance of my mind that had my thoughts swirling with confusion.

This was not the first time someone had spoken about that book. It had barely been a day since Asra had mentioned his suspicions over my memories of what lay hidden under that floorboard. Whatever that witch had done to my mind had changed it so drastically, I wasn't even certain about the truth anymore.

My shoulders sagged as I sighed. "I don't remember anybody training me."

Mya shrugged in return, clapping me on the back. "Well, maybe you are just naturally gifted in the art of wolf sparring."

I laughed softly, shaking my head. "Yeah, maybe that's it."

***

Later that day, I lay in bed waiting for Asra to return. I had showered, had dinner with Mya, and then retired to my room. Staring up at the bland ceiling, I contemplated what it would be like to have a starlight window and gaze up at the stars. We were on the top floor of the pack house, but there would have to be a lot of demolition in the attic to be converted.

Maybe I could convince him?

"Day dreaming, Tulip?"

My head snapped to the side, a smile gracing my face at seeing my mate. It was the first I had seen of him all day, both of us being busy during mealtimes and otherwise.

"Hey," I breathed, sitting up.

He kicked off his shoes, pulling his shirt from his head as he approached the bed. With a soft, tired smirk, he stood at the side of the bed before flopping forwards. A loud gasp escaped my lips as his entire weight fell upon me, crushing my sore ribs, but I laughed, despite the fact he trapped my hands beneath me.

"Asra!" I complained. "You're heavy!"

He grumbled something into the duvet, refusing to move. I huffed, grunting as I fought to free my hands, and only when they were free did I sigh with relief. I pressed into his side, trying to roll him from my stomach, but failed in shifting the hippopotamus.

"Asra!" I groaned.

His chuckle did not go unmissed, vibrating my body through the duvet. He shifted his weight, turning his head to look up at me. I traced the dark bags beneath his eyes, my lips turning down with a soft sigh.

"You are working too much."

"I am alpha."

I rolled my eyes, poking at the crease between his brows as I mimicked him. "I am alpha."

His frown deepened, mouth opening to bite my finger. "Shush."

I laughed, pulling my finger away just in time. "I fought with Mya today."

Asra's interest peaked, eyes widening from their sleepy haze. "Oh?"

"Yeah."

He blinked up at me. "Well?"

"I shall tell you when you get your hippo ass off of me."

He growled, pushing himself up onto his elbows. "Hippo?"

"Prefer puppy?" I grinned, blinking innocently.

I hissed when he pushed himself across my torso, landing on the pillow beside me atop the duvet. He rolled onto his side, propping his head up on his palm.

"Well?" He insisted.

"Well?"

"Tulip!" He groaned. "Please, how did the fight go? Did she hurt you?"

"Oh, yeah, she got me good. My ribs ache all over, and I think she bruised my shoulder blade." I nodded.

His eyes narrowed, fingers skimming my stomach. "Broken bones?"

"Not that dramatic," I insisted. "I dodged most of them."

"You did?" He wondered, his eyes wide.

"I won, so of course I did." I teased.

"Again?" He pondered, thinking about that last time I fought against Mya.

"Yeah, this one was tougher, though. She made me do an entire workout, thinking after that I would lose, but look, I won." I grinned, pointing to myself. "Again."

"I am impressed at your stamina," Asra grinned. "What did Mya say?"

"It did not impress her," I mused.

"I bet," He chuckled. "Mya's ego gets bruised easily. She is rarely one to lose."

"She's a warrior. Of course, she isn't one to lose." I agreed.

"And yet, you, a human, beat her." He raised his eyebrows. "Tell me how."

I frowned before obliging and telling him what happened during the spar, and how I had taken her down swifter than she expected. He was listening intently, the crease in his brow only deepening as my explanation registered in his mind. I hesitated as I mentioned how Mya found my past just as suspicious as he did, my words drifting off at the end.

"Did she seem overly suspicious?" He wondered.

"Only normal. She ended it with a joke," I shrugged. "Typical Mya."

He hummed. "If she gets too suspicious, it could be risky."

"How so?"

"She could gather information, working against us." He shrugged.

I actually laughed so loud my ribs ached and it finished with a wheeze. Asra, however, barely blinked at me, his expression so serious it sobered me up instantly.

"You aren't joking." I stated.

He sighed, rolling onto his back. "You don't know who your enemies are until they crawl out of the shadows and by then, it is too late."

"I don't know about that. All of my enemies seemed dead set on making themselves known." I shook my head.

"But what if the people you thought were against you were not?" He muttered. "Those you think are your enemies are not your true enemies?"

The room fell silent, only the gentle whooshing of my breath noticeable. I was staring at the side of his face as he frowned up at the roof, and I followed his gaze to look up too. That strange swirling came again, and I wondered if perhaps I just had indigestion or something.

"What happened during the meeting?" I mumbled quietly. "What did you find?"

Silence again.

His chest expanded before falling heavily. "Everett spoke of secret missions that Augustus would often employ his wolves to take part in. Being the strongest alpha with the most numbers, it was easy for him to penetrate various human locations. His father was one of the original wolves that started the Great War."

"He was?"

"He was," Asra nodded. "Augustus may appear friendly, but there are hidden agendas that even Everett is not aware of. He thinks that what Evangeline saw in her vision of your father moving to Evermore relates to Flynn's absence."

"He thinks it could be the same person." I stated.

Asra nodded mutely and my breath shook as I exhaled. My mouth seemed to dry with unease, so I swallowed down the lump in my throat. I had to speak my mind, otherwise it would eat me up inside. Asra was my mate. He would understand, right?

"I... don't trust Everett." I muttered.

His head snapped toward me, a soft grumble leaving his lips. "You don't trust your gamma?"

I cleared my throat to rid myself of the nerves. I knew how much he promised to never hurt me, how he would always listen to me. But a part of me feared the repercussions of going against his wishes, of bringing down his choice in placing his trust in somebody.

But this was Asra. And Asra wasn't Darius.

Asra wasn't Darius.

"I don't," I repeated.

Asra paused, and I avoided looking at his face. "Look at me, Ailia, when you say such words."

I swallowed and slowly tilted my head to look at him. His blue eyes had darkened, pupils expanding with the telltale sign of his irritation.

Asra wasn't Darius.

And I was the goddamn luna.

Raising my chin, I levelled our gazes. "I do not trust Gamma Everett."

A low growl rumbled his chest, and he gritted his teeth as he spoke. "Why? Tell me why you do not trust the man who earned holds my gamma title. Tell me why you think I should not speak with him about this when he has a direct link to your past."

He was agitated, but I stood my ground. Doing so would always be difficult, but I constantly reminded myself that I had my own rights. My own opinions, just like he said before.

"Something doesn't feel right." I stated. "Plus, he told Olive what we spoke of."

"He told her the basics," He scoffed. "As any mate would speak of when questioned why they are summoned by their alpha so much."

Shaking my head, I rose to sit. "I was with her earlier. She told me she knew Everett was looking into my past. I asked her what she knew, but when she answered, I could taste her lies on my tongue."

"Does it matter if he told her so?" He probed.

I scoffed. "Yes. It is confidential. He should not be discussing my private matters. How would you feel if I told everyone about your mother, your brother... how your father treated you?"

His throat bobbed, and I felt his mood shifted. "I... I wouldn't be happy."

"Right. So why should Everett get to tell my matters to someone else?" I sighed. "Plus, he always looks at me funny."

I noticed Asra's lips quirk ever so slightly. "Looks at you funny?"

"Yeah, like I am a specimen."

"That is just how Everett looks at people. That's nothing to look into." He smirked.

"Either way, something just doesn't feel right." I frowned. "Even you said enemies hide in the dark until it is too late."

He paused, silence echoing in the room. "I can test your theory. I will send him on a false trail, and we can see what he comes up with."

"A false trail?" I turned to face him.

He appeared drained, over-tired and over-worked, but he managed a smile. "You don't trust him, and I trust you. If you fear his alliance, then I shall see what I can do."

I felt the stress fall from my shoulders in deep tumbles, rolling down my spine and away from me. My spine softened, lungs deflating as an ache in my shoulders started from how hard I had been tensing.

"Thank you for listening to me," I mumbled.

"Of course, Tulip." He smiled. "You and your gut shall not go unnoticed."

I laughed softly, bending down to kiss him. "Good, now go to sleep, hippo."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

768K 19.9K 51
I closed my eyes ready for my death when I heard a very loud and dangerous growl, I swear I felt the ground under me shook by it. I opened my eyes qu...
1M 42.7K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...
45.4K 2K 84
As Lycan's were hunted and killed off a thousand years ago, now humans, and werewolves shall learn what a true Lycan is. All things made a new, now i...
779 18 4
Giorgio Vincenzo Lazzaro He's the Alpha of Luna d'argento pack. He's 24 and he's completely given up on the ideas of mates because an Alpha usually m...