Lonely Hearts Club

By EloiseMunson

Eddie Munson has no time for a personal life, let alone a romantic one. He has no time - between the shop he'... More

Knight in Shining Armor
What are the Odds?
This One is Different
Shakespeare
Out of Practice
Making Impressions
Liquid Courage
Walking
Psychopaths and Making Time
Movie Education
The Bet
Making Moves
Mystery
Just One More
Keeping Tabs
Breakfast
The Mystery Girl
A Promise
Eyeliner
Secret Girlfriend
So Cute
First Night Out
Impressive
Clear-Headed
Stratosphere
Evaluation
Caught
Chances
The First Morning
We've Got Time
Starting Over
Two Hooligans
Parties
Productive
Cool Big Brother
Meatloaf
The Words
What Did You Say?
Lucky
Skimpy
Squandering Youth
Bad at Being Mad
Sprinkle Cake Day
Big Night In
Your Fault
Responsibility
A Wreck
Bad Moods
No Crying
Big and Romantic
Just As Insane
Plenty of Time
Interrogation
Home

This Happy

192 14 1
By EloiseMunson

Dolly waved her hand in my face, asking for a piece of tape without verbalizing it. I smiled up at her, tearing a piece off and handing it to her, watching her as she tacked the streamers we had bought together. I set my hand on the small of her back, winking at her as she smiled down at me.

I looked over to make sure Matty and Maggie were turned away from us, and quickly slid my hand to Dolly's butt to squeeze it. Dolly yelped, and Matty and Maggie turned to us. I shrugged, feigning ignorance. Dolly leaned down to me, setting her hands on my shoulders.

"You better watch it, Mr. Munson," she teased. I raised an eyebrow and smirked at her.

"Big talk coming from you – I'm pretty sure your hands live on my ass," I joked. Her jaw dropped and she turned bright red. I laughed and kissed her quickly. She grinned and I helped her down, keeping my arm around her waist. We turned to Maggie and Matty, and Maggie beamed excitedly.

"What do you think?" Dolly asked Maggie. Maggie squealed with excitement.

"It's so cute!" Maggie exclaimed, practically jumping in place. I grinned, pulling Dolly closer to me. I kissed the top of Dolly's head, thrilled with how excited my baby sister was.

"Alright, kid – looks like you're all set for tomorrow night," I announced. She grinned at me.

"Thank you, Eddie – I'm so excited," she gushed. I glanced at Matty – he was staring at her with a smitten look. He was careful not to touch her in front of me, but still unable to look at her, absolutely lovesick.

"I'm excited for you, kid," I replied emphatically. "Alright, let's start the real birthday celebrations!"

Although Maggie was having a birthday party with her friends tomorrow night, today was actually her birthday. She had begged me to invite Dolly and Matty – I enthusiastically agreed to Dolly's presence and reluctantly to Matty's. We were going to have her favorite meal – my meatloaf – and a vanilla cake that Dolly had made her. She and Matty had come home from school, chattering about the weekend ahead of them. We had agreed to all working together to set up for the party, and then do the smaller celebration tonight.

Dolly followed me to the kitchen, giggling as I reached back and grasped at her. She helped me plate the food, leaning into me when I kissed the side of her face. I stepped behind her, pretending to reach for something, but instead pressed into her back, trapping her between me and the counter. She gasped as I nuzzled into her neck. I started kissing her shoulder, and she leaned back into me.

"Are you excited to give her your present?" she asked quietly. I felt my stomach drop.

Maggie's new car was parked behind the trailer – Dolly had come to pick me up from the trailer before Matty and Maggie got home so I could drive the new car back, and hide it before Maggie got him. I was so proud when I was driving it – it was so cool, and it drove like a dream.

"I hope she will like it," I replied. Dolly turned to me, furrowing her brows.

"You're joking, right? That car is incredible," she insisted. My mouth twisted into a smile, and I kissed her hard. When I pulled back, she was goofy and dazed. "You're quite lovey today."

I shrugged and stepped to the side of her to finish the plates.

"I'm in a good mood," I replied. I felt my face burn and let out a sigh. "I've been in a good mood for a while."

I looked at Dolly, and she was beaming at me.

"You are so cute," she gushed. I grinned and quickly kissed her. I nodded towards the hallway, and she understood, carrying two of the plates.

We got out to the dining room, and Maggie was beaming at us.

"For the birthday girl!" Dolly cheered, setting the first plate in front of Maggie.

She set the other plate in front of Matty – Maggie had insisted on a new seating arrangement. My chair at the head, Dolly's to the left of me, and her and Matty's to the right of me, right next to one another. I decided to be patient with the set-up, especially since it was her birthday.

Dolly and I sat down, and I clapped my hands together.

"Alright, dig in!" I insisted.

We all started in on our meals, laughing and joking around with one another. Matty had gotten so much more comfortable around us, which I was happy for. He was a nice kid, and he so badly wanted my approval. I had started softening on him, especially because of how he treated Maggie. We finished our meals, and Dolly shot up.

"Alright – give me your plates. I'll clean up!" Dolly announced. I tried standing, but she tapped my shoulder, encouraging me to sit down. She took our plates and bustled away.

I listened to Maggie and Matty talk, giggling and saying silly things. I smiled, wondering if this is how Dolly and I were together.

"Alright – get ready!" Dolly announced. We all turned, and Dolly was slowly marching in with the cake she had made. It had bright purple icing, and the candles were lit. She started singing, and we all joined in.

By the end of the song, Dolly was next to Maggie, and set the cake in front of her. Maggie was grinning ear to ear, almost overwhelmed with emotion. Dolly grinned at Maggie.

"Happy birthday, Margaret," Dolly said quietly. Maggie looked at her and quickly threw her arms around Dolly. Dolly was surprised, but smiled and hugged her back. My heart caught at how my two favorite people cared so much for one another. Dolly pulled back and stood straight. "Make a wish!"

Maggie squeezed her eyes shut, taking in a deep breath. She was quiet for about ten seconds, and then she blew her candles out. We all cheered, and Dolly took her cake, going to sit down next to me again. She started cutting the cake, handing the first slice to Maggie. Dolly cut each of us a slice, and we all dug in.

"Oh, my god, Dolly – this cake is awesome!" Matty abruptly announced. We all laughed, and he grinned nervously. Dolly smiled kindly at him.

"Thank you, Matty," Dolly quipped. We finished our cake, and I looked at Maggie.

"Time for presents?" I asked. Maggie nodded enthusiastically at me. Matty cleared his throat and started fumbling in his pockets.

"Um, okay, uh, I c-can go f-first," he said awkwardly. "I'm r-really s-sorry if you don't l-like it."

He handed Maggie a small, poorly wrapped box. Maggie's mouth twisted into a large smile. She took the box and quickly unwrapped it. She froze for a moment, and then she opened the box. She gasped quietly, and she looked back up at Matty, her eyes crinkled.

"Matty – these are too much," she said quietly. I raised my eyebrows. He turned bright red, looking down at his lap and shaking his head.

"It's n-no big d-deal, I j-just picked up some extra shifts," he explained. Maggie looked at us and showed us what was in the box.

Matty had gotten her a pair of stud earrings with a bright blue gemstone in the middle of each one. My jaw dropped – I was officially impressed by a Harrington. Maggie took a deep breath in and turned to Matty. She leaned close to him, but froze, and slowly leaned back. I grinned.

"You can kiss him," I encouraged, understanding what she was about to do.

She grinned and kissed Matty quickly. He was giddy and bright red when she pulled back. I looked at Dolly, and she beamed at me. I took her hand, squeezing it softly. Dolly cleared her throat and slid a neatly wrapped box towards Maggie.

"For you, Margaret," Dolly announced. Maggie furrowed her brows.

"You didn't have to get me anything, general," Maggie insisted. Dolly shook her head.

"Of course, I did!"

Maggie grinned and unwrapped the gift, quickly opening the box. Her jaw dropped.

"Oh, my god – this is too much, too!" Maggie exclaimed. Dolly grinned excitedly. Maggie pulled the small, gold bracelet we had picked out together. Maggie looked at Dolly, overwhelmed again. "Thank you so much, Dolly."

Dolly nodded, and she squeezed my hand. I let out a deep breath and stood from the table.

"Alright, kid – my gift might not be as nice," I hinted. Maggie furrowed her brows. "Come on – follow me."

I felt my heart race as we went out the front door and walked to the back of the trailer. I cleared my throat, turning to Maggie, and putting on a show.

"Now, if you want to return it, it might be difficult," I joked. We finally got to the back, and Maggie froze.

"Oh, my god," she exclaimed. "Oh, MY GOD!"

She raced by me, practically throwing herself onto the hood of the car. She looked at me.

"This is for me? You got this for me?" she shrieked, over the moon. I grinned, my chest tightening with pride.

"I built it for you," I answered. Her eyes widened, and they filled with tears.

"You built this for me?" she croaked.

I nodded excitedly. She ran to me and threw her arms around me, engulfing me in the kind of hug she used to give me when she was little. I hugged her tightly to me, enjoying the feeling of her being my baby sister once again. She pulled back, tears running down her face.

"Thank you so much, Eddie, I love it so much," she cried. I grinned and ruffled her hair.

"Anything for my baby sister," I replied, worried if I said anything more, I would also start crying. I pulled the keys out of my pocket and handed them to her – Dolly had helped me pick out a heart keychain that matched the color of the car.

"Oh, my GOD, I am going to look SO cool!" she exclaimed. She raced to the driver's side of the car and looked at me. "Can I drive it?"

"Just around the trailer park," I replied. I decided to throw her a bone. "You can take Matty, if you want."

She smiled bashfully.

"Can...can I take you?" she asked. 

A smile broke across my face, and I nodded. I cleared my throat, worried I would start crying from her gesture. I jogged to the passenger's side and climbed in with her. I started showing her all the things that were special about her car, smiling as she got more and more excited about everything.

"Hey, you two – look at me!" Dolly chirped.

We looked at her, and she was holding up a polaroid camera. I set my arm around Maggie's shoulder, and she leaned into me. We both smiled widely at Dolly, and the flash went off. Dolly watched as the camera printed, walking over to Maggie's side. She was beaming at the photo and leaned over the door.

"I think you should keep this one in your visor," Dolly said quietly. Maggie grinned at the photo and showed it to me.

My heart caught at not only how similar me, and my baby sister looked, but how beautiful and grown up she was now. I grinned at her, and she took the photo and tucked it into the visor. I clapped my hands together and buckled my seatbelt.

"Let's hit the road!"

---

We were all draped over the couches, coupled up with our respective partners.

After we drove around the trailer park, after Maggie had shrieked multiple times during the drive about how cool she looked and what a cool big brother I was, Maggie asked if we could end her birthday night with a movie night. And much to Dolly's dismay, she had insisted on the The Exorcist.

Dolly was clinging to me, gasping at each even remotely scary part. I kept pressing soft kisses into the side of her face and neck, cooing assurances to her. I was thankful for the distraction, not only because I enjoyed how close we were, but because I couldn't see how close Maggie and Matty were. Dolly jumped again, and I grinned as I pulled her closer.

The movie finally ended, and Dolly let out a sigh of relief. I kissed her quickly, and stood, pulling her up with me. Maggie looked at me, momentarily sad.

"You don't want to watch another movie?" she asked. I smiled and shook my head.

"Thought you and Matty could enjoy the rest of your birthday together," I explained. She grinned excitedly. I pointed at Matty. "Out of here by—"

"Eleven, I know, sir," Matty insisted respectfully. I grinned, suddenly feeling charitable.

"Out of here by midnight," I replied. Matty's eyes widened, and Maggie squealed excitedly.

"Thank you, Eddie!" she chirped, hopping up and throwing her arms around my neck. I hugged her tightly. "I love you, weird one."

"Love you so much, kid," I said quietly. I dropped her, and she went to hug Dolly, as well. Once the pulled back, Dolly took her hand, and admired the new bracelet around her wrist.

"Looks great, Margaret," Dolly quipped. Maggie beamed at her wrist.

"I love it, Dolly, really," Maggie insisted. I took Dolly by the waist, guiding her to my room.

"Night, kids!" I called over my shoulder, closing the door behind us. Dolly turned to me, slipping her arms around my neck. I snaked my hands around the small of her back. She grinned at me, swaying with me.

"You, my sweet, beautiful, boy, are a wonderful brother," she complimented. My mouth twisted into a smile, and I pressed my lips to hers.

"I love you," I replied quietly. Her eyes crinkled.

"I love you, good lookin'," she insisted. I started guiding her to the bed, tossing her on it when we got close. She gasped, and I quickly crawled on her. I held myself over her, getting close to her face.

"Now – I want to cash in on all of my 'lovey-ness' from today," I whispered before kissing her hard. She kissed me back harder, throwing her arms around my neck. Our fervor had picked up, and I was struck by a sudden thought.

I don't think I had ever been this happy. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.3K 1.8K 34
Y/N Henderson lived a secluded and plain sailing life, but when your younger brother Dustin blackmails you into joining a D&D game with none other th...
27.2K 1K 72
You move to Hawkins to repeat your final year of high school after being sent to live with your cousin Dustin and Aunt after your Nan becomes too ill...
7.7K 323 26
"I've been... seeing things." Eddie's eyes immediately brightened, and he turned to look at you slowly. "What kind of things?" His face was stern, a...
7.3K 319 17
Y/N Henderson has decided to move back in with her mom and brother for senior year following an argument with her dad. She hopes the transition to Ha...