THE GRAND BET

By Canery_Blue8

After an ugly incident, the Twin prides of Yunmeng finds themselves tied to the two Jades of Lan. In a modern... More

Chapter 1: End Of Year Party
Chapter 2: Fighting
Chapter 3: Not A Secret.
Chapter 4: From Frying Pan To Fire
Chapter 5: Inconvenience
Chapter 6: One Last Reproof
Chapter 7: New Schedule
Chapter 8: A Jade's Promise
Chapter 9: Winds Of Change
Chapter 10: Before The Games
Chapter 11: Let The Games Begin
Chapter 12: Motivation.
Swimming In Regret
Chapter 13: Open Competition.
Chapter 14: I Miss You
Chapter 15: A Yu-tastrophe
Chapter 17 : Is Your Love In Trouble?

Chapter 16: A Yu-tastrophe II

316 41 34
By Canery_Blue8

Gusu

 Huaisang found Jiang Cheng in a lecture hall. Wei Ying was out of sight and Yanli was in the middle of another lecture elsewhere.

Huaisang: "I have to pick up some films at the art department. I could use your help." 

"Not interested, find someone else." Jiang Cheng was more invested in a book.

"Come on. It won't take long. You're my best friend and I can't trust anyone else to defend me," Huaisang said.

"What do you mean?" Jiang Cheng raised his eyebrows.

"There's this dude who keeps hounding me, and I'm scared he might try to do something if I go alone," Huaisang said.

 Jiang Cheng could never let his friend get bullied, Huaisang knew that too well.

"Why didn't you say anything about this?"

"It's embarrassing. I'm a wimp who can't even defend himself from getting harassed. At this time of day, there are hardly any students in the media room, and I don't want to take that chance."

"Tsk! Let's go." Jiang Cheng stood up, shoving the rest of his books in his backpack. "You're not supposed to condone such actions, Huaisang. I dare this bully to make eye contact with you while I'm there."

"Let's use the route through the theatre. I'm pretty sure he will be standing in one of the hallways," Huaisang said when they reached the art block.

"Good." Jiang Cheng cracked his knuckles and went along with him, hoping for some violence.But as they went a little further, Huaisang suddenly stopped. "Jiang Cheng, I just recalled something important. That guy does not show up on Wednesdays. Shoot. I'm so sorry for dragging you into this."

"Stop apologizing. That bastard will eventually taste my fist when he shows up." Jiang Cheng promised. Huaisang laughed it off and told him to wait for him when they reached one of the doors leading to the theatre. "I won't take long," he said.

After a while of tapping his feet and leaning against the wall, Jiang Cheng decided that pacing back and forth would help with the fatigue. Already bored, he decided to peep at the theatre when he heard faint noises. He assumed it was some students rehearsing.

'Oh, it's just two people chatting.' Jiang Cheng was about to close the door when he caught a glimpse of a face he did not want to see. What was Lan Xichen doing in an empty room, holding another omega's hands? Jiang Cheng stood there unnoticed, listening to them.

Meng Yao: "I want you."

Xichen: "You own this moment, but another will have this lifetime. That is my fate and I cannot change it."

Meng Yao: "I do not mind if you hide me from your family."

Xichen: "That wouldn't be fair to you."

Meng Yao: As long as you look at me with this loving gaze, I know where your heart belongs."

Xichen: "With you?"

"Yes." Meng Yao smiles with tears in his eyes. "With me," he said.

Jiang Cheng was appaled. He stared in disbelief as his mate-to-be got closer to that omega. The very same one Xichen denied. 

Jiang Cheng's jaw clenched so hard it threatened to pop as he listened to the words coming out of their mouths. The last straw was seeing the two get uncomfortably close. Xichen was leaning lower while the omega reached high with his lips.

Jiang Cheng's heart rippled in effect, his head throbbing from the sight. Like clockwork, his rage reacted on his behalf.Jin Guangyao suddenly experienced a great pull and received a slap across the face.

"Jiang Cheng!" Lan Xichen was surprised by this sudden development. Before he could attempt to save Jin Guangyao, Jiang Cheng grabbed his wrist and dragged him out of there.

Jiang Cheng didn't have a plan then, but he continued tugging at the jade down the corridors. He tried the knobs on every door on their way- most of which were locked. When one budged open he immediately shoved Xichen inside and shut the door.

Xichen slicked his dishevelled hair back, confused by what had happened. Yet he fought hard to stay calm. Jiang Cheng was not ready for explanations, he only wanted to yell out his thoughts. 

"Even so, you have no right to hit people whenever you get the urge. Violence solves nothing," Xichen said.

Jiang Cheng walked up to him and did exactly that; swinging a fist right into Xichen's nose. This left Xichen tumbling to the ground...

******

Back at Lan Lingjin, the tension was palpable. Fengmian was under a lot of heat after discovering what his wife did the other night. They argued about it and reconciled. 

When Madam Yu asked about where he heard the alleged rumours, the man fumbled endlessly.

Nothing changed the next day. Madam Yu would show up in the garden and make a mess of Madam Lan's leisure.

Madam Lan was not one to indulge in altercations, but when it went on the third time, she did not stay mute. It took both husbands to suppress the feud. Afterwards, Madam Yu got so furious she gave her husband the cold shoulder.

Seeing his plans fall apart, Fengmian whipped up all the sweet words he could find, but that just made him look more suspicious.

"How about we head to the private pool? Just you and me," he said.

"We have one at home. I'll swim there."

"My Queen, don't be sour."

"And why not, Fengmian? You know what that woman has been saying behind my back; you could at least stand by me. How will it look if I let such an attitude slide, huh? Then every roach out there will think they can challenge me."

"Dear, I never mentioned Lan Lihua as the culprit."

"Then whom else could it be? Why won't you just spit it out!" Madam Yu yelled in a nagging voice.

"Because there was no such thing! I made it up!" Fengmian cracked like an egg. Madam Yu was stunned for a moment, her hands suddenly pressing down her lips as she came to terms with that confession. Had she accused Lihua wrongly, she wondered.

"Even so, that woman has always been trying to out-best me. The...there has to be some truth in that," Madam Yu said.

"I only wanted to get you out here so we can have a change of environment and make new wonderful moments as a couple. I'm sorry it made you so stressed," Fengmian reached out to hold her hand.

"Fengmian, if you touch me, I will forget that you're the father of my children." Madam Yu refused to accept that she had made a fool of herself for nothing. "And forget about your silly fantasies. I'm not sharing that bed with you for another night," Madam Yu said. Fengmian had to make do on the sofa that night.

The following day, Madam Yu felt like an oddball amongst her peers. She did not let it show, but every time she set eyes on Lihua, her insides burned with a different kind of rage. Besides that, she noticed everyone else was alert whenever she walked into a room. Yet, in all, Yu Ziyuan did not lose face or not do the things she usually would.

In the evening, Fengmian was pulled away with the men. He did worry about his wife; however, Master Jin was not letting him go. It was also an opportunity to apologize to Lan Qinghenjun for his wife's behaviour.

Master Lan treated it as trivial, stating that the women live in a totally different world. "It's a shame things turned out this way, but it is not over yet. Great friendships can be born out of the most ridiculous situations. I trust Lihua to make amends. My wife may not say it, but she holds great respect for your wife," Qinghenjun said.

"Madam Yu and Lihua? Friends? If that happens, then I would have seen it all." Fengmian forced a sad smile and nodded along.

After their usual, the men went into a game of poker in another private room where the women were not allowed. They did brush up on some important matters, but Jin Guangshan was rather eager to move on to the next agenda- which happened to be a very notorious secret. It would keep many of them entertained.

 Well, all but Jiang Fengmian and Qinghenjun, whose children were the stars of this show...

Madam Yu struggled to stay happy and enjoy the night. She hated it here. Yu Ziyuan was usually the belle of such gatherings and a strong organizer of charity events, but this time she was tight-lipped.

"Madam Yu, we could use your voice," Madam Jin said, seeing that her friend was not herself. Only then did Yu Ziyuan open her mouth. When it got to chatting and fun, Yu Ziyuan left the table altogether, saying that she needed to get some air.Coincidentally, when she stepped out through the back, the last person she wished to see was there, staring at the stars.

"Ugh!" She instantly turned around. Wrong or not, Madam Lan was not her favourite person. That was not going to change overnight.

"Madam Yu." Lan Lihua had long sensed her presence. "You don't have to leave on my account," she added.

"And who said I was leaving because of you?" Madam Yu turned back, defensive and indifferent.

Lihua took a long look at Yu Ziyuan before letting out her thoughts. Qinghenjun had calmed her down about the whole situation and she tried to take things from Madam Yu's perspective. "I like your necklace. It compliments your eyes."

"What the..." Madam Yu puffed out a gust, lost for words at that remark. "Is this some kind of joke? Are you trying to mock me because I've been calm all night?"

"You wore this to the first dinner. I thought it looked lovely on you."

"Shut up! Only my husband gets to give me such compliments," Madam Yu clenched her fists, her cheeks turning red with shame.

"Why are you so mean to me?" Madam Lan said. "The other day you accused me of gossip. I should be furious with you, Yu Ziyuan."

"Oh please, you haven't seen anything yet. I..." Madam Yu was suddenly distracted by a buzzing noise coming from her purse. She wouldn't have paid attention to it if it were not a unique ringtone for her little piggies. Her expression changed all the more when she checked her phone. Completely ignoring Madam Lan, she walks closer to the lawn to answer the call.

"A'Cheng... What is it? Slow down and talk to your mother." Madam Yu's tone stiffened slightly.

Lihua could not ignore the conversation given who was on the other line. And she very much wasn't done talking to Madam Yu.

"You did what?!" Madam Yu could not hold herself.

"Is Jiang Cheng okay?" Lihua got closer. "Let me talk to him."

"Shoo...leave me alone, now is not the time." Madam Yu held the phone away to get rid of the nuisance. But Lihua would not back down. She persistently pressed her ear to Madam Yu's, in an attempt to eavesdrop on the conversation.

Of course, Madam Yu did whisper swear words at her, but that too did not hold. In the end, she put it on loud to get some breathing space. Lihua had mixed feelings hearing that Jiang Cheng fought with Xichen. Jiang Cheng was so upset he pleaded with his mother to call off the wedding altogether if she loved him at all.

"So what? You're just going to give up because of some degenerate Lan Xichen is fixated on? Grow a backbone for once!" Madam Yu was quick to scold her boy.

Jiang Cheng: "Jin Guyangyao is not a degenerate. He is talented, pretty, and an omega who knows Lan Xichen more than I do."

"Son, hold on a second." Madam Yu hid the phone to glare at Madam Lan. "Have you been aware of this all along?"

"Huan and Jin Guangyao are just friends. He's my son, I would have known if it were more than that."

"Your cheating son has made my son upset. And here you are acting innocent. What do you have to say for yourself huh?" Madam Yu maintained her whispering voice.

"I won't be surprised if your son got the wrong idea. And after what I suffered at your hands, it wouldn't be shocking where he got it from." Madam Lan lost it for a second but then shook it off. "Listen to me, Jiang Cheng is perfect for my Huan, I just know it."

"Well, your Huan just messed up big time."

Jiang Cheng: "Mother, are you still there? Is this a bad time?"

"No, my child, just give me a second," Madam Yu went back to talking to his son but briefly looked at Lihua and said, "What ticks your son off the most?"

"What? I'm not letting you turn poor Jiang Cheng into a weapon."

"Shut up, what do you know? Do you want our sons to stay engaged or not?"

"..."

"Then do as I say." Madam Yu was harshly convincing at that point.

"Huan cannot stand rejection. Jiang Cheng would have to act like nothing happened and treat him like a total stranger. That will drive my son insane," Lihua explained. It was odd to see Madam Yu smirk with an approving look for once.

"Now listen to me. Nobody outshines my son. You do not back down for anybody." Madam Yu started. "I want you to stop sobbing. I'll send you the money first thing in the morning. Go get yourself pampered in a saloon and come out gorgeous Jiang Cheng. Be sure to be on Lan Xichen's radar at all times. But no matter what, do not talk to him!"

"Oh, and tell Jiang Cheng not to buy into a quick apology and explanation. We Lans are good at that. If you're going to punish Huan, it has to go on till he's at his breaking point. That will set him straight." Lihua whispered in addition.

Madam Yu did a great job relaying that seamlessly."Ziyuan. Don't forget to comfort Jiang Cheng, he's a sensitive boy. He needs more than tough love at the moment," Madam Lan said.

That comment strangely got to Madam Yu. She gradually let go of her strict persona, and it worked. Her son was less intense on the line.

"Jiang Cheng, you will be fine. Mother loves you. I won't allow any popsicle to steal your peace, okay? Goodbye." Madam Yu ended the call on a tender note.

Yu Ziyuan turned to Lihua once the phone was out of sight. They both stared into space for a moment, taking their time.

"So...are you going to tell me who it was?" Madam Lan went straight to the point.

"What?" Madam Yu rolled her eyes.

"Madam Yu, I understand we have different perspectives. I adore your children and would do everything to make them comfortable. The last thing I need is to get on the wrong foot with you. We have to be a better example to the boys, don't you think so?"

Madam Yu stalled, still battling the little demons in her loud head as she swayed back and forth. 

"It was Fengmian," she said.

That sure did cause Lihua's jaw to drop.

"Actually, Fengmian never mentioned you. That old fool tricked me so I would get out of the house. I was the one who assumed you were the sellout."

"Oh...so do I get an apology then?"

"Do not push it, lady," Madam Yu frowned. "I will compensate you another way."

"Another way you say?" Madam Lan chuckled at the woman's stubbornness."Yes." Madam Yu said.

"I was thinking of taking a walk in the woods. I might need a strong spider to protect me," Lihua drew closer, feeling light at heart. "We can also discuss our husbands and how to get the kids to stay together." She nudged Madam Yu on the shoulder playfully.

"Tch! Fine, I'll tag along! You better not tell anyone about this." Madam Yu, hating the fact that she is shorter, walked ahead of Madam Lan. The latter soon caught up, provoking her to bicker some more. 

******

Lan Wangji returned to the apartment to find his brother lying on the couch with a black eye and a broken nose.

"What happened to you?"

"Jiang Cheng," Xichen revealed. "I was helping Jin Guangyao rehearse his lines in the theatre, and well, it rubbed off my mate-to-be the wrong way."

"So you let him beat you up?" Lan Wangji said.

"Let's just say I deserved it for finding myself in that spot," Xichen said, almost mocking himself.

"Is this going to happen every time Jiang Cheng sees you with another omega? That's not healthy, brother."

"It's just a couple of kicks and punches," Xichen thought about how his afternoon went and smiled. "I assure you, it doesn't hurt," he added.

"I'll get the first aid kit." Lan Wangji took off and returned with the small box. As he rubbed ointment on the bruises, Wangji was forced to listen to his brother lament about how embarrassing it must have been for an innocent Jin Guangyao. Xichen was already looking for sincere ways to apologize to his old friend.

"Brother, do you have feelings for Jin Guangyao?" Wangji paused, already judging his brother with a stern gaze.

"Not you too... Why would you assume that, Wangji?" Xichen said, minding the cotton in his nose.

"You seem to be more worried about him than your betrothed."

"Jin Guangyao and I have known each other for years. It's not strange to worry about him, that is all there is to it. I find it unreasonable that Jiang Cheng expects me to stop being friends with him over this."

"Brother, unlike Wei Ying, who is annoyingly extroverted, your mate has boundaries. I've never seen Jiang Cheng go overboard, not even with the Wen siblings. Spending hours alone with Jin Guangyao might mean you are not respecting those boundaries." Lan Wangji never thought he would see the day he defends the angry lotus. "Jiang Cheng may be a maniac, but he doesn't act based on hearsay. At least not from my experiences with him," he added.

Those words did prick Xichen. He dug deep into his mind, reflecting on how poor his relationship with Jiang Cheng was. They may see each other on most days, but their interactions are depressing. Xichen was not quick to blame Jiang Cheng for what happened that day. If his brother had made such an observation, then Jiang Cheng's reasons may be valid.

"Wangji."

"Mn."

"Will you be going to the Jiang Mansion anytime soon?"

"They are throwing a party this Friday. They invited the whole school, so it won't be a problem if you show up."

"Haa, excellent. I'll use the chance to mend things and save myself," Xichen resolved, resting still while Lan Wangji finished.

Thanks for reading my precious reader. I'm sorry for any grammatical errors. I'm curious; do you think Jiang Cheng is being upset for no reason? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.1K 5.7K 29
[Completed] BOOK 2 OF WHERE I BELONG -A Modern AU- Seven years after the painful separation from his former lover, Wei Wuxian had determined to leave...
327K 12.2K 38
☁️🍂 Wei WuXian had always expected to marry a beautiful young woman at some point, but when his sister Jiang Yanli's upcoming wedding is canceled, h...
88.8K 6.4K 37
Genre: Fan fiction, Boy's Love Settings: China Synopsis: Wang Yibo is an heir of a leading big corporation in the country and was known as a cold hea...
4K 390 11
what will you do if an unexpected meeting of that certain child will lead you to remember your past self... will you still willing to try and remembe...