Secrets - [TAEBIN FF]

By btch_for_yeosang

What do you do when a friendship is based on secrets? That's what Soobin, with a cold face who cares for othe... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Interlude
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Finale
Author's Note 🤍

Chapter 21

106 10 28
By btch_for_yeosang

The next week was a lot more bearable than the last one. Soobin believed it was all thanks to that evening with Taehyun. It truly gave him motivation to propel himself through the next week.

He really is a light in my dark world, one I treasure with my whole being.

Out of random, Soobin looked at his phone for a quick second in class to check the time (the good old clock in the room was not working anymore) and realized the date: December 3rd.

"My birthday is in two days," he suddenly said, not forgetting to talk in a hushed tone.

His friends turned around.

"You're right!" Hoseok gasped.

"Only two more days till you're an adult!" Jungkook said.

Soobin sighed in relief.

"Finally. Hopefully then my parents will stop treating me like a child."

"Do you wanna do something? Or maybe the following week?" Hoseok asked.

He shrugged.

"No, not really. If I forgot my birthday even existed, I doubt there isn't much to look forward to."

Hoseok pursed his lips.

"Well, it'd still be nice to celebrate ya know?"

"I'll see."

The three immediately hushed up as soon as Soobin saw Mr Shun glaring at them for talking in his class.

At least make the subject more interesting you know.

"WAIT YOUR BIRTHDAY IS IN TWO DAYS?!?!"

Soobin winced as Taehyun yelled that sentence in the middle of the street (they were on their way to the café).

"Uhh yeah," he embarrassingly admitted.

Taehyun slapped his forehead.

"I'm so dumb; I forgot about it!"

"That's okay Tyun; birthdays are overrated anyway."

"No they're not!"

"Well, maybe for you," Soobin said while ruffling his hair.

Taehyun huffed and pouted cutely.

"I'm still gonna prepare you something. Should we meet up at our spot that day?"

"Umm sure."

If my parents don't suddenly decide to do something in the evening. Which I doubt they will. They don't even bother to ask me what I wanna do on time either.

"Okay! I promise it's gonna be a nice day!" Taehyun acclaimed, showing his fist in determination.

Soobin smiled.

"Every day is nice with you Tyun."

Taehyun, automatically (it was at this point a default response), blushed.

"Ah... thank you."

Soobin gave him a tight hug, to which he replied by wrapping both arms tightly around his middle. The couple just stood there, enjoying each other's warmth and presence in the cold wind of December, where it couldn't touch them.

"Bye Tyun; make sure to get home safely," Soobin said.

"I will; you too as well."

They shared meaningful smiles before parted their ways. Once Soobin was out of sight, Taehyun quickly fished out his phone, hid behind the café as there was a tiny alley where you can take the trash out, and dialed a number.

["Hello?"]

"Hey Mom, I'm getting my first paycheck today."

["Oh really?!"]

"Yeah, my boss told me last night, forgot to mention it. Anything you want from the grocery store, I'm planning to head there."

["Not that I can think of... why, what do you need?"]

Taehyun pursed his lips.

What can I get that is nice and affordable for us... half, no, most of the money needs to go into Yuna and Lia's treatment...

And then he realized what they could do.

"Hey Mom?"

["Yeah?"]

"How much yarn and candle wax do we still have?"

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

On Wednesday, Soobin woke up and saw the date on the righthand side of his alarm clock: December 5th.

A small smile formed on his face.

I can't believe it: I'm finally an adult.

Soobin got dressed into something nice and warm and headed downstairs. To his surprise, his parents were sitting downstairs in the dining room at their seats at the table, which was seemingly more nicely decorated than usual. There was nicer cutlery, a wider variety of food, and... flowers too?

They... remembered it was my birthday?

Strangely, Soobin felt pretty happy to see them.

Seems like they really did.

And at that moment they noticed him.

"Happy 18th birthday Soobin," Woohan greeted.

Soobin couldn't help but smile, the little child in him who seeked his parents' warmth waking up in him.

"Thank you Father."

"Come sit here. Now that you're an adult, we'd like to discuss a few things with you," Seolhyun said, gesturing for him to come closer.

Soobin nodded, and sat down at his usual spot while looking at his parents.

Fixing her posture, Soobin's mother began.

"Soobin, we have decided to grant you a bit more freedom now that you are no longer a child," she said.

His eyes eagerly brightened up.

"Really?!" Soobin exclaimed.

"You will no longer have a curfew anymore. As long as you stay out of trouble, you can come home anytime, so make sure to have your key on you."

"I always do."

That'll be great for whenever Taehyun and I go on a date together, they'll no longer question my coming home lateness.

"We're also gonna give you a credit card. It'll come hopefully tomorrow or Sunday."

"Really?"

"We'll teach you how to use it properly when we find the time," Woohan said.

"If you want, you can also start working at our company to earn an extra income. It'll help give you a headstart for once you take over," Seolhyun offered.

The happiness Soobin felt at that moment was diminished just like that. It was that easy.

Just the mere mention of the designed fate that his parents had forced him in when he was 16 and how since then he's been especially expected to fulfill and do everything expected of him...

A sour feeling churned in his stomach.

"I'll see."

Was all he could muster.

The two Chois stood up.

"That was all. Enjoy your breakfast; we need to go now."

And they just... left.

Soobin sighed and squished an innocent bread roll out of frustration, fighting back the tears threatening to form in his tired ducts.

Just when I thought my parents were finally gonna get better. Why did I even get my hopes up in the first place?

Today the driver was out sick, so Soobin ended up walking to school in the freezing temperature, but the excitement of being 18 had already faded away thanks to his parents.

Nonetheless, when he arrived, he was greeted by a huge bear hug from none other than...

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU OVERSIZED BUNNY!" Beomgyu shouted while laughing.

Now I get why Taehyun keeps hitting him.

"Thanks Beomgyu," Soobin said through a partially forced smile, although it did make him happy to get a proper heartfelt birthday greeting.

"You're welcome."

Soobin glanced around.

If Beomgyu is here, then where is Taehyun?

The silver haired boy across him noticed, and realized who he was looking for.

"Tae wanted me to tell you he can't make it today. He kinda caught a cold yesterday," Beomgyu responded.

Soobin's demeanor immediately changed.

"How come?!"

Beomgyu held his hands up in defense.

"Woah woah calm down Soobin. He underestimated the cold weather again and didn't wear warm clothes. It's minor, nothing serious."

Soobin sighed.

"I told him to be careful."

And Beomgyu could not miss the opportunity to tease him.

"Ooo Soobin, is 'you turning 18' making you more protective of your cute little 16 year old boyfriend?" he cheekily teased.

"Shut up."

Beomgyu laughed.

"Don't worry, I'll be 18 next year too. Then he's got two bodyguards."

Soobin would gladly take the job of "punching Beomgyu repeatedly for everything he says" that Taehyun usually took care of (even though he appreciated his attempts to make him feel better unknowingly), but that's when the bell cut in.

"Oh we gotta go in."

As soon as Soobin sat down at his desk, having history once again first period (his absolute fAvOrItE subject), he was greeted with even more hugs, but he immediately knew who it was.

Who else could it be in this room?

"Happy Birthday Soobin!!!" Hoseok and Jungkook chorused happily.

"Haha thanks guys," Soobin said, rubbing their arms.

They released him.

"I know you said you don't want anything for your birthday, but we got you some things anyway," Hoseok said, handing out a small package.

Soobin took it and carefully unwrapped it. There was a small carton box with short little letters taped to the sides, and after deciding he'll read them later, heopened it. Inside laid a keychain, with a silver bunny and a silver squirrel attached to it.

"Wow!" Soobin exclaimed.

"Do you like it?" Hoseok asked.

"I crafted the animals myself," Jungkook added.

Soobin looked up at him with wide eyes.

"You did!"

"Yep!"

"He got the idea because it was his task in chemistry to experiment with metals. The teacher knows he'll give it to you, so we let him take a look at it and Jungkook passed the experiment," Hoseok notated.

Oh my...

Soobin did not expect that. He admired the little crafted jewels a little closer, because these were certainly jewels in his eyes. He could only imagine the amount of time and effort this took Jungkook in just... two days time. How many failed attempts this could've had, how often he could've accidentally burned himself with the metals, and how much patience it must've taken him to create such a nice gift...

Soobin had to give Jungkook an extra hug because of that.

"Thanks Jungkook, I really appreciate it."

He smiled.

"I'm glad you do."

"Did Taehyun congratulate you already?" Hoseok whispered.

Soobin shook his head, exhaling quietly.

"He's not here. Beomgyu said he's sick."

"Oh really? Bummer."

Soobin sighed.

"Oh well. It's more important to me that he's healthy."

"Awww," Jungkook swooned.

"Soobin you've become such a softie since you met him," Hoseok continued.

Soobin gave him a playful death glare. He only replied with a laugh and smile.

"Joking!"

The newly-turned 18-year-old then spotted Mr Shun coming in and quickly hushed up.

"SIT DOWN IN YOUR PLACE SENIORS!" he yelled.

Thankfully, everyone obeyed and did as asked.

"What am I gonna do with you all grown up babies," he muttered.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Soobin left the school building at 6 o'clock, exhausted from studying, long extended hours and whatnot. It was very cold, and the wind slapped against his coat without mercy. He zipped it up and bent his head down against the wind.

The house was quiet when Soobin came inside at 6:15. He knew his parents weren't gonna come home any time either. Not even their son's birthday was going to interrupt their busy schedules.

Soobin sighed as he closed the door and leaned against it, feeling a weird scar in his heart throb.

Sometimes... Soobin wished he could have parents like Hoseok's or Taehyun's. Parents who set time aside for their kids and spent time with them. Parents who aren't assuming their son will take over their company once they pass. He didn't want to be a businessman who would become cold and cross to everyone. No way in hell.

He saw what his father was like, what he and his mother almost turned him into, and only now did he realize how... fatal that was, and could have been.

Soobin just brushed it away and headed inside the kitchen, and as expected, there was no birthday cake or anything. He may have said "I don't want anything", but deep down, at least he would've wanted a birthday cake...

Worst. Birthday. Ever—

Suddenly, his phone buzzed in his pocket, almost as if it was right on cue. Soobin pulled it out by instinct and saw who texted.

Tyun 💛: Hiii <3 what are you doing?

Soobin chuckled.

Only then did he realize that Taehyun hadn't sent a message yet, but he didn't think much of it at all, seeing how he couldn't have been able to answer it anyway.

Tyun 💛

How are you Tyun? Any better?

Answer my question >:(

Haha you're so cute
I'm home alone

Then come over to our spot!

What?

Choi Soobin come ooooon

What's with the hustle?

I'm waiting for you!

Soobin had to reread that twice.

"He's what?!?"

In the cold weather?!

Yeah

I'm on my way

"What is he thinking?!" Soobin exclaimed, running to the front door to put on his coat and shoes again, grabbing his keys and exiting the house to go meet him.

🎶: 'Ghosting' by TXT

Soobin traveled across the streets until he reached the spot. The city lights looked breathtaking as always, illuminating the sky and glittering in the distance. Yet, he wondered about something.

"Where is he even?" he asked himself.

"Soobin-ah!"

There he was. He jumped on his back out of nowhere, almost causing him to topple over. 

"Yah Taehyun!"

He laughed loudly, slipping down Soobin's back and coming right in front of him.

Soobin needed a moment to admire his beauty, for the boy had dressed up. Taehyun had curled his hair a little at the front and was wearing a thick winter coat over his striped shirt and jeans.

He looked like an angel.

Because he was one in his eyes.

Taehyun hugged him tightly, still giggling.

"Happy Birthday Soobin!"

Soobin smiled, hugging him back as the happiness of turning 18 finally came back to him, all with just one simple hug.

Even if it was more than just simple, it was special.

"Thank you Tyun."

Taehyun let go of the hug but held Soobin's hands as he looked at him shimmering eyes.

"How do you feel, being 18?"

Soobin shrugged.

"Still pretty much the same. Can't believe I can finally do the things I could never do, like no curfew, own credit card, and who knows, take driver's Ed soon?"

"It's so exciting, isn't it?!"

"Yeah... I suppose it is."

Now that you put it that way.

The couple sat down by the banks, where Taehyun had placed some picnic blankets, as well as a basket to store a few things.

"Looks like someone was prepared," Soobin said.

"I planned this for the past two days. I'm sorry if the result isn't too nice."

"It's perfect, Tyun. Don't stress."

He chuckled as flush invaded his cheeks yet again and glanced down at his lap. That's when Soobin noticed the small package in his hands.

"What is that?" he asked.

"Oh... it's your present."

"My what?"

Did he hear that right?

"I said I'd get you something for your birthday!" Taehyun protested.

"Okay okay!"

Taehyun handed it over to me with a cute smile.

"I know it's not much but... I really wanted you to have a present."

Soobin unwrapped the wrapping paper and stuffed it in my pocket. In the box was a wide short jar, and a piece of folded paper.

He took the jar out first and looked at it closely.

"Is this... a candle?"

"Mhm!" Taehyun nodded. "Mom and I made it."

"Really?"

Everyone is giving me handmade gifts today.

And Soobin did not mind it. He absolutely loved and felt touched by it.

"We picked out plenty of refreshing scents, like vanilla and lavender. I hope that if you light it, it helps relieve your stress whenever you are studying hard."

"Wow... I have no words."

Taehyun smiled in gratitude, his pretty hair framing his pretty smile, and peeked into the box.

"One more thing still, since I kinda felt bad that we didn't have anything else."

Soobin took out the piece of paper and unfolded it to see it was... a letter.

A very long letter at that.

"Read it!" Taehyun exclaimed.

"Okay okay!"

Soobin began to read it.

Dear Soobin,
Happy 18th Birthday! A new chapter of your life begins and it must be exciting for you. Or is it just me?
Anyways. With this letter, I want to express my appreciation and love for you.

I met you during summer camp this summer. When I first saw you, I was astounded at your similarity to my late brother. I became curious to find out more about you and I approached you. But how could I, or we, have known that a simple exchange of Instagram accounts would blossom a friendship.
After you took care of me when I passed out, we became friends. I started to get to know you better, but the more I did, the more I saw of my brother in you. It made me wanna stay close to you.
When I tearfully confessed to you about him, you only pulled me close to you and told me it's alright to cry. Although it shattered me to break my promise to my Hyung, to never cry again, it felt so good to finally let my tears out. I did it with you on my side, and my heart pain finally decreased. Back then I didn't know why, but now, I do. Because already back then my heart belonged to you.

Once summer camp was over, I thought it would be very rare for us to see each other, which saddened me slightly. But again, you proved me wrong. You happened to be a senior at the school I was transferring to. A simple bumping into each other in the hallway was all it took for my school year to already be perfect. Because you were there.
But with us being in the same school, I knew that there were a lot of risks for my secret. I was so afraid to tell you about everything that was going on at home, but looking back on it, there was no need to. That day when you saw me working at the café, all that consumed my mind was: will you be angry at me? Will you lose all trust in me? But no, you didn't. You listened to me, you comforted me and held me close to you. Your loving warmth you gave to me that evening eased my anxiety, and I knew my secret was safe with you.

After that, we became even closer to each other, to the point where I noticed something: my heart felt more alive whenever I was around you. I felt so happy whenever I saw you and only wanted to be with you more. Everyday, I wondered why, why was it you?
My true feelings were confirmed on the day we went to the arcade with Beomgyu, Hoseok and Jungkook. I was frightened to the bone during the horror VR and held onto your hand for comfort. You held mine in yours, not letting it go the whole time. At that moment, I knew what it was: it was love.
Although I didn't want to fool myself, deep down I knew you loved me too. You were always by my side, you took care of me, and you let me be myself with you. I felt safe and happy with you, which is why I looked so drained when you saw me again in the café, that day in November.

I will never forget that day, where you pulled me close, and kissed me. That was my first kiss, and it was as magical as magical can be. I was so shocked that I couldn't even move. But I was so happy. More than I had ever been in my life.
It saddened me to see you upset when you told me we had to date in secret, that your parents could never find out about us. Luckily, my mom supports us. Which reminds me, she sends you a happy birthday as well! And my sisters too!

Soobin, I'll be by your side, always. If you need me, I will be here. If you feel like no one in this world understands you, I will be the one who will. If you're stressed and need someone to hug or kiss you, I'll be the one to do so. You can always trust me, just like I do.

Soobin, remember that you are the best boyfriend anyone can ask for. You're gentle, respectful, and kind; basically everything anyone wants in a man. I love you, till the end of time.
Love, your Tyun <3

Soobin had no words.

He could not say anything.

He was simply speechless.

Taehyun looked at him, his eyes wide with worry.

"Did I say something—"

Soobin pulled him into a hug and then started crying.

His words... everything he poured out in his meaningful letter... how could he not cry out of happiness?

Just like that... Taehyun managed to make his whole goddamn awful day the best day of his life.

Soobin stroked Taehyun's back too as he continued sobbing into his shoulder.

"Soobin, answer me, did I say something wrong?!" Taehyun persisted.

Soobin let go of him and secured his hands on his shoulders, so that Taehyun could look at his teary face.

"Taehyun... that was... so moving. I can't even describe how thankful I am for your existence... you make me feel so loved and cared for in this world... thank you. From the bottom of my heart."

Taehyun sighed in relief.

"Oh thank god, I thought I said something wrong."

Soobin chuckled.

"Everything you said... I needed it. You made my day so special again."

Taehyun smiled.

My god, his smile is everything in this world.

He came close to his boyfriend and leaned his head on his shoulder, snuggling closer to him for the warmth his body emitted.

That's how Soobin suddenly remembered what Beomgyu said this morning.

"Taehyun, are you cold?"

"Nope."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Because you're here."

Soobin snorted.

"That sounded cheesy, sorry."

Taehyun pouted in offense and stood up.

"No kisses for you."

"Says 'who'?" Soobin said, getting up as well.

"Soobin? Soobin, what are you doing?!"

Taehyun started laughing and running. Soobin chased after him, careful to not slip off. He tried to escape, but Soobin caught up to him quickly, grabbing him around his hips. The two fell to the ground, laughing.

"Soobin get ooooff."

Soobin chuckled and stood up, pulling him right up with him.

"That wasn't all," he smirked.

"Huh— woah!"

Soobin lifted Taehyun up, holding him tightly around his waist as he hoisted him into the air.

"Yah Soobin!!!" Taehyun yelled.

Soobin only laughed.

"You're so cute."

He huffed, finally giving in.

"Fine you win Soobin."

Soobin smiled, and this wasn't a smug one.

It was a smile that says all the thanks that words couldn't possibly describe.

"Thank you Taehyun. I love you more than life."

"I love you too Soobin."

This time, Taehyun leaned in first and kissed Soobin on the lips, knowing no one would be around to see them. But Soobin was the one who took over it first, wanting to kept him there until their lips were swollen. They stood there, kissing each other... until Soobin felt something cold and furry on his cheek.

"Snow! It's snowing!" Taehyun exclaimed.

"And... we're together."

"It feels like a Kdrama."

Soobin chuckled.

"I guess it is."

He set him back down and gave his smaller boyfriend a big hug.

"Thank you Tyun. I know I've already said it before, but thank you."

"You're welcome Soobinie."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

A/N: giving y'all a short bonus scene that I considering taking out cuz the chapter ended perfectly up there but I'm happy right now so here you go 🥰

Even though it was snowing, Soobin and Taehyun still had their picnic by the cliff. They just sat closer to each other. Taehyun unpacked the basket he had brought with him and handed Soobin the box inside.

"Here, for you," Taehyun smiled.

Soobin opened the lid and his eyes went wide in surprise.

"A cake?!"

"Yeah. It's a lemon cake, with our own recipe! I'm sorry we couldn't add candles; we're planning to use them on Yuna's birthday in a few days."

"It's alright. Wah... Taehyun, this is too much."

Soobin couldn't even fathom the fact somebody made so much for his birthday.

My parents could never.

"Is it? I'm sorry then."

"No no no it's fine! I meant it in the context of 'you're too sweet'."

"Oh."

Taehyun laughed embarrassingly and scratched his arms and neck under his heavy sleeves.

"I totally knew that."

Soobin smiled and kissed Taehyun's forehead gently. He closed his eyes in pure bliss when he felt his lips; it gave him a sense of security and happiness.

"Let's enjoy your cake," Taehyun said, shying away.

He took a bite of the cake and his cheeks bunched up with happiness.

"Wow Taehyun: the cake is amazing."

"Thank you. I'll tell Mom you like it."

Against his many protests, Soobin still brought Taehyun home by subway. The two arrived at the apartment building, where Soobin gave Taehyun a big hug and a kiss

"It was a very memorable evening with you. I won't forget this."

And Soobin meant it. He truly couldn't believe that he was able to experience such aa wonderfully sweet and simple birthday.

Taehyun smiled at him.

"I'm glad you liked it."

He smiled back and pecked Taehyun's forehead again before wishing him a good night.

And if that left Taehyun red faced and blushing the whole idea, that was for him to know.

And Soobin?

He went home thinking to himself: everything is okay as long as Taehyun is here.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

A/N: I am siiiiingle I feel aloooone I want what they have.

Ghosting will always be Taebin's anthem 👍

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.8K 3.8K 33
Friends since highschool, Beomgyu and Taehyun were almost inseparable. Despite the differences and conflicting personalities they had, they could nev...
17.2K 650 11
A story where Beomgyu and Yeonjun were bestfriends. Beomgyu was a quiet boy, and he had difficulty to express himself and his feelings. No one could...
19K 1K 36
❝Well, he clearly noticed my intention to avoid him. I scoffed. Is he trying to boss me around? "Not everyone is willing to follow whatever you say j...
87K 4.9K 33
(TXT X Reader) (Inspired by 0x1=LOVESONG MV and LO$ER =LO♡ER MV) Soobin, Yeonjun, Beomgyu, Taehyun, and HueningKai only have a lifetime worth of tro...