The Little Deaf Man Decided t...

By shumeya20

Author(s) Yan Songsong 严颂颂 Year 2022 Status in COO 73 chapters + 5 extras (Completed) Description Ji Ruan tra... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73 END

Chapter 4

3.3K 65 1
By shumeya20

Chapter 4
In his over-a-decade-long medical career, including the cases he saw from undergraduate through his PhD, Li Sui An had rarely witnessed someone like Ji Ruan, who felt nauseous during a hearing test.
He practically leaped out of his chair, urgently calling out, "Lily, Lily! Quick, the vomit bag!"
Lily, who had never encountered such a scenario, fumbled to retrieve a vomit bag from a drawer and hurriedly handed it to Ji Ruan.
To everyone's surprise, despite Ji Ruan's delicate appearance, he possessed an unwavering mental fortitude. He clenched the vomit bag, desperately trying to suppress the urge to be sick in front of others.
He held back to the point that his face turned pale and his shoulders trembled, as if believing that he just had to endure this short bout of discomfort.
But it wasn't something one could simply bear. Eventually, even Li Sui'an couldn't stand to watch and whispered, "Let it out, child..."
Lili also carefully reached out, giving Ji Ruan a gentle pat on the back.
That touch seemed like the last straw. Ji Ruan's spine tensed and he let out a retch into the bag.
Both Lili and Li Sui'an sighed in relief almost simultaneously.
Ji Ruan rarely ate much. Having barely touched his breakfast because of a restless night, there wasn't much to throw up. After a while of dry heaving, he slumped in the chair, gasping for breath.
His stomach churned and his mind felt foggy. The woozy sensation transported him back to the days when his illness was severe, with bouts of vomiting caused by strong medication.
The torment during the latter stages of his terminal illness was beyond description. It felt more like a premature descent into hellish torture than living among the living.
Even a fleeting recollection would send shivers of terror down Ji Ruan's spine.
After what felt like an eternity, a warm hand settled on Ji Ruan's damp back. The comfort brought him back to reality from his nightmare.
He turned slightly to see Gu Xiuyi squatting next to him. Maintaining a polite distance, Gu took a napkin from Lili and handed it to Ji Ruan, saying,
"You're okay now. Wipe?"
Ji Ruan's fingers were stiff, and his reaction was sluggish. He believed he had heard Gu Xiuyi but couldn't muster a response.
The corner of Gu Xiuyi's mouth was drawn tightly, his deep eyes reflecting only Ji Ruan's image, devoid of discernible emotions.
He waited quietly for a moment. Then, lowering his gaze briefly, when he looked back at Ji Ruan, his lips curved in what might be seen as a comforting gesture.
At least, it made him appear somewhat kinder.
"It's alright," he said.
Ji Ruan blinked, slightly disoriented, just as a soft tissue gently touched the skin around his eyes, faintly feeling the warmth of Gu Xiuyi's fingertips.
It was then that he realized his bout of vomiting had even brought tears to his eyes.
Gu Xiuyi's motion of wiping away tears was as brisk and efficient as his usual mannerisms, lacking any prolonged comforting tenderness, ensuring Ji Ruan didn't feel uncomfortably close.
Once he ensured Ji Ruan's face was tear-free, he stood, folding the tear-streaked tissue and tossing it into the trash bin. He then said to Lili, "Take him to the restroom to freshen up."
Lili, who had been in a daze, took a moment before helping Ji Ruan up and leading him out.
After the door closed, there was a brief silence in the examination room. Unlike the tense expressions of Song Ling and others, Gu Xiuyi remained poised and calmly took a seat.
Li Sui'an returned to his desk, pulling out a tissue to dab away his sweat.
Gu Xiuyi took the glass of water passed by Song Ling. Holding the porcelain cup by its handle, he took two subtle sips before inquiring, "Is this a normal reaction for him?"
Taking several gulps of water, Li Sui'an finally regained his composure, leaning back in his chair: "It's common to feel dizzy during sound tuning. Some might feel nauseous or even vomit. But -"
Gu Xiuyi looked up, awaiting further clarification.
"Well, those I've seen vomit were usually very young children. Their first exposure to sound might frighten them. As for Ji Ruan... let's just say he's exceptionally sensitive."
Gu Xiuyi set his cup down, resting it lightly on his crossed knees, "Is this a serious issue? Does he need to be hospitalized?"
Chuckling, Li Sui'an replied, "No, that's not necessary. Who gets hospitalized just for a device tuning? He'll be fine after a good night's rest."
"But the boy really does have a frail constitution," Li Sui'an remarked, swirling the water in his glass, "I wonder how he managed to grow up."
"Our boss raised him," Song Ling responded with an even tone in the spacious room.
There was a clatter.
Li Sui'an had spilled his water again.
"Wait, what?" Distracted and not bothering to clean up, he leaned on the table, almost accusingly, "Weren't you two contractually married?"

Li Sui'an's expressions shifted rapidly. Considering Ji Ruan's tender age of eighteen, numerous thoughts raced through his mind, bordering on the edge of legal implications.
Gu Xiuyi glanced at Song Ling, adjusted the wet sleeve, and subtly moved his chair back, "I was his sponsor."
"Damn it."
Falling back into his chair, Li Sui'an pointed at Song Ling, grinding his teeth, "You and that mouth of yours!"
Song Ling cleared his throat and looked away. "Dr. Li, it's not what I said. You just have an overly vivid imagination."
Li Sui'an rolled his eyes, loosened his tie, hesitated for a moment, then nodded towards Gu Xiuyi: "What do you think? Do you genuinely like the kid?"
Gu Xiuyi met his gaze, his eyes devoid of emotion: "Why would I?"
It seemed as if he truly had no interest in Ji Ruan, hence no emotional reaction to such ludicrous speculation.
"You were so gentle in comforting him just now!"
Gu Xiuyi tapped the back of Song Ling's chair: "Was I?"
Song Ling furrowed his brow, pondering, "I guess it was alright..."
Gu Xiuyi fixed his gaze on Li Sui'an, stating seriously, "He's my partner for the next three years. According to our agreement, I won't treat him poorly."
"It's not about treating him poorly or not," Li Sui'an felt like he was onto something but couldn't quite piece it together. After much thought, he attributed it to some kind of male intuition.
He slammed his hand on the table: "Earlier, I just splashed a bit of water on your sleeve, and you recoiled as if avoiding the plague. Yet, he vomited, and you wiped his face!"
"Is it his fault he's sick?"
Gu Xiuyi seemed genuinely puzzled, "And he's just eighteen, how old are you?"
"You-" Li Sui'an was caught off guard and almost choked on his words.
He leaned on the table, staring intently at Gu Xiuyi's face, realizing there was truly no emotion. He began to doubt his own judgment.
Hesitating, he said, "So, you genuinely have no feelings for the kid? He's so handsome!"
"......"
Gu Xiuyi sat upright, the weight of his presence suggesting he no longer wished to engage in conversation.
Li Sui'an slumped in his chair, gazing at the ceiling, sighing, "That's even worse then-"
"As for you, Gu, putting aside whether your character qualifies as reprehensible, just looking at your wealth and status, there aren't many in the whole of Jing City who can rival you. You're well aware of how many people vie for your attention, aren't you?"
Gu Xiuyi looked up, "What are you getting at?"
"You sponsor that boy's education and meals, marry him, accompany him during his illness, and treat him with tenderness. Remember, he's eighteen-a time of budding emotions-"
Li Sui'an sat up straight, leaning his elbows on the table: "How do you know he won't develop an imprinting attachment to you?"
A subtle shift in Gu Xiuyi's eyebrows indicated his intrigue, then he turned his head as if pondering something.
"... Regardless of his feelings, we have an agreement. I never forced him to marry me."
Li Sui'an braced himself against the table as he stood up: "But what if he genuinely falls for you? If he becomes hopelessly devoted, wholeheartedly invested in you, what if he decides to fight back? Won't it just be another mess?"
"......"
Gu Xiuyi remained silent, but for the first time, his expression seemed to betray a hint of emotion.
He gently tapped the porcelain cup, seemingly amused by Li Sui'an's words.
A profound silence enveloped the therapy room. Song Ling remained meditative, while Li Sui'an struggled to decipher Gu Xiuyi's inscrutable expression.
After what felt like an eternity, Gu Xiuyi, as if digesting the previous conversation, finally spoke in a measured tone:
"I'm not that alluring, and besides-"
He glanced at Li Sui'an, a faint smirk playing on his lips: "Do you think he even has the room to resist?"
Their eyes locked, and suddenly, a chilling realization hit Li Sui'an. It felt like a drop of ice falling into a deep pond, sending cold ripples through him, freezing him to his core.
He finally grasped the implications of Gu Xiuyi's statement about Ji Ruan being the perfect marriage candidate.
He knew Gu Xiuyi needed a marital partner due to family circumstances. Initially, seeing Ji Ruan, Li Sui'an had thought that Gu had simply chosen someone docile and non-troublesome.
Now, Ji Ruan's vulnerability seemed to perfectly fit Gu Xiuyi's sinister requirements.

Ji Ruan had no parents, no family, and few societal ties. Everything about him could easily be controlled by Gu Xiuyi, and even with all his might, Ji Ruan couldn't make a splash.
He had neither the space nor the capability to resist.
Gu Xiuyi had cunningly chosen an incredibly fragile creature, one he could dominate without any effort.
If one day Ji Ruan began harboring thoughts that Gu Xiuyi disapproved of, and he disappeared, would anyone even notice?
A chill ran down Li Sui'an's spine from his own thoughts, "... Gu sure plays hardball."
Gu Xiuyi gently shook his head, "Don't always think the worst. In reality, he'll just take the money and leave after three years, and I'll get what I want. It's straightforward."
Li Sui'an knew well that even though Gu Xiuyi always maintained a cool demeanor, he exuded a refined aura, thanks to his impeccable manners.
If you keep your interactions with him strictly professional, you'll be comfortable, never facing any discomfort. But expecting even a hint of warmth from him would be a tragic mistake.
"I think the boy is still quite naive," Li Sui'an advised Gu Xiuyi with the integrity of a medical professional, "It's not flattery, but with your looks and your wealth, if you're just a bit kinder, how many teenagers can resist?"
"I make it a point to do one good deed daily. Today, this deed is for you. Keep your intentions clear and stop being overly familiar with him. You might still keep things smooth that way."
......
As noon approached, the sun blazed high. Sunlight flooded through the row of floor-to-ceiling windows in the corridor, illuminating Ji Ruan's pale nape.
Lili stood outside the door with Ji Ruan. Despite the wall between them, she could clearly hear Gu Xiuyi's conversation.
She cast a sympathetic glance at Ji Ruan.
The young man stood with his hands by his side, head slightly lowered. His slender back and elegant neck, dampened hair on his forehead after washing his face, and paper-pale cheeks made him appear vulnerable, even his eyelashes seemed frail.
Seeing him this way, even Lili, a young girl, felt an urge to protect him, her anger towards the person speaking inside intensifying.
When she first met Gu Xiuyi, he seemed so polite and gentlemanly to everyone. She had initially thought him a modest gentleman. She hadn't expected him to be as heartless as the rumors suggested.
Even if he had an arranged marriage with Ji Ruan, he shouldn't have spoken about him so casually, portraying him like a mere object to be maneuvered at will.
Supporting Ji Ruan, Lili hesitated to lead him inside.
Ji Ruan was puzzled about why the young nurse suddenly stopped moving.
Although the hospital was air-conditioned, the large windows behind them magnified the sun's heat. Feeling dazed and warm, Ji Ruan asked Lili, "Aren't we going in?"
Lili's large, dewy eyes fixated on him. She hesitated and then asked, biting her lip, "Are you... okay?"
Ji Ruan felt dizzy from the heat, his ears buzzing. He could hardly hear but, reading her lips, he discerned that Lili seemed to be expressing concern.
He felt fine for now, but if they stayed out in the sun much longer, he might not be.
Ji Ruan pressed his lips together, offering Lili a feeble smile and reassuringly shook his head.
To Lili's eyes, that smile was the very picture of a wounded heart trying hard not to show any pain.
Her heart ached even more for him, and her disdain for the person speaking inside the treatment room grew stronger.
Indeed, no man can be trusted!
·
Up until the end of his voice adjustment session and while en route to the Civil Affairs Bureau, Ji Ruan couldn't understand why Lili looked at him with such sympathy and concern.
But he was drained. The aftermath of a sleepless night and the side effects from the voice session made him too drowsy to ponder.
Four individuals, including the driver, were in the car, yet no one spoke a word.
Gu Xiuyi, sitting in the back with Ji Ruan, was going through some documents. As he read, his thoughts involuntarily drifted to Ji Ruan.
To be honest, he had no aversion to Ji Ruan. In fact, he found him intriguing. And for that very reason, he hoped no unpleasantness would arise in the future.
Although Ji Ruan wasn't the kind of impressionable youngster that Li Sui'an had described, Gu felt some things needed to be made clear face-to-face.
Gu Xiuyi tapped the tip of his pen on the paper, without looking at Ji Ruan's expression, and said calmly, "We're about to register our marriage. I'd like to reiterate the terms of our agreement."
"First, our marriage will be public knowledge soon. Everyone will be aware that you are my legal partner, and on certain occasions, I'll require your presence."
"Second, during the contract period, neither of us can have any intimate interactions with anyone, regardless of their gender."
"Beyond that, avoid causing trouble or stirring drama, and don't harbor any inappropriate thoughts."
......
Song Ling, overhearing the discussion from the back seat, couldn't resist glancing back. His boss was articulating the contract terms to Ji Ruan with a stoic demeanor.
Ji Ruan sat there, head lowered, with his emotions masked by his long eyelashes. He appeared frail and isolated.
Lili had texted him earlier, revealing that Ji Ruan had overheard the conversation between Gu Xiuyi and Li Sui'an outside the door. Ji was so distraught he nearly cried!
Now, with his boss outlining the rules so impassively, it felt like a dagger to Ji Ruan's heart!
Song Ling felt a pang of sympathy but hesitated to speak out. From the passenger seat, she anxiously observed the situation unfolding behind.
"In the end, the best outcome is to quietly leave with the money once the three-year contract expires."
After giving his last instruction, Gu Xiuyi calmly turned to Ji Ruan. The young lad leaned against the car window, not responding immediately.
Gu Xiuyi didn't press him, patiently allowing him some time to react.
It was only when all four pairs of eyes settled on him that Ji Ruan realized Gu Xiuyi seemed to be addressing him.
Before leaving the hospital, Li Sui'an specifically instructed to keep the new external device on and get accustomed to it.
However, this new gadget was much more expensive and significantly sharper and sensitive than the previous one. Overwhelmed and exhausted, Ji Ruan discreetly turned it off once he got into the car.
He didn't catch a word of what Gu Xiuyi said.
Ji Ruan quietly assessed the mood. It seemed serious, but he was in such a state of fatigue that even slight contemplation caused a throbbing in his temples, making him unwilling to think further.
Sighing softly, Ji Ruan massaged his temples, discreetly turned on his hearing aid, and gave Gu Xiuyi a slight smile:
"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that."
He looked pale and weary, with bloodshot eyes indicating extreme fatigue. Leaning against the car window, he seemed on the verge of collapse.
From the front seat, Song Ling felt a surge of guilt on behalf of Gu Xiuyi.
Those pitiful lips, the dejected look in his eyes, and the reddened rims spoke of immense sadness masked by a forced smile.
Song Ling cast an anxious glance at Gu Xiuyi. True to her suspicions, even her typically stoic boss seemed taken aback by Ji Ruan's appearance.
He clenched his jaw for a moment, then turned to look out of the window.
An oppressive silence hung in the air.
From the backseat, Gu Xiuyi's soft sigh broke the stillness: "Turn around, let's head home."
Throughout, Ji Ruan remained perplexed about the unfolding events, propping himself up slightly, he asked, "What do you mean?"
Gu Xiuyi's gaze remained fixed on the files in his hand, not sparing Ji Ruan a glance, "You should go home and rest."
Ji Ruan was taken aback by the sudden change of plans, mentally exhausted and unable to think, he blankly asked, "...What about getting the marriage certificate?"
"Tomorrow."

Author's note:
Mr. Gu: Guilt Level +100 (Did I go too far? Did he cry...?)
Ruan Ruan: Affected +0 (Ah... I just want to sleep.)
[The reactions to the therapeutic sound machine are purely fictional. Please don't delve too deep or take it seriously. Just separate reality from fiction!]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.6K 288 14
"Make me..." Gabriel said with a smirk on his face. "Oh I sure will." Trevor replied accepting he challenge. Trevor knew that bringing Gabriel to sub...
5.3M 476K 98
✫ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐆𝐞𝐧'𝐬 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐚 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎ She is shy He is outspoken She is clumsy He is graceful...
4.3M 236K 49
"Stop trying to act like my fiancée because I don't give a damn about you!" His words echoed through the room breaking my remaining hopes - Alizeh (...
832K 8.2K 67
𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐝𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐲𝐬 ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ don't forget to vote, share and comment. 🤍