Blood Moon| The Last Kingdom|...

By ria200330

"I am death." "You are my life." More

CAST
PROLOGUE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
PART B: CAST
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
Epilogue
BONUS
ANNOUNCEMENT

FORTY-NINE

252 12 4
By ria200330

MangoMischief, thank you for your support x

I burst into one of the tents we had taken over, anger coursing through me as I tossed aside some of the books and scrolls decorating a small desk inside it.

Sihtric followed me into the tent, having the good sense to wait at the entrance while I seethed.

I tore at the armour on my body, the metal suddenly too heavy and too tight, but my fingers could not weave through the thread.

"Here," Sihtric murmured, coming closer and reaching out, "let m—"

"Do not touch me!" I snapped, whipping around, breathing heavily, my eyes going wide as I looked up at him. "Do not dare put your hands on me."

The rhythm of his heart changed, but I did not care if I had hurt him.

I returned to pulling at my armour, tossing my sword onto the bed in the tent and using both hands.

"Gyda..." Sihtric whispered, "it is not what it looks like. I did not betray Northumbria."

"Really?" I quipped, finally managing to loosen the breastplate and pull it off my body as I turned my back to him. "Because it looked that way to me."

"It is not like that," Sihtric swore, "I rode out to find Uhtred last night because I wished to stop senseless bloodshed. I wanted to keep you safe. I wanted to keep Northumbria safe."

"It is not your job to keep Northumbria safe," I snorted, still bitter over our fight back in Dunholm, "you have made yourself clear about that."

"Gyda," Sihtric stepped closer to me again, his chest brushing against my back, "I did not mean what I said. I was not thinking, and my tongue spat lies. I was just afraid; battle costs lives. You are already injured from Eforwic, I did not want you to go into battle again."

Though his heartbeat did not change, I could not soothe the hurt he had made me feel quite yet. I shuffled to the side, stepping away from him and slipping off my armbands.

"Please," Sihtric followed me with his eyes, "I only rode to Uhtred to speak with him and try and convince Edward. It was too late for me to speak to Edward, but we rode straight here to stop more slaughter."

"And Rúna?" I scoffed, turning around to face him at last, "Was there any reason for you to take her?"

"She would not let me go," Sihtric faltered, his eyes burning brightly with emotion, "she threatened to wake you as I was leaving, so I took her with me."

"You should have left her at home," I grit out, "she is not safe here."

"I know," Sihtric nodded quickly, "I am sorry for that too. I was desperate to fix the situation so much so that I did not think beyond my decision. It was foolish and reckless." He stepped towards me slowly, his hand creeping out to take mine.

"Do not," I crossed my arms over my chest, "I am furious with you."

"I promise you, My Love," Sihtric groaned, closing the gap between us so I could not escape him, his hand grabbing mine and forcing it on his chest, over his heart. "You can hear my heart. You know I do not lie to you. I would never betray you." 

Of course, he did not lie. It would have been easier for me to stay angry had he lied, even a little, but his heart remained firm and steady under my hand.

"Well," I swallowed harshly, going to pull my hand back, but Sihtric did not let me, "you helped to save some Northumbrians, at least."

"That is all I wanted to do," Sihtric promised, "I wanted to keep you, our children, and our kingdom safe." 

I tried to move my head as he leaned to press his forehead to mine, but his free hand shot up, turning my chin so I was forced to let him melt my heart.

"You know I would do anything to keep you safe," Sihtric whispered, "I am your shield, am I not?"

"Even if it means breaking my heart?" I mumbled, raising my hand to rest it against his arm, "Even if it means going behind my back?"

"I will protect you until I no longer can," Sihtric told me firmly, "I do not care under what circumstances I have to do it as long as you are safe in the end."

I splayed my hand on his chest out of a fist, giving in at last, at leaning forward, my forehead resting against his chest. "Do not dare to ever go behind my back again. You could have died in battle had Saga not come."

"I would have found my way to you one way or another," Sihtric whispered, his arms wrapping around me entirely, pulling me into him.

I rested my cheek against his shoulder, looking up at him, "I have to go and speak with them now. I will not be kind."

"Edward has not been kind to us," Sihtric shot back easily, his arms tightening around me, "and Uhtred is forgiving of him. It is time for Northumbria to show her strength."

I was not proud to say my stomach fluttered at the annoyance in his words, "You will not loathe me for being cruel?"

"I would not loathe you if you killed me," Sihtric murmured, drawing back a little to place an open-mouthed kiss to my lips.

I rubbed my lips together as he drew back, "Then, let us go."

"Let us," Sihtric smiled gently, drawing away from me somewhat reluctantly, "I love you."

"Pretend we have not reconciled," I mumbled quietly as we approached the tent flaps, "I do not want Edward to think you have swayed me. I want you to show them nothing on your face."

"Anything you want," Sihtric smoothed out his expression, letting go of my hand last, still smiling.

"I love you too," I muttered as he was half out of the tent, my heart thumping gently before I followed after him slowly, the sun beaming down on my face as I stepped out.

Sihtric moved ahead, a ghost of a smile on his face that only I could see, heading back over to Kari and Rúna, who sat atop her, looking around nervously.

I looked down, smiling slowly at the sight before me.

Edward glared at me from the dirty ground he was crouched on, his hands bound and his nose bloodied. His only ally left on the field was Uhtred.

Saga and Henrick had rode in together with four hundred men split between them; they had cut down the rest of Edward's troops with ease, and Danes celebrated before the last of them had stopped breathing.

Emil stood beside me, his arms crossed over his chest, glaring at Aethelstan, who stood beside Uhtred, showing me his support.

"What do you wish to do with him, Jarl Sigtryggr?" I asked lightly, glancing to Sigtryggr and Stiorra, who had passionately reunited.

Sigtryggr turned to me to smile, his arms around his wife, "The victory is yours, My Queen, as are the hostages."

"Gyda," Uhtred called out to me uncertainly, "Queen... do not kill him. He is more use to you alive. Wessex will pay highly to have him returned and—"

"Do I look like a woman who can not afford the finer things?" I cut him off, motioning to my myself. "Do not mock me with talks of silver and gold. I am here to pay a blood price."

"What is a blood price?" Edward grit out, blood sticking to his face, removing any regal nature he may have had about him.

I turned back to Sigtryggr, "How many of your people died that day, Jarl?"

"Sixty-four," Sigtryggr grit out, holding Stiorra closer to him, "sixty-four dead and many more wounded."

"Sixty-four," I nodded calmly, turning back to Edward, "you will be whipped sixty-four times to pay for the people who died because your soldiers did not arrive."

"Gy— Your Majesty," Uhtred groaned, "the man to blame is Aethelhelm!"

"We do not know this man," Emil spoke up calmly, "and Edward is here, so he should pay in his stead."

"Rúna!" Sihtric's shouted suddenly, and I jumped a little.

I took a step forward in concern as Rúna jumped off Kari's back and darted across the small distance between us.

Her little arms wrapped around my waist, holding me tightly, "I saw you fight."

I rested my palm on her head, stroking her hair, "Did you enjoy it?"

Rúna moved back, standing beside Emil and taking her brother's hand, "You were fearsome... like the princess from Papa's stories." Rúna played tricks to try and get me to forgive her father; Loki truly shined through her. 

If only she knew forgiveness had already been given.

"Queen Gyda," Uhtred drew my attention back to him, "Edward can not pay a blood price."

"Then, bring me Aethelhelm," I demanded calmly, waving my hand out in front of me, "where is he? Bring him."

"I—" Uhtred faltered, raising his hand to his hair and pulling on it, "I do not know, but I will find him."

"I need a price to be paid now," I told him simply, no longer having much sympathy for him, "sixty-four lashes or the supposed traitor."

"Is there nothing else you will consider, My Queen?" A quiet voice murmured, and Osferth stepped around Uhtred, wringing his hands together nervous. "You have always been kind to me... and merciful. I know you are full of good."

I had a weak spot of Osferth. Everyone knew it, and he knew it too. For months, when I had first become Queen, Osferth had advised beside my council, helping us create a Northumbria for Danes and Christians alike.

"Osferth," a sharp voice quipped as Saga appeared, her armour bloodied, "Edward did not show mercy when he vowed to banish the Queen and to kill her Jarl."

"Edward deserves to pay the price he wished to make us pay," Stiorra's voice, strained by the thought of losing her husband, snapped out.

"Stiorra!" Uhtred's eyes widened, "Please!"

"Enough," I muttered, "I am willing to consider something else, perhaps."

"Perhaps?" Edward swallowed, his gaze dulled by the fear he wished to hide away but felt.

"Everyone wants something, kingling," I smirked, raising my hand and placing it on Emil's shoulder. "What do you want, my son?"

Emil cleared his throat, his eyes narrowed, "I want for Saxon, Christian mercenaries to leave Northumbrian borders. Northumbria already has priests. We do not need the poison of yours."

Edward clenched his jaw, looking down to the floor, "I will see to it."

I then placed my hand on Rúna's shoulder, "And what do you want, Little Princess?"

Edward tensed in annoyance, but he said nothing.

Rúna grinned up at me, "I want riches, Mama. One thousand gold and two thousand silver."

"Just for you?" I snorted, poking her forehead, "How greedy." I turned to Edward then, "Will you do it?"

Edward stayed silent, his hands clenched in his lap.

"He will do it," Uhtred stated simply, "he must."

I nodded curtly, looking to Sigtryggr, "You are sure you want nothing more from him?"

"His humiliation is enough," Sigtryggr spat, "and our alliance is no more."

"I will pray that you burn in Hell," Stiorra swore, pulling Sigtryggr away from the men, her dark rimmed eyes making her eyes appear wild. "I will pray that peace never finds you."

 I chewed on the inside of my lips, placing my hand back on my sword, "Then, it appears that everyone has made their wishes... except me."

Edward raised his head at last, meeting my eyes, "What do you want?"

I crouched slowly in front of him, and I felt Emil shift, pulling his axe out again slowly, "I want two things, kingling."

"Name them," Uhtred demanded, "let this be over."

"Very well," I rose up again, clasping my hands behind my back, "I want a truce. Wessex and Edward will draw back to their lands, and we will once again have peace."

Edward studied my face hesitantly, "I... can accept this... I long for peace as well."

"Good," I nodded, "then you will accept my second term as well."

"What is it?" Uhtred frowned, relief coming to their Saxon faces far too soon.

"I want Mercia."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.6K 280 14
She had known many names throughout her life - men had the tendency to rename her. Her brothers had renamed her first, stripping her of her pa...
55.4K 1.5K 28
[18+; Use an age indicator in YOUR BIO to confirm you're 18+ if you want to follow/comment or you'll be blocked for safety purposes] "I contradict...
61.3K 2.2K 22
"You are much too pretty to simply be the blacksmith's daughter." "And you are much too handsome to be a bastard." Sihtric x OC. 18+. Updates Tuesda...
116K 4.1K 33
god, i have my fathers eyes but my sister's when i cry. bloodiedwings © 2024 the last kingdom