Blood Moon| The Last Kingdom|...

Autorstwa ria200330

"I am death." "You are my life." Więcej

CAST
PROLOGUE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
PART B: CAST
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
Epilogue
BONUS
ANNOUNCEMENT

THIRTY-SIX

667 22 0
Autorstwa ria200330

"Storming it from the front is not an option," Saga snapped, glaring at Ingemar, her nail pressed into the map that was draped out over the round table in the hall.

"And why not?" Ingemar's eyes flashed, "You are making this more difficult than it has to be!"

"She knows what she speaks of," Uhtred jumped in, his voice cool, "she has seen Bebbanburg, she knows the walls the way I do. We know what we speak of."

"We have the men to storm the walls," Ingemar argued again, her hands slamming down on the table.

"We will have no men if we storm the front wall!" Saga threw her hands up, turning in a circle before pressing her hands to the table again, "We are not going to the front wall."

Ingemar burst up again, and the three returned to arguing vehemently.

I rubbed my temple slowly, my elbow resting on the arm of my Jarl's seat and some of my hair loosening from my braids to cover my face.

They had been arguing for two days and eleven hours, and still, they were no closer to agreeing with each other.

Saga and Uhtred pushed the plan they had devised in Coccham, and Ingemar pushed for a direct onslaught.

"Enjoying Jarldom?" Finan joked quietly from my right, leaning on my chair.

I hummed sarcastically, "It's thrilling."

He and Sihtric snorted softly before Finan tapped the top of my chair, "What if you throw in your own opinions? They can't say no to you."

"She has enough to do without needing to devise battle tactics," Sihtric said quietly, his hand reaching out to rest on my shoulder.

I had recovered the forest camp and sent a hundred and fifty people there on my first day as Jarl. In the second and third days, we dealt with the dead bodies and the pyres. By the forth, letters had been sent out to the rest of Northumbria, announcing I had taken Jarldom. It was now the first of the week again, and I had a list of things to do that I could not even begin to grasp.

"Aye," Finan nodded easily, "but I fear Saga will pounce over the table any second now."

He was right; Saga looked very close to striking Ingemar, as did Uhtred.

"Fine," I sighed heavily, pushing myself up out of my chair and taking the few steps down to the table.

"Jarl," Saga nodded curtly, moving back to Uhtred's side, both of them on the left while Ingemar stayed on the right.

"Jarl," Ingemar sighed, gesturing to the map, "we could send a group of ten to the gate with a battering ram. They will be able to force it open and give way for the rest of us to attack without losing time."

I had never seen Bebbanburg so I did not know if her plan was doable but from the look on Uhtred's face, I was led to believe that Ingemar had said the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard.

I turned to Saga, "What is your plan?"

Saga straightened, speaking quickly, "We send envoys to Bebbanburg, skalds and priests, fifteen or so. We have them tell Aelfric that you are extending your alliances and wish to join him. In the night, the envoys will kill the guards and open the gate."

Her plan sounded more plausible, and although it would take longer, I was aware that the cover of night and the element of surprise would give us a good advantage on Aelfric's men.

"That is all well and good," Ingemar huffed, "but where will you keep the soldiers who have to kill the men? Up your arse?"

Saga grit her teeth together, glaring.

Uhtred answered for her, "In the forest, there is one right in front of Bebbanburg. It is vast enough to hold an army of two hundred. They can hide there until dark and then run for the gate when it is opened."

I nodded slowly, my hands clasping in front of me as I walked around the table, studying the pictures and markings on the map.

"Jarl, men will grow impatient for battle," Ingemar groaned, "they will arrive and want to fight immediately."

"They are not babes at their mother's tits," Saga snapped harshly, "they know how to wait and how to think."

I stopped at the top of the table, bringing their focus back to me as I set my hands down on a seat beside the table. "Have you discussed any of these plans with Bryngerd or Hoder?"

"Bryngerd is in support of my plan," Saga rushed out.

"And Hoder is in support of mine," Ingemar glared at the redhead fiercely.

I glanced past them, at Finan and Sihtric, who spoke quietly amongst each other, occasionally looking to the map. "Do you have some valuable input?"

Finan cut himself off, clearing his throat, "No, Jarl, just talking."

"They should not even be here," Ingemar groaned, "this is a war council."

"They are my men," Uhtred snapped at her, his face growing slightly red, "they have experience and—"

"They are common soldiers—"

"How dare—

"Enough!" I raised my voice slightly, pushing away from the table and taking a step back. "You are all acting like children. You are deciding the fate of warriors, good men and women, who are loyal. Do better." I turned around, making to exit the hall, "Find me when you have found a way to reach an agreement, or I will decide for you."

Footsteps scrambled behind me as I pushed open the door, and I paused at the steps of the main hall, letting Finan and Sihtric catch up to me. They were to be my new guards now that Saga had four hundred warriors under her.

"Whose side are you leaning towards?" Finan asked hurriedly, shutting the doors of the hall behind us.

I groaned softly, pausing to slip my arm through Sihtric's and walking between them instead of in front of them. "I am supposed to let my war council decide these matters because they have the experience to decide it."

"I think your war council is more concerned with comparing cock sizes," Finan snorted loudly, winking at a few passing women.

I leaned my head on Sihtric's shoulder slightly, "Saga and Ingemar both have big personalities. Saga is used to leading my men and Ingemar is used to commanding huge fleets. They are both good."

"Yes," Sihtric mumbled quietly, "but perhaps with this one particular battle, Uhtred has better input and knowledge."

I stopped, pushing off him and wrinkling my nose, "I know this already but I cannot favour anyone. Favour causes problems and Ingemar is a better ally than foe."

"Yes," Sihtric agreed softly, reaching out for my hand again, "but swaying Ingemar will save lives. Saga's plan is well thought through and gives us the best chance.

"On top of that," Finan jumped in, "we could go further and use Ingemar's ships to take the beach. Warriors could climb the cliff behind the fortress and enter from behind."

I was starting to grow frustrated; I did agree with them and I wanted the best for my warriors but openly choosing Saga would make Ingemar believe I favoured her. If I chose Ingemar, I would kill many people and Saga would be angry towards me and feel replaced. Uhtred also supported Saga which put me in a tight space, as though I was being crushed between two shield walls.

"Well," I brushed Sihtric's hand off mine, "be sure to tell the council of your thoughts and input. I am sure they will greatly appreciate it. However, once again, I can not pick sides as the Jarl of Dunholm who needs to keep her allies." 

With that, I stormed ahead, making my way across the courtyard in record speed. I made for the stables.

Helios greeted me calmly, bumping his head into mine, his coat shining from the care of the attendants that took care of him. He had no expectations of me; he only knew that I brought him apples and spoke a lot of words he did not understand.

My moment of stroking him was interrupted by Kari, who pushed her head between Helios's window, snorting loudly.

I laughed lightly, reaching out to pet her as well, brushing the long strands of her mane out of her eyes.

"Do all the horses belong to a rider?"

I jumped slightly, spinning around and startling the horses, who backed away from the stable gate. "Father Beocca!"

The priest smiled lightly, staying a respectable distance away. "I did not mean to startled you," he reassured me, "I saw you walking and I wished to see how you are."

I wet my lips, straightening out, "I am very well, thank you."

"I cannot say I am surprised," Beocca took a step inside the stables, looking up at Sleipnir, who stood bigger than the other horses, his white coat stark and noticeable. "News of your successful recapture of Dunholm has travelled far."

I raised my brow, my lips tilting up slowly at one side, "Is it safe to say that Edward is aware?"

Beocca snorted, turning away from the horse to me, "Yes, Lady, he is well aware and most displeased."

"Music to my ears," I joked, walking towards him and leading him out of the stables. "Why have you come here? I can not imagine you have come to spend the summer."

"Well," Beocca sighed, walking at my side, "I believe we have."

"Oh," I kept my head straight, the surprise in my voice evident, "I see. You are most welcome, of cours—"

"Thyra wishes to live here," Beocca cut me off, stopping to turn to me, "she wishes to return to Daneland and I agree that it is for the best."

I blinked rapidly, taking a moment to gauge his heart but it remained steady, "I am not sure I understand."

Beocca swallowed, looking around the streets of Dunholm, "After the fire, we could not feel safe in Winchester."

"Are you not the king's priest?" I blurted, scrambling to gather my thoughts.

Beocca pulled a face, "Not anymore. Winchester has no use for me according to Lady Aelswith."

I mulled over his words, sighing heavily, "I do not know this Lady but she sounds like a cunt."

Beocca let out a surprised laugh before nodding, "She is not the most pleasant at times."

I looked away from his face, studying the yard to try and spot Ragnar's sister.

Beocca cleared his throat, "She spotted your wolves at the entrance, Lady. She was enthralled and took off to play with them."

I nodded slowly, looking back to him, "Very well."

Beocca raised his brows, "Very well?"

I shrugged, "I will have a place arranged for you to live. Any family of Ragnar's is family of mine. You and Thyra are welcome to make Dunholm your home."

Beocca bowed slightly, his face splitting into a grin, "Thank you, Lady, I am immensely grateful for you kindness."

"Beocca," I laughed, reaching out to pat his shoulder, "you must learn to speak like a brute if you will live here. No one will understand you otherwise."

Beocca nodded quickly, "I will do my best." He then pointed to the gates of Dunholm, "I will go and find my wife to give her the good news."

"Yes, yes," I motioned for him to go, turning with him as he walked. "Father Beocca!"

Beocca paused, glancing back at me, "Yes, Lady?"

"We will be taking back Bebbanburg soon, do not get too comfortable here. Home awaits you."

Beocca's face softened and he bowed again, "Then, I will sharpen my sword, Lady."

I watched him go, toying with the rope belt at my waist, the metal runes on it hitting against each other.

Beocca would be one of many good people fighting in Bebbanburg; I owed them their best chance.

I turned on my heels, storming back through the courtyard as people jumped out of my way, whispering as I passed them. I slammed open the doors to the main hall as I entered it, paying little mind to how dramatic I was being.

"Jarl?" Ingemar rose up from her seat at the table, Saga and Uhtred with his men did the same.

"Sit," I demanded, rushing back over to the table and pointing at Bebbanburg, "have you reached a decision?"

They all sat down again, their heads shaking hesitantly.

"Wrong answer," I quipped, glaring at each one of them, "you have reached a decision and the decision is this—" I stabbed the map with my finger. "We send the envoys."

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

1.6K 53 7
"You have your gods and I have my monsters."
928 20 9
they called him the dauntless. for he feared nothing but himself. - sihtric x ftm!oc disclaimer!: this story contains depictions of violence, abuse...
195K 5.9K 36
"you have made a sinner of me, irishman,"
5.5K 239 23
A 21st-century woman is thrust into the past, where she meets Uhtred, a formidable warrior. She joins his band of warriors forming unbreakable bonds...