She's With Me

由 nevermindtaem

Evie has been burnt many, many times with relationships. But when she meets a man named Josh through a dating... 更多

Tinder
Josh
Eve of the Date
Butterflies
How Many Followers?
Vegan
Coco
Wine
Fated or Something
Will I See You Again?
Major Heartburn
Urgent Care
We're Strangers, Aren't We?
Zombies
Home (MA)
Communication
Olipop
Hot Movers
Michigan
At Home
Blobs
The Parents

Brothers

94 5 0
由 nevermindtaem

(( A/N: Anyone down for the idea of these chapters being longer?? This is gonna be a really long series if I don't start making chapters longer XD ))

The doorbell rang at around 4pm that evening just as Josh was putting the finishing touches on the side dishes. Along with the puttanesca that he'd slaved over, he'd made a nice hot vegan artichoke dip that Evie couldn't stop sneaking bites of. When she wasn't swiping the dip, Evie had hopped in to help Josh make a bread to go with dinner. Evie had made bread many times before but not vegan bread. It was weird to make bread without eggs or oil but surprisingly, it turned out to be a nice crusty, crunchy bread. Granted, it was a little more spongey than she was used to but it was still very tasty. "I'll let them in," Josh said, finishing up drying his hands, "Take the plate out to the garden area. There's a nice little picnic table we can eat at," he snaps his fingers a bit, muttering himself as he leaves the kitchen, "I knew it was smart to invest in one of those."

As the chatter started up from the front door, Evie headed outside to the patio area that was just by the kitchen area. She didn't have much of a chance to go out here and check it out. It was a tiny backyard, maybe big enough to park a small car in. But he was able to squeeze in the wooden picnic table that he seemed so proud of. Outside was cool, the weather was now finally starting to warm up after having such a chilly winter. The sun was sinking over the horizon, bathing the backyard in a warm orange light. But, Josh had preemptively turned on the string lights just in case they stayed out longer. The main dish was already sitting in the middle of the table with the bread and Josh had already set out the plates and napkins.

While they'd been cooking dinner, Evie had finally figured out how she was going to reveal her relationship. She'd gone and investigated the rest of the boys' pages and found they also had a tendency to be a little secretive. Cryptic words, riddles and pictures that were strange. She figured, every time she posted something of Josh, she'd make the photo vague and the message cryptic but tag it like it was a regular post. At least until the fans caught on. She'd gotten a picture of him eating a slice of tomato that had been zoomed in on, and got an instant like from Josh. "You think my stubble is coming in too badly?" he'd asked, "I'm thinking about growing it out."

Stepping back inside, Evie's greeted with the loud chatter of the guys who'd migrated to the kitchen. She couldn't see them yet and they couldn't see her. They'd met once before, but it felt so much more... scary? That was a good word for it. She had to make a good impression this time. This was going to be her family. She smoothes down her blouse and takes a deep breath. The moment she steps into the kitchen space, all eyes are on her and the chatter quiets down. But it only lasts for a moment as Josh's voice is the first to break through the static that was filling her head, "There she is!" he says, rounding the kitchen island to slide an arm around her waist which made her feel just a little bit better, "I know we've all met once before it um... strange circumstances but that is behind us now. Gentlemen, this is Evie."

She musters a small 'hello' and a nervous smile that was returned with some just as awkward hellos from the guys. Another small moment of silence follows until one of the young men seated at the counter finally pipes up. He was definitely one of Josh's brothers but not the twin. "We're sorry for uh– spooking you that first time around," he says, "I promise we're not mean. We were just really tired that day and a little pissed at Josh for not showing up."

"Yeah," the boy next to him agreed, Evie guessing that he must be the twin since he looked exactly like Josh, "It was definitely a bit of a morning. But, we're happy to re-meet you, I guess?"

"It's nice to re-meet you guys too," Evie said, "Especially under better circumstances. I felt so awkward and I hoped I wouldn't see you all again because I was so embarrassed."

"Oh, we've done much worse," Danny pipes up, exchanging grins with his friends, "I for one, got caught skinny dipping with my girlfriend by my parents. I wanted to die." A small laugh is shared among the crowd. They were tense, Evie could feel it. She knew what was on their minds. Yeah, it was a dinner party but, the most important guest was inside of her and she wasn't sure how she could tell them she didn't care if they had questions. Josh breaks the silence with a clap of his hands, "Well, we have a really great spread outside that is getting cold. I made puttanesca and Evie helped make the bread and a really good dip so–"

"Sounds good to me," Josh's twin, the one she believed was called Jake, said as he got off the barstool with a beer in his hand, "I'm starved."

The group makes their way outside and all 3 of their guests were surprisingly able to take a seat at the bench opposite to the couple. The conversation quickly went over to the food as Josh helped everyone get a serving of food. "I haven't had anything noodly in so long," Sam said, tying back his long brown hair, "When you said pasta I was like, holy shit yes? I feel like I've done nothing but eat those little sandwiches from the catering company for like a week straight."

"No kidding," Danny nods his head, an exasperated sigh leaving his lips, "My fridge is full of them. I wish there was a way I could just tell them to stop ordering so many. The crew never eats them and you guys don't eat lunch meat."

"Maybe we should get Josh and Evie to cater for us," Sam was already testing the bread, and audible moan coming from his mouth as he crunched down on a slice, mumbling his compliment through a mouthful of carby goodness, "Fuck this is good." The calmness that she'd been waiting for all evening finally settled into her bones while she listened to the boys complain about their daily lives. She'd been so worried about making a good impression on them, that she'd forgotten that they were just people at the end of the day. People who apparently hated sandwiches. "So," Jake clears his throat, "Evie, how are you feeling? You know with your um... condition?"

She couldn't help but blush now and Josh gently reaches over to squeeze her hand reassuringly. "I'm okay," she said, "I know it's a lot for you guys too. I won't you know, get in your way or anything or keep Josh from important things. I just hope you're not mad." When she did finally look back up from her lap, all 3 of the guys had a look of shock and confusion on their faces. "Why would we be mad at you?" Jake was the first to say, "If anything, I'd be more mad at Josh for being stupid. I mean really, you have condoms."

Josh shrugged like he didn't care but his face was already starting to turn red, "I dunno, a bottle of wine and a beautiful woman make things kinda fuzzy. But I'm not mad it happened either," he was looking lovingly at Evie as he spoke, "We'll just make things work."

Excitement was building in Sam's voice as he spoke, "I mean, I think I can speak for all of us here. It's surprising for sure but we're excited. We get to be uncles."

"Cool uncles," Jake snorted, "I am going to make sure this kid is loaded with toys and clothes and everything, way before they're even here."

"Can I be an uncle too?" Danny asked quietly, "I know we're not related by blood but–"

"That's a stupid question, of course you are," Sam scolds Danny playfully, "We all get to be cool uncles and Josh gets to be the cool dad." They were goofballs. Now she could see where Josh got it from. All three of them were grinning ear to ear while they bickered playfully, even Josh was smiling. They would be good uncles. Good babysitters too. She wasn't exactly sure about how good of a parent Josh would be just yet. Though he was laughing and smiling now, Evie was sure that he was still in shock about it like she was. It still didn't feel real to either of them. "I think you guys will all be awesome uncles," Evie chuckled, "Babysitters too."

"Have you told mom and dad yet?" Jake asked, directing the question to Josh, "You know they're gonna be excited." Josh lets out an exasperated sigh and runs his hands through his hair, "Yeah... I will tell them. I'm sure they'll be excited. I mean, who wouldn't be excited to be grandparents? I just hope they aren't mad that it wasn't like... planned or anything."

"Aw, I wouldn't worry about that too much," Sam waves him off, "I'd just tell them that you'd been dating for awhile already but were so busy you forgot to say anything. I didn't tell mom I had a girlfriend until we were 3 months in." Josh's brows raised, almost like he didn't believe him. It looks like he's about to say something but he shuts his mouth as a question comes tumbling out of Jake, "Do we have any pictures of baby yet?" he seemed excited as he asked, "Like ultrasound or...?"

Evie shook her head, "I haven't even planned an appointment yet, honestly. It's been such a whirlwind moving everything here and... now I hear we might be moving again?" She casts a nervous glance to Josh who carefully nods his head, "Yes, we did discuss that, didn't we?" The rest of the group joins in nodding, now a wave of uncertainty washes over their faces. Smiles fade and gazes drop to the half eaten plates of food. Evie felt bad for bringing it up. "I don't really want to leave Nashville," Jake says quietly, "It's like home now."

"It's only temporary," Danny reassures his friend from across the way, "I mean you heard manager man today. We'd be back home, away from the city. A lot of people don't get this kind of opportunity."

"Are we going to be living together?" Sam frowns, "I have no issue with it but, I think the girls would like... more private dwellings."

"No, we're not living together," Josh shook his head, "Close proximity but not together. One of the guys brought up maybe getting townhomes or condos in the same block or general vicinity. We'll just stay in and only see each other. We can bring girlfriends with us, and dogs. I mean I think I know a good place. You guys remember the townhomes that are in downtown Frankenmuth? They always have vacancies. At least two of us could live there, maybe?" The boys exchange weary glances amongst one another. Evie was kind of excited when they spoke about a townhome. It was definitely an upgrade from what she was doing now. Hell, Josh's little house was an upgrade from what she and Kelsey had been living in. "God, I didn't think we'd actually be going back home so soon but," Danny shook his head, "I'm kinda looking forward to it. Nashville's nice but I miss how quiet Michigan was. I don't think it'll take too much convincing with Kenzie."

"I don't think Jita will complain either," Jake nodded in agreement, "I mean we can have downtime in our own homes for a little bit. I'll bet mom and dad will ask us to move back home, literally."

"You know they will be with Josh," Sam snorted, "Evie, they are going to love you so if you ever feel smothered, please let us know. Our mother can be a little um... overbearing?"

"But in a good way," Jake explained, "Like as soon as you mention 'baby' she's gonna want to be your personal maid. I just know it."

She had mixed feelings about having a helpful mother figure in her life. Her own mother having never really been in her life much, Evie had done everything on her own. Kelsey was the first bit of support she'd ever had in her life and though she was fine with it now, it had taken ages for her to warm up to her friend being the slightest bit helpful. But bringing any of that up wasn't exactly good 'at the dinner table' talk. So, Evie simply smiled and laughed, "Oh, that's fine! I'm sure anyone that's excited to be a grandparent would wanna be super helpful," she said, "I'm actually relieved to hear your mother's really nice."

"I think you'll fit in really well," Sam said, "Josh mentioned you were from upstate, right?"

"I am," Evie nodded, "I grew up in Vermont, just outside of Montpelier."

Sam waves his hand, "Pfft, you got this then. I think we get just a little less snow than Vermont does. Maybe we'll get to stay long enough so you can experience winter in a small town." Josh bumps her shoulder a little bit with a grin on his face, "I mean he's kinda right," he chuckles, "Imagine sitting cozy by the fire while we have hot cider and there's a blizzard going on." That would be nice to experience. Evie thought back briefly to the chilly winters in Vermont when all her parents had to heat the house were a couple of space heaters. Below freezing days would be spent huddled in one room, trying to stay warm. But that was again, something that would definitely ruin the mood. "That sounds wonderful, actually," Evie nods in agreement, "I loved when the snowstorms would come through here in downtown Nashville. I had a day off once and I watched the snow roll in from the third floor. It was pretty."

"See, now you got the spirit," Sam joked, "She's a snow liker!"

"Snow liker isn't a word, Samuel, " Danny scolds his friend playfully. Sam rolls his eyes, "What else would you use to describe it? Snow enjoyer? That sounds so pompous."

"I think snow enthusiast sounds pretty nice," Josh chimes in, "Maybe snow lover?"

"It's actually called a... chionophile?" Jake had pulled out his phone and showed them the Wikipedia article, "I don't think I like how that sounds very much."

"Ahh, linguistics," Josh was propped up on the table now, swirling his wine glass, "Even innocent words sound terrible."

______

The rowdy group of boys leave the house shortly after dinner. COVID restrictions had Josh wary of many people in his house. The last person that needed to be getting sick was Evie. "This is going to be the last time we do this for awhile," Josh had said as he shooed them out the door, "It's too dangerous. We'll start doing video calls more often." Evie had made her way back into the kitchen to start doing the dishes but was promptly kicked out and told off by Josh that she didn't need to worry herself about the dishes. So, she made her way back to the living room area to check out his Netflix account, something that she had a feeling was going to become her best friend in the next few months. She eventually settled on a reality show to give the room some background noise, and pulled out her phone to mindlessly scroll through Instagram.

A few likes had popped up on her Instagram feed, but nothing too crazy, as expected. Curious, she checks out the tag for Greta van Fleet again, scrolling through all the posts. There were girls out here begging to be Josh's girlfriend. Jake's girlfriend, Danny and Sam. Here she was, living the dream and it didn't feel anything like how descriptive some of the captions were. Josh was just some guy washing the dishes in the next room. Then the conversation at dinner about moving popped into her head and Evie remembered she still had Zillow on her phone. What was that town called again? Frankenmuth?

She types the town's name into the search bar and is instantly greeted with... a very small handful of homes. They were cute. Old, but cute. They kind of reminded her of old grandma houses that never got updated. There were a few that reminded her of her old house in Montpelier, but with less trash in the yard and better looking. The white house. Evie shudders at the thought of it again. "Are you actually watching that?" Josh's voice broke through her wandering thoughts and she jumped a little bit. He was standing at the entryway to the living room area, drying a dish with a hand towel with a dumb little grin on his face. "No, I..." she was a little embarrassed, "... I was looking at houses in Frankenmuth."

Josh comes to sit with her on the couch, craning his neck to get a better view of the screen. He smelled like wine, "Oh! Yeah, I looked at some of these the other day too. They're nice, aren't they? I remember a few of them. We used to pass some of these houses on the way to school in the morning. I'm a huge fan of the black one." The black one being a cabin-like themed home. The clapboard on the outer part of the house was all black with white brick on the second half. It was older, and definitely needed updating. "Do you like that one too?" Josh asked curiously. Evie knew that tone of voice.

"You're not actually planning on buying a house, are you?" Evie blurted out in surprise, "We're not gonna be there long enough to live in a house." At least, she hoped they weren't going to be there long enough for a house. Josh shrugged, "I mean I wouldn't mind having a house there. It's my hometown. I've always wanted a house there and I mean... We do have a kiddo like... coming." Evie glances down briefly, pursing her lips together. Right. Baby. It was hard to remember that sometimes since she wasn't really showing yet. "I'd actually like to have a home there for you to be in. I was raised in that town. It was beautiful then, it's beautiful now. It's safe too. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket yet, but it would be a nice place for you to be while I'm out touring or something."

The price tag was $400,000. An amount of money only Evie could fathom. "What... was it like growing up in Frankenmuth?" she asked curiously, "You talk so highly about it."

"For good reason!" Josh chuckled, "I told you we had a big woods to explore. My brothers and I would hang out practically all day out in the woods until our mom called us in. When we got older, we'd film movies out there with friends. There was a silence and simplicity to it. Our next door neighbors had cows that we'd feed treats too. It felt simple but it wasn't all at the same time."

Evie thought back to the big white house she'd fled from in the middle of the night all those years ago. "Sounds infinitely better than what I grew up doing," Evie replied, a hint of sadness in her voice, "I've never fed a cow before."

"That's easily changeable," Josh gets up again, beckoning for Evie to follow, "My parents haven't left that house for 30 years. Our neighbor still has cows 30 years later. Maybe you can even pet one." Evie takes a seat at the bar while Josh returns to his dish cleaning. "What else did you do growing up?" Evie props her head on her hands, "We obviously didn't go on vacations or day trips like normal families did when I was growing up. I like hearing about other people's trips."

"Well," Josh sighed thoughtfully, "Our grandparents live up farther north near this place called Lake Nettie. We'd go up to visit and always stopped at Ocqueoc Falls, even Mackinac Island. They don't have cars or anything motorized on that island, very cool. Lots of walking. We had lots of friends with parents or grandparents that had lake homes on Houghton Lake. I can't tell you how many lakes I've swam in."

"Man, that sounds like fun..." Evie mumbled, her mind wandering at the possibility of visiting a lake. That was something she'd love to do. "Lakes for me growing up were the public pool," Evie chuckled, "We had a YMCA down the street that our friends had a membership too. And there was a creek behind our house but, it was always too cold to go swimming in it."

"I would imagine it would since it's Vermont," Josh snorted, "But that never stopped us as kids. I even had a leech once."

"Oh, eww! I didn't know leeches were in Michigan!"

"There are like, 40 different species of leeches in Michigan," Josh was drying the last dish now, "I would know because, I have had them on me. Multiple times."

Evie shudders. Leeches. "I guess I won't be getting into the water barefoot."

"You know, I'll take you to all those places, right?"

"What? To get leeches?"

"No!" Josh chuckled, "I'll take you to the lakes, the cows and maybe even some new places. We'll have plenty of time to do things outside in the next few months, I think."

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

9.5K 237 50
It had been almost 5 years since Farren's world got flipped upside down. She moved across the country, got new friends, even a new relationship. Thin...
3.6K 28 9
Apparently I have a thing for Jake with older women and Jake with kids, I honestly don't know why. (Published all on July 16th, 2021)
14.4K 409 69
Ophelia, or Opie as her friends call her, meets the band after a show in Nashville. The twins are smitten immediately, and drama ensues. After a deci...
19.1K 457 22
They agreed on a summer fling, but can they really let each other go?