Brothers

(( A/N: Anyone down for the idea of these chapters being longer?? This is gonna be a really long series if I don't start making chapters longer XD ))

The doorbell rang at around 4pm that evening just as Josh was putting the finishing touches on the side dishes. Along with the puttanesca that he'd slaved over, he'd made a nice hot vegan artichoke dip that Evie couldn't stop sneaking bites of. When she wasn't swiping the dip, Evie had hopped in to help Josh make a bread to go with dinner. Evie had made bread many times before but not vegan bread. It was weird to make bread without eggs or oil but surprisingly, it turned out to be a nice crusty, crunchy bread. Granted, it was a little more spongey than she was used to but it was still very tasty. "I'll let them in," Josh said, finishing up drying his hands, "Take the plate out to the garden area. There's a nice little picnic table we can eat at," he snaps his fingers a bit, muttering himself as he leaves the kitchen, "I knew it was smart to invest in one of those."

As the chatter started up from the front door, Evie headed outside to the patio area that was just by the kitchen area. She didn't have much of a chance to go out here and check it out. It was a tiny backyard, maybe big enough to park a small car in. But he was able to squeeze in the wooden picnic table that he seemed so proud of. Outside was cool, the weather was now finally starting to warm up after having such a chilly winter. The sun was sinking over the horizon, bathing the backyard in a warm orange light. But, Josh had preemptively turned on the string lights just in case they stayed out longer. The main dish was already sitting in the middle of the table with the bread and Josh had already set out the plates and napkins.

While they'd been cooking dinner, Evie had finally figured out how she was going to reveal her relationship. She'd gone and investigated the rest of the boys' pages and found they also had a tendency to be a little secretive. Cryptic words, riddles and pictures that were strange. She figured, every time she posted something of Josh, she'd make the photo vague and the message cryptic but tag it like it was a regular post. At least until the fans caught on. She'd gotten a picture of him eating a slice of tomato that had been zoomed in on, and got an instant like from Josh. "You think my stubble is coming in too badly?" he'd asked, "I'm thinking about growing it out."

Stepping back inside, Evie's greeted with the loud chatter of the guys who'd migrated to the kitchen. She couldn't see them yet and they couldn't see her. They'd met once before, but it felt so much more... scary? That was a good word for it. She had to make a good impression this time. This was going to be her family. She smoothes down her blouse and takes a deep breath. The moment she steps into the kitchen space, all eyes are on her and the chatter quiets down. But it only lasts for a moment as Josh's voice is the first to break through the static that was filling her head, "There she is!" he says, rounding the kitchen island to slide an arm around her waist which made her feel just a little bit better, "I know we've all met once before it um... strange circumstances but that is behind us now. Gentlemen, this is Evie."

She musters a small 'hello' and a nervous smile that was returned with some just as awkward hellos from the guys. Another small moment of silence follows until one of the young men seated at the counter finally pipes up. He was definitely one of Josh's brothers but not the twin. "We're sorry for uh– spooking you that first time around," he says, "I promise we're not mean. We were just really tired that day and a little pissed at Josh for not showing up."

"Yeah," the boy next to him agreed, Evie guessing that he must be the twin since he looked exactly like Josh, "It was definitely a bit of a morning. But, we're happy to re-meet you, I guess?"

"It's nice to re-meet you guys too," Evie said, "Especially under better circumstances. I felt so awkward and I hoped I wouldn't see you all again because I was so embarrassed."