We're Strangers, Aren't We?

When she felt composed enough to drive, Evie made her way to Starbucks. As silly as it was, a venti iced matcha latte was her comfort drink and tended to make her feel better whenever she had a bad night. Long ago the bad nights had been hangover riddled mornings but now it was this. A mental breakdown. With her drink, she made her way out of the city and towards the back roads to a spot she knew she could be alone to think for a while.

It was a quiet little town that sat on the edge of the river that was about 20 minutes away from her apartment. There was a park and several docks that one could fish off of but most of the time there wasn't anyone there. Luckily for Evie, the docks were empty and the park was devoid of children. She takes a seat at the edge of the dock and brings her knees up to her chest. How had her perfect Tinder date turned into this? She'd really only known Josh for about a month now and now she was carrying his child. If she wasn't going to be in the spotlight, she definitely would be now. Fans would know. His brothers would know. They'd think she was a slut. Just a gold digger coming after his money even though he'd been nothing but kind to her.

Her phone chimes. It's him. She knows it's him probably wondering why he hadn't heard from her in over an hour. Reluctantly she takes her phone from her pocket and reads the text on the home screen. "Are you okay?"

What if he didn't want to be with her when she told him? What if he breaks up with her and leaves her to deal with this mess? Evie opens up her phone and reads the last text from him over and over while contemplating what to reply. Of if she should even reply. Maybe she should just call him or ask him to come here? She wondered which one would hurt less? If she got to see his smile fade into anger or him blocking her number. She pressed the photo at the top of their conversation. It was a picture of him that she'd taken at the museum. He was smiling so big. For a moment, her thumb hesitantly hovered over the call button. Him breaking up with her was the worst that could happen and it would definitely soften the blow if she didn't see his face.

She presses the button. It rings a few times before Josh picks up. "Hello?" Evie could hear faint chatter of men's voices in the background. "You okay Evie?"

Her words were stuck to her throat. "I um..." she shuddered, patting her shoulder roughly, "It's... not Covid."

A small, yet relieved, laugh comes through the receiver, "That's good. Did they find out what it was though?"

Emotions started to build and she felt her chest grow heavy. How did she tell him? She could feel a lump forming in her throat which choked out her next response, "Yeah..."

The quiet that followed was Josh's confusion, "What's the matter?" he asked, "I mean if it's not Covid–"

"I'm pregnant."

She blurts it out without hesitation trying her best to hold back the tears again. The silence from the other side was heavy. But he remained on the line, "What?" he asked, "You... you are?"

"Yeah," Evie choked out the words, "I-I'm sorry. I just... I would've called you as soon as I got out but I didn't know what to tell you. Or how. I– I'm scared, Josh. I was worried you'd be mad at me."

"I'm not mad," Josh replied, "I'm not mad at all. I'm... surprised. Maybe a little shocked. But... I'm far from mad. Where... Where are you? Can I see you so we can talk?"

Evie glances around the scenery as a heavy sigh leaves her body, "I'm at... this place near the river. You don't have to come here. It's dangerous with the virus and all... and I know you're busy." Between the muffled chatter she could hear in the background there was the occasional strum of a guitar and what sounded like someone hitting something hollow. But it wasn't drums. "We're not really that busy," Josh chuckled, "We're brainstorming right now. There's a few more songs that we wanna get just right. But– that's besides the point. It's been a few hours, I think we could use a break and I could come see you."