The Events After Lord Of The...

By LonelyStar717

The world is at peace. With the war over, new adventures have begun, and new friendships have sprouted. But w... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 19

54 4 3
By LonelyStar717

  Aragorn bustled around the small hobbit home, filling carry bags with supplies they would need on the trip. Well, more like a journey. Who knew how long it would take to find the hobbits and a runaway elf? Days? Weeks? Months? Well, it did take a while for the dwarves to reach Erebor, then they had to fight a dragon. That took ages. Dunno how long, but it was long. And the Fellowship, can't forget that. That took ages, and if your calculations and memory were correct, it took about 185 days. Something around there. That's like...6 months! And how long had you and the others been travelling? Well...that you couldn't quite remember. A few days, maybe? But then again you'd been unconscious for a few days, which would add on. You sighed. This could take months. True, you had always been a massive fan of the Lord of the Rings, and always dreamed of going on an adventure with them, but once you're in one, things seemed completely different than what you'd dreamed back on earth. It was all so real, all more terrifying. People died, and everything was so dangerously beautiful. It was so...real. You sighed again and shook off the unnerving feeling about, well...everything. Your weapons were already strapped to you, so you were all ready to go. You, Aragorn and Gimli had discussed a plan about an hour ago, and it seemed relatively simple. Though you did not like it. They had decided to go after the hobbits, for there were three of them, and if they got separated (which they probably already were) it would cause a lot more trouble than if they went after Legolas. Legolas was only one, and he couldn't cause too much damage. But, as you'd desperately tried to remind Aragorn, he was an elf and could seriously hurt someone. Aragorn understood but reminded you yet again that he was strong and could fight off the shadow far longer than the hobbits could, preventing him from doing something unspeakable. You'd reluctantly agreed, forced into understanding. Sighing yet again, you leaned against the window sill, staring outside. It was evening, the sun slowly setting.

"You sigh a lot." You turned around to see Aragorn approaching you, a small bag by his side.

You cracked him a grin, though it did not reach your eyes. "Yeah."

He joined you by the window, peering outside. At last he turned and met your eyes. "You miss him, don't you?"

Confused and slightly embarrassed, you tore your gaze away from his and continued to stare out the window, flustered. "I-I'm not sure what you're talking about."

"Oh, I think you do." Aragorn was still staring at you.

You couldn't keep your defences up any longer. You lowered your head, a long sigh escaping you. "Yeah, yeah I do."

"I do too." You looked up into Aragorn's soft, grey eyes. "He is a great friend. But I feel there is something more than friendship between you and the elf."

You blinked hard, staring at the ground. He'd figured it out. Then again, Gimli had. So of course the king of Gondor would follow up soon. "I guess there's no use in denying it, then." You sniffed, wiping your nose. You felt tears prick your eyes, but you refused to let them fall.

"Aye." There was a long silence for a moment.

"But there's something else." Aragorn looked up, surprise glinting in his eyes. "I...I don't know if it's real. If what he said was real."

"What did he say?" Aragorn pressed gently.

"He–He told me he...well, it was more actions than words, but we basically told each other we loved each other." You felt your throat tighten with emotion. "But I'll never know if it was real, or if it was the shadow using him to get close to me this whole time."

Aragorn was silent for a moment, his grey eyes thoughtful. "He meant true, Y/n. Legolas would never lie about something like that, taken over by a black shadowy void or not. He is true to his word."

You felt a little more reassured, and you felt your heart lift a little lighter. You gave Aragorn a grateful smile. "Thank you," you whispered.

Aragorn flashed his own back, patting your shoulder. "Now come, it is time we leave."

~~~

You were all gathered around the small living room of the Brandybuck's, the Brandybuck's themselves present, Saradoc and Esmeralda Brandybuck. They both wore equal looks of disdain displayed on their faces. They were not all too pleased about your small group taking shelter in their home, much less having to heal someone, and having extra mouths to feed. But because they knew of what had fallen their son, Merry, they knew that things had to be done, and that this small group was the only people who could help save him. But that didn't mean that they were gonna be any nicer about it.

"Thank you for allowing us to stay here," Aragorn began, addressing the whole group, including Sam and Rose. "We intend to leave immediately and return your son to you as quickly as possible."

"You better," Saradoc grumbled. Esmeralda elbowed her husband and made an effort to put a smile on her face.

"Please do return our son," Esmeralda said. "We'd hate anything to happen to him. Thank you for what you're doing."

"We only want to restore peace to Middle Earth and all the creatures that inhabit it," Aragorn responded. "Thank you again for your hospitality, but we must be going now. Once this war is over, we will send our thanks from Minas Tirith with treasures beyond your imagination."

The two Brandybuck's eyes widened in amazement. "T-that's not necessary..." Esmeralda started, but Saradoc cut her off.

"We would be very pleased with your offer, my king," Saradoc said hurriedly. He gave Esmeralda a pointed look.

"Y-yes, thank you my king," Esmeralda stammered.

Aragorn narrowed his eyes slightly but ignored their selfish wishes. He turned to Rose and Sam. "Thank you for your assistance, young hobbits. Without your help, Y/n here might have been lost to us forever." You gave a sheepish smile. "We will send you our thanks once this is all over, but I hope our thanks now is quite enough."

"No reward is required, my king," Rose said humbly. "We were just simply helping someone in need, and to Sam, it meant everything."

Sam looked slightly embarrassed. "I'm just glad I had an opportunity to help old friends," he mumbled. "I was wondering...if it might not be too much to ask...might I come with you? I know of the dangers you may encounter, and I am willing to pull my weight in the company. Besides, I really want to make sure that my friends are ok."

Aragorn studied Sam for a long moment, then gave the smallest of nods. "Very well, Master Samwise. You may come. But be aware that this journey is full of perilous twists and turns, we do not know what might occur."

"Thank you, sir," Sam said, relief in his eyes. "It means the world to me. I will help in every way I can."

"There will be no need to call me sir, Sam," Aragorn said, a smile in his eyes. "Aragorn will suffice."

"Of course, Aragorn," Sam said, delighted. But his delight turned to a sad atmosphere as he turned to his wife. "Rosie, I am sorry but I must go."

Rose cupped his face with her hands, smiling at him, but there was a glimmer of sadness in her eyes. "Do not be sorry, Sam. Your friends are out there. They need you. Go save the world."

"Yes ma'am," Sam murmured, then leaned in for a kiss. You looked away, feeling sick. Ok, yes, you and Legolas had kissed, but seeing it done on other people just made you queasy. But that wasn't the only feeling you'd looked away. It'd jolted a feeling of longing in you that you'd never felt before, something so strong that if you didn't have friends around you it would have swept you away. You held back the tears and returned your focus to what was happening, Sam and Rose now saying their farewells. Once it was done, Sam was sent off to pack what things he could. Esmeralda was more than happy to help, Saradoc less enthusiastic. Since they could not return to Sam's house, they had to use what things they could from the Brandybucks. And, unfortunately, there was little. But they mainly focused on food and water, as well as other important supplies such as as little sleeping equipment as possible, and many other small things that could fit into their small bags. Finally satisfied, Sam returned with a packed back, cooking supplies resting on his back. You raised an eyebrow.

"Hey, you never know when you might need to spring up a meal," Sam said seriously.

You stifled a laugh and turned your attention to Aragorn. The king nodded and nodded to them. "Let's go."

~~~

"So, tell me about yourself Sam."

You were all travelling through the Shire, Sam guiding them the way out. Farmers were attending to their fields, gardeners to their yards, and fisherman by the river, preparing to push off their boats. It was a glorious sunny day, the sky clear and barely a cloud in sight. Birdsong gave an upbeat atmosphere, and dogs' excited barks could be heard in the distance. It was a strange sensation, really, being in a place that was so calm, and knowing that the outside world was in near turmoil. Or would be. No one in the Shire besides the Brandybucks knew of the events that occured the previous night, so everyone was continuing their daily routine as usual, no worry being spread around in the peaceful place.

Sam stared ahead, thinking. "Well," he started, "There's not much to say really. I'm a hobbit, you see, and us hobbits don't do much, you must understand. We are a peaceful people, no fighting I should say."

"Well, I'd beg to differ," you said, a small smile tugging at the corners of your mouth. "I believe Samwise Gamjee to be the hobbit who travelled a perilous journey with the Fellowship of the Ring, and, set with undying loyalty to Frodo, carried him all the way up to Mount Doom, and fought off Shelob herself! Not to mention the one and only hobbit to encourage Frodo the whole way of the journey, keeping Frodo from tipping to the control of the Ring. Does this sound familiar?"

Sam's face had gone quite red; he ducked his head in embarrassment. "Well–not to brag, ma'am–but yes that does sound a lot like the heroic Samwise who once travelled with the Fellowship."

You let out a huff of laughter. "Indeed. You spread courage to the edges of Middle-Earth, Sam. You should be proud of yourself."

Sam looked up from the ground and gave you a curious look. "What about you, may I ask? I have not come across you I believe in all my days of travel."

"You wouldn't have," you responded, deciding to tell him everything. There was no point hiding it from him, since you had a rough idea of what he was like from the movies and your small time spent with him. Besides, he was part of the company now. "I just got here, actually. A few days ago. I think. I've lost count. Anyway, I'm from another universe. I somehow got here, and I've lost all my memories. But I'm slowly regaining them back. Then I met these two, and Legolas who is–" you felt your throat tighten with emotion but pushed it away, "--unfortunately not with us now, and they let me join their quest to Mirkwood, which was fun. I took down King Thranduil!"

Now Sam looked really impressed. "King Thranduil? As in the King of Mirkwood? That can't be possible!"

"Well, it was more a team effort to tell the truth...Legolas helped a little bit," you admitted.

Sam cracked a smile. "I've never been inside the halls of Mirkwood, but I have heard the stories, all right. They sound amazing, with stories of vast wooden halls glowing in golden light with beautiful lithe warriors everywhere. And not to mention Thranduil, the greatest description given yet, though I doubt any mere description can fully describe his magnificence. Clad in robes of silver, hair like the snow and piercing blue eyes that stare right through your soul. And the crown, the beautiful wooden crown with beautiful plants that we hobbits will never get to lay eyes on embedded in the smooth wood. If I ever had the chance to lay eyes upon that kingdom and its King, I would never hesitate on the chance."

You were surprised at his knowledge of the king and the palace. "The stories are quite descriptive, aren't they?" you chuckled.

Sam blushed. "Well, yes they are, ma'am. And the rest you leave up to your imagination."

"Indeed." You smiled down at the hobbit fondly. "There is no need for pleasantries, Sam. You can call me Y/n."

"Thank you, Y/n," Sam smiled. "Pleasure to meet you, and I hope we can get to know each other more along this journey. But, look ahead, we are nearing the border."

You followed Sam's gaze and realised that he was right. The shire was behind them now, and they were in a forest. Aragorn took a couple long strides forward and kneeled down to the ground, brushing away the leaves that happened to fall. He looked up. "Spread out, see if you can see any signs of the hobbits."

You all spread out, searching the ground for signs of them. There weren't many footprints this far out of the Shire, for hobbits rarely set foot outside of it. Well, unless you were Bilbo Baggins or part of the Fellowship. Different story there. You kneeled down beside a particularly prickly bush, checking around it. Nothing. You walked over to the foot of a tree, circling it. Still nothing. Sighing, you placed your hands on your hips and looked around. Suddenly you saw something. Now, ordinary eyes would never have picked out a peculiar set of footprints from your distance. But you were no ordinary being, you remembered with a shiver of excitement. You were an elf. Which meant you had elf sight. You jogged over to the pair of footprints, kneeling down beside it. It looked rather heavy, the grass pressed down flat against the earth. And it was large, larger than any footprint you'd ever seen. The hobbits had definitely come this way.

"Aragorn! I found them!"

The sound of Aragorn's footsteps thundered over to you, including the hobbit and dwarf. They all gathered around the set of footprints, eagerly trying to analyse it. Aragorn gently touched it, narrowing his eyes. "It is at least a couple days old. They would have gotten quite a heads start."

"Where would they go?" Gimli searched the ground for more sets of footprints leading in any direction. "Where would the shadow want them to go?"

"Who knows?" Aragorn sighed. "The trail leads off that way–" Aragorn points into a denser part of the forest– "The stops dead. We don't have much of a lead."

"Well, I'll take any lead I can take." You began to walk in the direction of the dense forest, only to pause when no one followed you. You sighed and turned around. "What?"

Gimli was the first to break the silence. "Your ears," he whispered.

"What about them–" You broke off as you reached up to touch the tip of them. Your fingers brushed the tip, only to find that they were longer round and smooth at the top, but long and pointy like an elf. You froze in shock. "I guess it's true." True, you'd decided that it made sense that you were an elf, but you'd still had your doubts.

"Indeed." Aragorn rose from where he kneeled and walked over to you, laying a hand on your shoulder. "Welcome, master elleth."

You couldn't resist a massive smile breaking out on your face. This was so cool. "Let's go get those hobbits."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 3.9K 44
❝There's some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.❞ - Samwise Gamgee After Erebor was reclaimed Athena reu...
111K 2.8K 77
A fellowship is formed to destroy the One Ring to save middle-Earth. They withstand lost, battles, war. What they hadn't reckoned was Ethir - lost bl...
8.1K 300 71
Esmeralda West moves into the Shire with her uncle, a few houses down from the Bagginses. As years pass, young Frodo tries to break her out of her sh...
1.8K 194 29
In the heart of the cursed Mirkwood Forest, Legolas, the prince of the woodland realm, is haunted by an inexplicable feeling of being watched. Unbekn...