Coffee and Cafés - Book Two o...

By Camlaaarr

Book Two of the Café Latte Trilogy. Tom Ramsdale has always helped people. He helped friends through their st... More

Cappuccino, Extra Shot
Espresso
Americano
Irish Coffee
Tea
Babyccino
Mocha
Caramel Latte
Cortado
Coffee Withdrawals
Medicinal Cappuccinos
Espresso Martini
Herbal Tea
Hazelnut Latte
Hot Chocolate
Flat White
Iced Caramel Macchiato
Affogato
Ristretto
Galão
Con Panna
Romano
Decaf
Vanilla Frappe
Birthday Coffee
Welcome Home Coffee
Café au Lait
Mocha Macchiato
Coffee Liqueur
Real Italian Coffee
In-Flight Cappuccino
One Final Espresso

Iced Latte, Searing Hot

26.6K 1K 230
By Camlaaarr

Iced Latte, Searing Hot

During the next week, I barely spoke with Angelo. It wasn't my choice, although thanks to my conversation with Jasper I was very grateful I didn't have to face my boss now. Angelo was very busy with a ton of different things, but most notably his sister's kids. I'd heard tons about Della and Felicity, and how much Angelo was involved in their lives.

"Is Cinzia married?" I asked Misa.

"Hm?" she asked, and I repeated the question. "Oh, no, she isn't."

"Is she on good terms with the father of Della and Felicity?" I asked nosily, and then blushed. "Not to be, super inappropriate or anything. I'm just curious - Angelo just seems very involved with the family."

"No father around, as far as I can tell," Misa shrugged. "That's all I really know about it. She takes care of them well, Angelo just helps her out when she's overwhelmed. It can be difficult to look after them. But they're good kids."

That was all the information I was going to get, mostly because it was all anyone seemed to know. Everyone here was so open about their lives, their families, their relationships, but Angelo was quiet during any of those conversations. Ian told me about his wife, Prudence, and how she hated to be called anything but Pru, so he'd gone through a phase of calling her Peru. Misa had shared a tale or two about her disastrous ex-boyfriends. Barbie had shrugged when I asked her about a partner, and quietly added that she didn't like relationships. Even Chris had said 'fuck that noise' in response to my asking if he had a partner.

But Angelo was quiet. He never joined in, and if I directly asked he just smiled and said, "Long story." I couldn't help feeling intrigued, and I was honestly glad that I was intrigued; my brain focused on that, rather than how hot he was.

"Tom," Angelo called from his office, the door open.

"Yeah?" I poked my head in, finding him poring over a list. I blinked in surprise at his appearance; he looked exhausted. I saw dark circles under his eyes, and his posture wasn't his usual confident self; he was hunched over. "Uh, you okay? You look tired."

He smiled wearily. "I am tired. Can you get me a coffee? Misa is on break, and my coffee machine is out of pods."

"Sure, thank you," I replied.

"Thank you?" he enquired.

I grinned. "Haven't had a coffee in four hours. What do you want? I'll go to that place round the corner, the cute one that does the cupcakes that look like little cats."

"Thanks," Angelo sighed gratefully. "I'll have a, uhh, an iced latte. Caramel. Searing hot." He realised his mistake and groaned, putting his head in his hands. "I'm never having kids."

"Entirely reasonable," I grinned. "I'll get you one of each. Hang tight."

*****

Ian was, as Harper had so accurately put it, a force of nature. I barely saw him, and when I did it felt like he was in a cartoon, speeding past me leaving nothing but a cloud of dust. Barbie was busy too, focusing hard on the finances behind the event. It was her task to try and budget Ian's creative vision, making sure he stayed within the budget for the event so we made as much money as we could for the charities it was for. I needed to ask about some admin, but my usual ports of call were out of order.

Chris was less busy, so I approached him for the run-down of the event. "Uh, hey," I greeted him, knocking on his office door. "You got a minute?"

"Sure," Chris nodded, barely looking up to see who it was. "What's up?"

"Ian and Barbie are just super busy," I explained. "I wouldn't have bothered you, but Misa's with Angelo in a video meeting and I need some information."

Chris smiled slightly; it was the first smile I'd seen him give me. "Tom, I know I'm a bit distracted, but you don't have to justify coming to me with a question. What's up?"

It was the first time I'd heard him say two full sentences without saying 'fuck', which unnerved me more than it should have done. "Just about the event," I said, walking into the office properly, sitting on the chair opposite him. "Misa mentioned it's for three charities, but I can only find contact information for two of them - the one about helping trans youth and the one that provides grants to trans adults for surgery. What's the third?"

"Oh, right," Chris nodded. "Matt's fucking filing system was to 'put stuff places', I guess it's just gotten fucking lost somewhere. It's a bit grim that it's a necessary thing, but it's for a Samaritans-type hotline for trans people, they train the phone operators in like, trans issues and the gender services in the UK. Just helps provide more specific help for people who feel suicidal."

"Right," I nodded, and sighed. "Yeah, it sucks that that's a necessary thing."

"Yep, the world fucking sucks," Chris replied. "I'll email you the info."

I heard voices in the communal room and looked over my shoulder to see Misa and Angelo in a somewhat heated conversation. "Thanks, Chris," I said, getting up to leave. I hurried into the communal room and asked, "Are you two okay?"

Angelo sighed. "Yes, it's nothing-"

"I'll look after Della and Fliss," Misa suggested, her hands on her hips. "Angelo, you cannot miss the gala, it's important. There are so many potential donors there. Just, trust me with this, Cinzia likes me!"

Angelo groaned. "I promised C I'd be there-"

Misa took out her phone. "Just let me call her and explain, she'll understand. Della and Fliss will understand. I promise, I'm good with kids."

Sighing, Angelo considered her suggestion, and then reluctantly nodded. "Fine, but if she's not okay with it, then I'm not going to the gala, and we'll just have to deal with it."

Misa smiled triumphantly and quickly went into our office, closing the door behind her. I looked at Angelo, and said, "If my opinion is welcome, I think you should blow off both the gala and your sister, go home and get some sleep. You've been over-working yourself."

I had expected to be told I was overstepping, but Angelo just looked at me in complete surprise. He rubbed the back of his head absent-mindedly and said, "Yes, I suppose I have been." He sat down at one of the desks. "Misa is right, though, this gala is important. But my sister... well, she's more important to me than anything."

"That's probably the way it should be," I leaned against the desk. "But I think she'd also tell you that your wellbeing should be your priority right now. How late does the gala run?"

"Not too late," he replied. "It's mostly the mental energy I have to exert - usually, I'm more organised than this, but Cinzia's been having a lot of problems with Della and Fliss recently. I don't know, it comes in waves. They'll settle back down again soon."

I smiled. "You're a good uncle."

"Thank you," he replied, and then offered me a guilty smile. "The other problem is that I entirely forgot to sort a plus-one for the gala. If you're not busy, would you mind coming with me?"

"I, uhh, how come?" I asked. 

Nice one, Tom, super smooth.

"Well, it'll be good for me to show you how we network at events," Angelo explained, and then added ruefully, "and also, my friends outside of work have informed me that they'd rather shoot themselves in the face than go to another gala."

I laughed. "Well, I don't want to sound too sad, but I have no plans tonight, so that's fine by me."

Reeeeeeally smooth.

"Thank you, I appreciate it," he sounded grateful. "And I'm sorry your first week has been a bit hectic, it's been a bit of a nightmare around here. I do recognise that you're settling in well, and the re-organisation was a huge help. Perhaps next week I can schedule you in for some proper feedback."

"That sounds good," I nodded. "But again, focus on your wellbeing first. I'm happy just going along where I'm needed until you've actually got some time to talk with me about other responsibilities, okay?"

"Okay," he replied, and broke into a smile. I'd only seen Angelo give me and the others tight, small smiles that seemed to be more perfunctory than anything else. This was the lazy, big smile I had seen once before, and I felt my heart leap into my throat. "You're a very kind person, Tom," he told me, and I knew I must have looked flustered, because he added, "I'm sorry if compliments embarrass you. I always forget how uncomfortable British people are with that."

I laughed sheepishly. "Yes, we aren't very good at accepting them or giving them. But I think my upbringing makes me a little different."

"Oh?" he asked, intrigued.

"My mothers compliment everything about a person that they can find, especially my mother Lucie," I couldn't help laughing at the thought of Lucie meeting Angelo and having a compliment-off. "My friends generally speaking spend ninety percent of a conversation roasting each other, but we're also much more touchy-feely than most people around here."

Angelo nodded. "It was strange, adjusting from Italy to America, but even more strange adjusting from both of those to the UK. I was so used to greeting my friends with kisses on the cheek; it's just how we do it. Here, though, people only seem to do that if you're really close, or family. The cultural differences are certainly much larger than I'd expected."

"Yeah, I get that," I nodded. "Not in the cultural way, but - I grew up in a big LGBT community, and my mothers are big on hugs and kisses, so we all just learned to be more intimate than other groups."

"That's nice, though," he replied. "To grow up in a community that is supportive and teaches good lessons. I like that."

I was going to respond, surprised by how easy it was to talk to him about things like this, but Misa interrupted us by opening the door. "Cinzia says that's fine," she informed Angelo. "Well, she actually said 'oh that'll be nice!', so HA, I was right."

Smiling affectionately, Angelo looked at me and said, "I suppose I will in fact need you as my plus-one, then."

"I look forward to learning how we persuade very rich people to give us their money," I nodded as though it was the most serious thing in the world, and then smiled. "I should probably get a suit."

*****

I had to admit; anyone looked good in a suit. I was dolled up in the suit and a light smattering of make-up that Harper applied for me. Angelo had sent a cab for me, as he had been in too big a rush to accompany me directly to the gala. It was specifically for the Royal Opera House, and had singers performing on a huge stage with an orchestra.

Upon entering, I was offered a glass of champagne, but declined politely. This was, after all, a work event for me. I scanned the room, attempting to find Angelo, but couldn't see him. It was very busy, but I saw the bar and decided to get something non-alcoholic. I recognised a couple of people from shows I had seen broadcast from the Royal Opera House to cinemas around the country, and tried not to fangirl.

"Tom?"

I wheeled around on my heel to locate the familiar voice, finding the biggest dickhead in business around. "Ross?" I frowned. "What are you doing here?"

He gestured to the room, looking at me funny. "Attending a gala. For work. What are you doing here?"

"Uh," I replied. "Attending a gala. For work."

Ross looked around. "Alone?"

"I'm meeting Angelo, he had to rush here from the office," I explained. "Jasper with you?"

"No, he's too busy," he said, and I couldn't help but notice that he looked a bit put-out over that fact. "It's a shame, he'd be good here - he's better at the social stuff than me." He nodded towards the bar. "Drink?"

"Mocktail," I warned him as we approached the bar together, and he nodded, ordering me something fruity and fizzy. Looking at Ross, you wouldn't think he was my friend that went to gay bars in leather and fucked my best friend in the alleyway. "You look almost respectable," I grinned.

"I like to think this is my Clark Kent side," Ross smirked, handing me the mocktail. "So, networking, or are you drumming up donations?"

"A bit of both, I think," I took a huge gulp of my drink. "Mm, that's good, thank you. I don't know how to drum up donations, though."

Ross shrugged. "It's pretty easy," he said. "It just depends on the crowd." He swirled his glass lazily, looking out at the crowd. "This is quite a mixed group in terms of wealth and importance, so it's vital to know how to approach each one. Some of them are so rich that donations to your place will be like a drop in the ocean. They'll make donations because it's expected of them. Some of them have less money, but they're social climbers or newly rich - they're the ones you want to target."

I looked at him in alarm. "You're a little too good at this."

Ross' eyes narrowed as he smiled, reminding me that he was absolutely still the guy that I knew, just decorated in a fancy suit. "Just pretend you're more important than they are, and they'll grovel at your feet in a desperate need to be on your level. It's fun."

"Evil," I nudged him. "I have to locate Angelo, anyway. Have you seen him? Tall. Dark hair. Really hot."

Ross nodded to the left. "That him?"

I looked over, spying a familiar figure. "Yeah that's..."

My words trailed off and I felt my jaw almost pop open in surprise. He was in a tight-fitting grey suit, a thick gold watch adorning his wrist and his hair neatly styled. A thousand new fantasies brutally shoved their way into my head as I saw he was wearing glasses.

"That's...?" Ross prompted me, amused. "Lost for words, Ramsdale?"

I cleared my throat, waving to catch Angelo's attention. He spotted me and waved, heading over. Ross leaned in and muttered, "Do you like him?"

"He's a good boss, yeah," I replied diplomatically.

"Oh don't give me that," Ross snorted. "Do you like him? If you do, I'll try figure out if he likes guys. I can't tell, and that's weird for me."

"Fine," I groaned. "A little bit, yeah. Who wouldn't? Jasper did."

Ross pointed to the nearby wall. "Mention Jasper finding him attractive again and I'll bang your head into that wall. Jasper is not allowed to like anyone more attractive than me."

I grinned. "Are you admitting he's more attractive than you?"

"I'll deny it if you bring it up later," Ross snorted, then nodded to the approaching Angelo. "Lover-boy is here."

Angelo reached us, thankfully not hearing what Ross had muttered, and said, "Tom, thank you for coming. Sorry I couldn't be there to pick you up, my sister... well, that doesn't matter." He smiled apologetically and said, "You look very nice."

"Thank you, so do you," I said. What an understatement. "This is my friend, Ross Stone, he owns Joss."

"Ah, yes," Angelo shook his hand warmly. "I know one of your clients, Bolton, they speak very highly of you."

"Ross, this is Angelo, my new boss," I introduced him, although I really had no need to; Ross clearly knew who it was.

"Nice to meet you," Ross said politely. I had to hide a smile; somehow, seeing Ross introduce himself to an attractive man without flirting was bizarre. Fighting the urge to laugh, I turned to Angelo. "How's Cinzia?" I asked him, as I noticed he looked less exhausted than he had during the day.

"Oh, she is fine," he smiled at my concern, but seemed reluctant to elaborate. "Thank you for asking. So, Ross, I have to ask, why the name Joss?"

"Oh," Ross looked smug for a moment, and I didn't bother hiding my smile at the pride that exuded from him when the topic turned to Jasper. "My partner's name is Jasper, I just clumsily combined the names in a desperate attempt to persuade him to work with me when I started the business."

Angelo was clearly entertained by the thought. "That's brave. It worked, I take it?"

I laughed, remembering the day he had awkwardly taken Jasper outside of Café Latte and finally handed him that damn business card. "It was cute. I don't know what you would have done if he'd said no."

"Awkwardly find someone called John or something," Ross grinned.

"So, how do you two know each other?" Angelo asked, noting the familiarity between me and Ross.

"How long do you have?" I joked. "I've known Ross since I was around eight. I got adopted by my mothers when they were friends with him. He'd been living with them for a while."

Ross smiled. "Yeah, if you want any embarrassing childhood photos of Tom, give me a shout."

"Do not do that," I told Angelo sternly. "I'll quit without working my notice."

Angelo gave me that lazy smile of his and my chest thumped with a heartbeat that seemed determined to escape my body. "I promise, no embarrassing childhood photos, especially as you will likely meet my sister soon and she could send much worse."

"Excellent," I pretended to plot, tapping my fingers together evilly. "In all fairness, I've got plenty of embarrassing photos of Ross, they're just not of him as a kid."

Ross grinned widely. "I stand by all of those moments."

"Jasper would have worse," I mused thoughtfully. "But I'm not sure I'd want to witness any of those photos." When I spotted Angelo looked confused, I clarified, "Jasper is Ross' boyfriend, not just business partner."

"Ah," Angelo's confusion lifted. "I apologise, I thought perhaps you two were together."

Ross and I both replied hastily with, "god, no," and then looked at each other. I said, "Excuse you, Ross Daniel Stone, I think you would be blessed to have me as a partner."

Ross snorted. "I'd love to see Jenny's face if I tried to have a relationship with you, dude. I like my balls intact and attached to my body."

"My mother," I explained to Angelo's quizzical face. "Let's move swiftly away from the thought of a relationship between us, because ew."

"What about you, Angelo?" Ross asked, about as subtle as a punch in the face. "Partner?"

Angelo's smile faded a little, then forcefully brightened. "No partner, no. I don't know where I would find the time; I'm somewhat of a workaholic."

Ross pondered his words, and then sighed. I tensed as I recognised that sigh; that was Ross Stone's 'I'm about to do something inappropriate, but I really don't care' sigh. "Okay, I have to admit defeat - usually, I can tell just by looking at someone what their sexuality is, but I'm afraid my bi-fi is failing me. Are you bi or are you just picky?"

I resisted the urge to pour my drink directly over his head.

Angelo was surprised, but didn't seem offended. "I suppose I don't have a preference, no," he replied. "Gender doesn't really factor into my type. I believe my assistant says I'm pansexual? I don't know, she was going through an obsessive phase over Buzzfeed quizzes. I suppose I am picky too, though."

I glared at Ross. "Well, now you've got that cleared up, Ross, you should leave immediately and mingle before I injure you."

Ross grinned. "Nice to meet you, Angelo."

"You too," Angelo replied, and Ross left us to it. He chuckled at my furious expression. "It's really alright, Tom. I get asked that a surprising amount, even by clients."

"It was rude," I huffed. "And none of his business."

"Well, it's fairly public knowledge," he shrugged, and took a glass of champagne from the tray circulating near us, handing me it before taking one for himself. "I don't often get asked so blatantly, but it was refreshing in a way. People often dance around the subject for so long. I really don't know why everyone is so interested in my sexuality."

"I have a few guesses," I muttered, and felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

You're welcome! Italian and pansexual, what a combo.

I glared at Ross' text and replied quickly.

You're a dick, you know that? Don't say anything offensive about Italians or pansexuality.

Two replies came quickly, one after the other.

On the contrary, I think both are excellent.

You should absolutely fuck him tho, even I'd let my ass get pounded by that man

I turned my phone off. No good would come from that conversation. I felt my ears heating up, and Angelo was looking at me curiously. I said, "Just Jasper, wanting me to control his boyfriend for the evening. I'm not sure God himself would have that much power. If Ross sees an attractive man, he'll say whatever the heck comes into his head."

Angelo's smile was oddly shy. "Well, shall we circulate the room and try to relieve some people of some money?"

"Let's," I said, relieved to have a distraction. "And I'm going to start with bullying Ross into donating."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 115 16
We pick up book 3 the same night of Art and Fiats wedding. After their perfect vacation it's sobering to return home back to the things they felt the...
7.3K 599 42
Diego Santiago was not your average teenager. He had a loving mother, a great best friend, a beautiful friend, an ex-boyfriend that gave him a traum...
1.6M 76.7K 28
Elliot is, and has always been, stuck in his home town. Sure, it's a fairly large city. Sure, all his family and friends are there. Sure, he has a jo...
50.1K 2.6K 10
This is a short story about a band-obsessed outcasted teen and the handsome barista of the new café. (Cliché, i know. But pfff) Gabe is around his t...