Babyccino

Babyccino

I met Raven on Wednesday, leaving Angelo and Ian in a heated debate over what lighting was best for a marquee in March. The flat was forty-five minutes away from work, which was doable, and the price was decent for a two-bedroom flat in London. Most people my age would have five roommates for the same price closer to the city centre.

We knocked on the door and it was flung open to reveal a guy about my age, beaming at us. I was startled for a moment, because on first impression he looked exactly like Jasper, but once I examined his face a bit more closely I saw the differences. His hair wasn't as blond as Jasper, and his eyes were a light brown. He was also significantly more cheerful than Jasper was.

"Hello!" he greeted us. "Tom and Raven? I'm Owen."

"Yes," Raven replied, shaking his hand. "Thank you for seeing us."

"No worries," Owen smiled, and I got the feeling it was a genuine smile. "Please, come on in."

We followed him into the apartment building and to flat 8. It was a modern building, not a new-build but definitely not old. Owen unlocked the door and opened it, revealing a pleasant-looking flat behind it. It wasn't big, but it had enough room for Raven and I not to be constantly in each other's space. It was partially furnished, but I knew Raven would be bringing her sofa and bed, and I could easily buy a bed.

Owen took Raven through the details about bills and the landlord, while I inspected the flat closely. It had enough kitchen space for my coffee machine, and it had a bath.

"I'm happy," I declared to Raven.

Raven snorted. "That just means it has room for your coffee machine and a bath. Let me have a proper look."

She left us so she could look at the flat herself. Owen grinned at me. "I personally think those are great standards for renting a place."

I fiddled with the hem of my shirt, laughing. "Yeah, I want for little else. Are there any coffee shops nearby?"

"I don't know for sure, but..." Owen checked his watch. "This is my last viewing of the day, so I can walk around with you to find somewhere." He shot me a grin. "Which isn't technically asking you out on a date, because it's part of work."

I blushed a little. "Definitely doesn't sound like a date."

"I'll save asking you on a date for when I'm no longer on shift," he winked.

I couldn't help myself; I laughed. I liked being flirted with, especially when it was from people I didn't expect. Raven called from the bedroom, "I like the size!"

"That's what she said," I said quietly, so she couldn't hear me, but Owen caught it and cracked up. I laughed a little too, but raised my voice and said, "Well we all know you're a size queen!"

She exited the bedroom and cocked an eyebrow. "I think you're confusing me with a very gay drag queen we all know. Speaking of, have you talked to Harper about Ed recently? Edward keeps avoiding the subject."

"Ha, I knew it," I sighed. "I'll have a go, but we might just need to leave them to it."

Raven pursed her lips. "Not our strong suit." She gestured to the flat. "I'm happy. You want to go for it?"

I nodded; usually I wouldn't have chosen somewhere without any other viewings, but this was a good flat and I knew it would be snapped up if we hesitated. Owen beamed and whipped out an iPad, loading up some forms. "Excellent! What move-in date were you thinking?"

"I'm good for any date," I said to Raven. "You've got more of a schedule."

"I was thinking the end of the month," Raven replied, loading up her calendar. "Or the first week of next month. Does that work?"