Americano

Okay so the original chapter for this was written just after my 18th birthday, and I had to acknowledge the fact that that was EIGHT YEARS AGO. I'm in an existential crisis now; time is meaningless.

Also it's hit 30 degrees Celsius where I am (England) and we operate badly once it passes the mid-20s here, we are NOT used to the heat. The underboob sweat is real, pals. T__T

Love, Cam

Americano, No Milk

"So," Edward said, his voice rising out of my phone while I packed boxes. "In summary. You served a super hot Italian guy in the café."

"That really is the least pertinent part of this story, but yes," I replied, writing 'CABLES/CHARGERS AND SHIT' on the box and grabbing the tape dispenser to finish it.

"And then you went to see Harper, and he had a friend who needed someone to help out at that friend's workplace," Edward continued as though he'd not heard a word I said. "And when you get there, hot Italian guy is the boss."

"Yes," I nodded, turning to the next box.

"And then you, after ten minutes, signed up for this job and drove back home to pack up your shit," Edward said, his voice sceptical. "And you're moving in with Harper."

"Yes," I confirmed, grabbing the few books I thought I might need in the next month.

Edward paused thoughtfully, and then said, "You know, I think this might have something to do with the hot Italian guy."

I snorted, packing up my laptop and graphics tablet. "You would say that."

"Hey, I am absolutely happy to say that the hot Italian guy would sway my decision-making," Edward giggled.

"You are such a queen," I grinned to the air, unable to stop myself. "Look, yes, I realise he is very hot. I realise his eyes are intense as fuck and I like that sort of thing. I realise his suit was like, the hottest thing I've ever seen on a human being. I realise that his voice is-"

"Okay, now you sound like me," Edward laughed. "Seriously, though - this is what you want, right? Harper didn't force your hand or anything? I know he wants what is best for you, but they can all go a bit all-in on that sort of thing."

"No, I just..." I paused, trying to process why I had agreed to do this. "I don't know, it just seemed like a good place to work, and it seemed like I would be good at it. The second I entered the office I thought 'oh, there's so much I could do to help here'. The money's pretty good, too, even though I know my cost of living is about to go steeply upwards."

"How's Jenny and Lucie taking it?" Ed asked.

I lowered my voice so they couldn't hear me, and wrote 'BEDROOM CRAP' on a box before taping it up. "Honestly, I don't know. I think they've wanted me to go out and do something new for a while, they just didn't see it coming so suddenly. Which is fair, because neither did I, to be honest."

"I'm just happy you're happy," Edward sounded genuine. He was the only one that hadn't hounded me about dropping out of university when I had, and I appreciated it. Ed had changed jobs so much that I knew he understood that one career path until the day you retire wasn't what everyone was suited for.

"Thanks, babe," I said, hoping he knew how much I appreciated him.

"You should talk to Raves," he suddenly said, as though the thought had just occurred to him. "She's coming to the end of her lease, I think. Maybe she's up for living with someone? If you stay on at the job, I mean."