DARK PARADISE//Xaden Riorson

Od Cas9410

Elaine Mairi had always known she would enter the Riders Quadrant. She was marked with a rebellion relic, lea... Více

DARK PARADISE
ACT I
CHAPTER I - Conscription Day
CHAPTER II - The Parapet
CHAPTER III - Prey
CHAPTER IV - Hold On
CHAPTER V - Battle Brief
CHAPTER VI - Sparring
CHAPTER VII - The Book of Brennan
CHAPTER VIII - Silver Thorntail
CHAPTER IX - On-Mat Challanges
CHAPTER X - The Key
CHAPTER XI - The Gauntlet
CHAPTER XII - She's Not You
CHAPTER XIII - Bonds
CHAPTER XV - Surviving

CHAPTER XIV - Threshing

3.7K 160 21
Od Cas9410

_______________

"Today is Threshing, and everyone is well aware of it."
_______________

The entirety of first years were filled with anxiety and curiosity. From the minute we had made our way across the parapet all those months ago we had thought about this day—and how it might end.

For me, this day just informs me that every minute I spend at this war college is taking me one step closer to my death. But even with those lingering thoughts of a miserable end, I can't help but be excited about what might happen.

Today was Threshing, and everyone was well aware of it. All the deaths and pain and training had been leading up to this moment. The moment when we as first years stood and faced whether out efforts had been all for nothing or if a dragon would choose us to be their riders.

Violet and Rhiannon are beside me, a sword strapped across Rhiannon's back. Professor Kaori stands in front of us, explaining everything that will happen today.

"Remember to listen here, If a dragon has already selected you, they'll be calling." He pauses. "So pay attention to not just your surroundings but your feelings, and go with them. And if your feelings are telling you to go in the other direction...listen to that, too."

"Which one are you going for?" Rhiannon asks Violet and I quietly.

"I don't know." Violet shakes her head.

"Neither do I." I say. I feel as if I should, many first years already know what dragon they will be seeking out, when I talked to Liam he at least at some idea of the dragon he wanted to bond with. I however, had no clue.

"You memorized the cards, right?" Rhiannon asks, lifting her brows. "So you know what's out there?"

"Yes. I just don't feel connected to any of them." Violet said, looking down at her feet. "Dain tried talking me into a brown."

"Dain lost his vote when he tried talking you into leaving," Rhiannon counters and I agree with her.

"What about you?" I question Rhiannon.

She grins. "I'm thinking about that green. The one closest to me when they got all up close and personal with you."

"Well, it didn't eat you, so that's a promising start." Violet says and I let out a quiet chuckle.

"I think so, too." Rhiannon says, linking one arm with mine and her other with Violet's.

"If you go in groups, you're more likely to be incinerated than bonded," Professor Kaori argues with someone at the centre of the valley. "The scribes have run the statistics. You're better off on your own."

"And what if we aren't chosen by dinner?" A man closer to the front of the group asks.

I look over my shoulder, aware of someone staring at me. Jack Barlowe stares directly at me, his icy blue eyes filled with anger. He runs his finger across his neck in a slicing motion, a threat. I narrow my eyes at him before turning my head back around.

"If you're not chosen by nightfall, there's a problem," Professor Kaori responds. "You'll be brought out by a professor or senior leadership, so don't give up and think we've forgotten about you." He looks down at his pocket watch. "Remember to spread out and use every foot of this valley to your advantage. It's nine, which means they should be flying in any minute now. The only other words I have for you are 'good luck.'"

Professor Kaori leaves with a final look of what I could have sworn was sadness. This was the last time all of us would be standing here, because we all knew that not all 147 of us would be walking out of this alive.

"Be careful." Rhiannon says to Violet and I, pulling us into a group hug.

"You too." I say to the both of them, squeezing tight.

"Don't die," Ridoc orders us and I can't help but smile.

I can't help but feel some regrets as I turn on my heel and walk away, either towards my death or another day, though with a dragon by my side.

...

I have no way to know what time it is apart from the position of the sun. Guessing by that I believe that around two hours have passed. Two hours and I have not bonded with a dragon yet. I supposed I shouldn't be so hard on myself, but when your life was on the line it was hard not to.

I've come across three browns, one orange and four greens--

I almost scream as I see a red walk in front of the field I am standing in. It's large wings flex as if its stretching. My eyes don't leave the beast as it walks by. I can't help but hope that this is going to be my dragon.

But I know it isn't. I'm not sure how, but I know its not my dragon.

I hold my breath as it swoops its massive head towards. I quickly bow my head towards the ground, not wanting to make eye contact. I hear its massive footfalls as it walks away.

I had seen cadets fly out of the valley for the past hour. They are already waiting with their dragons while I walk around uselessly, hoping that I will make it out of the valley alive.

Suddenly I hear voices and I freeze.

"I'm telling you, I think I saw it headed this way." A cocky voice says. I immediately know its Tynan.

"You'd better be right, because if we just hiked all the way the fuck over here just to find nothing, I'm going to run you through." My stomach turns to knots. Jack. He's here which means if he finds me, he will stop at nothing to kill me.

"You sure we shouldn't be spending our time looking for our own dragons instead of hunting the freak down?" Another voice I know. Oren.

I dart to a bush, hiding underneath the greenery. I listen closely to what they are saying and hope that they will to find me.

"It's not like our dragons are going to bond other riders," Jack snaps. "They'll wait for us. This has to be done. That scrawny one is going to get someone killed. We have to take it out."

Shit.

"If we get caught, we're fucked," Oren comments. I'm confused as they continue talking. What are they trying to do?

"Then you'd better shut your mouth so no one hears us," Tynan counters.

"It's for the best," Jack argues, his voice dropping to a quieter tone. "It's unrideable, a certified freak, and you know feathertails are useless in combat. They refuse to fight." His voice fades as they walk farther from my hiding spot, north.

Toward the clearing professor Kaori talked about.

"Shit," I mutter under my breath, realizing finally what they intend to do.

The dragon they were referring to must have been the small gold one we had seen when we had walked through the valley. That dragon would stand no chance against the group, it was barely large enough to be considered a dragon.

There was no way of notifying Professor Kaori, and even if I was able to, would I even have been able to reach him in time? Before I knew what I was doing my feet were moving. Moving north, towards Jack and his group of killers.

I keep my footfalls quiet as I run. I'm able to do this well, keeping myself hidden. The fighting part might prove to be more difficult, however.

I pick up my pace, not looking where my feet are landing. This time, luckily, a root doesn't get the best of me and make me fall. I get to the clearing quickly, realizing that I managed to beat Jack.

The golden dragon sits perched on a rock, its face positioned up to the sky, its golden scales glowing in the sunlight. It looks so peaceful, completely unaware of what might become of it.

"You have to get out of here!" I say, motioning with my hands to try and get the dragons attention. "They're going to kill you if you don't leave!"

It moves its small head towards me.

"Yes!" I whisper loudly. "You! Goldie!"

It blinks its golden eyes and swishes its tail.

"Go! Run! Fly!" I shoo at it, my movements frantic.

The trees rustle. I close my eyes, knowing that Jack has officially reached the clearing. So much for trying to get the dragon out of here before Jack arrived.

"Shit," I mutter.

The dragon directs its gaze to the tree, a low grumbling in its chest.

"We'll make it painless," Jack says as he walks into the clearing, his group following him.

"Scorch them," I whisper-shout to the golden dragon. It simply just directs its gaze to me. This is going to be hard if the dragon can't even put up a fight.

The dragon backs up as Jack moves closer. I feel a pain in my heart as I watch the dragon, defenceless against Jack, almost like me. The only reason Jack didn't kill me all those weeks ago was because of Xaden. The boy who I hadn't even talked to in the last two weeks. And he certainly wouldn't be showing up today.

"You can't do this!" I yell as I reveal myself. Jack whips his cool gaze to me, narrowing his eyes at me, his mouth moving into a cruel grin.

"Oh, look!" Jack says, motioning his hands. "We can take out the weakling and the daughter of a traitor at the same time! All we're missing the weakest of the cadets." Jack finishes, smirking at his friends. "Been waiting a long time for this, Mairi and this time your little boyfriend won't be here to stop me." He says, walking slowly towards me.

"If you can fly, now would be a good time," I shout behind me to the little golden dragon.

The dragon doesn't move, only chuffs. Incredibly helpful.

"You can't kill a dragon," I say, trying to reason with Jack. But he can kill me.

"Sure we can." Jack says, shrugging. Oren and Tynan nod their heads in agreement.

"You can't," I say, directing my gaze to Oren. "It goes against everything we believe in!"

He flinches. Jack does not.

"Letting something so weak, so incapable of fighting, live is against our beliefs!" Jack responds, shouting.

"You're going to have to get through me, then." I say, my heart thumping in my chest. My body is on fire with nerves and my hands are shaking. I could maybe take one of them, but not all three of them. Jack will win this time, and I know that deep down.

"I don't really consider that a problem," Jack laughs slightly.

They all lift their swords as I move closer to the golden dragon. I am going to die today, and so is the dragon beside me. I meet the golden dragon's eyes and in them I see the same fear as mine. I give the dragon a small smile, letting it know that it will not die alone.

"I would strongly recommend you rethink your actions," I freeze.

It's his voice.

Xaden's voice.

I turn my head abruptly around, meeting Xaden's dark eyes. My body fills with hope as I stare at him. The ends of his lips turn into a slight smile and I know then that I will live.

Xaden leans against a tree, Sgaeyl watches Jack and his group, a promised death in her eyes. Jack stumbles backwards and I can't help but smile as I stand up and walk towards Xaden, finding my place beside him.

"What's wrong Jack, scared because my little boyfriend showed up?" I say, knowing it's a cocky and arrogant response but saying it nonetheless.

Xaden looks down at me and shakes his head slightly. His lips are turned into a slight smile. 

Seeing the fear in Jack's eyes, I know we will win this one.

____________

Scenes from chapter 13 of Fourth Wing were used.

I know I have not posted in a long time and for that I am sorry. I am hoping to post two chapters this weekend so watch out for that. Thank you for the people who have stuck around this long and have a good day!

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

100K 4.5K 79
Freya Sorrengail. The halfblood. Born different than her siblings she always stood out. Whether it was appearance or how she acted. When she gets th...
7.6K 301 6
the mask of a monster hiding the broken and corrupted heart of a young woman. xaden riorson x f!oc fourth wing - tbd january 24, 2024 - tbd ...
35.5K 1.6K 23
He's always in control... She's always wild... When Conscription Day comes, Danica Hawthorne readies herself for the day she's been preparing for her...