CHAPTER XIV - Threshing

_______________

"Today is Threshing, and everyone is well aware of it

"Today is Threshing, and everyone is well aware of it."
_______________

The entirety of first years were filled with anxiety and curiosity. From the minute we had made our way across the parapet all those months ago we had thought about this day—and how it might end.

For me, this day just informs me that every minute I spend at this war college is taking me one step closer to my death. But even with those lingering thoughts of a miserable end, I can't help but be excited about what might happen.

Today was Threshing, and everyone was well aware of it. All the deaths and pain and training had been leading up to this moment. The moment when we as first years stood and faced whether out efforts had been all for nothing or if a dragon would choose us to be their riders.

Violet and Rhiannon are beside me, a sword strapped across Rhiannon's back. Professor Kaori stands in front of us, explaining everything that will happen today.

"Remember to listen here, If a dragon has already selected you, they'll be calling." He pauses. "So pay attention to not just your surroundings but your feelings, and go with them. And if your feelings are telling you to go in the other direction...listen to that, too."

"Which one are you going for?" Rhiannon asks Violet and I quietly.

"I don't know." Violet shakes her head.

"Neither do I." I say. I feel as if I should, many first years already know what dragon they will be seeking out, when I talked to Liam he at least at some idea of the dragon he wanted to bond with. I however, had no clue.

"You memorized the cards, right?" Rhiannon asks, lifting her brows. "So you know what's out there?"

"Yes. I just don't feel connected to any of them." Violet said, looking down at her feet. "Dain tried talking me into a brown."

"Dain lost his vote when he tried talking you into leaving," Rhiannon counters and I agree with her.

"What about you?" I question Rhiannon.

She grins. "I'm thinking about that green. The one closest to me when they got all up close and personal with you."

"Well, it didn't eat you, so that's a promising start." Violet says and I let out a quiet chuckle.

"I think so, too." Rhiannon says, linking one arm with mine and her other with Violet's.

"If you go in groups, you're more likely to be incinerated than bonded," Professor Kaori argues with someone at the centre of the valley. "The scribes have run the statistics. You're better off on your own."

"And what if we aren't chosen by dinner?" A man closer to the front of the group asks.

I look over my shoulder, aware of someone staring at me. Jack Barlowe stares directly at me, his icy blue eyes filled with anger. He runs his finger across his neck in a slicing motion, a threat. I narrow my eyes at him before turning my head back around.