CHAPTER XV - Surviving

________________

"I realized in that moment that I have survived threshing

"I realized in that moment that I have survived threshing."

__________________

I have never been so happy to see Xaden in my entire life—and that's saying a lot.

I stare at Jack, the fear in his eyes making me almost smile. After all the shit he's done to me and Violet, finally, he gets to feel the same terror and pain as Violet and I did.

"And if we don't want to rethink our actions?" Jack shouts at me and Xaden.

Xaden looks down at me then back up to Jack, looking at the first year like he is a complete idiot. I suppose Jack probably is, not many people would dare question Xaden, not with Sgaeyl standing right behind him.

"There's nothing you can do, right? Wingleader?" Jack bellows, standing up tall.

I guess he does know the rules.

"It's not me you should worry about today," Xaden responds, just as Sgaeyl lets out a puff of steaming hot smoke.

"You really going to do this?" I ask Tynan. "Attack a squadmate?"

"Squads don't mean shit today," he says back, though I swear I can see a tiny ounce of remorse.

"So I guess that's a no on the flying?" I say to the golden dragon that had slowly made its way closer to me and Xaden. "Well, can you at least back me up with your claws? Or maybe fire?" I say, raising my eyes at the dragon.

It chuffs twice, making me look down at it's claws...or rather lack there of.

"You have got to be kidding me." I mutter. "You don't have claws?" I hiss at the dragon.

The dragon just chuffs again and I roll my eyes. Before I can say anything again, I see Jack charging towards me. I dodge him as Xaden jumps out of the way. Before I know it Oren and Tynan are running at me. They know they can't attack Xaden, and Xaden can't attack them, so that leaves me as a target.

I grab a dagger that rests on my thigh. I quickly unsheathe it, rocketing it at Tynan so quickly he doesn't even see it coming before it hits his arm. He lets out a cry, ripping the dagger from his arm.

Oren takes a swing at my head but I duck quickly. Jack has picked himself off the ground and now runs at me with his sword, aiming right at my stomach. I dodge but I take a hit from Oren.