CHAPTER VI - Sparring

____________

 "Rule number one of sparring: don't let your guard down

"Rule number one of sparring: don't let your guard down."
____________

"You seriously knew every answer in history and apparently every right question to ask in Battle Brief," Rhiannon exclaims at my side. I shrug. "You're not even going to have to study for tests, are you?" She asks.

The two of us stand with the first-years on one side of the gym while the second-years and third-years stand on the other. The older cadets have the advantage, having had combat training for at least a year.

"I liked to read a lot of history books." I say, Rhiannon shrugs.

Violet stands quietly beside me, examining the twenty-ish mats lining the floors of the gym. I look over to where Violet is. Unfortunately I see Jack, staring at me with a look that could kill.

"Guess that means you're not worried about academics," Rhiannon says, her brows raising.

"Stop circling each other like your dance partners and attack!" Professor Emetterio orders from across the mat where Ridoc and another girl in my wing—Aurelie—circle each other.

"I'm worried about this," I hear Violet tell Rhiannon, lifting her chin at the mat.

"Really?" Rhiannon shoots Violet a look. "I figured as a Sorrengail, you'd be a hand-to-hand threat."

"Not exactly." Violet says.

I watch as Ridoc launches himself toward Aurelie, she ducks, just barely missing his punch and sweeps out her leg, making him trip and hit the mat with a loud thud. He gets up quickly, staggering slightly. He has a dagger in his hand now, running at Aurelie.

"No blades today!" Professor Emetterio bellows to Ridoc. "We're just assessing!"

Ridoc grumbles, sheathing his dagger. He just dodges a right hook from Aurelie, stumbling back and letting out a curse.

"The brunette packs a punch," Rhiannon says with an smile, looking my way.

"What about you?" I ask as Ridoc lands a punch to Aurelie's ribs.

"Shit!" Ridoc exclaims, backing away from Aurelie and shaking his head. "I don't want to hurt you."

Aurelie holds her ribs, lifting her chin. "Who said you hurt me?" She asks with a smirk.

"Pulling your punches does her a disservice," Dain says, folding his strong arms over his chest. "The Cygnis on the northeast border aren't going to give her any quarter because she's a woman if she falls from her dragon behind enemy lines, Ridoc. They'll kill her just the same."

"Let's go!" Aurelie shouts, motioning with her fingers for Ridoc to come at her. Ridoc charges, Aurelie dodges, taking a jab at Ridoc's kidneys.

Ouch. That had got to hurt.